Comparing Silversea to Regent

Pack Leader

Apologies if this has been done to death. Currently on Regent Voyager (thoughts posted elsewhere) and passengers here are telling me, in the main, that Silversea are better, "more for the passenger"  Voyager seems great and although nothing is perfect the Regent product is very good. I understand that Silversea now include shore excursions so they are even more comparable to Regent price wise. I thought Silversea were more formal? Quite enjoy, given that this is a fly cruise,  the lack of formal wear to pack for my wife and I.

For those who have sailed both lines in recent,  post pandemic times, how would you compare the experiences?

Thanks 

From recent experiences on both.

1.  Regent completely "elegant casual" as in no need for even jackets for men if you don't feel like it.  Silversea still has one or two "formal" nights, which means jackets for men in Atlantide and La Dame, but can eat in La Terazza (very good Italian) and other places without.  No real enforcement after dinner.

2.  In general better entertainment on Regent--Silversea went through a really bad drought, but getting better.

3.  Service recently very good on both.  Both happy to cater to special requests for food, etc.  For example, made a great lobster rissotto and Opera cake for us one night on Silversea.

4.  Subjectively food choice somewhat better on Regent.  A bit annoying that you have to pay for La Dame and Kaiseki (on larger SS ships).  However, Italian restaurant considerably better on Silversea.  Asian restaurant on larger Regent very good--subjectively much better than Indochine on larger SS ships.   Subjectively Chartreuse and La Dame very good French restaurants, but no upcharge for Chartreuse on Regent.

5.  Recent experience is that Regent still quite a bit more expensive on comparable itineraries than SS, but there is so much "special sale" promotions going on that it is hard to judge.

6.  Availability of true two-room Silver Suites on larger SS ships a significant plus compared to Regent.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, lelak said:

From recent experiences on both.

1.  Regent completely "elegant casual" as in no need for even jackets for men if you don't feel like it.  Silversea still has one or two "formal" nights, which means jackets for men in Atlantide and La Dame, but can eat in La Terazza (very good Italian) and other places without.  No real enforcement after dinner.

2.  In general better entertainment on Regent--Silversea went through a really bad drought, but getting better.

3.  Service recently very good on both.  Both happy to cater to special requests for food, etc.  For example, made a great lobster rissotto and Opera cake for us one night on Silversea.

4.  Subjectively food choice somewhat better on Regent.  A bit annoying that you have to pay for La Dame and Kaiseki (on larger SS ships).  However, Italian restaurant considerably better on Silversea.  Asian restaurant on larger Regent very good--subjectively much better than Indochine on larger SS ships.   Subjectively Chartreuse and La Dame very good French restaurants, but no upcharge for Chartreuse on Regent.

5.  Recent experience is that Regent still quite a bit more expensive on comparable itineraries than SS, but there is so much "special sale" promotions going on that it is hard to judge.

6.  Availability of true two-room Silver Suites on larger SS ships a significant plus compared to Regent.

Based on our experiences, this review is spot on. Good job.

• Like 1

I've been on regent twice most recent was jan feb '23 (explorer.).  I'm going on my first SS on the dawn leaving May 31st.  I will share my perspectives when done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lelak said:

Silversea still has one or two "formal" nights, which means jackets for men in Atlantide and La Dame, but can eat in La Terazza (very good Italian) and other places without.

Unless something has radically changed in the past few weeks from other reports here, your report of no jacket required on formal night in La Terrazza just isn’t true.  Are there exceptions to that rule? Yes. They are outlined on SS’s website and are voyage specific.

20 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Unless something has radically changed in the past few weeks from other reports here, your report of no jacket required on formal night in La Terrazza just isn’t true.  Are there exceptions to that rule? Yes. They are outlined on SS’s website and are voyage specific.

I thought that formal nights were formal everywhere and all evening; same with the informal requirements.  [That's what makes me feel that Silversea is over the top on dress codes.  Dinner in the main dining room is one thing; all evening long in every venue is too much!]

• Like 3

It is a little bit disappointing that every discussion about comparing Silversea to other lines tends to be reduced on the dress code. My personal male experience is despite different rules there is no real big difference in dressing up between Regent and Silversea except for the tie on formal nights. At least my packing list is about the same for both lines. 

Apart from the lelak’s list I would say the most obvious difference is that Regent tends to be more traditional American style whereas Silversea has a more international approach. Dining venues, wines and spirits, entertainment and decors are much more European style on Silversea.

And there is usually a higher percentage of European guests from different countries. On Regent we were often one of the very few couples not being native English speakers. 

Nevertheless we love both products and will probably keep on sailing both lines depending on itenary and price. 

• Like 4

Although it is as few years since I cruised on either Regent or Silversea, to me the only marked difference was the 'style' on board, mainly dictated by the passenger list, which as Balian says is very much American on Regent, and more European/international on Silversea.  Which could give some potential passengers an idea of which they might prefer.  General standards overall were pretty similar.

• Like 1

We all have different tastes so replies to a topic like this are really of little use. If we believed some of the things said about Silversea we would not have cruised with them which would have been quite sad as we love Silversea so we feel no pressure to try something different.

The only way for anyone to really know which line is best for them is to try both.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

We all have different tastes so replies to a topic like this are really of little use. If we believed some of the things said about Silversea we would not have cruised with them which would have been quite sad as we love Silversea so we feel no pressure to try something different.

The only way for anyone to really know which line is best for them is to try both.

Would be an expensive mistake if we did not like Silversea. As for the opinions of others I find them useful- that is one positive of a forum. The point regarding American versus European style is valid and was not something at the forefront of my mind, but a point to consider.

Searching the forum may not have brought to light such recent experiences,  particularly post covid, where many lines are at a different rate of return to full service and many have made cutbacks, making recent experiences on both lines even more pertinent.

Thanks to those who replied.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I thought that formal nights were formal everywhere and all evening; same with the informal requirements.  [That's what makes me feel that Silversea is over the top on dress codes.  Dinner in the main dining room is one thing; all evening long in every venue is too much!]

agree!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It’s amazing what people think about Silversea’s dress code versus truly know.  I don’t know what went on over 15-years ago before 2008, the year we started sailing Silversea, but the formal dress code has never been formal in every venue and certainly not all evening long.  In fact, if recents reports posted here on CruiseCritic this year are true, formal has been relegated to just a select few dining venues. It seems for the vast majority, the demarcation line between formal and informal wear is no longer even based on garment, but rather whether a tie is worn around a gentleman’s neck, or not.

• Like 4

Both companies do serve Heidsick Monopole as complimentary bubbels , however upon request on SS the IMHO better Pommery is available. 

Wine list of non complimentary wines is cheaper on SS - nearly retail prices and sometimes lower. 

Lunch buffet is better on Regent  - 

On the new SS ships there is fresh orange juice available in the Arts cafe. 😁

Both companies do practice a rather early "vacant cabin"  and disembarkation procedure.  

Canapes are better on Regent

the Italian restaurant on SS is by reservation only, on Regent first come first serve 

On SS no payment for cooking classes.

• Like 1

Forgot one other Silversea plus--unlimited caviar, you merely have to ask for it.

The official rule is that Italian restaurant is "informal" on formal nights.  You can find

in the rules that means a jacket (no tie required). but in our recent experience

that wasn't enforced at all, except once in S.A.L.T. where the head waiter brought

one over to hang over a chair for another couple 🙂

After dinner at the show a complete mix of dress.

As was said in multiple posts, you may find near perfection on either line, or you may

run into less than adequate service, food, shows, etc. depending on individuals.

One thing I believe most here will agree with, everything better onboard than dealing with HQ of either line!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, lelak said:

One thing I believe most here will agree with, everything better onboard than dealing with HQ of either line!

Very true.  In fact, if it weren’t for the shipboard experience, I know we would have never stepped foot on board again.

What changes have people noticed since Silversea became part of Royal Caribbean Group?  Did their website get merged with the corporate one?  [Trying to separate from RCG's website is killing Azamara the last few months, so whatever Silversea had before is probably better than what they would get from RCG.]  Any other changes mandated by corporate that affect shoreside or onboard experiences?

5 hours ago, Pack Leader said:

Would be an expensive mistake if we did not like Silversea. As for the opinions of others I find them useful- that is one positive of a forum. The point regarding American versus European style is valid and was not something at the forefront of my mind, but a point to consider.

Searching the forum may not have brought to light such recent experiences,  particularly post covid, where many lines are at a different rate of return to full service and many have made cutbacks, making recent experiences on both lines even more pertinent.

Thanks to those who replied.

The part I highlighted suggests to me you are not certain about Silversea so you possibly should just stick to Regent.

There are numerous threads post covid reporting on Silversea cruises. I myself did 1 in August 2022 of 18 days on the Dawn in the Mediterranean when covid rules were about to finish. I have just done one on 54 days on the Moon in the Mediterranean. Both include menus plus pictures of the complimentary wines on Silversea plus a few pages of the Conoisseurs wine list.

There have been many others with a few that are on current cruises.

And for what it is worth I have made the comment that our just completed 54 days cruise on the Moon is probably the best Silversea cruise we have done Around about 18 all up and have another 3 booked.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What changes have people noticed since Silversea became part of Royal Caribbean Group?  Did their website get merged with the corporate one?  [Trying to separate from RCG's website is killing Azamara the last few months, so whatever Silversea had before is probably better than what they would get from RCG.]

Having spent many years dealing with the various RCG IT systems, I see nothing familiar about either the front end or back end processing at SS.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:05 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

You should really try Silversea.  Formal nights are only formal in several restaurants.  The rest are informal to casual.  On Informal nights, the dress code is quite “slippery” in most of the restaurants.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 7:43 PM, Stumblefoot said:

I asked about dress code in La Terrazza for formal nights and the Maitre'd said they are one below on the dress code so if its formal then La Terrazza is informal and if its Informal then La Terrazza is casual.  This was on the Moon last summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, donutman said:

I asked about dress code in La Terrazza for formal nights and the Maitre'd said they are one below on the dress code so if its formal then La Terrazza is informal and if its Informal then La Terrazza is casual.  This was on the Moon last summer.

Thx for the confirmation.

9 hours ago, donutman said:

This is correct now. Most ships in the fleet are now conforming too. 

39 minutes ago, carefreecruise said:

This is correct now. Most ships in the fleet are now conforming too. 

Well it is written on the SS website as such so all ships definitely should be following it.

"Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin on board Silver Spirit, Kaiseki on board Muse, Moon and Dawn. Dining at The Grill and Spaccanapoli is optional casual all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire."

https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/general-information.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1