How’s the Pearl?

I see it hasn’t been refurbished since 2017. Does it look old?  I’m not too concerned about entertainment because it’s 9 days Athens to Greece and has a different port every day!  I think I will be exhausted after dinner!!  Speaking of dinner, how’s the food?  Does it have the pub with the good food?

Three NCL cruises, and they've all been on the Pearl.  We were on her last November for a Thanksgiving run to the Canal.  Food was great every place we ate.  The Great Outdoors is a nice place to sit during the day or evening and watch the water or coastline.  O'Sheehan's has great pub grub late into the night (might even be 24/7, but those nights are done for my old a$$).  We like the Pearl so much we're on her sister ship, the Jewel for our next Alaska trip in September.  The staff was amazing everywhere we went.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On board right now. Looking great in all areas. Food so far has been excellent - had dinner in Summer Palace and food and service were excellent. O’Sheehans is hopping. Stateroom is refreshed and has tons of storage, very impressed! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NengEuis said:

On board right now. Looking great in all areas. Food so far has been excellent - had dinner in Summer Palace and food and service were excellent. O’Sheehans is hopping. Stateroom is refreshed and has tons of storage, very impressed! 

Great to hear.  We'll be on her later this year.  Sailed her twice to AK years ago.  Both great experiences.  A nice OL and the great outdoors is fantastic.  Please let us know how the minor musical performers are if you can.  Quite often a great piano player, rock band or duo can really make my cruise. 😎

• Like 1

Sitting in the Spinnaker with a great jazz quartet right now. Very relaxed, lots of cozy window seats. This space is way better than HALs Crows Nest…just feels more open? The Pearl is still in great shape and I can see why you enjoyed sailing onboard her so much Chief. Beautiful “right sized” ship! 

Edited by NengEuis
  • Like 5

I was on the Pearl last October to Canada/New England. I loved the ship. It was the right size for me. The food was great. I enjoyed breakfast in the Great Outdoors every morning. There was a small buffet out there and plenty of seating away from the typical buffet crowds (although we could always get a seat in the buffet if we ate inside). The ship never felt crowded. Loved Spinnaker lounge and the views. The best was the ability to walk around the ship on the promenade. Great views. I would definitely sail on the Pearl again. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, georgemoe said:

Only sailed once back in February on a Sixthman cruise. She did not seem old at all. Loved O'Sheehans. Have two more Sixthman cruises booked on her next year. Have fun!

We loved O'Sheehans when we were on the Getaway!

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I love the Jewel Class and I am prepared to love the Pearl. Reports seem to show it has been well maintained but was it really refurbished in 2021? Almost all sources list 2017. Did it go in for new paint and carpets during the pandemic, something like that? Just curious 

• Like 1

2 or 3 NCL cruises have been on the Pearl.  First was in 2016 to Alaska (you can read my trip report in my signature below) and again in 2022 on the BOS-Bermuda cruise. 

I can't really compare cabins as for Alaska we had a 2br family suite and for Bermuda (post refurb) we had a Club Balcony.  But did notice that the cabins now have USB outlets near the bed so it makes charging things easier.  

It's a great size ship, easy to navigate, and as others have said does not seem dated.

I would not hesitate sailing on her again. I looked at booking the BOS-Bermuda cruise on the Pearl again this past April but ended up doing the Epic from SJU-NYC repo cruise. It was cheaper to do the Epic even with flying to SJU and a night in a hotel.  With the Epic we also got us an extra night and 5 ports with 2 sea days.  Even after the flights and hotel the savings also helped to pay for our ShoreEX while on the cruise. 

Enjoy the Pearl. 

• Like 3

We were on the Pearl, but before refurbishment.

What we liked most is the size of the pool deck. No kids pool, no special kids area, no water slides and all the other things that took away all the space. It did not feel crowded.

Just the right size.

• Like 3