Booking accessible Sky Suite when not needed

zitsky

We were just in an accessible Sky Suite cabin on Beyond after a move up.  My husband liked everything except the automatic door.  It drove him crazy.  We did not ask for accessible.

I’m trying to book an Asia cruise on the Millie.  Another Sky Suite.  My TA said “look I have accessible cabins available on 1/2/25”.  Again we are not disabled.  And we don’t want to take a cabin away from someone who needs it.  

The perfectly good alternative is 1/26/25 with several SS available.  And Aqua class too.  But I like the idea of a New Year’s vacation.

if we booked accessible is it possible we would get kicked out?  And where would we go?

Edited by zitsky

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We were just in an accessible Sky Suite cabin on Beyond after a move up.  My husband liked everything except the automatic door.  It drove him crazy.  We did not ask for accessible.

I’m trying to book an Asia cruise on the Millie.  Another Sky Suite.  My TA said “look I have accessible cabins available on 1/2/25”.  Again we are not disabled.  And we don’t want to take a cabin away from someone who needs it.  

The perfectly good alternative is 1/26/25 with several SS available.  And Aqua class too.  But I like the idea of a New Year’s vacation.

if we booked accessible is it possible we would get kicked out?  And where would we go?

No, you will not get kicked out. Just be careful, on some ships they are right below the pool deck and they start moving pool chairs very early in the morning. If you need an assessable cabin, you book early. Once they are released to the public, it is yours. 

6 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

No, you will not get kicked out. Just be careful, on some ships they are right below the pool deck and they start moving pool chairs very early in the morning. If you need an assessable cabin, you book early. Once they are released to the public, it is yours. 

Thanks for that warning.  

The other thing I heard is the accessible showers on some ships aren’t designed well and make a mess with water running everywhere.  No problems on the Beyond.

I wish there was a button on the automatic door to say “it’s ok to close now”.

30 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Thanks for that warning.  

The other thing I heard is the accessible showers on some ships aren’t designed well and make a mess with water running everywhere.  No problems on the Beyond.

I wish there was a button on the automatic door to say “it’s ok to close now”.

I know what you mean, but really, do you think as you are walking down the hall someone is going run into your room? That is what DH said to me.

FYI on the Millie the accessible cabins do not have power doors.  The power doors are only available on S and E class ships. As a wheelchair user the power doors are very important to me so we no longer sale on the M class.  Which is a shame because I really like the ships.

Also on M class ships water from the shower will go all over the bathroom unless you make a towel dam

Edited by Mosttoyswin

50 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don't understand. I see Sky Suites being wide open for that sailing.

Be careful about booking an accessible cabin - we have been able to bump people out of that cabin by asking Celebrity if the occupants had filed a medical form. They were unable to do so - were moved and we secured the accessible cabin that we needed.

Hal

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I don't understand. I see Sky Suites being wide open for that sailing.

I will look again.  I have looked several times.  I refer to 1/2/25.

Rich I see an image with a cabin and one green square.  Possible indicating an available cabin?

I see you are right.  I must have looked at the wrong date.  Now I see several cabins available.

Edited by zitsky

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Rich I see an image with a cabin and one green square.  Possible indicating an available cabin?

I see you are right.  I must have looked at the wrong date.  Now I see several cabins available.

Anything with a green or red dot is available. No dot = booked.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Anything with a green or red dot is available. No dot = booked.

When I do a fake booking I was sometimes seeing suites on deck 6 (many) or deck 9 (few).  I know how to switch now.

It might be a surprise for my husband to go from an accessible Sky Suite “down” to a regular.  Smaller cabin.

• Like 1

I would not find it acceptable to book an accessible cabin unless the Celebrity booking site shows it as a bookable cabin without selecting the option to show accessible cabins.   At that time they are offering it to the general public for booking, theoretically after final payment and when other inventory in the category is very low.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I would not find it acceptable to book an accessible cabin unless the Celebrity booking site shows it as a bookable cabin without selecting the option to show accessible cabins.   At that time they are offering it to the general public for booking, theoretically after final payment and when other inventory in the category is very low.

I was waiting for someone to say that so I wouldn't have to be the one to start.  I would never, ever book an accessible cabin I didn't need unless it was close to sailing and it was open to general booking.  There are really very few , especially at suite level, and I would hate for someone to have to forego a cruise because I booked one just for the extra space.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I was waiting for someone to say that so I wouldn't have to be the one to start.  I would never, ever book an accessible cabin I didn't need unless it was close to sailing and it was open to general booking.  There are really very few , especially at suite level, and I would hate for someone to have to forego a cruise because I booked one just for the extra space.

I’m trying to understand why I ended up in an accessible cabin on the Beyond, when I didn’t ask for one.

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’m trying to understand why I ended up in an accessible cabin on the Beyond, when I didn’t ask for one.

I believe you said you did a MoveUP.   In that case it was very close to sailing and the cabin had not been sold so yes they generated additional revenue by letting you upgrade to it.   They do the same with Suite GTY where it is not uncommon to be assigned an accessible suite.

6 hours ago, Mosttoyswin said:

FYI on the Millie the accessible cabins do not have power doors.  The power doors are only available on S and E class ships. As a wheelchair user the power doors are very important to me so we no longer sale on the M class.  Which is a shame because I really like the ships.

Also on M class ships water from the shower will go all over the bathroom unless you make a towel dam

That's unfortunate to hear. We're sailing on Summit this Thanksgiving with my MIL in an accessible Sky Suite. We intentionally booked that room for her thinking she would have an automatic door as she only has use of one arm and may be using a power scooter on the trip. If it's a regular door, not sure she'll be able to get in/out of there on her own.

I agree that it's disappointing about the power doors. We booked the summit right after its renovation because our travel agent said they were adding power doors. They did not.  We now using anew travel agent.  For more reasons than just that but it was kind of the final straw.

I hope you have the same high quality room Steward we had. He seemed to have magic powers. I would head down the hallway and he would appear out of nowhere and open the door for me most of the time.

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I completely agree.  I have friends who need an accessible cabin and find it very hard to book one even several months out.  If one is available close to sail date it is different, but if an able bodied person takes an accessible cabin early in the booking period they may well be depriving someone of a chance to cruise.

• Like 1

I am writing to offer my thanks to those of you who question getting an accessible cabin when not needed.  Over the past few years, we have tried to take one cruise a year with our adult son who does need an accessible cabin. We sailed in an accessible sky suite capable of holding 3 in the S class and the E class and appreciated the space and really enjoyed access to the Retreat spaces on E class.  I find myself booking more than a year in advance because there are very few accessible cabins with space to handle 3 passengers on most ships. On the E class ships there is only ONE accessible sky suite capable of three passengers.

We did find ourselves in an accessible suite on Azamara as a part of the Move up program and recognize that it was shortly before sailing and not booked. We were doing a B2B and upgraded on both, changing rooms at turnaround. We really liked our butler and he agreed to cover our new cabin even on a different level.

For those in need of an accessible cabin and wanting space but are having trouble with Retreat availability and pricing.  The 3 of us just got home from sailing on the new Oceania Vista.  I picked it up when I noticed it had several accessible cabins for 2 or 3. Looking at the deck plans it was clear they were the size of their penthouse cabins, but at Veranda pricing. It was 400 sq. ft. with an extra wide veranda. Two tables, if you wanted room service and the drains in the shower worked very well. We had requested extra towels but did not need them.  Noted extra space beside the bed if needed for motorized chair. It did have a power door or entry, but I did think the bath door was hard to handle.

With included access to different specialty restaurants, 4 nights on a 7-night cruise we did not miss Lumina. The main dining room was large, never crowded, and the longest wait was 2 minutes the first night.

• Like 1

I've not seen that case mentioned.  After final payment all bets are off and Celebrity is going to sell the remaining inventory to whomever they can.  If you need an accessible cabin you surely should be booking before final payment.   This is the case of any limited cabin class, it's not guaranteed to be available as a last minute booking.

In the case you quoted it was assigned as a MoveUp upgrade obviously after final payment.

The other case you mentioned was "My TA said “look I have accessible cabins available on 1/2/25”".  You TA has visibility to all available cabins.  It was them not Celebrity who was claiming it was available to you.   I'm very sure if you searched for the category on the Celebrity site without the "accessible" check box checked you wouldn't have been offered an accessible cabin.

26 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I've not seen that case mentioned.  After final payment all bets are off and Celebrity is going to sell the remaining inventory to whomever they can.  If you need an accessible cabin you surely should be booking before final payment.   This is the case of any limited cabin class, it's not guaranteed to be available as a last minute booking.

In the case you quoted it was assigned as a MoveUp upgrade obviously after final payment.

The other case you mentioned was "My TA said “look I have accessible cabins available on 1/2/25”".  You TA has visibility to all available cabins.  It was them not Celebrity who was claiming it was available to you.   I'm very sure if you searched for the category on the Celebrity site without the "accessible" check box checked you wouldn't have been offered an accessible cabin.

Sure.  A TA thinks they can sell an accessible cabin.  Why do you suppose that is?