Housekeeping a sofa bed

Hi,

With regards to my understanding of the change in housekeeping for non suites, housekeeping will be performed once per day. If we have a sofa bed and choose early housekeeping, will they make up the bed and leave it as a bed all day? 

thanks

16 minutes ago, TheWave007 said:

If we have a sofa bed and choose early housekeeping, will they make up the bed and leave it as a bed all day? 

Welcome to CC and coming out of lurk mode.

That may depend on the cabin steward and even that particular sailing (depending on how much other work that steward has) but if you ask nicely, they may put it up every day.

Just now, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC and coming out of lurk mode.

That may depend on the cabin steward and even that particular sailing (depending on how much other work that steward has) but if you ask nicely, they may put it up every day.

Thank you for the welcome and for the feedback!

36 minutes ago, TheWave007 said:

Hi,

With regards to my understanding of the change in housekeeping for non suites, housekeeping will be performed once per day. If we have a sofa bed and choose early housekeeping, will they make up the bed and leave it as a bed all day? 

thanks

Oasis I was never given a choice. Evidently I was at the end of his morning route noon to 1 pm. About when I wanted to come back to the cabin. Not morning or evening.  Mine never introduced himself either like the olden days. Hard to find him in fact the time I did have a question. Hopefully you are correct and there is a choice another ship. 

On Allure now. We asked for a mattress topper for the sofa bed and got it.  I told him he could just leave the sofa made into a bed.  We usually come back to the room and lounge around for a little while during the afternoon heat so it's fine leaving it out. We were given a choice of morning or evening and chose 5:00 to 8:00 when we knew we'd be at dinner or out and about. 

I wouldn't think RCCL would refuse to unfold (or whatever you want to call it) a sofa bed if a passenger requests it nightly.  If they refused, it would be leaving themselves open to a lawsuit if someone got hurt (strained back or whatever).  And for those that say that RCCL, et al, have protected themselves in their "cruise contract", they haven't.   My wife's lawyer, in Ft. Lauderdale specializes in suing the cruise lines for injuries (that's not why she has him, though).  The advertise all around Port Everglades on the bus benches (Barnett & Learner, they've expanded so there are probably more names now).  We have only used the sofa bed on one cruise and it was a suite so we had no issue and we did tell the steward to leave it out.  

On Explorer of the Seas last week,  we requested morning  cabin service
The cabin was serviced after 13.30 and not fully serviced, just a quick  wipe  over
The only time we located  our stateroom  attendant, we asked how the new system  was working
He informed  us before  the changes  there was  74 stateroom  attendants, now 54 on Explorer.
He serviced  16 cabins twice a day  before, now 20 cabins once a day, thus doing less work under the new system.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sowhat said:

He serviced  16 cabins twice a day  before, now 20 cabins once a day, thus doing less work under the new system.

That makes me wonder why the stewards SEEM to be getting more and more aloof, less caring, and providing less service even with just once-a-day service.  Could it be they are now being used elsewhere part-time?  OR, maybe people aren't tipping as much as they used to with twice-a-day service and they (the stewards) are losing interest in their "customers/passengers/recipients of service".  Why exceed expectations if they aren't receiving what they used to get?  This is all rhetorical, of course, I know you don't know.  

• Like 2

On Allure in May, we had a QR code in our stateroom where we could request certain services at any time, including making up the sofa bed. We had an awesome cabin steward, though, so we just asked her to drop by the first morning to put it away. I saw what she did and was able to quickly toss it back together myself every morning after that. IMO putting it back into "couch" mode is much easier than folding it out and setting up the bedding, so I was happy to do that once the kids were up.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2023 at 4:57 PM, TheWave007 said:

Hi,

thanks

We did wonder of the seas last month and our attendant told us he was going to clean our room in the evening, but put the sofa bed away in the morning. He only did that on the first day and for the rest of the week he just left it out. The problem being, not only is the room small, but the sofa bed blocked the balcony so not once was I able to sit out there to enjoy it. In hindsight I should’ve went to guest services but didn’t want to be a ‘problem’. That was my sixth cruise with royal and by far the worst. They need to address this stateroom business.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stacynray said:

The problem being, not only is the room small, but the sofa bed blocked the balcony so not once was I able to sit out there to enjoy it.

Seriously?  Why didn't you just ask the attendant (or leave a note if you didn't see them) to put it back?  🙄

On 5/23/2023 at 6:19 PM, live2beontheseas said:

On Oasis last month and we chose evening service and was told he would not come in the morning to do it.  In fact he showed me how to close it up.  Never pushed the issue as he kept complaining on how busy he was and how many kids were on board.

That’s poor service as far as I’m concerned. RC may determine their workload but their attitude is down to the individual. I’d have no patience for ‘poor me’ stories. 

On 5/23/2023 at 2:06 PM, Ret MP said:

I wouldn't think RCCL would refuse to unfold (or whatever you want to call it) a sofa bed if a passenger requests it nightly.  If they refused, it would be leaving themselves open to a lawsuit if someone got hurt (strained back or whatever).  And for those that say that RCCL, et al, have protected themselves in their "cruise contract", they haven't.   My wife's lawyer, in Ft. Lauderdale specializes in suing the cruise lines for injuries (that's not why she has him, though).  The advertise all around Port Everglades on the bus benches (Barnett & Learner, they've expanded so there are probably more names now).  We have only used the sofa bed on one cruise and it was a suite so we had no issue and we did tell the steward to leave it out.  

I thought the exact same thing, luckily we don’t need the pull out (only 2 of us) but I wouldn’t touch it.
I feel so bad for the room attendants now, our last cruise he was so busy with 25 cabins, we only saw him on the day we boarded so he could ask for our requests. Although he did replace the towels every night during our service, we did miss coming back to the room with the blinds closed and the lights on. Every night the room was pitch black when we got back.
I always like to get to know them and now that they’re so rushed and exhausted, it’s not always possible,

• Like 1

I haven't experienced the once a day service on Royal yet but NCL had it back in Nov. when I was on POA.  I did not see my cabin steward once through out the cruise.  I had no idea if they were male, female or martian.  Room was made up between 10 am and 1 pm everyday and no service at all in in the evening.  I'm not looking forward to this change.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

The only time we spoke  to  our cabin attendant  on Explorer of the Seas  last week,  he told us there  were 74 cabin attendants, now 54.with once a day service.
He also  informed  us that he used to 16 cabins twice a day, now 20 cabins once a day, thus less work
32 room services against  20 room services now

I don’t agree when there are sofa beds or pulllmans used that the guest should be making those up. I want to use the sofa as a sofa during the day and the pullmans make the room so cluttered and small. So if that happens it will be noted on my survey. 

• Like 2

Recenty on Mariner. Requested morning service however cabin steward arrived around 2:00 or later. We had to track him down to exchange wet towels. Bathroom floor was dirty upon arrival and his response was “I was busy”. No apology. Had to call housekeeping supervisor. Dirty glasses left behind. No extra tip provided as he barely performed the basic service. Next cruise on Celebrity. I hope it goes better.

The cutbacks are very apparent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Recenty on Mariner. Requested morning service however cabin steward arrived around 2:00 or later. We had to track him down to exchange wet towels. Bathroom floor was dirty upon arrival and his response was “I was busy”. No apology. Had to call housekeeping supervisor. Dirty glasses left behind. No extra tip provided as he barely performed the basic service. Next cruise on Celebrity. I hope it goes better.

IMO they didn’t provide the basic service and you were generous to provide the basic tip. 

4 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

It is my opinion that we, the cruisers, the paying public, need to start demanding better, more often service, and food quality with what was once customary.  We shouldn't turn the other cheek anymore.  If there is a service-related issue, DEMAND to speak to a "manager/Ship's Officer" Based upon the many posts that I've read, I believe this is becoming a major issue.  No matter how many daily cabin cleanings there are, there is no excuse for dirty glasses left in a cabin, bath bathrooms/washrooms if you are Canadian LOL, and on and on.  This is not to say, @Tee & Chilli, that you did or didn't do any of the above, in fact, you did say that you called the housekeeping supervisor, good for you!  But, a Housekeeping Supervisor probably keeps complaints right there in Housekeeping circles.  A manager/Ship's Officer will do up a report and probably will give some kind of FCC.  

Let's get things back to the good old day, at least as far as service and food quality is concerned.  It ain't gonna change if we all just take the slap in the face.