No tea, coffee, cake etc on grills deck QM2. Only water or you can buy drinks

Windsurfboy

It is my opinion only and whilst many will not agree the prices now being charged for Grills over price of a balcony cabin is really not worth the money. There have been significant price increases in Grill suites this last couple of years and can see our cruise in Nov in a PG, unless a very good deal comes up, will be our last. Will be quiet happy with a balcony and meals in Britannia restaurant.

43 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes and it is true.

If the White star service isn't 'delivered'  and the ships don't seem to measure up to your standards, why do you 'keep' booking?

It does remind me a bit of those who bang on about standards dropping and Cunard isn't the same any more and yet book more holidays on said now substandard product.

43 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

If the White star service isn't 'delivered'  and the ships don't seem to measure up to your standards, why do you 'keep' booking?

It does remind me a bit of those who bang on about standards dropping and Cunard isn't the same any more and yet book more holidays on said now substandard product.

Who says I keep booking you shouldn't assume. My cruise on QV in November was booked over 18 months ago and my recent QM2 roundtrip TA 2 years ago. I did not book anymore cruises with Cunard on my recent cruise and aside from QV in Nov we have 4 booked on P&O.

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Who says I keep booking you shouldn't assume. My cruise on QV in November was booked over 18 months ago and my recent QM2 roundtrip TA 2 years ago. I did not book anymore cruises with Cunard on my recent cruise and aside from QV in Nov we have 4 booked on P&O.

'Keep' was in inverted commas to show a possibility rather than an actual and to be fair, you did say can see our cruise in Nov in a PG, unless a very good deal comes up, Will be quiet happy with a balcony and meals in Britannia restaurant.  in post 16 which does indicate a booking could very well be made i.e. not ruled out.

Enjoy P&O.

I have been sailing with Cunard since 1977 and although I rate CARONIA as our best experience with the line (twice), today's product is frankly superior to 1970s QE2.  Cunard in the grills remains an exemplary product.  And rewarded by my patronage.  We have three cruises "in the pipe line" including a repeat of QM2's wonderful Southampton-West Indies "direct" long cruise in Jan 2025.  And two on our favourite QV including the Aegean cruise we booked aboard QM2 back in Jan 2022.  It's been sold out in the grills ever since I think.  It was released when we were aboard and I swear four couples, including us, decided to book it over drinks in the grill lounge that evening. Talk about a captive audience. Now that is loyalty. 

But I am not a "Stockholm Syndrome" Cunarder, either.  To book them is not to be held hostage by my loyalty or to excuse faults or failings. Or be somehow "grateful" they take $22,000 a pop from my wallet per cruise.  Post virus there is some of this, "oh, please just let us go on a cruise" attitude like we're a dog who missed his morning walk.  Nor do I care about their market, their profits or whims of corporate decisions except as it effects me. The customer.  If it's degraded into just another crappy "anyone" and "everyone" line to survive, it will do so without my custom. 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

If it's degraded into just another crappy "anyone" and "everyone" line to survive, it will do so without my custom. 

One does agree…..

Same with the dumbing down of the dress code to suit anyone and everyone.

DW made a perceptive statement last night, mentioning that although we will continue to maintain previous formal Cunard dress code standards, there will come a time when we look around at the clientele and think “not for us anymore”, then it will be time to move on.  And we will…

• Like 2

Anyone involved in Sales and Marketing knows ony too well, that it costs much less to keep your existing customers loyal, than it does to obtain new customers.

If, on "Gala" nights, the restaurants were fairly empty, and the "Smash and Grab" was full, then that might strengthen the case for relaxing the dress code. But that's not the case at all.

I don't want to be lugging around a dinner suit and dresses for fewer and fewer nights. We're now down to 3 per fortnight (2 per week on a crossing). Is that really what people want? Does anyone know? The Bean Counters must have worked out that they save somewhere by having more casual nights.

If you have a USP that works, why try to fix it?

• Like 2

It's a perverse but prevailing corporate ethos now to disdain, denigrate and dismiss your core customer and product. Almost every company, in every field, does it with gusto now.  Those who cherish Cunard for wood steamer chairs, proper promenade decks, dressing for dinner not for mowing the lawn, traditional "no fly" cruises from New York or Southampton, ballroom dancing to real orchestras, etc. etc. are dismissed as "old fogies" and "dinosaurs" who just aren't hip enough to appreciate "silent disco", "fly cruises" of missed flights, sailings and lost luggage, tee shirts and flip flops at dinner and promenade decks that resemble a viewless gantry around a factory floor.  They take our money but... hey, they are laughing behind our backs in the corporate boardroom.  They can't wait to replace us with... well, with what?  Survey indicate "Gen X" is happier to stay on their phones than go... anywhere. So good luck with that....  "virtual cruising" is the future it appears. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Anyone involved in Sales and Marketing knows ony too well, that it costs much less to keep your existing customers loyal, than it does to obtain new customers.

If, on "Gala" nights, the restaurants were fairly empty, and the "Smash and Grab" was full, then that might strengthen the case for relaxing the dress code. But that's not the case at all.

I don't want to be lugging around a dinner suit and dresses for fewer and fewer nights. We're now down to 3 per fortnight (2 per week on a crossing). Is that really what people want? Does anyone know? The Bean Counters must have worked out that they save somewhere by having more casual nights.

If you have a USP that works, why try to fix it?

New Cunard Voyagers?  

DW and I (pre COVID) enjoyed 80 to 130 Voyage nights each per year.

The new customers usually have up to 14 nights pp for a holiday, but are price fickle and not loyal.  Therefore, as mentioned by a MD, to replace DW and I, the Math does suggest probably 12 to 20 new pax per year, every year, again and again.  
MD then added, without considering the actual onboard spends and forgetting the many appreciations and gifts to staff.

It is accepted Carnival hold true to the fact that DW and I are only two very small, of little consequence, revenue streams.  Carnival know best, being only loyal to themselves.

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

'Keep' was in inverted commas to show a possibility rather than an actual and to be fair, you did say can see our cruise in Nov in a PG, unless a very good deal comes up, Will be quiet happy with a balcony and meals in Britannia restaurant.  in post 16 which does indicate a booking could very well be made i.e. not ruled out.

Enjoy P&O.

I will we went on Iona in March and was very enjoyable.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

On a slightly different but related topic, there was some confusion as wether tonight was going to be formal as it said formal in daily programme,  smart attire on TV. Osman sorted it out , but discussion led to why only 3 formal nights. Osman said some people don't like formal so eat in buffet,  so company dropped  it to three in a fortnight. Clearly the wishes of regulars who like formal are secondary. 

On QM2 grills deck is far to small and no service, grills service should apply to all areas. Cunard grills prices have more than kept up with inflation 

Anyway get full service on every deck on Saga. So our go too will be Sagaa and Silversea , but still trying to fit in Cunard Japan to Alaska 

FYI... and this was "way back" in Jan 2022 (a lifetime ago in the cutback timeline), there most certainly was full deck service on QM2's Grill Deck my last trip.  It was... exemplary... with a bar set up, water and juices laid out, coffee and tea, sandwiches, fruit skewers, two tea trolleys and if they didn't have what you wanted to drink, they walked down that long "tunnel" staircase two decks below to the aft lido bar to get it. Absolutely ace and what I expect (and pay for) when travelling Grill "class". The service and cuisine on that voyage rates it as one of my top five trips. Superb!  Cutting back on superb is what Cunard management will have to justify at some point when they are increasing per diems by oh about 20 per cent now. 

QV, deck 11, we have had fruit kebabs, ice cream, finger sandwiches around noon, cold drinks, basic out door afternoon tea and circulating stewards. Noon sandwiches and afternoon tea yes and drinks stewards but the rest been dependent on locality.

It has never been a given all occur every cruise. Obviously, only cruising on QV and only in a QG cabin, we have been let down.

Not. 🙂

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

I don't want to be lugging around a dinner suit and dresses for fewer and fewer nights. We're now down to 3 per fortnight (2 per week on a crossing). Is that really what people want? Does anyone know?

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Osman said some people don't like formal so eat in buffet,  so company dropped  it to three in a fortnight. Clearly the wishes of regulars who like formal are secondary.

Could the answer be that those who want more formal nights, dress formally on some additional nights when formal is not required?

Instead of "lugging" stuff around for fewer nights, wear it on gala nights and a few others of your own choosing. If lots of folk did that then word may get back to the "company" that there are folk who want gala nights, in the same way they are being told that some are eating in the buffet because they don't like formal.

Both these photos were taken on "Smart Attire" nights. If you read the definition in the daily program you would find that we complied with requirements.

Next time I will probably wear a black or white tux every night on a 14 or 15 night round trip crossing. Rationalising in that way may also reduce the amount I need to lug around.

2022-06-01ZilkhaVarteks_PT_002210x10mural.thumb.JPG.e45a0e9a7e6a3ffdc6c0d02fd165263d.JPG2022-06-08WallisSilverVarteks_DM_RS_0009.thumb.JPG.89eef2f806428647302104ca730a89ba.JPG

Edited by D&N
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, D&N said:

Could the answer be that those who want more formal nights, dress formally on some additional nights when formal is not required?

Instead of "lugging" stuff around for fewer nights, wear it on gala nights and a few others of your own choosing. If lots of folk did that then word may get back to the "company" that there are folk who want gala nights, in the same way they are being told that some are eating in the buffet because they don't like formal.

Both these photos were taken on "Smart Attire" nights. If you read the definition in the daily program you would find that we complied with requirements.

Next time I will probably wear a black or white tux every night on a 14 or 15 night round trip crossing. Rationalising in that way may also reduce the amount I need to lug around.

2022-06-01ZilkhaVarteks_PT_002210x10mural.thumb.JPG.e45a0e9a7e6a3ffdc6c0d02fd165263d.JPG2022-06-08WallisSilverVarteks_DM_RS_0009.thumb.JPG.89eef2f806428647302104ca730a89ba.JPG

A dinner jacket would be an oddity but I would say my Smart attire clothes would match the level of your wife's outfits and that goes for many ladies in QG so nothing new there.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

A dinner jacket would be an oddity but I would say my Smart attire clothes would match the level of your wife's outfits and that goes for many ladies in QG so nothing new there.

I would think most ladies Smart Attire clothing would be just as appropriate on gala nights.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, D&N said:

I would think most ladies Smart Attire clothing would be just as appropriate on gala nights.

Yes. Apart  from my long dresses which are most definitely, Gala wear, I completely agree with you.🙂

• Like 1

We have long taken the "dress code" as a minimum and usually dress formally at least 1 or 2 additional nights (sea days) on a 14-day cruise. Three nights formal on a fortnight cruise.... ridiculous. On QM2, 26 days, we had four formal nights. Even more absurd.  We dressed formally for eight or nine instead. Happily, we were not alone, either. 

I wear a jacket and tie on "smart casual" nights and more often wear a suit it's a sea day.  Heck, I wear a jacket and tie when I fly, too.  Always have, always will. 

But personal choice and personal standards.  I'd rather stand out wearing a dinner jacket than a backpack or a ballcap in the evening but that's just me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

We have long taken the "dress code" as a minimum and usually dress formally at least 1 or 2 additional nights (sea days) on a 14-day cruise. Three nights formal on a fortnight cruise.... ridiculous. On QM2, 26 days, we had four formal nights. Even more absurd.  We dressed formally for eight or nine instead. Happily, we were not alone, either. 

I wear a jacket and tie on "smart casual" nights and more often wear a suit it's a sea day.  Heck, I wear a jacket and tie when I fly, too.  Always have, always will. 

But personal choice and personal standards.  I'd rather stand out wearing a dinner jacket than a backpack or a ballcap in the evening but that's just me. 

Quite a bit of chat over the time  re 'ball cap wear' after six.

I have yet to see one around Queen Victoria of an evening. I think an evening  back pack sounds intriguing but I have also yet to see one of those.

I'm obviously going around with my eyes closed. 🙂

• Like 1

You need to join us for cocktails in the Chart Room then... one of the "outside" people watching tables.  First ballcap spotted, we pay for the round... the second, you do. If there's a backpack, I suggest we switch to Plymouth Navy Strength gin. 

But yes... I've seen it.  With a water bottle, too. I appreciate the waits for "open sitting" at 7 may be long but.... really?

5 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

You need to join us for cocktails in the Chart Room then... one of the "outside" people watching tables.  First ballcap spotted, we pay for the round... the second, you do. If there's a backpack, I suggest we switch to Plymouth Navy Strength gin. 

But yes... I've seen it.  With a water bottle, too. I appreciate the waits for "open sitting" at 7 may be long but.... really?

Not a lot I can say other than  I guess it's a sartorial version of Bulls,.t Bingo

Although I have yet to wear a dinner jacket on non-formal nights I always wear a jacket and tie to dinner on Cunard.  This is the 50th year since our first Cunard voyage and I have never gone to dinner on any Cunard ship without a jacket and tie and never will.  

Ten years ago we had a one-week cruise to Norway on the QE. There were three formal nights. The 10-day cruises to Alaska have only two formal nights.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1