Live From Zaandam May 20 - 27, 2023

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Crazy For Cats! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Crazy For Cats was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We booked this cruise while on the NA last November during the Black Friday sale and got a great deal on an Ocean View cabin.  It helps that we live close to Boston and don't need air or hotels.  We were on board the Zaandam last summer for two weeks and look forward to returning for a week this month.  We are trying an OV to see how it works out for retirement cruises.  I also listened to another CC member and bought a device that will turn the one outlet into two outlets with a few USB ports.

My only disappointment at this point was that Saint John was replaced with Eastport, Maine.  We haven't been to Eastport so will make the best of our time while we are there.

Our bags are packed, pet sitter and ride service reconfirmed so we are all set to board tomorrow.  Our check in time is 12:40 but will be getting there closer to 11 since the travel plans were scheduled a few months ago. 

If anyone else on board this cruise wants to share their experiences please feel free to join the discussion.

20220625_110352.thumb.jpg.1e4cd892f86da855bec78c3306e33f17.jpg

20220626_083259.thumb.jpg.fcaf2b19fdb9047e5541d3ab5392dc2d.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Zaandam is my favourite. I’ll be following along for sure. I’m also interested in your comment of trying an OV for retirement cruises. We are also newly retired and realizing we could be sailing much more if we forego a balcony for some cruises particularly on Zaandam where they are at a premium. 
Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Zaandam is my favourite. I’ll be following along for sure. I’m also interested in your comment of trying an OV for retirement cruises. We are also newly retired and realizing we could be sailing much more if we forego a balcony for some cruises particularly on Zaandam where they are at a premium. 
Enjoy your cruise!

We just sailed an OV on the Volendam for 35 days.  It was just an end table shorter than the balcony “suite”.  It was quite comfortable.  The insides are not bad either if you avoid the promenade- where the cabins are shorter - you only get a love seat instead of a full sofa. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The insides are not bad either if you avoid the promenade- where the cabins are shorter - you only get a love seat instead of a full sofa. 

Actually, on the Volendam and Zaandam, the insides on Lower Promenade (which is the deck the promenade is on) are larger than the outside cabins on the same deck. 
They are 10 sq. ft. smaller than the outsides on the lower decks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Bon Voyage!  We tried an OV on the Zaandam also.  I was worried I would miss a balcony but easily adjusted to a new flow of things.  It helped that the Zaandam had an awesome library and proper coffee bar, as well as that lovely prom.  Have a wonderful time!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

We have one of the insides on the Zaandam promenade booked for 32 days this summer.   We had one on the old Rotterdam and loved it!  Easy access to the outside deck.  Plenty of room.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We are boarding when you get off.

2 questions

How flexible is Boston on boarding times

I assume you took the premium internet package. Can you please send a speed test one you are onboard 

Looking forward to your posts 

Enjoy 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CGinMTL said:

We are boarding when you get off.

2 questions

How flexible is Boston on boarding times

I assume you took the premium internet package. Can you please send a speed test one you are onboard 

Looking forward to your posts 

Enjoy 

Our check in time is 12:40. We are already through security and waiting to board

I have no idea on how to check internet speed. 

• Like 6