Progresso has a 4 mile pier??

I'm being told that the pier in Progresso is 4 miles long.  How in the world can that be?  I have never seen nor heard of a pier being 4 miles long.  You would think no one would get off.  A lot of people can't walk 4 miles.  It's like a freaking marathon just to get a shot glass??

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

Thank you

44 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

I'm being told that the pier in Progresso is 4 miles long.  How in the world can that be?  I have never seen nor heard of a pier being 4 miles long.  You would think no one would get off.  A lot of people can't walk 4 miles.  It's like a freaking marathon just to get a shot glass??

The pier is really long, but not 4 miles

55 minutes ago, Caps_Shield said:

OK so it is 4 miles to town, not to the port area.  OK, that makes WAY more sense.

The water off the coast of Progresso is just a few feet deep (local joke is you could walk offshore to Texas).

The pier is five miles long out into the water to protect the shoreline.

Cruise terminal if four miles out.

When you dock in Progresso, there is a port shop area on the pier.  Ship's shore excursion buses will also be there.

There is a free  shuttle bus to take you the four miles to shore where there are beaches.  The shuttle will continue into town (about another mile) .

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, skrufy said:

The pier is really long, but not 4 miles

It actually is 3.86 miles to where the ships dock, judging by Google map's measure distance tool, so darn close to 4 miles. Incredible. I've never been.

57 minutes ago, mz-s said:

It actually is 3.86 miles to where the ships dock, judging by Google map's measure distance tool, so darn close to 4 miles. Incredible. I've never been.

🙄 If you want to be specific about it....

That may be the distance from the pier roadway to the entry point for the pier. The pier entrance is onshore a bit. I measure it out to be a bit over four miles.

The remaining .14 miles (528.20 feet) in your calculation may get you into the parking lot.  It doesn't get you onto the ship which is about the same distance again from the parking lot.

Yeah, I have been and I have walked it.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaay the h*ll out there. There's a modest port retail area adjacent to the ship dock and the free shuttle to the mainland. Don't stress about it; just enjoy.

• Like 1

Just to chime in albeit late, Progreso has the longest pier in the world. It is federal property and no one can walk on it or even drive on it. The Sec of Defense is now charged with supervising access and all traffic on the pier. Shuttle buses and taxis and (some) private tour companies can drive out to where the cruise ships arrive and pick up folks.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/10/progreso-pier-worlds-longest.html

• 7 months later...