🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Coral

9 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

@Coral.  Whistler was beautiful and it appears the good weather has followed you to Vancouver. Keeping fingers crossed that it continues throughout your cruise.  Happy embarkation day tomorrow.  I am jealous!

Half of my suitcase contents includes my Eddie Bauer puffer jacket, 2 rain jackets (light and heavier) ear protection, scarf, gloves, etc.... I started packing 2 weeks ago because my last week was crazy (finals week, graduation, etc...) and at the time, snow and rain were predicted. So far, the weather looks pretty good! I know things can change at a moment's notice. Keeping fingers crossed also. I just want dry - I can handle cool. I am actually trying to cool down from my time at Capilano Bridge today.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi, also for to ask you, when you get to the Crown, am wantin to know if the ship is facing in towards the city, an is it docked on the west side of canada place, next to the convention center?

I forgot is what I was gonna ask. Forgive my manners!!!

On 5/10/2023 at 8:05 AM, Coral said:

I am a Glacier Bay person also. Usually when I go to Hubbard, we miss it or I don't get close. I think I have only gotten close a few times. I also wish this had Glacier Bay.

Though - more importantly - this schedule has a full day in Juneau, which allows me to go on AdventureBound Alaska (small boat ride all day to Tracy Arm) and this is my all time favorite excursion. Honestly - if I couldn't do this private excursion on this cruise, I would not have booked this cruise. It wasn't listed on their website (May wasn't listed) but I called and they are going. I love this excursion. If you haven't looked at this excursion - I would highly recommend it: https://www.adventureboundalaska.com. It is up close and personal!

We did the excursion from the Nieuw Amsterdam in May 2017 where we were hoping to get to Tracy Arm but there was too much ice so we ended up going to Endicott Arm instead. It was an amazing day and when we do cruise Alaska again both my husband and I said we need to pick a cruise that either offers that excursion or the timing would be right that we could book it on our own and the dates I'm looking at on the Crown offer that excursion. If we don't make it to Alaska this year we'll go next year or in 2025 😀 Enjoy your excursion on AdventureBound and thank you for the link   

On 5/10/2023 at 4:26 PM, Coral said:

There are bear proof garbage cans everywhere, signs that say "fed bears are dead bears" warning people to not feed the bears. There were both bikers and walkers on the trails but not a lot. So yes - there was the chance of bears and I definitely was not prepared for them. Last time, I had my German Shepherd with me and asked the hotel about bear encounters. They said "don't worry - bears won't bother you with that fierce German Shepherd". My response was "this fierce German Shepherd will be in my arms if we run into bears". This trail sort of followed a golf course that I could see through the trees at times. I had heard that bears are sited on the golf course at times. I guess it sort of feels like Alaska. You know you can potentially see them but you are not that afraid of them as you expect they will stay in the distance.

Yes - all prices are Canadian. It still seems expensive. I purchased 3 bottles of my favorite toothpaste (no longer sold in the US) - and it was $7 a piece. It would be $3-$4 in the US. Though I have to remember I am in a tourist area. 

Everything is so clean here in Whistler. Everybody is so friendly. I have run into people from all over (Korea, Australia, Italy) on the trails this morning.

I wish I had a car to go into Squamish area (near where Shannon Falls was). Next time! It would be fun to do this gondola: https://www.seatoskygondola.com 

There is also Peak to Peak gondola in Whistler (between Blackcomb and Whistler mountain) but it is closed for 3 weeks and this happens to be during those 3 weeks:

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/summer-activities/peak-2-peak-360-experience/peak-2-peak-gondola.aspx 

We loved the Sea to Sky Gondola, I highly recommend it, such beautiful views from the top! We will be going back next time we cruise Alaska and based on your pictures and reports on Whistler I think we will need to spend a few days there too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 3 WI Cruisers said:

We loved the Sea to Sky Gondola, I highly recommend it, such beautiful views from the top! We will be going back next time we cruise Alaska and based on your pictures and reports on Whistler I think we will need to spend a few days there too.

I would love to spend time in Squamish. I would have loved to do Sea to Sky Gondola and spend more time at Shannon Falls park. Next time!

Whistler is the best laid out Ski Resort I have been to. It was planned well and most of it is pedestrian only areas (hotels are on the side so people can be dropped off at the hotel and not drive within the ski resort). They have more summer visitors than winter. Both times I have gone have been off season. It was mid-September last time - I think I did a Vancouver to LA cruise and visited before getting on the ship. I was amazed at all the people I met from outside of the US and Canada who knew of Whistler and people where I live have never heard of it (though we are in driving distance of Colorado).

13 minutes ago, 3 WI Cruisers said:

We did the excursion from the Nieuw Amsterdam in May 2017 where we were hoping to get to Tracy Arm but there was too much ice so we ended up going to Endicott Arm instead. It was an amazing day and when we do cruise Alaska again both my husband and I said we need to pick a cruise that either offers that excursion or the timing would be right that we could book it on our own and the dates I'm looking at on the Crown offer that excursion. If we don't make it to Alaska this year we'll go next year or in 2025 😀 Enjoy your excursion on AdventureBound and thank you for the link   

I have also gone to Endicott Arm a few times (and not planned) 🙂 

49 minutes ago, Coral said:

I ate dinner at the Keg. I last ate at lunch yesterday and have been eating from my granola bar stack. So quantity of food was required.:

IMG_2011.jpeg

Wow, prices on that menu are less expensive than they are for the same items at our local Keg here in Arizona.  Excellent choice!

More pics from Capilano park - specifically crossing the suspension bridge, the walkways on the other side (Nature's Edge), the menu of the Cliffhouse, picture of Waffle place, etc.... I did not do the tree houses (you can see them in the background in some pics). This was daring enough for me. Sorry - the order isn't great on this.IMG_2005.thumb.jpeg.4453713d0b0d21024d48b095e7e32ca9.jpegIMG_2003.thumb.jpeg.bc591d088c766347c18e0696814ffd78.jpegIMG_2002.thumb.jpeg.04e401019b5ccfef26e6053d6276834d.jpegIMG_2001.thumb.jpeg.c1ed56c87bfaf48d188cc93d2644d965.jpegIMG_1998.thumb.jpeg.7662c9aacfd4cb35c35f230e27972514.jpegIMG_1997.thumb.jpeg.68b47d4b0dfa0a1d84f533b6bde1d732.jpegIMG_1995.thumb.jpeg.650b11dd4cb7c53fd01ad2663c6f638b.jpegIMG_1991.thumb.jpeg.bbf8725190acb7164831d563e98aab69.jpegIMG_1986.thumb.jpeg.de88c6eb37ed5773a83464f005b2d834.jpegIMG_1985.thumb.jpeg.03d99ff5cb7589c832204ff4b4bad32c.jpegIMG_1984.thumb.jpeg.917f8214270f219c1b1b068b51ac9b38.jpegIMG_1983.thumb.jpeg.29e354add82531c00c47606db4c5747c.jpegIMG_1982.thumb.jpeg.be04bf21c50c549357e1495bc42e9f8b.jpegIMG_1981.thumb.jpeg.37e7896c13b4e75276349d95ddc886a3.jpegIMG_1979.thumb.jpeg.24ffab3f12d8dd9d5dd2aa610f3df049.jpegIMG_1978.thumb.jpeg.c834fdbf144a06de2bac999a775e5333.jpegIMG_1967.thumb.jpeg.c784fd2c9db9d542a9bd5c4651e0fa3d.jpegIMG_1965.thumb.jpeg.5b8b738b1eeaf5ff16e566bef1028f0b.jpegIMG_1964.thumb.jpeg.1a03d088a5f05731442df7da07f3956d.jpeg

• Like 8

On 5/10/2023 at 8:05 AM, Coral said:

I am a Glacier Bay person also. Usually when I go to Hubbard, we miss it or I don't get close. I think I have only gotten close a few times. I also wish this had Glacier Bay.

Though - more importantly - this schedule has a full day in Juneau, which allows me to go on AdventureBound Alaska (small boat ride all day to Tracy Arm) and this is my all time favorite excursion. Honestly - if I couldn't do this private excursion on this cruise, I would not have booked this cruise. It wasn't listed on their website (May wasn't listed) but I called and they are going. I love this excursion. If you haven't looked at this excursion - I would highly recommend it: https://www.adventureboundalaska.com. It is up close and personal!

I totally agree with you.

B

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nini said:

@Coral Thank you so much for sharing your journey with is. Your photos are lovely. We live "next door" to British Columbia and your suggestion to hang out first at Whistler are brilliant.

I love Washington and British Columbia - you live in such a beautiful place!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Wow, prices on that menu are less expensive than they are for the same items at our local Keg here in Arizona.  Excellent choice!

The Keg is getting pretty expensive now. 45.00 for a basic teriyaki steak dinner seems like a lot to me, then add on a drink and dessert for two people, plus the gratuity,and you are at almost 200.00 now.   I guess if you are from the USA our Canadian prices look good. They have lots of competition here in Vancouver, too. It’s still a decent place to go but we find it pretty noisy, but I think we are just too old for it. We are definitely not the clientele they are gong for. 

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

For us newbies to Vancouver, where else would you suggest we look at?

It really depends on where you are staying. Restaurants near the port or in the hotels there are pricey, too. 

We live just outside Vancouver so we don’t typically need a pre cruise evening dinner down there, if we do we typically stick with the chain restaurants. If you want something where you can eat outside, head to the Yaletown district, very walkable from the  popular hotels. There’s a Cactus club, Earls Kitchen and a Keg there, too. 
There’s also an Original Joes just off Robison St. We also like Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown for a medium priced meal. Also walkable from the port area. 
You could also just a walk and try one of the small local restaurants, but I don’t have any recommendations for those. 

if you want to do take out and visit Stanley Park for a picnic, that’s fun, too. 

I hope you are on board and already enjoying your trip... or perhaps I should say part two - Whistler looks incredible! Thanks for the posts - wonderful photos and great to read as well. 

I have an unusual request should you be in the shops on board. If you notice fountain pens in any of the shops, I would love to know. I'll be getting on the crown just after you disembark, and that's the one item I am hoping for as a souvenir for my whole trip. I fear the onboard shops won't have any - and it's not terribly likely in Alaska - so I may have to look around on my one day in Vancouver before cruising. 
I know it's an odd one - but if you happen to notice I'd appreciate it. 

Regardless, I hope you have a marvellous cruise and will certainly be following along. Thanks for the great posts!

1 hour ago, Happiest when cruising said:

It really depends on where you are staying. Restaurants near the port or in the hotels there are pricey, too. 

We live just outside Vancouver so we don’t typically need a pre cruise evening dinner down there, if we do we typically stick with the chain restaurants. If you want something where you can eat outside, head to the Yaletown district, very walkable from the  popular hotels. There’s a Cactus club, Earls Kitchen and a Keg there, too. 
There’s also an Original Joes just off Robison St. We also like Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown for a medium priced meal. Also walkable from the port area. 
You could also just a walk and try one of the small local restaurants, but I don’t have any recommendations for those. 

if you want to do take out and visit Stanley Park for a picnic, that’s fun, too. 

It is sort of funny - I have heard many Canadians tell me that things must be cheap for the Americans. I found Whistler and Vancouver very expensive (regardless of restaurant).

I have been to Earl's and Spaghetti Factory previously (did not like Spaghetti Factory). I really wanted to eat at Mahoney's Tavern. Though last time I was there - it was Mahoney's and Son's and I preferred that menu instead.

I was exhausted yesterday as I am still on Central Time. I only had a granola bar yesterday. So when I was done at Capilano's Bridge - I wanted something familiar and the Keg was it. I remember going with my Mom years ago (2001?) and I knew I would leave full. That is how that was decided. Not much thought went into it.

• Like 1

Internet is slow. I will post pictures later.

I woke up early and took a walk around the waterfront. I called the bellman at 8 to pick up my luggage (Pan Pacific Bellman picked it up and I tipped him $10 - they then take it to the ship). I left for the ship at 9:50 and things went really quick. I think I was sitting by 10:15 or so. We sat in an area before they us into another area which had an Elite/Platinum Lounge. I believe I was on the ship and in my room by 11:06.

I did not have my medallion before the cruise. Picking it up at the pier took an extra 2 seconds and that was it. Not a big deal.

Celebrity Millennium Scenic Eclipse and Crown Princess were in port today.

I tried to get OBC for my Elite bar setup by asking for coffee cards and OBC for the cost of the coffee cards. No go. I ended up buying Plus as I had $600 OBC. It cost $660 (so cheaper onboard if you have Princess insurance). 

I had lunch with some friends I met at a small CC gathering last night at the hotel. My usual (ravioli, beef tenderloin and orange soufflé). Food was good.

It is warm right now - feels like 75ish. I went to our CC gathering and felt like I was getting a sunburn. We had a good showing. We will gather again tomorrow AM in Skywalkers.

My one suitcase was confiscated for having a potential bad item in it. It is a power strip I have taken on every cruise for 20 years. I find out tomorrow if I can get it back during the cruise or if I have to wait until the end of the cruise. The electricians are going to look at it. So one suitcase came early and the other I had to go down to Security to get it (Deck 4). First time I have had to do that.

Sailaway was late.

We have less than 2400 passengers on the Crown.

284 Elite

433 Platinum

196 Ruby

429 Gold

There are a lot of Canadians onboard. I would be curious the breakdown between Canadians and those of us from the States.

@Italy52 I did ask for a removable shower head and my room steward took care of it for me.

• Like 3