Live From Zaandam May 20 - 27, 2023

Have a great cruise!  We, too, have enjoyed cruising on Zaandam.   I'll be interested in the configuration of your OV.  On Volendam, I think it was, we had them make the one bed into two, which made the window more accessible, (and the room seemed larger) and also, if I lay on my bed, and had a closet door open (the one with the mirror), I could see the reflection out the window!  I'm not sure if Zaandam will be the same.

• Like 3

Good Afternoon, the Coast Guard didn't show for the inspection this morning.  We were through security rather quickly and in our rooms by 11:40. We had lunch in the lido since the dining room was opening at 1.

The cows are getting wet this afternoon 

20230520_123745.thumb.jpg.42a685ccc55cfb2cb56ef39bdd6cb7e8.jpg

The OV cabin on deck 3.

20230520_115329.thumb.jpg.189f829d76cd397a66f3817026ab82be.jpg

20230520_115423.thumb.jpg.5d76a75817eed42e8a3904860c1ffc33.jpg

20230520_115437.thumb.jpg.30d1af0ea2aa5e72755701b8421b75ea.jpg

20230520_115500.thumb.jpg.33c7f9539c80d5011fa4b446ba9075be.jpg

20230520_115519.thumb.jpg.9703be18d51f015ba08575572198930a.jpg

20230520_115528.thumb.jpg.8438ff9abbb821a64da3c8bf6ebfef06.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for doing this Jake.  We must be on the same page about testing an OV as an option for retirement cruises.  We both retire this summer and are considering the same thing. I look forward to your thoughts.  I’m going in to my office in a little bit to start taking pictures down and removing personal items.  I’ll be looking down on your ship when I’m there, hopefully there will be some visibility so that I can actually see you.  Have a great time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for doing this!  I'm looking forward to your future postings/pics.  I'm sailing on the Zandaam in an OV cabin in July.  Nice to see that at least some of the OV bathrooms have been renovated.

Sue

• Like 1

I’ll be boarding next week, so this is so exciting to read a live!

Could you let me know when the early MDR dinner time is? It appears from the activity list that it’ll be 5:30, but I’ve read different times lately from 5:00 to 5:45. Hoping it’s on the later side, as this is the first time we’ll be doing early dining instead of late. Thanks!

• Like 1

My two cents on the OV...they're fine.  We usually sail in a balcony but on our last cruise on the NS, we had an OV on the deck 4.  Well, it was great and had plenty of room.  What I really liked was that it had a couch and the ocean was right out the window when looked outside.  There is a big price difference, but I saw no difference in the quality of my enjoyment of the cruise.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woodworker&knitter said:

Nice to see that it’s shower only. What cabin is it?

Just off Volendam.  ALL OVs on that ship have been converted to the big new showers.  Presumably they have done so on her sister Zaandam?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope everyone boarded easily. I was wondering if anyone received items that weren't yours. Somehow my brand new suitcase was ripped and zipper broken on outer large pocket, between porters and cabin. I am missing 3 packages of stockings, black dressy purse and black sparkly top. The balance of the items in the pocket were wet and muddy and shoved inside but it wasnt zipped as the zipper was broken. I did report this, but what can I expect them to do? These items are not for the cruise, but for a wedding in Boston over memorial day weekend.  Any experience on what I can expect since this certainly wasn't my fault and definitely Hals. Guest services took the suitcase and muddy clothing to repair and clean, I guess? I was calm, filled out a form, but I truly do need these items for next Saturday night. Not happy to start vacation like this, but what can I do? The damage is done. Thoughts? 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Today's daily program.

20230520_121117.thumb.jpg.ffc057f063662098482cbf1da202f5c3.jpg

20230520_121139.thumb.jpg.d09c9db8455563c2e3162b1bbe4a9f4b.jpg

If you remember can you check what time the fixed seatings are in the MDR ? We're hoping to get late fixed but I've not seen the time confirmed anywhere for this ship . 

2 hours ago, consmarci said:

Hope everyone boarded easily. I was wondering if anyone received items that weren't yours. Somehow my brand new suitcase was ripped and zipper broken on outer large pocket, between porters and cabin. I am missing 3 packages of stockings, black dressy purse and black sparkly top. The balance of the items in the pocket were wet and muddy and shoved inside but it wasnt zipped as the zipper was broken. I did report this, but what can I expect them to do? These items are not for the cruise, but for a wedding in Boston over memorial day weekend.  Any experience on what I can expect since this certainly wasn't my fault and definitely Hals. Guest services took the suitcase and muddy clothing to repair and clean, I guess? I was calm, filled out a form, but I truly do need these items for next Saturday night. Not happy to start vacation like this, but what can I do? The damage is done. Thoughts? 

Insurance. Take photos - get a statement from HAL - claim on your travel insurance 

Why not shop on Amazon to replace - and use their locker system so you  can pick up the items when you return to Boston? The locker system is great for when you are travelling and need items - I used it last year in SF and found it reliable - there are number of location in  downtown Boston 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, lissie said:

If you remember can you check what time the fixed seatings are in the MDR ? We're hoping to get late fixed but I've not seen the time confirmed anywhere for this ship . 

Early fixed is 5:30pm. I’ve never had late seating but I would think it would be 7:30pm. 

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, lissie said:

Insurance. Take photos - get a statement from HAL - claim on your travel insurance 

Why not shop on Amazon to replace - and use their locker system so you  can pick up the items when you return to Boston? The locker system is great for when you are travelling and need items - I used it last year in SF and found it reliable - there are number of location in  downtown Boston 

You are brilliant! It never occurred to me to use our insurance or an Amazon locker! Thank you!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, consmarci said:

You are brilliant! It never occurred to me to use our insurance or an Amazon locker! Thank you!

Get all the documentation sorted and worry about the claim once you get home. Have a wonderful cruise.