Starlink being installed on QM2 TODAY!

Mercruiser

On 5/29/2023 at 9:47 PM, ratflinger said:

Good news, I have Star Link at home and it works well.  Now if they'll just make it make it free for Grills passengers ......

Or indeed for all passengers.....

• Thanks 1

My apologies in advance ............

Unfortunately I am finding it difficult to get a potential single letter change to the name of the SpaceX internet system out of my mind.

So here is a possible photo of a future Starling Internet system being fitted on QM2:

StarlingInternet.thumb.jpg.ad1af393c9b4c3374f524cb2a6bbe3ac.jpg

• Haha 10

Been checking the  internet info in our MyCunard cruise planner and the full cruise plan is for one devise only at a time, but it also says there is a discount for a second internet plan in the same cabin. 

Does anyone know how much of a discount Cunard offers for this second plan? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NE John said:

WiFi quite good on June 23 TA. Not as horrid as I’ve been reading. 

John,

Sorry but read you ok but our trip WiFi was not at all great.

Many going to Internet Office for help and also to the Pursers Office.

Don't know why you and Welshred were good and us trouble with a Capital T...

Hoping better the next time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I don´t know it it has anything to do with starlink but Internet / wifi worked like a charm- the best I ever had ony any ship on the voyage June 9th to June 23th.

Agreed, we were on at the same time and it was the best we've ever experienced (on any cruise ship) also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we were on the QM2 in 2019, it was the first cruise on which we were completely unable to connect to the internet in our cabin. Even venturing out to seek nodes on the ship wasn't much better. However, if Starlink is faster, it ought to make using the internet in public places easier. Getting it in your cabin is a function of how close you are to one of those little nodes. 

18 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

John,

Sorry but read you ok but our trip WiFi was not at all great.

Many going to Internet Office for help and also to the Pursers Office.

Sorry to say that was our experience the week before, and the others at our dinner table had problems as well. We weren't even planning to get internet, but husband's boss was having trouble with a project and needed husband's input. (We figure we'll try to get work to reimburse half the cost.🙂) We made do, and husband was able to do what he needed to get done. I found a good signal in the Commodore Club so every day at 2:00, while husband was rehearsing with the guest choir, I went up there, ordered a gin and tonic, and caught up on the news.

12 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

Sorry to say that was our experience the week before, and the others at our dinner table had problems as well. We weren't even planning to get internet, but husband's boss was having trouble with a project and needed husband's input. (We figure we'll try to get work to reimburse half the cost.🙂) We made do, and husband was able to do what he needed to get done. I found a good signal in the Commodore Club so every day at 2:00, while husband was rehearsing with the guest choir, I went up there, ordered a gin and tonic, and caught up on the news.

nybumpkin,

We were going to not get a package at all on this sailing last week since we could connect to the land base connections 3 times at our visiting ports. But since we are Diamond and we applied our 135 internet points, why not do so.

Last year my DW did also work on board while we were in Princess Grill and had no problems in the Cabin on 10. Best was in the Concierge Lounge on 9 available to us. There was a router we could sit right under. WOW was it strong. But this past sailing we were in Britannia Club - 12 and poor signal.

Unless I wanted to go to the Pavilion Pool or suggested to me, any Public Room to attain a strong signal.

We do hope this longtime problem could be solved before our next sailing on the QM2.

Hope you enjoyed your G&T....my favorite in the summer refreshment......lol...

We just disembarked QM2 after having purchased the premium plan for our eastbound crossing. We used it to check email, watch some videos and use various social sites. Didn't have any connection or speed issues until the day before we arrived in Southampton when it was very spotty for a few hours.  We did a speedtest every day after leaving New York and these are the results (two readings on the problem day):

image.png.d7683bf0097f688cb61204fc0cb7211a.png

Didn't spot any reference to Starlink - the provider displayed as Equinix EMEA Acquisition Enterprise B.V each time.

Edited by dides
  • Like 3

The download speeds look like one would expect from Starlink, but the upload speeds are very low and should be nearer 20 to 30Mpbs, thiugh they could affected adversely if a lot of people were active on the same connection during your tests..  Also ping times are not great and would expect more in the region of 20 to 40ms rather than ten times that latency.  So it is not clear the connection is actually going via Starlink in your tests.

• Like 1