LIVE from Equinox (June 24, 2023), sailing on a budget

AbbyCruiser45

19 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

Just as a thought for something to do on Bonaire is rent a golf cart and drive it around the Island. This is something we plan on doing when we get to Bonaire. It is around $100 per person for the day. If you google it or search it on YouTube you will find it easily. It’s very popular. 

We did that last month it was $100 per cart not per person.  Only 2 person carts.

We're doing this EQ itinerary in September so it will be fun to follow along on your journey.  Many congrats on your academic achievements!! 👩‍🎓🧑‍🎓

P.S.  Sorry for volunteering you to order and photograph the infamous MDR double cheeseburger!  🤣

13 minutes ago, abritinva said:

Sorry to hijack this thread (very interesting BTW) but could you store a rollator/Walker on one of these carts?. Would need that to explore if/when we stop.

Thanks

Pic taken from their website...they have a bit of storage in the back and depending on the size of the walker (and assuming that it folds) it could work with some bungee cords.

image.png.65228d4f8cfb6ad57ad58e181606677b.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Quick update! Bags dropped to porter to drink in hand in an hour…French Caribbean of course! More to come later 🙂 IMG_1201.thumb.jpeg.2f6feed254521c00fc1aad229cebcbf7.jpeg

Will be watching your sail-away on the web cam ! Have fun ! 

We’ve had a super smooth embarkation day! We got to the port at 11:40 and dropped our luggage off with the porters with a “please get my luggage on board” tip. There was a long line out of the door but it moved at a decent pace and we weren’t in the sun for long. I think it took about 20 minutes to get through security and check in. It was another 20 waiting in a seat to board, but it flew by. We went straight to the room and our key was there! Our last trip and Kaleb’s last two, the key was not there, so we were thrilled to not have to go to guest services. 

The stateroom is great. I think it’s in good shape so far. The balcony and view will be nice. My only complaint is that there is just not enough storage. Edge class seems to be swimming in storage and the Equinox, at least in the inside and balcony, could use more drawers. I like to be organized!

IMG_1194.thumb.jpeg.efcfddc689a24931dc964b9800e6a920.jpeg
IMG_1199.thumb.jpeg.9796dbfb19914007cd83acce95a96311.jpeg
IMG_1198.thumb.jpeg.cd12ccebf0b1342476741c543bf7251b.jpeg

After checking out the room, we popped down to our muster and then to the buffet! This ship is crowded. I don’t have to ask to know it’s sailing at capacity! What’s interesting is that it seems like it’s a lot of families and big groups traveling together. Hopefully the big groups start dispersing a little because they’re all sticking together for now and descending on the bars together! We haven’t had a hard time getting a drink at all. 

IMG_1202.thumb.jpeg.a5dafd00adf9a4b7b4c4114c64d0b804.jpeg

For the rest of the day, we’ll unpack when the luggage gets here, watch sail away with a glass of bubbly (per my tradition) and then go to Tuscan for a first night dinner! 

IMG_1196.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Quick update! Bags dropped to porter to drink in hand in an hour…French Caribbean of course! More to come later 🙂 IMG_1201.thumb.jpeg.2f6feed254521c00fc1aad229cebcbf7.jpeg

Thanks for the tag along. We get on the Equinox as you are coming off.  I was on Equinox for a transatlantic, but that was 12 years ago. I love the S class.  Will be watching sale away

Kevin

3 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Looking forward to your reviews while on the ship, we are on board in September.  Did you discover the storage above the bed?

Yes! I prefer drawers, but we’re putting some bulkier things up there that don’t need to be hung. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Also I am connected to the basic package and it seems to be doing fine…fingers crossed that holds! Picture included just to test it out, my previous post was on cellular. 
IMG_1200.thumb.jpeg.2ce7d10c670d807dcb5ffdb85d142c20.jpeg

Got picture Thanks!! 👌🏽

6 hours ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Because we were just planning on taking a taxi and don’t have anything solid on the schedule, we’ll definitely try for this.

Bon voyage!  I hope you can get a cart from Bonaire Cruisers.  They are so great.  We got started really early and did the south loop.  We were back on board for lunch.  The time before this we just got off the ship without any plans in place.  We happened upon a lady just outside the port where all the tour vans were parked.  She was looking to fill her tour van.  We only had to share with one other couple.  She took us along the north loop and gave us a fantastic island tour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abritinva said:

Sorry to hijack this thread (very interesting BTW) but could you store a rollator/Walker on one of these carts?. Would need that to explore if/when we stop.

Thanks

Here's a quote from their website.  I don't have personal experience but it seems like it would be no problem:

Also this it a great solution for people with mobility problems or wheelchair users to get around the island. You can strap your wheel chair on the golf cart.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

There we are! My sail away spot for this ship is in front of the gym! I think I can make out Kaleb just barely because he’s tall and wearing white. 

If you think of it, can you see if they have non-alcoholic beer at any bars Other than O’Douls.

Great sail a way !!

Kevin

Dinner at Tuscan was excellent! I mentioned in one of my first or second posts that we had a terrible experience last year on the Equinox at Tuscan. The meal took forever and our entrees were served cold and kind of crusty, like the sauce had been sitting. We left before dessert. Today was the complete opposite of that! Our server, Joel, was fantastic. He was on top of everything, gave great recommendations, and the pace of the meal was perfect. 

We split most of the meal with the pork belly, calamari, crab cake, and burrata (not pictured) to start. I had the filet with a half order of the short rib pasta. We split the lobster rigatoni and Kaleb had the veal Marsala (not pictured) and the carbonara (he should have gotten the half order). 
IMG_1225.thumb.jpeg.39fb4afb8daa95036ca88140d2510b2b.jpeg

IMG_1226.thumb.jpeg.0803238747c70e95556ac76a1e9d9758.jpeg

IMG_1227.thumb.jpeg.ca74b524d72e60ecac0e785bb8626c48.jpeg

IMG_1228.thumb.jpeg.a374e79897c87e696a52e10e4d0ee048.jpeg

IMG_1229.thumb.jpeg.ddbdc6f064e6db0a43d45e1024f2445e.jpeg

For dessert, I had the limoncello cheesecake which was fantastic. Kaleb had the doughnuts with extra vanilla gelato. They also brought out the standard chocolate cake to celebrate our graduation. We blew out the candle together! It was such a nice, indulgent night. The perfect start to our cruise! 

IMG_1230.thumb.jpeg.9fabf6e33f1de686a9fec120a75edef0.jpeg

Also, when we got back to the room, there was a free (?) Effy necklace on the bed with our planner for the next day. Maybe this is a new promo? I’ve never gotten one before, or heard of this. Any thoughts?

IMG_1231.thumb.jpeg.7aea5261aa70e21d7493a24b2cda6706.jpeg

• Like 10

We send the cart rental in early May, plenty of room for my wife’ wheelchair. It’s a good idea for the Mobil person to go to the rental building(not a good sidewalk or road for a mobility device) to pick up the cart and drive it back, and revers when dropping off.

Hal

• Thanks 1