31 days on HAL vs 14 on Princess

canadarocks

I've been reluctant to share the following because I've been a staunch Holland America supporter since 2009. And I know how fierce HAL supporters here can be, as I have been one of them.

DH & I are 4* Mariners with HAL and Platinum with Princess (a ways away from Elite). We cruised a B2B2B on the Rotterdam in the Caribbean this past winter, followed immediately by a B2B on the Sky Princess. So, at least in my opinion, the very best chance to compare the two brands.

The first 10 day cruise on HAL, I was totally content. Happy to finally be back cruising, ecstatic to have a beautiful Deck 4 balcony cabin with easy access to the Aft Pool. Early dining at a not so great location, but with the nicest combo of servers. Nice enough that we never asked to be moved over our 31 days onboard. Met our favorite HAL entertainment staff member ever, Leanne, who oversaw our trivia and other games. Loved the Step One dance troupe and the retro Rock & Roll show.

On the second leg, an 11 day, I was surprised that the evening Main Stage entertainment schedule was virtually identical to the first 10 days. Three Step One shows (which we absolutely LOVED and watched a second time), two Planet Earth shows (one of which we rewatched on the 1st leg and had seen back in 2020), and an "Origin Story" night. A very lackluster "magician/mentalist" and a wonderful comedienne, Kelly MacFarland. But on the second leg, we also realized that the "bloom had left the rose" and it became obvious how little there was to do (especially with the repetitive shows) in the evenings and during the day. Music Walks shows were all repeats. And to both of our surprise, we realized that the MDR dinners were truly nothing special.

The 3rd leg of 10 days was more of the same. We ate in the MDR twice, the last time only to say goodbye to our two great servers. After two cycles, there wasn't anything we wanted to order. I think that was truly the biggest surprise, as we have ALWAYS been completely satisfied with HAL MDR food. Evening entertainment was again the same, 6 nights repeats and, this time, mentalist combo and comedian who were truly not good. Again a retro Rock & Roll show that was enjoyable.....

Princess was very very different..... and as happy as I was in the moment onboard the Sky Princess,  it kind of broke my HAL loving heart. 

We cruise on HAL, Princess and Celebrity, but mostly Princess lately. You didn’t really say in what way your Princess experience was different or better. I’d be interested to know.

As far as the repetition in menus, entertainment, etc, we have only done one B2B which was on Princess and while it didn’t bother us there was certainly repetition. I am certainly not a defender of HAL (I have my own personal beef with them from our last cruise), but I don’t think the cruise lines are really designing their menus and entertainment with the idea that people will stay on for 3 cruises in a row. It seems to be much more common now to do this, but we should expect that there will be some sameness.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 6

Of course Princess will have better onboard evening entertainment. Also, a more comparable   Dining experience would be to have back-to-back 14 day cruises on Princess. Pretty sure MDR menu would start to look the same as well. While 31 days in the Caribbean may not showcase the advantages of HAL of better itineraries, there probably are fewer repeats of ports than a Princess 28- day booking. In any case, it is good to have options and select a cruise line on what preferences and priorities you have. 31 days at sea on any mainstream cruise ship is better than 31 days of the office.

• Like 3

I don't think it's surprising that a person might be ready to get off after 31 days, and that it shouldn't be a surprise that menus and entertainment repeat over that period. 

Some would be happy to stay on. But I suspect the vast majority would be ready to get off.

• Like 2

B2B2B are very different from a total separate long cruise. A B2B is always going to have repeated menus and entertainment whereas a long cruise (like Voyage of the Vikings) will have variety the whole segment. Don’t judge a company if you just do “long cruises “ that are B2B2B.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, janmcn said:

B2B2B are very different from a total separate long cruise. A B2B is always going to have repeated menus and entertainment whereas a long cruise (like Voyage of the Vikings) will have variety the whole segment. Don’t judge a company if you just do “long cruises “ that are B2B2B.

Well said.  I did 31 days on Oosterdam in March/April from Buenos Aires to Port Everglades and while there was some repetition of items on the MDR menu, there was enough choice to satisfy me, at least.  And the Lido buffet had some special nights themed around various ports in South America, including fresh fish brought aboard in Chile. So there were plenty of options.

Entertainment was a bit more repetitive, but there weren't too many opportunities to swap out performers as there are on Caribbean cruises. An excellent Motown tribute group boarded in Lima and did several shows on he main stage before we got to Florida.

By day 31, I was ready to go home, but it wasn't because the cruise had become "same old, same old".

• Like 3

Well, having recently done two 14 day cruises on the Volendam this winter/spring in the Caribbean.. you're right ..B2B's can be the same cruises sometimes. The food, entertainment, all repeats, but there is new stuff too: passengers, second visits to ports for new excursions, the weather conditions, the sea conditions, the same smiling staff that really gets to know you, you're so relaxed nothing ruffles your feathers. You get a second chance to try new food/show/talks/things that you missed on the first segment. It took the pressure off fitting it all in the first go around. Longer cruises are a bit more varied, but the B2B can be just as varied for us as they will bring on new comedians and entertainers and crew. Not everyone will experience it the same way, which is also fun to witness. I am just happy to be on board, and the fact that we can stay in our same room and at our same table for dinner and not have to worry about anything for the duration is relaxing enough for us. Where ever you go, no matter how long or short, may all you days be relaxing days at sea. 

• Like 9

Just sharing my experience. I expected the third leg to be repetitive as it was almost identical to the first. But since the first and second legs were also sold as a 21 day cruise, I (perhaps foolishly) expected them to be different. To each his own. Happy Cruising! 

36 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Just sharing my experience. I expected the third leg to be repetitive as it was almost identical to the first. But since the first and second legs were also sold as a 21 day cruise, I (perhaps foolishly) expected them to be different. To each his own. Happy Cruising! 

HAL does this quite often. I purchased my recent 28-day Japan trip as a whole, but I was also well aware that it could be purchased in two 14-day segments -- so I was not expecting it to be one continuous voyage. The downsides to doing this are now apparent to you. 

Foodwise, I thought having similar menus at two-week intervals was not bad, especially on menus where there was more than one appealing choice. Three times might be tough...  

Entertainment-wise, HAL struggled on this trip. Even on the first segment there was barely enough evening activity. Once the Lincoln Center Stage was gone (second half) it was really dire, particularly due to instances where entertainers or shows (e.g., Step One) were cancelled for one reason or another -- seasickness, injuries, rough seas -- it all added up to too many nights where the World Stage was dark.

• Like 1

Granted, it’s been 11 years since I last sailed HAL but I found if the cruise was 7 days BUT could be booked as a 14 day collectors voyage, the menus did not repeat over the two weeks.  Even on our 24 day collectors voyage, the menus did not repeat.  However, entertainment is not as easy to vary.  EM

We sailed aboard the Nieuw Statendam in 2019 on a 20-day Mediterranean Collector Voyage. I cannot remember the menus repeating plus the food was very good- and we would have loved to stay aboard for another 20 days! This was unlike my Coast Guard days where the cutter had two cooks onboard that alternated 24 on - 24 off. One cook was good while the other was really, really bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We did a 17 day Panama Canal (San Diego to Ft Lauderdale) in Oct 22. I was surprised the shows and menus repeated weekly (so on a couple days, the shows were on for a third run that trip). But I realized the previous cruises and the ones following ours were all 6 - 7 days. So they didn't change things up  for this one repo cruise. 

On another note, I've often thought of doing a B2B on two different lines - like sailing into Ft Lauderdale on one cruise line, then out the same day on a different one. How great would it be to leave one ship and board another (after hanging out for while waiting for boarding, of course!)?

Anyone ever done this? 

12 minutes ago, markwfpb said:

On another note, I've often thought of doing a B2B on two different lines - like sailing into Ft Lauderdale on one cruise line, then out the same day on a different one. How great would it be to leave one ship and board another (after hanging out for while waiting for boarding, of course!)?

Anyone ever done this? 

Did just that. Hence the original post. 😆 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, markwfpb said:

Anyone ever done this? 

A number of people have. You can tell, for example, on the Florida Departures board, by those who ask about how to get from one Terminal to another.

20 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

We cruise on HAL, Princess and Celebrity, but mostly Princess lately. You didn’t really say in what way your Princess experience was different or better. I’d be interested to know.

Sorry I missed this question earlier... Truly more fun activities than we've ever experienced on Princess. Multiple trivia games, game shows, etc. etc. Main Stage shows repeated on the 2nd leg, but it didn't matter because of all the other stuff to do. For the first time the MDR food was better on Princess than it was on Holland America. Better drinks (we had drink packages on both lines) and far better bar service. 

Features we much preferred on HAL: the Aft Pool and our 4th deck aft balcony. Specialty dining was better on the Rotterdam as well, especially the Canaletto.

On previous cruises we've been blown away by the wonderful HAL crew members. This time Sky Princess matched HAL with their great crew. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

A number of people have. You can tell, for example, on the Florida Departures board, by those who ask about how to get from one Terminal to another.

Great, thanks for pointing out where to find that kind of thing - I'll look at the Florida board!

6 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Your experience defines why I wrote to HAL and told them their Alaska itineraries were boring.  Sail north from Vancouver and south to Vancouver will repeat ports, entertainment, and food.  At least there is an option for a true 14 day itinerary in shoulder season….which HAL should repeat all season for those who love Alaska.

I can imagine the Caribbean would be worse.  At least in Alaska the weather and scenery is constantly changing.  The Caribbean is the Caribbean.  A 21 day itinerary should have no repeating ports ….and some kind of destination related programming in food and activities.

1 minute ago, oaktreerb said:

Your experience defines why I wrote to HAL and told them their Alaska itineraries were boring.  Sail north from Vancouver and south to Vancouver will repeat ports, entertainment, and food.  At least there is an option for a true 14 day itinerary in shoulder season….which HAL should repeat all season for those who love Alaska.

They did the 14 day trips all Alaska season for many years...but 4 less ships in the fleet, so something had to give. There is at least one, if not two less HAL ships in Alaska. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, janmcn said:

OK, Voyage of the Vikings.  I was just wondering about this.  There's a 17 day Vikings cruise and an 18 day Vikings cruise  and a 35 day Viking cruise (that's really the 17 & 18 day ones B2B).

So, will the second leg repeat the first leg (menus, shows, etc) or will the 35 day be different all the way?  

11 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

OK, Voyage of the Vikings.  I was just wondering about this.  There's a 17 day Vikings cruise and an 18 day Vikings cruise  and a 35 day Viking cruise (that's really the 17 & 18 day ones B2B).

So, will the second leg repeat the first leg (menus, shows, etc) or will the 35 day be different all the way?  

I suspect the second half will repeat the first. Its really not very practical to have 35 different menus.

• Like 1

Done it twice…menu might have some repeats? But with Lido, DiveIn, Canaletto, Pinnacle there are plenty of places to eat…one reason we like the Lido for dinner….many more choices than MDR so if you “eat around” you’ll have plenty of good food choices. Love the V of V and have also done one that’s similar but different name. Not all the same ports. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I suspect the second half will repeat the first. Its really not very practical to have 35 different menus.

We did a 28 day cruise on HAL once that had "different" menus every night.  Now, specific items would repeat on another menu, but not the whole menu.  And we dropped off and picked up entertainers about every 3rd or 4th port.  

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes last year there were some repeats. HAL really ran it as 2 TA  voyages. But it is still a great itinerary and one of its most popular. 

8 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

No, the Voyage of the Vikings, complete, sails different ports in either direction.  At least when I went the entertainment and enrichment was specialized and better than your typical HAL cruise.  The food did repeat but they did have special menus compared to other smaller cruises. 

• Like 1

Princess has always had more entertainment options as they tend to sail bigger ships.  Big ship - more options, that is true industry wide.  I do like Princess but I don’t like that they no longer have mid size ships. 

I am glad to hear Princess now has a better dining experience in their MDR.  Now that they are sailing transatlantic from Texas I may be using them again.

HAL’s best experience is in the long voyage, not B2B which is just a string of boilerplate voyages.  I often say on this forum if you are sailing the short standards you should look around for the most suitable itinerary with the best value (personal as to what value constitutes). HAL’s second niche is the quiet experience and many do relish that over entertainment (my sister is typical - she never steps foot into the theater). 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 4