Do I really want to go on an Alaskan cruise?

DiscoingGD

The unexamined life is not worth living.

- Socrates

If the purpose of traveling is to broaden your horizons and expose you to other cultures, then by all means go to Alaska.

Another Caribbean cruise will not add much to your life list.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

My recommendation specifically to you is do an Alaskan cruise, but don’t do any landtour add-ons.  I probably wouldn’t recommend the specific one you are looking at if you aren’t going to experience the ship sailing into the bays to see the glaciers because it’s too early in the season.  Those cruising days were one the bigger highlights on our trip because we could experience Alaska while still being on the ship in a warmer location.   The experiences of Alaska your first time is worth the effort.  

And some much prefer the land portion and less prefer the cruise portion.

IMO - both have their pluses. The things you see on land you don't see on a cruise and vice versa! Both are excellent.

Weather is unpredictable. In early May - we had 70 degree temps almost every day in Alaska with sun.

• Like 1

In my opinion… never let the weather slow you down!  It’s predictable yet unpredictable.  Monthly averages are just that…averages.  Light weight but warm layers are all you need other than a rain jacket and hat.  (Assuming you’re not going in the winter!). My heavy weight sneakers might have gotten wet on a long hike, but dry overnight. Most any clothes will dry overnight.  If MotherNature hands you a weather challenge, then your ship is your shelter with perks!  Dress code on board is pretty casual day and night. ( think spring/fall )

Alaska is such an enormous area, that getting even a small taste of it just might make you want to return.  Expensive shore excursions? For the most part, yes.  (Perhaps splurge on one that might really strike your interest.) Views from the ship… great!  Walkable ports, yes!!  Read up on them and you will surely find something unique at each one that you can visit along your walk.

And best of all, Alaska is part of the USA!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Coral said:

And some much prefer the land portion and less prefer the cruise portion.

IMO - both have their pluses. The things you see on land you don't see on a cruise and vice versa! Both are excellent.

Weather is unpredictable. In early May - we had 70 degree temps almost every day in Alaska with sun.

My recommendation was specifically to a Floridian who is accustomed to warm weather, apprehensive of Alaskan weather, and prefers the ship over excursions.  I loved my land portion too.  But, I'm not telling him to do what I like. I am giving him a recommendation based on what he says he likes and is concerned about.  

13 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

My recommendation was specifically to a Floridian who is accustomed to warm weather, apprehensive of Alaskan weather, and prefers the ship over excursions.  I loved my land portion too.  But, I'm not telling him to do what I like. I am giving him a recommendation based on what he says he likes and is concerned about.  

It is in the 70's this week in Fairbanks. I think a Floridan could handle 70's with lows around 57.

I don't find land portions "excursions". Maybe some people do. 

I guess I understood what he wanted differently.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Coral said:

It is in the 70's this week in Fairbanks. I think a Floridan could handle 70's with lows around 57.

I don't find land portions "excursions". Maybe some people do. 

I guess I understood what he wanted differently.

Look - you clearly have your thoughts.  Good for you.  Don’t know why you are making this personal.  

I stand by recommendations to the OP.  

My answer is YES!  I too live in Florida but I am also very well traveled and have lived in colder climates.  There is just too much beauty to see in the world to limit yourself to tropical temperatures.  Alaska is beautiful!  I have gone on two cruises and two land vacations there.  I also have another cruise booked in August.  I say go for it, just bring the correct clothing.  I have had very warm days in Alaska where I was in short sleeve t-shirts and cooler days.  

Alaska also has great wildlife so it is not just the mountains, glaciers, etc that is beautiful - it is the animals.  You will see whales, eagles, maybe a bear.  My first Alaskan cruise I even saw great white sharks - although I think it is extremely rare to see them.  

Having said that, I know for some weather is the top priority and everything else takes a back seat.  If that is you, maybe Alaska is not for you.  I just hope you will decide to get out of your weather comfort zone and see this absolutely breathtaking part of the USA and world!

• Like 2

Sure.   My last cruise would have put me in the double-digits the number of times I've been to Alaska, so let my feet do the talking.   But--keep an eye on the airline situation (which you don't have to do, when the sailings are out of Florida), and maybe not now.   Southwest, American, and United are dealing with potential pilots' and flight attendants' union strikes.  United is just terrible right now (see my other thread).   I haven't seen any issue with flying Delta and Alaskan Airlines yet, and I see no reason to worry about making it at least to Seattle.    This summer's peak travel season might not be a good time.  This late August/September might be good (and the cruises are cheaper), but then you deal with shorter days and colder weather.   But on the flip side:   more sales at all the shops, and more bear sightings.  And salmon (in August).

Edited by tetleytea

Don't go to Alaska.  It is getting crowded.  Seriously, my husband and I went on a R/T Inside passage from Vancouver and loved it.  We were living in Hawaii at the time, and made sure we took long underwear, hat, gloves, and rain gear.  Went back again in 2022, a southbound trip.  OMG I want to go again.  

16 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

I agree with Coral's advice. If they take your advice, they won't see much of Alaska.

I see Florida as enviable in that you can just drive to the ship.  No baggage limits, no...a lot of things.  By going to Alaska, you are foregoing all that, the reason being that you already sailed the Caribbean aplenty.   If you like the ship more than the ports, Florida offers transatlantic sailings.  Or Panama Canal.  You only have to fly one way back, and if your flight is delayed--oh darn.  Have to stay in Lisbon another day. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/13/2023 at 11:21 PM, DiscoingGD said:

Hello All,

I know the title is somewhat bold to put on the Alaskan sub-forum, but hear me out. I'm a lifelong Floridian that's enjoyed his 2 RCCL Caribbean cruises & has never seen snow, but always wanted to (even though I get uncomfortably cold in the 40s). I saw a great deal for an 8-day Alaskan cruise on RC (May 2024, only $100/day for a solo cabin), but I'm looking at the potential cons, which I'm hoping you can alleviate:

• From what I've heard $100/day is great for an Alaskan cruise, but it's pretty average for a Caribbean cruise, which I don't need to spend $500 to fly to. So, the way I'm looking at it, is this cruise worth an extra $500 to experience?
  • Average temps in May (according to Google) range from 56 degrees (sounds fantastic) to 42 at night (no bueno). There's almost 17 hours on sunlight in May, so can I assume the bulk of my day would at least be in the 50s? I know rain & clouds could make this vary drastically, but I'm sure some of you cruised there in May and can provide some anecdotal experiences.
  • I'm not an excursion guy. In the Caribbean, I enjoyed walking around a bit and then enjoyed the boat amenities while people were still out. In Alaska, I'm hoping there are scenic trails I can walk near every port (As a Floridian, I'm in awe of both the snow and mountains lol). In Juneau, for example, I'll take the public bus to Mendenhall Glacier and walk around there. I just don't know if every port has something like that, and if not, or if the weather's bad, I don't know if there's as much to do on the boat on Alaskan cruises vs Caribbean? I don't think I'd enjoy the Flowrider in Alaska, for example. Hot tubbing in the arctic sounds fun though! In short, am I missing the point of an Alaskan cruise if I just walk around and take in the scenery?

To conclude, I REALLY want to go, but not being used to that environment, I'm afraid of worst-case scenario that I'm just cold and miserable the whole time. Talk me into it please!

I can’t help but say, “THANK YOU for posting this!”  Seriously, I’m struggling with the Alaskan cruise costs, when we, typically, drive to a departure port.  Plus, I really prefer a beach over wildlife on any day.  However, we have visited a lot of U.S. National Parks over the years, and the beauty is pretty amazing.

It is major financial investment that might possibly be a disappointment, but the hubby wants to see Alaska, so we are searching cruise options.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 8:04 AM, MississippiMom said:

I can’t help but say, “THANK YOU for posting this!”  Seriously, I’m struggling with the Alaskan cruise costs, when we, typically, drive to a departure port.  Plus, I really prefer a beach over wildlife on any day.  However, we have visited a lot of U.S. National Parks over the years, and the beauty is pretty amazing.

It is major financial investment that might possibly be a disappointment, but the hubby wants to see Alaska, so we are searching cruise options.

I can tell you that after doing dozens of Caribbean cruises, I will go back to Alaska any day of the week but have no desire to go to the Caribbean. I never thought I would like Alaska but much prefer it to the Caribbean.

On 6/13/2023 at 11:21 PM, DiscoingGD said:

Hello All,

I know the title is somewhat bold to put on the Alaskan sub-forum, but hear me out. I'm a lifelong Floridian that's enjoyed his 2 RCCL Caribbean cruises & has never seen snow, but always wanted to (even though I get uncomfortably cold in the 40s). I saw a great deal for an 8-day Alaskan cruise on RC (May 2024, only $100/day for a solo cabin), but I'm looking at the potential cons, which I'm hoping you can alleviate:

• From what I've heard $100/day is great for an Alaskan cruise, but it's pretty average for a Caribbean cruise, which I don't need to spend $500 to fly to. So, the way I'm looking at it, is this cruise worth an extra $500 to experience?
  • Average temps in May (according to Google) range from 56 degrees (sounds fantastic) to 42 at night (no bueno). There's almost 17 hours on sunlight in May, so can I assume the bulk of my day would at least be in the 50s? I know rain & clouds could make this vary drastically, but I'm sure some of you cruised there in May and can provide some anecdotal experiences.
  • I'm not an excursion guy. In the Caribbean, I enjoyed walking around a bit and then enjoyed the boat amenities while people were still out. In Alaska, I'm hoping there are scenic trails I can walk near every port (As a Floridian, I'm in awe of both the snow and mountains lol). In Juneau, for example, I'll take the public bus to Mendenhall Glacier and walk around there. I just don't know if every port has something like that, and if not, or if the weather's bad, I don't know if there's as much to do on the boat on Alaskan cruises vs Caribbean? I don't think I'd enjoy the Flowrider in Alaska, for example. Hot tubbing in the arctic sounds fun though! In short, am I missing the point of an Alaskan cruise if I just walk around and take in the scenery?

To conclude, I REALLY want to go, but not being used to that environment, I'm afraid of worst-case scenario that I'm just cold and miserable the whole time. Talk me into it please!

I am going to say there is little to do in the Caribbean so walking around makes sense. There is so much to do in Alaska - I would save and spend money on excursions. And yes they are expensive. I would hate for you to talk around the ports and see the same shopping that is in the Caribbean and come back and say "there wasn't much to do".

I think Mendenhall is over-rated. I would not recommend this. The glacier has receded so much that I would never recommend this to friends.

Alaska is gorgeous but you have to get out of the port towns to see it. Those who complain about their Alaskan cruises are those who get off the ship and just walk around. 

Go beyond your comfort zone here - your efforts will be rewarded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Coral said:

I can tell you that after doing dozens of Caribbean cruises, I will go back to Alaska any day of the week but have no desire to go to the Caribbean. I never thought I would like Alaska but much prefer it to the Caribbean.

Thanks, @Coral!  I think that this will be what happens with my husband.  We do enjoy the ease of cruising, but he wants to see up north, now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MississippiMom said:

Thanks, @Coral!  I think that this will be what happens with my husband.  We do enjoy the ease of cruising, but he wants to see up north, now.

Alaska is truly gorgeous. Though in many ports - it is important to get out of the port towns t see the beauty. I didn't spend much money on excursions on my first cruise and I missed out. It is worth it to do the excursions in Alaska. They are definitely expensive in Alaska compared to the Caribbean. Plan accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not going to try to convince anyone to go anywhere.  All I can tell you that I have been to AK maybe 10 or 15 times including an almost 3 month driving trip covering 12,000 miles to and from Las Vegas and driving nearly every drivable road in AK.  I take my grandkids on a coming-of-age to AK cruise without their parents and we and the grandkids have loved the trips.  My best cruises in AK were on ships that held 50 - 100 people and not several thousand people.  I even went to Fairbanks in February to do aurora photography - talk about cold!!   I have been to different islands in the Caribbean maybe 3 or 4 times and that is enough for me.  My opinion of Caribbean cruises is that they are all sort of boring but obviously many people feel differently about the Caribbean. 

Different strokes for different folks.  It is your decision to make.  I will be happy to answer any specific questions you have about AK however,  

DON

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I am not going to try to convince anyone to go anywhere.  All I can tell you that I have been to AK maybe 10 or 15 times including an almost 3 month driving trip covering 12,000 miles to and from Las Vegas and driving nearly every drivable road in AK.  I take my grandkids on a coming-of-age to AK cruise without their parents and we and the grandkids have loved the trips.  My best cruises in AK were on ships that held 50 - 100 people and not several thousand people.  I even went to Fairbanks in February to do aurora photography - talk about cold!!   I have been to different islands in the Caribbean maybe 3 or 4 times and that is enough for me.  My opinion of Caribbean cruises is that they are all sort of boring but obviously many people feel differently about the Caribbean. 

Different strokes for different folks.  It is your decision to make.  I will be happy to answer any specific questions you have about AK however,  

DON

I went to the Caribbean a lot when I was younger. A friend would go to Alaska. I was like "who would pay to go to Alaska?". I got a free trip and decided to do Alaska as I would never pay to go there! Well - one trip convinced me otherwise! I haven't been to the Caribbean in the last 10 years but definitely have been to Alaska. I don't know where I have been more to but my last cruises have not been to the Caribbean.

I have always thought it was cool you take your grand kids to Alaska! They will always remember that trip!

YES!!!

I never wanted to, thought it was something I could do in my 70’s.  Went with family 8 years ago, 4 years ago my husband and I grabbed a super cheap round trip out of Seattle that went to three different ports we had not visited the first cruise, and now we’re going again this June.  I’d take it over Caribbean any day!  

• Like 1

I have lived in Florida for a very long time now. I feel like there is no reason for me to go on a carribean cruise since Florida has a lot of nice beaches. 

I love alaska.  You just need a rain poncho or something a little warm for the weather.  The outdoors are beautiful.  Remoteness is great.  Food for the soul, but it's really about what you are looking for in a vacation. 

I look at pictures of places to see if I want to travel there or not.  I don't care for beaches but love mountains and bears. To me, the extra cost of alaska is worth it.

• Like 3