How to book transfer to airport upon disembarkation?

TER777

Anyone know how to book the airport transfer? Perhaps it can only be done on board? (I don't need an airport to port transfer as I'm coming in early - just to clarify that I don't know how to do it.)

On 6/16/2023 at 11:26 PM, TER777 said:

Anyone know how to book the airport transfer? Perhaps it can only be done on board? (I don't need an airport to port transfer as I'm coming in early - just to clarify that I don't know how to do it.)

In all my cruises I was able to book the transfer to the airport on debarkation day only once onboard. I guess it will be similar with Explora.

Ivi

Finally found it on the website:

"Can I purchase transfers onboard?

You are able to book transfers onboard and our Hosts will be delighted to assist.

May I pre-purchase transfers for my disembarkation?

Pre- and post journey transfers are available to book. Please advise your preferred Travel Advisor or our Explora Journeys Ambassador at time of booking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2023 at 4:03 PM, TER777 said:

I meant it as a generic question applicable to all itineraries. The one I am on would be Southampton to Heathrow, so definitely not taxi. 

You can book batransfer before you leave for your cruise 

on line

fair price

very reliable 

priced according to vehicle size required

2 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

New York?

Not just NYC.  Many ports in the USA. Europe and Asia are well suited to simply getting a taxi or private transfer.  We have not used a cruise ship transfer in our last 100 or so cruises.  For singles it can be a different story, but couples are usually better off on their own.

Hank

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Not just NYC.  Many ports in the USA. Europe and Asia are well suited to simply getting a taxi or private transfer.  We have not used a cruise ship transfer in our last 100 or so cruises.  For singles it can be a different story, but couples are usually better off on their own.

Hank

Thanks.  I will try to get one on my own.

3 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Thanks.  I will try to get one on my own.

Many will disagree, but there is another major reason I avoid cruise ship transfers.  Many airports have multiple terminals and all have various doors.  A shuttle bus will normally drop folks at one common area and than it is up to the folks to make their way (often with luggage) to the proper terminal or the part of a terminal that has their airline.  Consider that JFK Airport has 8 different terminal buildings separated by a long distance.  To move around the airport one uses the Airtran and/or some internal buses (such as now needed to get to Terminal 1).

When you get a taxi, Uber, or private car/driver, they will drop you at the proper terminal and door for your airline.  Also consider that large transfer buses will sit at the cruise port until they are full and all the luggage is loaded.  It is the same when using a transfer from airport to hotel or cruise port.  Many times you will cool your heels at the airport while they wait for more passengers.  On one Celebrity cruise that departed from Buenos Aires, are transfer folks told us to relax in the coffee shop for over an hour since they were waiting for another flight to fill our bus  (we told them where to go...and grabbed a taxi).

Hank

13 hours ago, bitob said:

You can book batransfer before you leave for your cruise 

on line

fair price

very reliable 

priced according to vehicle size required

It could be pre-booked via TA but not website. If you want to use your shipboard credits, best to wait till onboard. 

Price for bus transfer Southampton to Heathrow 160€. I did not meet anyone on board who thought that reasonable. 

1 hour ago, bitob said:

I think we misunderstood one another 

I did not understand u wanted to use obc

ba transfer is private company. Nothing to do with ship. Private car xfer

Ah. Definitely not clear on that. 

We also use Welcome Pickups -- all over the world

I second that recommendation.

In the London area we have always used BAtransfer

The big difference is that with BA transfer you have a choice of vehicle.  If you have a lot of luggage, which we always do LOL, you can choose the vehicle that will hold it all.  We sometimes do the transfer with friends so vehicle size is critical.  Welcome Pickups in some places contracts with taxi drivers (Rio comes to mind) and you could end up in a very small taxi.

• Like 1

I will give you my experience  of yesterday :

i had a flight at 11,30 am from Glasgow  to Heathrow and Brussels 

without any inquiry about my flights Explora gave me a disembarkation time at 10 am 

but  " the hosts" of reception said  I always could carry the luggage of the ship by myself ( i do have an illness )   so maybe some help  ?? No our people do not work on land ...

ok new disembarkation time  9 am  - no porters in that "terminal"   2 supervisors from the people loading of the ship  did assist me  - they refused a gratuity 

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

without any inquiry about my flights Explora gave me a disembarkation time at 10 am 

but  " the hosts" of reception said  I always could carry the luggage of the ship by myself ( i do have an illness )   so maybe some help  ?? No our people do not work on land ...

ok new disembarkation time  9 am  - no porters in that "terminal"   2 supervisors from the people loading of the ship  did assist me  - they refused a gratuity 

At least on the MSC yacht Club, the butler accompanies you and carry your luggage when you leave the ship. There are no butlers on Explora? 
Ivi

3 hours ago, vistaman said:

While bearing in mind that port's operations differ from port to port and your problem may eventually to have been due to a port's authorities fault rather then MSC/Explora, this is not luxury at all. When we have a true luxury ship here in Lisbon it is usual for us to see several port personnel dealing with luggage and directing people at the usual luxury dock. They even have a police checkpoint so that only taxis, and private transfers specific for those ships would enter that area. I lived minutes from the port till the pandemic. I watched this quite daily!... Again: This crazy venture has effectively a long way to run... But incidentally not all things may be their fault...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

At least on the MSC yacht Club, the butler accompanies you and carry your luggage when you leave the ship. There are no butlers on Explora? 
Ivi

Only top suites named Residences on E have butler service.

9 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Only top suites named Residences on E have butler service.

yhat is true - i was in a penthouse only one attendant 

he had to do everything even cleaning the terrace and the windows outside 

he was very good and i said he must apply to another company starting with a C 😀

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, bitob said:

We also use Welcome Pickups -- all over the world

I second that recommendation.

In the London area we have always used BAtransfer

The big difference is that with BA transfer you have a choice of vehicle.  If you have a lot of luggage, which we always do LOL, you can choose the vehicle that will hold it all.  We sometimes do the transfer with friends so vehicle size is critical.  Welcome Pickups in some places contracts with taxi drivers (Rio comes to mind) and you could end up in a very small taxi.

I used welcome pick ups in Barcelona recently.

The driver messaged me when we landed to say where he would be and what he was wearing.

The problem came when the luggage took some time to arrive.

He kept messaging me to say hurry up,i said that we could when the luggage arrived.

We waited and he then sent a message saying that he was going to leave because he had another job.

I told him that we had paid for a service and that he should wait for us.

Finally our luggage arrived and in two minutes we were out.

I spotted him near the exit of the terminal and he took us to his vehicle.

He said that welcome pick ups give an hours waiting time after the plane lands and then they leave to take another job.

Apparently you lose the money and are left trying to get a taxi.

He drove like a lunatic and unusually it was pouring with rain in Barcelona.

I'm not going to use the service again surprisingly enough.

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Thanks 1