Forward vs Aft staterooms

Dreamscaper

As some of you are aware, we were assigned a stateroom in the far aft for our sailing aboard the Regal Princess at the end of October (after booking a guaranteed mid-ship), and there's nothing Princess is willing to do to fix that.  It's a bit early still, but I'm thinking ahead to when the time comes to possibly bid on an upgrade.

I've seen a few posters assure me that they actually prefer the aft staterooms, which is a relief to hear.  My question is... how about the *forward* rooms?  If we gamble and bid on an upgrade to a deluxe balcony or mini suite, my understanding is that they could end up placing us anywhere on the ship (forward, mid or aft).  Are the far forward staterooms a worse off position to be in than the far aft?  Or are they fairly comparable?

Thanks for any insight!

22 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

All I will say is this, in rough seas think "diving board" if you are in one of the forward cabins. 😉

Thank you!  I guess we'll just keep the aft balcony we were assigned because our luck with Princess would have us end up assigned to the bounciest stateroom on the ship if we won a bid :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreamscaper said:

Thank you!  I guess we'll just keep the aft balcony we were assigned because our luck with Princess would have us end up assigned to the bounciest stateroom on the ship if we won a bid :classic_laugh:

That bounciest stateroom on the ship would be fine with us. We like motion, and my DH actively dislikes aft cabins. I'm not really sure why that is, since he's not really sure why that is, but it is.

I absolutely LOVE cruising in an aft balcony!! Fantastic view of both sides, which was a plus on our Panama Canal trip. Smooth as glass. Have not had a forward cabin, but everyone I know who has had one has said considerably more motion can be felt up there. 

~Kathryn 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, blondee419 said:

I absolutely LOVE cruising in an aft balcony!! Fantastic view of both sides, which was a plus on our Panama Canal trip. Smooth as glass. Have not had a forward cabin, but everyone I know who has had one has said considerably more motion can be felt up there. 

~Kathryn 

We agree, aft-facing cabins are awesome! However, I'm guessing the OP is referring to aft cabins located on either the port or starboard side of the ship rather than aft-facing, which I imagine would be a rare find resulting from an upgrade bid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dreamscaper said:

As some of you are aware, we were assigned a stateroom in the far aft for our sailing aboard the Regal Princess at the end of October (after booking a guaranteed mid-ship), and there's nothing Princess is willing to do to fix that.  It's a bit early still, but I'm thinking ahead to when the time comes to possibly bid on an upgrade.

I've seen a few posters assure me that they actually prefer the aft staterooms, which is a relief to hear.  My question is... how about the *forward* rooms?  If we gamble and bid on an upgrade to a deluxe balcony or mini suite, my understanding is that they could end up placing us anywhere on the ship (forward, mid or aft).  Are the far forward staterooms a worse off position to be in than the far aft?  Or are they fairly comparable?

Thanks for any insight!

I like both but movement doesn't bother us. 

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We agree, aft-facing cabins are awesome! However, I'm guessing the OP is referring to aft cabins located on either the port or starboard side of the ship rather than aft-facing, which I imagine would be a rare find resulting from an upgrade bid.

Yes, we're aft port, *almost* at the very end, but not facing aft :(

• Like 2

Aft for us. Prefer port side but this next one is starboard cause that's all that was left. I always try to book aft, port, with no interiors across from me, no adjoining cabins, but elevators or stairs are OK. Once we did the aft facing and enjoyed that as well.

Heres my opinion of forward/mid-forward cabins....I like them on the higher decks! My favorites are Lido and Sun Deck (on ships with Sun Deck cabins like Enchanted and Sky). I have also been in Marina forward. This has been on Alaska and Carribean cruises.  Have been in aft cabins as well as forward/aft tend to be lower priced. 

BTW last month I won an upgrade bid on Royal from forward Lido balcony and was placed in a mid-forward Lido mini. Loved it!  Its a gamble though, you have to be willing to take what you get. 

Edited by Buckeye10640

My preference is well forward of midship.  I'm not concerned about ship movement, I prefer to be away from potential vibration from engines, shafts and propellers.  This isn't likely to be an issue on most of today's cruise ships... it's a hangover from a long-ago occupation.

We always book aft cabins.  One of the things we love on Princess is that it is a short run up to the food court and aft pool area without having to walk through the whole ship.

• Like 1