Lobster Roll??

D & S

All those places.  Why stop at one?

In Boston you can walk to Yankee Lobster easily, to James Hook a bit less easily, or take transit to Belle Isle, for the best lobster roll south of Maine

• Like 1

Two places with good Lobster Rolls in Bar Harbor are Geddy's and Galyn's. They are next door to each other. I would suggest checking to see about making a reservation, as both restaurants get busy.

In Halifax, I didn't have Lobster rolls but ate at two really good restaurants. One is the Henry House and the other was The Brown Hound Public House.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 12:05 PM, D & S said:

Will be on a cruise out of EWR in Oct 2023, stopping in Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor and Halifax.  Where is the best place to try a lobster roll??

Thanks for any info. 

If you do an excursion to Peggy's Cove on the Halifax stop, then Tom's near the rocks is excellent and fast because most of the ship's excursions only allow 45-55 minutes there. There are places in the downtown on the Boardwalk as well.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:05 AM, D & S said:

Will be on a cruise out of EWR in Oct 2023, stopping in Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor and Halifax.  Where is the best place to try a lobster roll??

Thanks for any info. 

My wife and I took a wonderful NE/Canada cruise in September 2019, which, pre-trip, I'd dubbed "the lobster roll cruise," planning to have lobster rolls for lunch in as many ports as we could, and declaring a winner at the end.  And that winner was the West Street Cafe in Bar Harbor.  Absolutely delicious lobster roll.  And the warm Maine blueberry pie for dessert was the best piece of pie I'd ever had.

In Portland, we had lobster rolls at the highly-recommended Becky's Dinner, but, that day at least, the lobster had no flavor.  Experts later told me that could have been a bad-luck function of the life cycle stage at which the lobster was harvested.

In any event, please do not miss the Holy Donut in Portland. Unbelievable donuts.  

If you want to read up on what we did and ate in our ports that overlapped with yours (Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, and Halifax), my detailed review, with photos, is at the link below.  Have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1

I second Becky's and Holy Donuts in , Portland. Then go to Shipyard Brewery to wash it all down. Try the lobster Mac and Cheese and Yankee Seafood in Boston and then walk over to Harpoon Brewery for their tour and tastings

So looking forward again to our Canada/NE cruise this October...I have a Holy Donuts coffee mug in my kitchen I look at everyday.

We too are lobster roll fans and have actually had a pretty good one (in addition to the above) at Quincey Market too.

You had a good roll "inside" Quincy Market, or at a bar nearby?

I had my worst lobster roll experience at Quincy Market ever.  I failed to notice that the menu read "Lobster Salad Roll".  It was so full of filler, you couldn't find the lobster.  Glad this didn't happen to you.

1 hour ago, CaribbeanBound said:

You had a good roll "inside" Quincy Market, or at a bar nearby?

I had my worst lobster roll experience at Quincy Market ever.  I failed to notice that the menu read "Lobster Salad Roll".  It was so full of filler, you couldn't find the lobster.  Glad this didn't happen to you.

Inside at one of the food stands. I was very surprised but it was pretty good and had a lot of lobster on it.

14 hours ago, Ashland said:

Inside at one of the food stands. I was very surprised but it was pretty good and had a lot of lobster on it.

Boston Chowda makes a decent lobster roll and they are in Quincy Market and many other nicer food courts.  I've never had a bad one there, but I've never had a great one there, either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 8:50 AM, Nitemare said:

Boston Chowda makes a decent lobster roll and they are in Quincy Market and many other nicer food courts.  I've never had a bad one there, but I've never had a great one there, either.

That's where we've eaten and "good" is good enough for us. We'll certainly eat there again this October.

4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I can point you to great, if you want

Thanks, but we'll do good at each of our port stops...we're far from being picky and just glad to do this itinerary again.

On 6/18/2023 at 10:38 PM, Ashland said:

Thanks, but we'll do good at each of our port stops...we're far from being picky and just glad to do this itinerary again.

Edited by Nitemare

On 6/18/2023 at 10:38 PM, Ashland said:

If you change your mind and want a great one, just post here!

On 6/18/2023 at 8:12 PM, Nitemare said:

I can point you to great, if you want

They may not need/want great, but I LOVE and appreciate great so point me in the right direction!  I'm a bit of a foodie.  I've had good, really good and not so good lobster rolls, so great would be greatly appreciated!

Where will you be?  We've had lobster rolls in over 50 locations in New England and I'd rank half of them better than any of the chains.

There are a couple folks who post Lobster Roll Quests or Trails on the Maine board at TripAdvisor.  Worth checking out.