Check in time

joiedevivre

• 1 month later...

I just received our boarding passes 

It states Priority Boarding and it also states boarding time 14:40!

This is our first post Covid cruise 

We had always been able to board just before lunch on past sailings 

This is also our first cruise as a Diamond member 

I am unsure about how I should organize the transportation from our hotel 40 minutes away to the ship (not to mention that I get very cranky when I’m hungry 😉)

We enjoy so much the vibe in the Colonnade on arrival day…looking for familiar faces, having our first glass of champagne etc. I would hate to miss out on that just because I followed instructions if in fact we could have boarded sooner 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Marjorie 😁

38 minutes ago, Les Picantins said:

I just received our boarding passes 

It states Priority Boarding and it also states boarding time 14:40!

This is our first post Covid cruise 

We had always been able to board just before lunch on past sailings 

This is also our first cruise as a Diamond member 

I am unsure about how I should organize the transportation from our hotel 40 minutes away to the ship (not to mention that I get very cranky when I’m hungry 😉)

We enjoy so much the vibe in the Colonnade on arrival day…looking for familiar faces, having our first glass of champagne etc. I would hate to miss out on that just because I followed instructions if in fact we could have boarded sooner 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Marjorie 😁

We are recently home from a Seabourn cruise and embarked in Copenhagen.  Our stated boarding time was 2pm.  Our transportation was arranged for around 11:30 am--and was out of our hands.  We boarded at noon and no one asked or cared what anyone's boarding time was. Everyone who was in the terminal was boarded at more or less the same time. There did not seem to be priority for anyone.  It was quick and easy for everyone.  I would say you should plan your transportation to arrive at an optimal time for you.  

Edited by SLSD

53 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I would say you should plan your transportation to arrive at an optimal time for you.  

Excellent advice!   

we plan to do this again soon.

Nancy

• Like 1

@Les Picantins As others have indicated, it's often possible to board starting around noon or 12:30, irrespective of what assigned time they send you. BUT you should be aware that sometimes it depends on the port terminal operations. On our recent cruise out of Barcelona, Seabourn sent an email that no boarding would be available prior to 1 pm. We arrived around that time, and had to wait a short time for all the people who had queued up earlier to board before us. The issue is that a lot of people have the same goal as you do: to arrive early, board early, and go to lunch in the Colonnade. So there can sometimes be a crush of people checking in at the same time, resulting in a wait to board. Since you mention getting cranky if you're hungry, you should weigh your desire to have that first lunch in Colonnade versus the possibility you may be waiting in a cruise terminal for some time waiting to board, and getting cranky. Perhaps have a larger/later breakfast? Or perhaps have lunch where you're staying and arrive after 2 pm, when it's likely there will be no wait to get onboard. And then head straight to the bar for a cold champagne!

• Like 3

We will be boarding at Vancouver so we will have all the immigration palaver to deal with first ...... plus of course two other ships on the same pier. I have a sneaky suspicion that this will not be a pleasant experience 🙄

8 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

We will be boarding at Vancouver so we will have all the immigration palaver to deal with first ...... plus of course two other ships on the same pier. I have a sneaky suspicion that this will not be a pleasant experience 🙄

Brace yourself!  We embarked at Vancouver last Autumn for Grand Pacific Voyage.  We queued for exactly 5 minutes short of 3 hours, it was horrendous.

Good luck! 😊

The subject has cropped up a couple of times on other boards, and the going rate seems to be a minimum of 2 hours.

All the "delay complaints" are directed towards the American Immigration being disorganised... for whatever reason😏

21 hours ago, SLSD said:

I would say you should plan your transportation to arrive at an optimal time for you.  

So, just to fully understand this: If it's optimal for me to bring 2-3 oversized carry-ons aboard the airplane because I don't like the concept (and risk) of checked baggage, I should do that, instead of considering what would happen and how that would affect my fellow rule obeying travelers if everybody felt entitled to bend/break the rules? Or is it only rules that I fully agree with that should be stricktly adhered to? You see, I am a bit confused after reading a certain other thread on this forum. For now I think I'll stick to my somewhat later than preferred check-in time out of respect to those who drew a better number in the lottery and I generally appreciate if my fellow travelers do so too, both by air, land and sea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sucellos said:

So, just to fully understand this: If it's optimal for me to bring 2-3 oversized carry-ons aboard the airplane because I don't like the concept (and risk) of checked baggage, I should do that, instead of considering what would happen and how that would affect my fellow rule obeying travelers if everybody felt entitled to bend/break the rules? Or is it only rules that I fully agree with that should be stricktly adhered to? You see, I am a bit confused after reading a certain other thread on this forum. For now I think I'll stick to my somewhat later than preferred check-in time out of respect to those who drew a better number in the lottery and I generally appreciate if my fellow travelers do so too, both by air, land and sea. 

Mr. SLSD and I packed in carry ons totally conforming with the specifications of SAS airlines--some of the smallest dimensions in the industry.  We arrived early at the port as our transportation had been pre-arranged by others and could not be changed by us. Perhaps it was the only time transport could be arranged.  I have read that taxis were in short supply on embarkation day in some areas.  We would have waited for our time if asked to do so at the terminal.  EVERYONE in the terminal was boarded and it was not an issue for anyone.  No one was inconvenienced.    Arriving later would not have been an issue for us.  But sometimes it is an issue for others--if the check out time at their hotel is something like 11am and there they are with a lot of luggage and no where to go.  You are welcome to stick with your stated arrival time.  I'm sure your embarkation will be equally easy.  It probably does depend on the port.  I've read that embarking in Vancouver can be a lengthy process.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SLSD said:

-if the check out time at their hotel is something like 11am and there they are with a lot of luggage and no where to go.

I have read this a few times as a reason to go early to the ship but I don't understand it. On my many travels I always ask if they have a locked area they can store our luggage after check out time and only once have I been told no. So we get our luggage stored and go out for a last explore and lunch before returning to pick up our luggage and head to the ship. I have lots of luggage because I like choice and don't pack light.

I do understand in your case because of the transfers you had no other option but to go then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I have read this a few times as a reason to go early to the ship but I don't understand it. On my many travels I always ask if they have a locked area they can store our luggage after check out time and only once have I been told no. So we get our luggage stored and go out for a last explore and lunch before returning to pick up our luggage and head to the ship. I have lots of luggage because I like choice and don't pack light.

I do understand in your case because of the transfers you had no other option but to go then.

We would be happy to explore, but there are some elderly cruisers that this would not work for.   I do understand that times are given to make the boarding process run more smoothly.  

On 7/7/2023 at 1:26 PM, SLSD said:

We would be happy to explore, but there are some elderly cruisers that this would not work for.   I do understand that times are given to make the boarding process run more smoothly.  

and I fully agree with this statement! On Embarkation Day, we don't have either the interest or stamina to go off exploring, or visiting Restaurants, and THEN facing all the embarkation stuff. We will head to the Port as soon as we have to leave our Hotel. IF we then aren't allowed to board, we will just sit in the Terminal and wait till we can board. We either sit in the Hotel Lobby and wait, or head to the Terminal and wait....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 4:17 AM, Sucellos said:

It’s the entitlement mentality that causes so many to flout rules - or just pick and choose ones to follow that they like. (Funny thing is, when I started reading your post, I got excited that perhaps you CAN bring 2-3 oversized carry-ons on board. Oh well.)  

The boarding groups/boarding time has become a bit of a thorn in my shoe issue.  We have the app, download our final documents, get emails about our boading time and group, set our transfers and then Seabourn changes time/group 3 times (5 times for our Mar 22 trip).  Each change is accompanied by a statement that you must show up at the specified time - previously for COVID separation now I am not sure why.

To me this is a foolish waste of time and effort.  Many dont care, there are lots of exceptions and I am unable to control the departure/arrival of a cab or other transfer down to that small time frame given all the varibles.

Just give us a time boarding starts and let folks decide - stand in line or wait for the line to go down.  This is a luxury cruise line not a military transport. 

Don't have rules if people can't or won' follow them and you don't enforce them.  Plus no passenger on Seabourn wants to see they are in group "M" -

• Like 1