Almost live: First cruise EVER, Nieuw Statendam Baltic Jewels June 8-18

washiotter

OTC: Bonine for sea-sickness, though you can also get this onboard. You have to take it before you need it - which makes it hard if you don't know if you will be affected.  (Read contraindications and check with your doctor - or try Seabands and/or ginger)

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 12:33 PM, Nodakboiler said:

Buy a set of heavy duty magnets that you can use on the cabin walls for hats, backpacks, etc.

Make that heavy duty (rare earth) magnets with hooks, for hanging things from either the ceiling or the walls -some walls aren't to magnetic but the ceiling usually is. 

DH also brings the heavy duty button magnets to hang up maps on the wall too, but they were so strong he almost could not get them off.

Same thing for some super-duper hook magnets, that stuck together and we had a heck of time trying to wedge them apart. Almost thought we would ask the ship's machine shop to see if they could do it for us. 

Magnet hygiene ...who knew?  😵‍💫

Down to the nitty-gritty of trip preparations! I am checking the port websites to see exactly where we'll dock in each city, and I discovered that the out-of-the-way place we're docking in Helsinki happens to be very close to a beautiful public sauna!

I have just booked myself a two-hour visit to an authentic Finnish sauna. MYSELF. No husband, no kids - they'll be taking the ferry out to the island military fortress.

It's going to be so great!!

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, washiotter said:

Down to the nitty-gritty of trip preparations! I am checking the port websites to see exactly where we'll dock in each city, and I discovered that the out-of-the-way place we're docking in Helsinki happens to be very close to a beautiful public sauna!

I have just booked myself a two-hour visit to an authentic Finnish sauna. MYSELF. No husband, no kids - they'll be taking the ferry out to the island military fortress.

It's going to be so great!!

Yes! Give yourself a treat!!! You deserve it for all of your trip planning efforts.

And another packing suggestion. Buy a blank book and keep a journal. I've done travel journals for years and love to take one out and reminisce. I like spiral ones because I can rip out a page if I need a piece of paper. 

You don't have to write a lot (mine do tend to become sagas 😱), just some memories. Maybe let your husband and kids contribute, too. Glue in postcards (I carry a glue stick for this), or peel off a tour sticker and add that to a page, 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 3

We are officially on our way!! We’ve got a red-eye flight on Icelandair - they emailed this morning to tell us that they’ve chartered some planes to meet extra demand, and the flight we’ll have from Keflavik to Copenhagen won’t have any in-flight entertainment or wifi. They plan to make it up to us with “a refreshment” but I’m guessing we’re all going to sleep through that flight anyway.

Very!! Excited!!

• Like 6

On 6/2/2023 at 12:36 PM, washiotter said:

My final client will be over tomorrow at 4:30, and then I can turn my energy to laundry and packing. I have already completed the immense hurdle of helping Mr. 14 select some button-down dress shirts for our specialty dinners, and having done that I feel like I can do most things!

in general we plan to bring 8 days worth of clothes and send out laundry in the middle. Only one pair of walking shoes and one pair of dress shoes!

You are smart to pack light & use ship's laundry.

If you have time; I'd pack 2-4 collapsible fabric cubes (cheap at the dollar store)

They come in handy for extra storage in the bathroom.

Two can fit on shelf under sink & the additional 2 under sink on the floor.

Husband had his shaving gear, hair gel, comb, toenail clippers etc etc in his.

Mine - Facial Products, hair mouse, etc etc.

Came in handy to just pull out your "cube" & place on toilet seat.

Kept the clutter down.

Some people buy an over-the-door shoe storage bag (hanging on the outside of the Bathroom door) for their toiletries --- but I hate clutter.

• Like 1

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise. We love The Baltic 

itineraries and have been three times. In my opinion you have also

made a brilliant choice in Nieuw Statendam. Out of 30 or so

cruises it is our favourite ship. One of the reasons for saying this

is the variety of music which is provided on Music Row. Do give

it a go. Also, The Dutch Cafe serves up some interesting things.

Try the large round cream filled chocolate covered Choux buns

which are like very large profiteroles. They are very special, but

make sure you are hungry when ordering them.

• Like 2

Pre-cruise day 1: Copenhagen. 

We flew here coach on a red eye, and that’s all I’m going to say about that. Bought 48-hour public transit passes at the airport and took the train to our hotel, a bare-bones budget place with a fantastic location, a short block from the central rail station, surrounded by cafes.

I know you’re not supposed to nap when you’re trying to get over jet lag, but we simply HAD to nap for a couple of hours. 

Took the metro to Nyhavn, which is extremely touristy but that’s okay - we’re tourists. Had dinner at a dockside restaurant with outdoor seating under a canopy - everything was delicious. I had a smoked salmon plate and a Tuborg beer. 

Unsurprisingly, we all perked up after dinner. We let the kids go off on their own and enjoyed a stroll down the canal to a channel. Beautiful antique boats. The weather could not possibly be better, low 70s and sunny. 

IMG_7942.thumb.jpeg.4a5ec4e49b603d0aa9888f84eee7bc49.jpegIMG_7943.thumb.jpeg.887fd178f4c5782d72640c1f17f072be.jpeg

IMG_7939.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Pre-cruise day 2: Copenhagen. 

This morning we had a fabulous encounter with Danish pastries and then went to Rosenborg Castle, favored residence of King Christian IV in the 17th century. We saw the Danish Crown Jewels, a lot of intricately carved ivory and amber, the pen used to sign the first Danish constitution, incredibly elaborate designs made with inlaid semiprecious stones, a throne made of narwhal horns…

…and the king’s special prank chair, which shot out restraints to hold the victim in place and then squirted water on their behinds so they’d look like they’d wet their pants. It was a more elegant time!

IMG_7962.thumb.jpeg.ba386ed36b1ca34b70487f80f584d10b.jpegIMG_7970.thumb.jpeg.9c0f5afd1be1d174bec06ffcc2cafd88.jpegIMG_7957.thumb.jpeg.f48c9f1ea16eeee454f80ba562eace2f.jpeg

After relaxing at the hotel for a while, we went to Tivoli this evening. It’s the oldest amusement park in the world, but it seems like a lot more than that - there are rides, but also beautiful gardens and spaces to relax. Unlike any American amusement park I’ve been to, you didn’t at all get the feeling that every detail was designed to make you keep moving and spending money. 

We walked around and soaked up the ambiance for a few hours. It’s especially magical when they turn the lights on. 

I had smorrebrod for dinner, which I’ve really been wanting to try. (We went to the Tivoli food hall, so no one else had to have smorrebrod.)IMG_8009.thumb.jpeg.89147b3d9887c40e113e7510a8e00f40.jpegIMG_8007.thumb.jpeg.e96412a252be88f82714edf38af77918.jpegIMG_8022.thumb.jpeg.394a00d4956cc3c6cda27cb1906bb626.jpeg

• Like 16

Day 1: Embarcation. 

I began the day brilliantly by dropping my suitcase on my toe, so the top third of the nail is now an interesting shade of purple. Stopped hurting quickly, though. We took a taxi to the port - long drive, heavy traffic - and HOLY COW the Nieuw Statendam is big! My kids: “Mom, I thought you said this was a mid-size ship.” Me: 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Long line to get in to the terminal, but once we were inside everything moved very quickly and we were on board just a little after noon. We explored the ship. First impressions:

1) Everything is spotless and seems organized for comfort. 
2) The crew could not possibly be kinder.

3) Between when Analog187 got off this morning and I got on this afternoon, there was apparently a full-ship overhaul???

IMG_8038.thumb.jpeg.0df00fde951824dcf91c9544f26bb507.jpeg

We spent part of the afternoon in the cozy seating area by the Sea View pool. Staff were very attentive - I went in to get lunch from the buffet, asked a waiter if I was allowed to just pour myself an iced tea, and wound up with him insisting on taking my plate, putting it on a tray with the tea and some silverware, and carrying it out to where we were sitting. The whole time we were sitting there, they kept coming by and offering us drinks. 

Ms. 18 doesn’t do well with crowds and noise, so we watched sailaway from the Crow’s Nest. It was SO EXCITING to see us leave the pier and head out to sea!

IMG_8048.thumb.jpeg.9dc6056d31e3a6746c46b912c3e58622.jpeg

We had reservations for Pinnacle tonight, having picked up good advice here to skip the MDR on embarkation day. Pinnacle was very quiet, less than half full. 

We all had the 8oz filet and it was perfectly cooked and very tender. I really enjoyed my sides, white asparagus and roasted beets with blue cheese. The chocolate soufflé with vanilla cream was outstanding. Mr. 14’s verdict: “This was worth dressing up for.”

IMG_8061.thumb.jpeg.fcb89006b1eaa49adc36b6436bfb4089.jpegIMG_8055.thumb.jpeg.08e34a102bac202d14cc9706f64ce23d.jpeg

After dinner we went to the show: “The Pianist with the Hair,” a flashy virtuoso who did comic patter between classical pieces. It was great, we all enjoyed it. When we came out of the show at 10:20pm it was sunset! My photo doesn’t do justice to how luminously, radiantly pink the water was. 

IMG_8065.thumb.jpeg.cd6e7e425bb88f6a53e5ca3f2dc72d79.jpeg

The family split up - I think my husband is playing blackjack? I went to the BB King set and absolutely loved them. The woman singer is particularly great. Then I had a nightcap at the Ocean Bar (the sun had STILL not finished setting) and came upstairs to update you all before bed. 

Tomorrow is a sea day. 

IMG_8068.thumb.jpeg.977750f81a756f9f7bd29aa545d37292.jpeg

• Like 21

Lest I be accused of being a HAL apologist: I tried to order a Last Word at the Ocean Bar and they didn’t have any chartreuse, so I had to order something else. WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO. 

• Haha 7

I have heard so many great reviews of the sail in/out to Stockholm!  I haven't booked a cruise yet that includes that port but am keeping it in mind.

I love hearing first timer's impressions of their cruise and I will be reading all of your posts as you have time to share!!  Most importantly, have fun!

~Nancy

• Like 3

21 hours ago, washiotter said:

Lest I be accused of being a HAL apologist: I tried to order a Last Word at the Ocean Bar and they didn’t have any chartreuse, so I had to order something else. WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO. 

I had to google that drink and now I want one. 😁

• Like 2