Onboard Vista

pinotlover

On board now, and will give a quick one.

In a PH 10045. The new layout of the room is very good. Moving the table 

and chairs from the front of the bed is great, as well as the separate table. Eliminating the walk in closet was a horrible idea. I could write a page on this.  The benches at the foot of the beds are hazardous for the toes. Metal legs on all four corners with no cushioning. One must walk completely out and around them. Something one might forget on that 2:00 stroll to the head in the dark!

🤬

Ship- Really beautiful with lots of improvements. The huge open GDR has been cut up into sections making it feel cozier and quieter. Same for the PG and Toscana. The new layout of the Vista Lounge is terrific. The tables and chairs in the Terrace are much better spaced providing plenty of room to get to any tables. Seems the RG got a lot noisier with the new layout however. The new Spa Terrace is wonderful.

Service- Awesome! After carefully cherry picking the crew, it is the crème de crème.

Food - Oceania inconsistent. Had some great meals and some very mediocre meals. Interesting on this cruise only, Toscana seems to be getting the best reviews and PG the worst. Embers a yawner. Aquamar always has room for any walk up. My wife enjoyed it more than me. RG is RG. 

Entertainment- the best of any cruise. Both production crew and outside entertainers have been excellent. Brenda Lee, The Brill Bldg, Frank Sinatra and Perry Como are all gone. Billy Joel, Adele, Whitney Houston, Queen all in. Maybe a little Streisand for the memories. 

New ship,and as expected, still plenty of bugs to work out. Most notably are the elevators. One, in the forward bank, has been out of service since we boarded and another has gone out there leaving 2 of 4. Then the more humorous couple! The new elevators have sensors, along with a very load alarm, that tell you the elevator is overloaded and passengers must get off. The sensors don’t always work well. Four little old ladies not weighing 100 lbs each might set it off, as well as to many heavy people. It has its own mind! 😂 However, it won’t restart until someone gets off and the sensors reset.

Most of the public spaces doors ( think bathrooms and Spa Terrace for instance) don’t have handles but have movement sensors to open them. Keeps you from touching doorknobs. One does an Obi Wan and waves their hand in front of the green light. Sometimes the doors don’t “ feel the force “ and all the Jedi hand waving is of no prevail. The door just won’t open. Then multiple Jedi try the hand waving trick and the door still may not open, or maybe it does. Some of those doors are just currently non operational.

Some cabins have reported non working TVs. There are on order to be delivered sometime.

I find most of this minor and these bugs will get worked out over the next few weeks/months. Not as confident about the Jedi doors however. Door handles may end up a far better option.

We were notified upon boarding that an hour each had been shaven of two ports. 

Repeaters Party tonight, will learn more.

I have done zero ship tours. Most of the actual complaints about this cruise revolve around Destination Services and the poorly ran tours.

For us, it’s been an overall very delightful cruise so far.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I was told that perhaps I was a bit inconsiderate to some about my elevator comments. Let me further explain:

On the Vista, the aft elevators (2 of them) only go from 6-14, They no longer do Deck 4 or 5. This means with 2 of the 4 elevators out in the forward section, for those unable to do stairs, long lines can develop when the tour buses come and go. Also those in the aft, requiring elevators, must go forward from Deck 6 to ride the elevators to 5 to go to the Vista Lounge.

Most of the ship exits have been from Deck 4 thus far, with only a couple ports using the Deck 5 exit doors.

We were on the Vista for the Trieste to Athens cruise and that one elevator was doing the same on that cruise regarding loud notice of an overload! One time it was just me and another person…and I am NOT that big!!! 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

We were on the Vista for the Trieste to Athens cruise and that one elevator was doing the same on that cruise regarding loud notice of an overload! One time it was just me and another person…and I am NOT that big!!! 

It truly has a mind of its own! 😂😂

Went off tonight after the show. All these people waiting for an elevator. Horn won’t stop until Everyone gets off. The elevator leaves empty then stopping at all the decks previously pushed! 😂😂

We walked.Deck 5 to 10 isn’t that far! 🤗 

Just a few bugs to be worked out! 🥂

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

It truly has a mind of its own! 😂😂

Went off tonight after the show. All these people waiting for an elevator. Horn won’t stop until Everyone gets off. The elevator leaves empty then stopping at all the decks previously pushed! 😂😂

We walked.Deck 5 to 10 isn’t that far! 🤗 

Just a few bugs to be worked out! 🥂

Also with regard to the aft elevators not going to 5. On Embarkation day I was using it and kept on pushing 5 and nothing happened. After a few attempts I stepped off and a crew member was there and asked about it and he said it does not go to 5. Of course I asked why does it allow me to see and push button 5.  Said that was for crew only??But the next day I was using the same elevator and they had the 5 button covered! So at least they listened. But overall it was an extremely pleasurable experience.  As noted a few bugs will take a bit,of time to fix, but all minor that I noticed. 

Read your post on pricey Rare wines and doubt many O regulars (including us) will order from this list - rather bring our own wine and pay corkage. We had booked this cruise onboard Vista but had to cancel. Will be watching the new itineraries for one similar in the future. Do wonder if you had any delays at the ports of Haifa and Ashdod with local authorities? Understand authorities may board the ship for a face-to-face with each passenger as was done in St. Petersburg? What do you have planned for Salerno (non O excursion)? Thanks.

OK, we are over a month into Vista sailings and almost miraculously, the complaints about the WiFi have gone to silence.  We were on the Founder’s Cruise and found the Starlink service to be quite good, in fact many times better than the existing level of service.  What do people think who have sailed Vista?  
We have not heard about roll out dates for the rest of the Oceania ships but if it is as good as we experienced on Vista, this is a MAJOR Win for everyone sailing on Oceania. Here’s hoping it is completed before the end of 2023. Anyone know about a Roll Out schedule? 

Enjoy it Vista cruisers. 
Mauibabes

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

OK, we are over a month into Vista sailings and almost miraculously, the complaints about the WiFi have gone to silence.  We were on the Founder’s Cruise and found the Starlink service to be quite good, in fact many times better than the existing level of service.  What do people think who have sailed Vista?  
We have not heard about roll out dates for the rest of the Oceania ships but if it is as good as we experienced on Vista, this is a MAJOR Win for everyone sailing on Oceania. Here’s hoping it is completed before the end of 2023. Anyone know about a Roll Out schedule? 

Enjoy it Vista cruisers. 
Mauibabes

We were on the Vista cruise following the founders cruise.  We had no issues at all with the internet. 

7 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Read your post on pricey Rare wines and doubt many O regulars (including us) will order from this list - rather bring our own wine and pay corkage. We had booked this cruise onboard Vista but had to cancel. Will be watching the new itineraries for one similar in the future. Do wonder if you had any delays at the ports of Haifa and Ashdod with local authorities? Understand authorities may board the ship for a face-to-face with each passenger as was done in St. Petersburg? What do you have planned for Salerno (non O excursion)? Thanks.

No problems at Haifa leaving the ship. We stayed in Jerusalem for two nights to eliminate the drives.

Here was the routine. Everyone went to the Lounge and got color coded ticket much like tendering. They’d call your color or number and go down to get on a port bus. You’d sit on the bus until it was released to drive up to the terminal for customs and immigration. The process was smooth and efficient but not rapid. Don’t plan a tour immediately upon docking.

Internet has been mostly very good aboard ship.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pinotlover said:

No problems at Haifa leaving the ship. We stayed in Jerusalem for two nights to eliminate the drives.

Here was the routine. Everyone went to the Lounge and got color coded ticket much like tendering. They’d call your color or number and go down to get on a port bus. You’d sit on the bus until it was released to drive up to the terminal for customs and immigration. The process was smooth and efficient but not rapid. Don’t plan a tour immediately upon docking.

Internet has been mostly very good aboard ship.

Thank you and have noted for a future port of call in Israel.

Do you recall where the port immigration in Haifa was located.  I am planning to try to take a train to Tel Aviv and trying to figure out where it is in relation to the train stations. Thanks

37 minutes ago, majmaj4 said:

Do you recall where the port immigration in Haifa was located.  I am planning to try to take a train to Tel Aviv and trying to figure out where it is in relation to the train stations. Thanks

In the cruise terminal.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, majmaj4 said:

If they are using the cruise terminal in the future (and that is a BIG if), the Haifa Merkaz Hashmona  station is next door and only a 5 minute walk.

The reason I say if, there have been several months (April, May and early June) due to increased security where it was closed and it was a zoo to get in and out.  However the port shuttle was dropping passengers at the railway station.  Leave plenty of time (in our case it was 1hour 15 minutes to clear and leave the port and one hour to return (the return was traffic)

As @pinotlover did the best way is to stay over night in Jerusalem and avoid a daily 4+hour RT to Haifa

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2023 at 9:12 AM, pinotlover said:

In a PH 10045. The new layout of the room is very good. Moving the table 

and chairs from the front of the bed is great, as well as the separate table. Eliminating the walk in closet was a horrible idea. I could write a page on this.  The benches at the foot of the beds are hazardous for the toes. Metal legs on all four corners with no cushioning. One must walk completely out and around them. Something one might forget on that 2:00 stroll to the head in the dark!

We moved the benches under the sideboard by the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question: is there a shoehorn in the cabin? Also, is there the large umbrella in the closet? These were standard before. Just checking.we will be on the Vista in August. Also, are the hairdryers the same and are they any good? Thank you.

46 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

Question: is there a shoehorn in the cabin? Also, is there the large umbrella in the closet? These were standard before. Just checking.we will be on the Vista in August. Also, are the hairdryers the same and are they any good? Thank you.

On our recent cruise on Vista in a Veranda Stateroom there was a long shoehorn in drawer with the hair dryer which seemed the same and worked fine and a large umbrella in the closet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pearl64 said:

Thank you EJL2023!

Welcome, I might add that the mirror over the desk also had a built in light the same as the one in the bathroom. Those that were traveling with me seemed to really appreciate that feature. Perhaps standard now with the retrofits with other ships, but not sure. 

4 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Welcome, I might add that the mirror over the desk also had a built in light the same as the one in the bathroom. Those that were traveling with me seemed to really appreciate that feature. Perhaps standard now with the retrofits with other ships, but not sure. 

I’m very happy about the addition of lighted mirrors!

• Like 1

Nice review, Pinot.  We are on Vista next April but did see a video about the PHs, and our reaction to seeing no walk-in closet was the same as yours.  Do you have any comments on the bathrooms, size of the shower, for instance, and possibly a foot rest?

Final notes to add.

Attended a birthday party in a PH on 11 on final day. The overhang over the veranda appears to have grown 4-5 feet compared to the O ships. Different people have different opinions on this as to good or bad, but it’s obvious.

Overall a very enjoyable cruise. Didn’t buy a FCC since we’ll wait until after 7/1 to know more about Simply More.

Having all private tours and never dealing with DS and the multiple issues of Oceania shore excursions helped immensely in increasing our overall experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pinot,

I’m pleased you enjoyed the new ship, as you do report things as you find them….both good and the not so good.

On that note, I recall you have previously reported some difficulty in finding wine waiters during some meal times; especially the Terrace.

How was that side of things this time ?

With ‘simply more’ having an all inclusive feature with beer & wine during lunch & dinner, it will be even more important that there are adequate staff to cater for what is likely to be a greater uptake of that service.

Edited by Tranquility Base