Live From Zaandam May 20 - 27, 2023

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Insurance. Take photos - get a statement from HAL - claim on your travel insurance 

Why not shop on Amazon to replace - and use their locker system so you  can pick up the items when you return to Boston? The locker system is great for when you are travelling and need items - I used it last year in SF and found it reliable - there are number of location in  downtown Boston 

My first thought was insurance, and then could she get something shipped to a relative going to the wedding, or to a hotel.  I've seen the Amazon lockers, but it didn't occur to me that it's a way to get something delivered while you're traveling. Absolutely brilliant suggestion!!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

My first thought was insurance, and then could she get something shipped to a relative going to the wedding, or to a hotel.  I've seen the Amazon lockers, but it didn't occur to me that it's a way to get something delivered while you're traveling. Absolutely brilliant suggestion!!!

I'm an expert at getting things delivered but not to my home address! Getting things  shipped to NZ is $$$ so Amazon's lockers are fantastic - last time I literally shopped the day before we arrived in SF, picked up  the items 2 days later - realised I'd left a lens at home and still had time to get it shipped to SF locker  before we shipped out.  You just need the code they send to you via email.  My SIL does it all the time with children in different places and not necessarily with secure parcel delivery 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Do they always do this?  And how do you get invited? (I am finally a 3* 🙂 )

There is usually a Mariner reception on embarkation day.  The number of stars invited depends on the number of 4 and 5 onboard. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

There is usually a Mariner reception on embarkation day.  The number of stars invited depends on the number of 4 and 5 onboard. 

When I hit 3* I didn't get invited and was told it was only for 4 and 5*.  Now that I'm 4* I expect that there will be 800 5* cruisers on board and I won't get invited again. Ok, I'm being silly.  I have been invited a few times, but found it to be inconsistent. I was not invited last summer on the Rotterdam or last fall on the Nieuw Statendam. I was in 2018 on the old Rotterdam and again in 2019 on the old Rotterdam.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dfish said:

When I hit 3* I didn't get invited and was told it was only for 4 and 5*.  Now that I'm 4* I expect that there will be 800 5* cruisers on board and I won't get invited again. Ok, I'm being silly.  I have been invited a few times, but found it to be inconsistent. I was not invited last summer on the Rotterdam or last fall on the Nieuw Statendam. I was in 2018 on the old Rotterdam and again in 2019 on the old Rotterdam.  

I’ve been told that there are only 15 5* Mariners on this cruise.  I’m sure you’ll get invited in July.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

On my last voyage they invited all 3,4 and 5 stars.  It was mayhem.  I was supposed to be inducted but exited as soon as I saw the crowds.  When I got my medal it was a lovely small reception.   

• Like 2

On the Zaandam April 4-18 cruise there was a 3, 4 & 5* cocktail reception in the Crow’s Nest with many officers in attendance. There was also a Medallion presentation in the Explorers Lounge this was also by invitation only. Both events were also held on April 18-29 segment. 

Edited by woodworker&knitter

Sunday was Portland day. The weather was beautiful and we just walked around the town. There were some inexpensive options for tours once off the ship.

While in Port there was no live TV.  

We both had lunch at the taco bar next to the Dive In. I miss this on the larger ships.  Dinner was in lido and the line was long but yhe food was good.

Last night was the Captains toast and the auditorium was about half full.  We watched the One Step Dancers, In Tandem. The dancers are good at their craft but I was unimpressed with the show overall. The one dancer sang "Hero" and that performance was not good.  Others might enjoy the show.

With the recently updated TV system we watched the latest Black Panther movie.  DH would have preferred a larger TV screen. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning,  today is Eastport. My phone thinks we are in Canada and my phone switched to Atlantic time zone. Departing the ship was delayed about 45 minutes. With all aboard at 1:30 that's a lot of port time lost.

Today's program. 

20230522_090423.thumb.jpg.83ea42e585fec7766a85222d150644cd.jpg

20230522_090435.thumb.jpg.e991bd2d01a31afa494796c31092cc7f.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRTraveller said:

How is the weather?  I am on the same ship from Montreal on 6/3.  For packing purposes, just wondering how cool/cold it is on the itinerary this time of year.  Thank you.

This is my goto site  answers everything - how's the weather, when does it get dark and what timezone Weather for Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada (timeanddate.com)

1 hour ago, TRTraveller said:

How is the weather?  I am on the same ship from Montreal on 6/3.  For packing purposes, just wondering how cool/cold it is on the itinerary this time of year.  Thank you.

It's been cooler than expected.  The highs have been in the 50's. Tomorrow may only be in the 40's.  I'd recommend a coat and maybe more long pants than shorts. Of course by then it could all change.

• Like 1