No tea, coffee, cake etc on grills deck QM2. Only water or you can buy drinks

Windsurfboy

I can't remember what was on offer on the Grill deck on QM2 as we hardly ever used it.

However, on the Vistas, it was always orange juice & water always available. A light afternoon tea with preprepared scones was served after 3:30pm.

Also ice cream from time to time.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

What's experience on other ships to this retrograde step

There was no water/orange juice in lift area last November when we were on QV as in previous years but they did come round with a sort of afternoon tea. They also come round with ice cream but if you don't like the flavour on offer and ask from something else you get a firm no. Surprising as even though we were not in higher QG suites the prices they charge wouldn't expect to hear the word no and vanilla ice cream is not a hard ask.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

There was no water/orange juice in lift area last November when we were on QV as in previous years but they did come round with a sort of afternoon tea. They also come round with ice cream but if you don't like the flavour on offer and ask from something else you get a firm no. Surprising as even though we were not in higher QG suites the prices they charge wouldn't expect to hear the word no and vanilla ice cream is not a hard ask.

No, not a hard ask at all but might entail a crew member going off to get some and there might not be that time factored into the schedule at that time.

Unfortunately, I discovered the ice cream dispenser in the Lido many cruises ago. ☹️

The chocolate is yum! 👍

• Like 2

No it is not a hard ask and if paying thousands as you do in higher QG suites one I would expect. The ice cream dispenser in Lido doesn't have the same effect as ice cream on the grill deck. Hope QV is different than QM2, which I doubt, unless changed recently the ice cream in Kings Court on QM2 recently there was only ever strawberry, vanilla or mixed and no chocolate and the vanilla was horrible taste.

47 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No it is not a hard ask and if paying thousands as you do in higher QG suites one I would expect. The ice cream dispenser in Lido doesn't have the same effect as ice cream on the grill deck. Hope QV is different than QM2, which I doubt, unless changed recently the ice cream in Kings Court on QM2 recently there was only ever strawberry, vanilla or mixed and no chocolate and the vanilla was horrible taste.

Sadly, the Lido chocolate ice cream was there last week and the week before,  crew member dispensed once the neuro advisory went out. I neglected to say 'stop, that's enough' on a few lunch time occasions. Yum.

By the by, cabins may be expensive in the Grills but I must be weird as the word 'expect' doesn't figure for me if something as simple  as the non availability of an asked for ice cream flavour for  outside, isn't available.

I'd either go without or nip down to the Lido if it was that much of a necessity.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Sadly, the Lido chocolate ice cream was there last week and the week before,  crew member dispensed once the neuro advisory went out. I neglected to say 'stop, that's enough' on a few lunch time occasions. Yum.

By the by, cabins may be expensive in the Grills but I must be weird as the word 'expect' doesn't figure for me if something as simple  as the non availability of an asked for ice cream flavour for  outside, isn't available.

I'd either go without or nip down to the Lido if it was that much of a necessity.

I don't "expect" anything but when offered an ice cream on deck with the only choice of strawberry, which I don't like, and asking politely for vanilla or chocolate to be told a firm no and walk off is poor. If I was paying the same amount in a 5 star hotel I would think I would get a better response why should Cunard be any different. They are always pushing at every opportunity White Star service but unfortunately don't deliver on it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I don't "expect" anything but when offered an ice cream on deck with the only choice of strawberry, which I don't like, and asking politely for vanilla or chocolate to be told a firm no and walk off is poor. If I was paying the same amount in a 5 star hotel I would think I would get a better response why should Cunard be any different. They are always pushing at every opportunity White Star service but unfortunately don't deliver on it.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

If you don't like the cakes or sandwiches served at 'tea' would you expect your choice to be 'got' for you? I asked for lemon drizzle which was on offer the day before. I was politely told it wasn't available and yes, the waiter 'walked off' because why should he hang around?

I accepted that.

Obviously, I wasn't there when you were refused your choice of ice cream, or indeed, on the ship but all I can say is, if the service on the rest of the fleet is as good as the wonderful service we received on QV on V314, then future passengers [in QG for us] have no need to worry.

Edited by Victoria2
wrong flavour
  • Like 5

On QV in May to the Baltic, there was afternoon tea served on the grills deck but it reminded me of QE2 c. 1977 in Tourist Class except I had a First Class deck chair and well, that was lot more impressive than what passes today for grill deck service.   Dennis Dawson would be shocked and ashamed indeed. 

We had ice cream offered once. If you wanted a drink and the Grills Lounge bar was closed well, you did what I did... walk all the way to the Winter Garden (once) or the Lido (twice), find a steward and do a "takeaway." I think a steward circulated once in 16 days on the Grill open decks. Yet around the pool and lido, you could get served without batting an eyelash. 

There is no water/juice set-up anymore btw in the Deck 12 foyer either.  

To sum up... the grills deck "experience" is.... diminished. Possibly they were coasting on a voyage where it was often too cold for most to be on deck. But when I am on deck... I expect what I am paying for.  And... not getting. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

On QV in May to the Baltic, there was afternoon tea served on the grills deck but it reminded me of QE2 c. 1977 in Tourist Class except I had a First Class deck chair and well, that was lot more impressive than what passes today for grill deck service.   Dennis Dawson would be shocked and ashamed indeed. 

We had ice cream offered once. If you wanted a drink and the Grills Lounge bar was closed well, you did what I did... walk all the way to the Winter Garden (once) or the Lido (twice), find a steward and do a "takeaway." I think a steward circulated once in 16 days on the Grill open decks. Yet around the pool and lido, you could get served without batting an eyelash. 

To sum up... the grills deck "experience" is.... diminished. Possibly they were coasting on a voyage where it was often too cold for most to be on deck. But when I am on deck... I expect what I am paying for.  And... not getting. 

and did you follow this up after a couple of days of diminished Grills deck service with the Hotel Manager or senior staff, either Naomi or Virginia on your cruise, and ask why the down grading of the level of service?

Edited by Victoria2

8 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

😂 😂 " Yet around the pool and Lido, you could get anything served without batting an eyelash" 

Correct, just as I've been saying , "There's life outside the Grills" 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bell Boy said:

😂 😂 " Yet around the pool and Lido, you could get anything served without batting an eyelash" 

Correct, just as I've been saying , "There's life outside the Grills" 😉

Of course there is. However for many of us, a lack of QV staff waiting around to take drinks orders is not reason enough to forsake deck 11's facilities.

If the staffing level was so poor all the time, I hope WOV brought it up with the Hotel Manager and asked why one deck steward circulated once during his holiday.

53 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Of course there is. However for many of us, a lack of QV staff waiting around to take drinks orders is not reason enough to forsake deck 11's facilities.

If the staffing level was so poor all the time, I hope WOV brought it up with the Hotel Manager and asked why one deck steward circulated once during his holiday.

Tricky, isn’t it? Nowhere is it written down what service one might expect on the Grills Terrace. I only discovered about the ice cream one afternoon when I happened to be there at the right time. Now I have an old brochure for QE2, which, I think, promises bouillon on the open decks at 11 am - which incidentally I never saw. But it is hard to complain about the lack of something that doesn’t seem to be promised. I suppose all one can do is ask why it has changed, and, if they say Covid, snort with derisive laughter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Tricky, isn’t it? Nowhere is it written down what service one might expect on the Grills Terrace. I only discovered about the ice cream one afternoon when I happened to be there at the right time. Now I have an old brochure for QE2, which, I think, promises bouillon on the open decks at 11 am - which incidentally I never saw. But it is hard to complain about the lack of something that doesn’t seem to be promised. I suppose all one can do is ask why it has changed, and, if they say Covid, snort with derisive laughter.

and you would only know of any downgrading if, through experience, you had knowledge of life before March '20. 🙂

I think I mentioned morning ice cream and finger sandwiches to you years ago on this board as you weren't aware of their  existence.

'Things' might vary cruise locale to cruise locale but it's no use mentioning downgrading if a given explanation doesn't accompany the comment.

To be fair Covid could actually be a reason, not an excuse if staffing levels are down but Cunard's communication skills do 'occasionally' leave a little to be desired. Frank explanations go a long way in my book.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

and you would only know of any downgrading if, through experience, you had knowledge of life before March '20. 🙂

I think I mentioned morning ice cream and finger sandwiches to you years ago on this board as you weren't aware of their  existence.

'Things' might vary cruise locale to cruise locale but it's no use mentioning downgrading if a given explanation doesn't accompany the comment.

To be fair Covid could actually be a reason, not an excuse if staffing levels are down but Cunard's communication skills do 'occasionally' leave a little to be desired. Frank explanations go a long way in my book.

Yes, I remember the shock of learning about the sandwiches, which I have still failed to encounter. Doesn’t look as if I’m going to now. 
Actually, I don’t think Covid will wash, because I seem to remember ice cream on a cruise last year.

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, I remember the shock of learning about the sandwiches, which I have still failed to encounter. Doesn’t look as if I’m going to now. 
Actually, I don’t think Covid will wash, because I seem to remember ice cream on a cruise last year.

Might do, It could have been locale driven in the past or it could be staffing issues which could have arisen through Covid.

Don't ask, won't have any idea.

Well I hope they don't trot out the "virus" as an excuse... we sailed in QM2 in Jan 22 and QE in Sep 22 in Grill and the service and the amenities on the Grills decks were "as always" and exemplary.  QM2 had 2-3 staff working the grill deck all day and QE it was equally attentive. 

Perhaps if Cunard has "staffing issues" they might possibly not add another ship to the fleet and concentrate on their core fleet and... customers first. 

Cunard Grill is still an exemplary product but at $1300 a day (Princess) vs $200 (Britannia) (on the Baltic cruise, they were selling it at $1800 pp for 16 days even)  it should be. And better be.

1 minute ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Well I hope they don't trot out the "virus" as an excuse... we sailed in QM2 in Jan 22 and QE in Sep 22 in Grill and the service and the amenities on the Grills decks were "as always" and exemplary.  QM2 had 2-3 staff working the grill deck all day and QE it was equally attentive. 

Perhaps if Cunard has "staffing issues" they might possibly not add another ship to the fleet and concentrate on their core fleet and... customers first. 

Cunard Grill is still an exemplary product but at $1300 a day (Princess) vs $200 (Britannia) (on the Baltic cruise, they were selling it at $1800 pp for 16 days even)  it should be. And better be.

Did you ask why the service in your opinion was a downgrade?

Actually the bar manager in the Winter Garden asked why I was doing a "takeaway" for the Grills Deck and I told him. He said he would "bring it up" with his supervisor. They even offered to bring the order up to me and I thought that was silly and did it myself.   I was not the only one doing this btw, too.  Several passengers the first or second sea day asked 2-3 times if tea was being served on deck and it finally was. Had they not asked... I suspect not. 

But it's been 30 years now since I wore a pursers uniform so I am not going to spend much of my holiday solving Cunard's service and amenity issues.  They know and just hope we don't notice. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Dennis Dawson was quite a character. It was worth the modest charge for a deck chair just to have conversation with this man. The morning bouillon and afternoon tea service were a bonus.

We have travelled in all restaurant classes, not always the Grills. On our five crossings on the QM2 in the Grills I have never seen any amenity on the tiny Grills deck other than water. Perhaps if we had spent more time there we might have seen something else.

On our first Grills experience on the QE we realised what a superior Grills deck the QE has vs the QM2.  We didn't spend too much time there so are not aware of any service.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Actually the bar manager in the Winter Garden asked why I was doing a "takeaway" for the Grills Deck and I told him. He said he would "bring it up" with his supervisor. They even offered to bring the order up to me and I thought that was silly and did it myself.   I was not the only one doing this btw, too.  Several passengers the first or second sea day asked 2-3 times if tea was being served on deck and it finally was. Had they not asked... I suspect not. 

But it's been 30 years now since I wore a pursers uniform so I am not going to spend much of my holiday solving Cunard's service and amenity issues.  They know and just hope we don't notice. 

but you don't know.

I am of the unusual group of people who would seek to sort out/question an issue  onboard with someone with clout eg Hotel Manager in this case, rather than leave it to a member of staff who  might/might not bring it up with a supervisor.

Airing 'standards have dropped' on social media, with no back up as to why or if it's an issue which can be sorted asap seems to be a frequent go to these days.

As with the problems we had in our cabin, glitches happen. It's how they are dealt with which is the mark of good service be that by communication as to why or rectifying the glitch.

• Like 2

I am not sure if lowering standards and services is "a glitch".  It is a calculated, planned decision by upper management, something that most if not all aboard the ship, or the plane or the hotel have no power to correct or indeed explain. 

My "go to" as a past and frequent customer, is to receive what I got the last time to make me return. 

Cunard doesn't even do end of voyage questionnaires anymore... I have not seen one since QV in Sept 2019.  

But I do think the bar manager "got the message" and might even have passed it on.  And I can carry own drinks, thanks very much. An ability that one hopes will be not be needed in October on QV.  

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 1

Lowering standards or a glitch.

If it's a temporary issue which can be sorted, as in the resumption of tea service, it's a glitch. If  there's a lack of personnel anywhere and it's rectified, it's a glitch. I will add though if passengers don't report their misgivings to senior staff, how can things be looked at? I have no idea if questionnaires help and they seem to be random anyway. We didn't get one for last August and haven't had one this time.

I will find out later in the year if I think there has been a significant change and if the general deck service and deck afternoon tea is vastly different from that of our previous cruises I will be asking questions of senior ship staff.

I don't sugar coat. I will be telling it how it is.

Whilst I too would like everything to remain the same, I realise the times we live in may have some bearing on present and future offerings. I would be prepared to pay more for the continued level of attention to detail but I might be in the minority there.

The small stuff won't affect our loyalty to the product. Huge overall downgrading, might. Luckily for us, the staff on Queen Victoria have been and are still, wonderful. That goes a hell of a long way to retain our loyalty. 🙂