Live From Zaandam May 20 - 27, 2023

A couple of questions on the MDR.  How many people actually go formal?  Also, on the 7-day from Montreal to Boston, how many formal nights?  Also, I hear there is a 150 year anniversary dinner?  Do any of those nights have a special menu that shouldn't be missed?

14 minutes ago, TRTraveller said:

Also, on the 7-day from Montreal to Boston, how many formal nights? 

They are 'dressy' nights, and on a 7-day cruise there will be two of them. 

25 minutes ago, TRTraveller said:

A couple of questions on the MDR.  How many people actually go formal?  Also, on the 7-day from Montreal to Boston, how many formal nights?  Also, I hear there is a 150 year anniversary dinner?  Do any of those nights have a special menu that shouldn't be missed?

The formal/dressy/gala nights on the Montreal to Boston sailing is on day 2 leaving Quebec City and day 6 leaving Halifax.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lissie said:

This is my goto site  answers everything - how's the weather, when does it get dark and what timezone Weather for Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada (timeanddate.com)

Sydney will generally be the coolest of the ports that we visit. As others have stated, layers are good as we (Eastern and Atlantic Canada) are just getting into our early summer season the first week of June so weather can vary quite a bit.

Another good reference is to look at Environment Canada 7 day forecast for Montreal and Sydney for potential swings in the Canadian ports during the cruise - 

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/qc-147_metric_e.html

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ns-31_metric_e.html

Looking at those forecasts in the leasing days before the cruise (we are on your sailing as well) should help with packing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night we used on of our 5* dinners in the Pinnacle Grill.  The Clothesline Bacon and key lime pie were excellent.  My filet was good but wasn't cooked as requested. Fortunately I have a wide tolerance on how my steak can be cooked. Later we went to the comedian and we both thought he was good. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hi & thanks for the Live report. We are on the June 3 out of Montreal. I see all seven nights on our cruise showing as “Smart Casual” on the itinerary for us. 

Question, are you on a longer cruise? And does your itinerary show formal nights? I assume that’s the reference to Dressy you show from the daily planner Monday.

Thanks in advance. None of the guys in our party of eight want to take jackets if there is no dressy night! 

2 minutes ago, WhereOWhere said:

Hi & thanks for the Live report. We are on the June 3 out of Montreal. I see all seven nights on our cruise showing as “Smart Casual” on the itinerary for us. 

Question, are you on a longer cruise? And does your itinerary show formal nights? I assume that’s the reference to Dressy you show from the daily planner Monday.

Thanks in advance. None of the guys in our party of eight want to take jackets if there is no dressy night! 

The gala nights for the 7 day Montreal to Boston Zaandam sail are on the second evening's sailing from Quebec City and on the sixth evening's sailing from Halifax. The app will only update when the final schedule appears just a couple days before the cruise itself.

3 minutes ago, WhereOWhere said:

We will have two dressy nights.  Dressy is the old formal.  A shirt with a collar and slacks are fine. I use a polo shirt.

• Like 1

Yesterday morning we sent out a bag of laundry and it was returned by 8:30 that night. 

We skipped the evening show as we've seen it once before and that was more than enough.  We watched the latest Matrix movie for our entertainment. 

IMHO the Ocean Bar is the place to go for your adult beverages. The Crows Nest gave a smaller pour and told me that the rum I wanted was removed from the ship, I can get it at Ocean Bar.

Last night the lines in the lido were very long for dinner. One shop worker said she waited in line for over 30 minutes.  We hit salad bar and pasta station, no wait for food.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Yesterday morning we sent out a bag of laundry and it was returned by 8:30 that night. 

We skipped the evening show as we've seen it once before and that was more than enough.  We watched the latest Matrix movie for our entertainment. 

IMHO the Ocean Bar is the place to go for your adult beverages. The Crows Nest gave a smaller pour and told me that the rum I wanted was removed from the ship, I can get it at Ocean Bar.

Last night the lines in the lido were very long for dinner. One shop worker said she waited in line for over 30 minutes.  We hit salad bar and pasta station, no wait for food.

Boy, Jake, I hope you let the ship folk know they need to work on a consistent story. Unless the Ocean Bar fed the Crows Nest folk that line. Regardless, glad you found it. 

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Boy, Jake, I hope you let the ship folk know they need to work on a consistent story. Unless the Ocean Bar fed the Crows Nest folk that line. Regardless, glad you found it. 

I tried to explain to the Crows Nest that I knew it was on board, since I had it a few hours earlier, but he didn’t seem to believe me.  Pre Covid they would have confirmed and get a bottle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Ocean Bar is my favorite place on that ship. Emerson is such a nice young man and learned to make my Harvey Wallbangers just right ☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

IMHO the Ocean Bar is the place to go for your adult beverages.

Yes the Ocean Bar is the most efficient one on the ship as the coolers are directly behind the bar. They have more servers that are active and crowd friendly also. The weekly bar hop is started there for a reason as they create the best party atmosphere on the ship.

Edited by Destiny0315
  • Like 1

Thanks again Jake. Any chance you’ve seen a wine list at a bar other than the James Suckling list? We enjoy red wines by the glass (with our package) and it’s difficult to know what ls actually on the ship, at the various bars. 

i have noted that Canaletto has some wines not on the JS list…..

Pre-covid, some of the ships I sailed on had 2 Room Stewards working in tandem on a group of cabins.  I'm thinking ahead re cash for extra tipping.  Are you seeing more than one steward looking after your cabin?

Sue

5 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We picked up a piece of art that it locally made.  When in Sydney check him out.

20230524_111748.thumb.jpg.f13cc23c047fc97eacf0b3ff8c12f54c.jpg

Was that the big shopping building near the port? That place always has cool stuff from local artisans. I bought way too much the last time ☺️ .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, happycr said:

Pre-covid, some of the ships I sailed on had 2 Room Stewards working in tandem on a group of cabins.  I'm thinking ahead re cash for extra tipping.  Are you seeing more than one steward looking after your cabin?

Sue

They are working in pairs to keep the rooms clean.  That said, only one of them keeps checking in on us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1