September 25th – Velvet – Jewel
October 11th – What the World Needs Now – Star
October 11th – World Beat – Sun
October 28th – Footloose – Joy
November 4th – Showdown – Dawn
January 26, 2024 – SIX – Breakaway
February 24, 2024 – SIX – Bliss

I hope these dates are accurate.

I'm sailing Joy on July 23rd for the 2nd time and I hope Footloose is still playing so that the newbies in my group can experience the full level of entertainment that we did last summer.

When you become very regular the entertainment does get a bit stale but some do stand multiple viewings even if you give then a rest some trips.

The bigger shows were very attractive to us after too many years of cruise production(sing/dance).  

What big venues and shows do is capture a load of people for 45mins(more with the big shows) giving space on the rest of the ship.

To survive cruising needs new people and you need to stand out on more than price.
Latest UK bargain 9n on getaway for under $300pp(inc taxes)

If you can fill a ships theatre with a game show and bingo that make a load of money why put on expensive shows.

• Like 1

I'm very sad to hear this news. As others have mentioned, having actual Broadway shows was one of the draws to Norwegian for me and a huge differentiator... to the point that when selecting the cruise I'm going on tomorrow, I gave my friend three suggested ships and she chose the Bliss in large part due to Six.

I've sailed on Celebrity Edge and Discovery Princess in the last six months, and their in-house production shows were fine but not particularly memorable (except for the giant screen on the Edge).

No mention of Beetlejuice so I guess it was too expensive to break that contract early and they'll just let it run its course?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I am surprised about 'Six'.  Very talented cast when we saw it.  

However, on the Joy in April, we had been looking forward to 'Footloose'.  We only made it through about an hour or so and then walked out. (We were not the first to leave.)  I don't know if the performers were in-experienced, but production really wasn't up to what we expected. 

We LOVED Million Dollar Quartet on Getaway in May so I'm very happy they are not on the list above.  The very talented cast of M$Q also performed 'Broadway Unplugged', one of the best shows we have enjoyed at sea.

Agree with @Sand and Seas that the Million Dollar Quartet was one of the best shows I have seen. And this is from someone who doesn’t really like the music of the 4 singers whose stories were being portrayed on stage. They were incredibly talented, played their own instruments, and had the entire theater on their feet, dancing and singing. 

Curious what are going to do the replacement shows. We love Ncl, and the entertainment has been the best we’ve experienced of any cruise line other than Disney.  We have a lot of long cruises, coming up and would love to see some new shows and different variety.

warmest, Amy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, insidecabin said:

When you become very regular the entertainment does get a bit stale but some do stand multiple viewings even if you give then a rest some trips.

The bigger shows were very attractive to us after too many years of cruise production(sing/dance).  

What big venues and shows do is capture a load of people for 45mins(more with the big shows) giving space on the rest of the ship.

To survive cruising needs new people and you need to stand out on more than price.
Latest UK bargain 9n on getaway for under $300pp(inc taxes)

If you can fill a ships theatre with a game show and bingo that make a load of money why put on expensive shows.

I'm sure cancelling the shows has more to do with the cast than it does the audience.

I read somewhere that the cost of the costumes for SIX is astronomical, but I cant remember if it was $$ in general or in comparison to other Broadway Level shows. That may have something to do with it. I hope those dates are accurate as I am dying to see it in September

30 minutes ago, Seminole1975 said:

It’s hard sometimes to get actors who will leave home for six months and who can adapt to ship life. 

I always assumed these were resume-builders that most performers were eager to take... especially compared to being in some grinding, non-equity touring production playing second and third tier cities.

• Like 3

Million dollar quartet was really good..Six was okay...We could not do more than half an hour of Footloose...we really wanted to like it but it was just awful. We have seen Velvet quite a few times and it was fun. But ncl was different with the production shows and losing that will be sad for the people who are just starting to sail with them and did not get to see what is possible on a ship.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tetleytea said:

I'm sure cancelling the shows has more to do with the cast than it does the audience.

The message should include what's next.

I have no problem with EOL long running entertainment for something new.

NCL spent years teasing new ship reveals loads of innovation and exciting new shows.

Not seeing the enthusiasm for the future these days.

• Like 2

NCL will be eliminating many shows and bringing back Fountains.  Its no cost for NCL since the performers are already ship workers.  However instead of a cast of 8, it will be reduced to a cast of 2.  To save on water, empty pitchers of air will be used instead.  Passengers will be forced to use their imagination.

All for your convenience of course.

🤩

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

12 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

NCL will be eliminating many shows and bringing back Fountains.  Its no cost for NCL since the performers are already ship workers.  However instead of a cast of 8, it will be reduced to a cast of 2.  To save on water, empty pitchers of air will be used instead.  Passengers will be forced to use their imagination.

All for your convenience of course.

🤩

Let's hope you have not stretched the humour to far with that.

Noticed over the year corporatization of the core CD let entertainment has resulted in a significant drop in quality and innovation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yet post #22 would lead us to believe customers wanted this. I mean the comedy clubs were so busy they had to move them to the main theater.  Of course, this is just spin. We've seen it many times before.

They moved comedy to the theater on multiple nights and also kept them in Headliners. So, you get 5 nights of the same comedian, doing the same routine, for our convenience of course.

Coming next, move Syd's to the main theater. Wise up!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I am surprised about 'Six'.  Very talented cast when we saw it.  

However, on the Joy in April, we had been looking forward to 'Footloose'.  We only made it through about an hour or so and then walked out. (We were not the first to leave.)  I don't know if the performers were in-experienced, but production really wasn't up to what we expected. 

We LOVED Million Dollar Quartet on Getaway in May so I'm very happy they are not on the list above.  The very talented cast of M$Q also performed 'Broadway Unplugged', one of the best shows we have enjoyed at sea.

I was on the Joy in April. I couldn't get in on the first night as it was too busy. Second night we went back and we were sat at the back and didn't see anyone walk out. It was very well received.

2 hours ago, clumsyrunner14 said:

I read somewhere that the cost of the costumes for SIX is astronomical, but I cant remember if it was $$ in general or in comparison to other Broadway Level shows. That may have something to do with it. I hope those dates are accurate as I am dying to see it in September

I rather doubt the decision was driven by the cost of costumes, beautiful as they are in SIX, There are only six performers. 

BTW, Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

So, you get 5 nights of the same comedian, doing the same routine, for our convenience of course.

comedians who do more than one show during the course of a cruise do not repeat their material. the show will be largely the same in a 7 PM and 9 PM show on the same night, but if they appear on another night, it'll be - for the most part - material you haven't heard before. comedians are human beings and they might forget if they told a particular joke before and they might repeat the occasional joke, but they generally have two or three "sets" before embarking on a cruise. 

interestingly, NCL has told me they don't book comedians on itineraries that don't originate in the USA, because "comedy doesn't travel" or some such nonsense.  so they will have fewer options and a further hole in their entertainment schedules for cruises that originate outside the USA, once these full scale shows are retired.

24 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Coming next, move Syd's to the main theater.

never say never, but the contract for syd's apparently ties the syd norman concept to that specific venue and NCL is forbidden to move that show (though not the performers) to the theatre. (in other words, the performers in syd's can appear in variety shows or cabarets in the main theatre or elsewhere on the ship; they just can't perform the same show they do in the syd norman space in the theatre.)

Edited by UKstages

4 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yet post #22 would lead us to believe customers wanted this. I mean the comedy clubs were so busy they had to move them to the main theater.  Of course, this is just spin. We've seen it many times before.

They moved comedy to the theater on multiple nights and also kept them in Headliners. So, you get 5 nights of the same comedian, doing the same routine, for our convenience of course.

Coming next, move Syd's to the main theater. Wise up!!

Even the best  improv comedy is caned rehersed most of the time.

Howl  is similar lots of set routines mixed up with tip requests

Both thrive on the enthusiastic club audience.

Good night's but its not big theatre  

The only Syd set worth a bigger venue  is rumours the rest are just lounge rock/party band stuff.

1 minute ago, insidecabin said:

Even the best  improv comedy is caned rehersed most of the time.

Howl  is similar lots of set routines mixed up with tip requests

Both thrive on the enthusiastic club audience.

Agreed, which is why we don't need 5 nights of the same. On our recent TA cruise, they were performing in front of an empty 1,000 seat theatre because everyone had heard the jokes. Bad for the passengers, worse for the comedians who thrive on audience.

Just now, YVRteacher said:

@Turtles06
There are 10 performers in SIX. 6 queens and 4 musicians who are named for the actual ladies in waiting for each queen. There is also a production manager specifically for SIX on board.  

Yes, true, the Ladies in Waiting.  I still don't think costumes drove the decision here.  🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jldevlin said:

We could not do more than half an hour of Footloose...we really wanted to like it but it was just awful. 

I have to agree with this. It was not good. On Joy last September they could only do the first night, and then covid hit an actor(s) and they cancelled the second night. People were so disappointed, but I told them they didn't miss a thing.

Footloose is definitely a main show that needed to be replaced.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

When I sailed the Joy last year the comedians each did a night in the comedy club and a night in the theater.  Oddly - comedy club was the all-ages show and the theater was the adult-content show.  When I sailed the Escape earlier this year the comedians were only in Headliners and one was the same as I saw on the Joy the previous year, he did the same set.