Attire on Christmas/New Year Cruises

charliedalrymple

So, I know that formal attire is not what it once was, and I don't want to re-open that can of worms.  However, we are booked on a New Zealand cruise for December 2023 that includes Christmas and New Year.  Do people tend to dress up more than usual on those holidays and/or bring other holiday-themed attire?  Are there "ugly sweater" days?

Edited by charliedalrymple

We were rather surprised on our Christmas/New Year cruise to Hawaii this last year…nothing special on board and very informal on formal nights (actually happy it wasn’t stiff and stuffy wardrobe), but thought there would be something to recognize those 2 holidays. 

• Like 1

I've been on 3 Christmas cruises.  The festiveness of the events depends on and is within the purview of the cruise director.  Only once did I experience an ugly sweater event on a cruise to Hawaii.  It's probably because the weather was cold enough to warrant wearing sweaters.  No one really dressed formally unless a formal night fell on Christmas.  Having said all of this, while the ship is decked out in Christmas decor, not all passengers celebrate that holiday.

• Like 1

It almost seems to be a trend that those who can drive to the port dress up more than some that fly (and have to haul formal gear). So it may depend on how many locals vs those who fly.

• Like 1

I think most cruise lines decorate the ship, but do little in the way of activities, at least that's been my experience on Princess and Celebrity.  If you want Christmas festivities, go on P&O or Cunard.  P&O does traditional British.  Caroling officers strolling the ship, holiday dinners both Christmas Eve and Christmas, visit from Father Christmas with tables of food goodies (mince pies were amazing), a pantomime, church services (mass for passengers and crew, and the Captain led a service of readings from the gospels and carols that I think is Anglican tradition), ugly sweaters, the whole works.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I think most cruise lines decorate the ship, but do little in the way of activities, at least that's been my experience on Princess and Celebrity.  If you want Christmas festivities, go on P&O or Cunard.  P&O does traditional British.  Caroling officers strolling the ship, holiday dinners both Christmas Eve and Christmas, visit from Father Christmas with tables of food goodies (mince pies were amazing), a pantomime, church services (mass for passengers and crew, and the Captain led a service of readings from the gospels and carols that I think is Anglican tradition), ugly sweaters, the whole works.

I have had Princess Christmas activities. We did snowman decorating contests in teams, Christmas caroling, decorating Christmas cookies, Santa came and gave gifts to all kids, Captain reading Twas the Night before Christmas to the kids, Christmas meal on Christmas Day (once we had both Christmas Day and Eve), Christmas show in the Theatre, etc.... The crew creates Christmas villages for the atrium.

A long time ago they did Christmas crackers but not on the last Christmas cruise I have been on.

I think I have sailed 4x over Christmas on Princess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

Now that sounds fun!  We won't be flying to the port, so we can bring a pretty broad range of wardrobe options.  One thing I love about cruising over the holidays is that it frees us from the responsibility of hosting anyone.  This could become a trend.

59 minutes ago, Coral said:

Captain reading Twas the Night before Christmas to the kids

I just got a picture in my head of Captain Bye-Bye doing the reading and I think it would have been entertaining for the adults as well.  No doubt, he would have riffed off the story line for some of his own humor.

We were on the Discovery to Mexico this New Years (2023) and the NY Eve crowd was dressed the most formal I've seen on a cruise ship in years and years. I was surprised. I'd say 70% was super formal and 15% were somewhat formal and then the rest in non formal, regular dinner attire (us included).

I'm talking lots of tuxedos and gowns!

• Like 1

During the day, it’s normal attire. On formal nights, yes, people tend to be more into dressing up because of Christmas and New Year’s. On Christmas day, you’ll see lots of festive clothing, but it’s mainly casual like Christmas themed sweaters and dresses and shirts and pajamas and the string light necklaces and headbands and Santa hats. It’s very fun.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

During the day, it’s normal attire. On formal nights, yes, people tend to be more into dressing up because of Christmas and New Year’s. On Christmas day, you’ll see lots of festive clothing, but it’s mainly casual like Christmas themed sweaters and dresses and shirts and pajamas and the string light necklaces and headbands and Santa hats. It’s very fun.

That really does sound fun and is what I was hoping for!

• Like 1