HAL airport transfer question

SunnyNy

Is it possible to take the ship transfer from Rotterdam port to Schipol without actually having a flight?  And for anyone familiar with Schipol, are there taxi stands at Departures as well as Arrivals?

Thanks

Thanks, everyone,  HAL will want flight details to assign transfer time, but I think I can find a workaround for that 🙂

Terrydtx, do you have a particular transport company you'd recommend? 

HAL only has passing interest in what you do after getting off the ship- their interest here, if any,  is pure market research: is there another service we can provide cheaply and charge alot for?

15 minutes ago, SunnyNy said:

Thanks, everyone,  HAL will want flight details to assign transfer time, but I think I can find a workaround for that 🙂

Terrydtx, do you have a particular transport company you'd recommend? 

We are using Welcome Pickups for our transfers to and from Amsterdam in September. They were highly recommended by CC members. We are also using them for our Athens and Santorini transfers in September. We never use a cruise lines transfer services, often in a big coach, have to wait until full and they can cost more than a private car or minivan for 2-4 people.

Welcome - Making travel easy, friendly, personal (welcomepickups.com)

Here is a link to another recommended private transfer company:

Private Transfers Schiphol | Private Transfers Amsterdam (viptravelservices.com)

Edited by terrydtx

HAL on board often offers an airport transfer available for any independent passenger to purchase, as outlined in disembarkation paperwork a few days before the end of the cruise. You fill out a form and turn it in to the front desk.

It’s a convenience. However, the cost is per person and we’ve found that it may be cheaper for two or more travelers to just hop in a cab.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SunnyNy said:

Is it possible to take the ship transfer from Rotterdam port to Schipol without actually having a flight?  And for anyone familiar with Schipol, are there taxi stands at Departures as well as Arrivals?

Thanks

The official taxi stand is at Arrivals only.  However if you book a car service or private car, then it will meet you at the departure level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SunnyNy said:

Thanks, everyone,  HAL will want flight details to assign transfer time, but I think I can find a workaround for that

Here is a handy Schiphol Airport Map showing where to pick up a taxi. 

We’ve used the HAL airport transfer when our flight has been another day.  You don’t have to make up a workaround.  Just put your regular details in and they’ll put you on a coach which leaves later than the early ones.

58 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

What exactly are you trying to accomplish and for how many people?  It may be more efficient and cost effective to book a car service directly from Rotterdam cruise terminal.

58 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

What exactly are you trying to accomplish and for how many people?  It may be more efficient and cost effective to book a car service directly from Rotterdam cruise terminal.

I'm traveling solo.  Of course, booking a private car from the port to my hotel in Amsterdam would be ideal butt I'm finding it to be very expensive without sharing the cost.  This is a solution that I'm comfortable with and is flexible.  I plan to post on my roll call closer to my April departure to see of anyone's interested in sharing a private car.

50 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Here is a handy Schiphol Airport Map showing where to pick up a taxi. 

We’ve used the HAL airport transfer when our flight has been another day.  You don’t have to make up a workaround.  Just put your regular details in and they’ll put you on a coach which leaves later than the early ones.

Thank you, this is helpful

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SunnyNy said:

Thanks

We do it ALL THE TIME as we are non revs and have no confirmed flights...just standing by.

• Thanks 1

As a fellow solo cruiser, I think you have a great solution. No excess schlepping of luggage, and less expensive than hiring a private car. If you can get a later transfer you won't get to your hotel too early to check in, either. 

I use a HAL bus most of the time, but I also fly out the day of disembarkation. I have found only two ports where it costs less to use a taxi. 

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

use a HAL bus most of the time, but I also fly out the day of disembarkation. I have found only two ports where it costs less to use a taxi. 

Agree.  We compared the cost of a HAL transfer vs private transfer in Trieste and, for the two of us, it was still cheaper to use the HAL transfer.  YMMV

• Thanks 1

We were just in Amsterdam last month after a cruise. We used Uber from the port to our city center hotel. I think it was $18.  Oops, I goofed. This is from Amsterdam, not Rotterdam. Sorry. Uber from Amsterdam to Schiphol was $33.

Edited by SusieKIslandGirl
wrong information