Successfully checked in-Can I save the boarding pass to my phone rather than print?

steve4031

This is getting real!!  Getting excited.  I got ready to print the boarding pass and for some reason, I cannot get it to print the entire boarding pass.  I assume there is a fix for this.  But it would be simpler to have it on my phone and just have them scan my phone.  I appreciate every ones help.  I have my tuxedo for the formal nights!!.  So I will not embarrass my GF.  

I answered my own question.  There is an option to fit the boarding pass document to letter size.  Once I selected the "fit to paper" option it worked.  Hope this helpful to others.  

• Like 3

I'm glad you resolved your issue with printing.

I'm not sure what happens in Brooklyn but in Southampton your boarding pass is stamped OK to board and Priority (if applicable) so you need a printed copy. 

• Like 4

To be honest, it is better to have a Hard Copy, ( as back-up)  far too many folk are holding the lines up 'Scrolling Back a Forth' at the check-in desks, and eventually when boarding.

A  Plea from a check-in agent (when on my last cruise in December)  "Please encourage people to present a hard copy at check-in",  Apparently a passenger checking -in for a P&O cruise misplaced her smart phone , either on the train or in the Taxi en route to the terminal .   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

To be honest, it is better to have a Hard Copy, ( as back-up)  far too many folk are holding the lines up 'Scrolling Back a Forth' at the check-in desks, and eventually when boarding.

A  Plea from a check-in agent (when on my last cruise in December)  "Please encourage people to present a hard copy at check-in",  Apparently a passenger checking -in for a P&O cruise misplaced her smart phone , either on the train or in the Taxi en route to the terminal .   

Great.  They are printed. I definitely don’t want to hold up the line. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lissie said:

In Barcelona I just presented my passport -  I had the boarding pass on  my phone but they didn't care - your ID is all they need 

That is in Barcelona, and an isolated incident . That wouldn't be the procedure in the UK ex Southampton or Brooklyn USA 

5 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

That is in Barcelona, and an isolated incident . That wouldn't be the procedure in the UK ex Southampton or Brooklyn USA 

Why not - they have computers there too? We printed boarding passes for SF too - but they didn't look at them. 

This past October, boarding in Brooklyn, the paper boarding pass was required - it acquired stamps and stickers before the final scan entering the ship.

I think folks arriving with just an electronic copy had a paper boarding pass printed out just after security. 

• Like 2

You need a paper copy in Southampton as they mark it with a stamp to prove entitlement to board. You wouldn’t even get through security let alone  on board. Also required for muster station to scan it. I personally wouldn’t bother not having a paper copy and would not want to waste time while one was printed at check in. 

• Like 3

To expand upon the process at Brooklyn, the staff who greet you as you enter the terminal will remind you to have your boarding pass and passport ready for inspection. The first queue at Brooklyn is to reach an agent who inspects your boarding pass and passport before you are allowed to proceed to the security scanners and then on to the check-in desks after the security screening.

Now I don't know what happens if you can't present a boarding pass (either paper or electronic). I suspect we would have heard stories here if folks were denied boarding for lack of being able to present a boarding pass. But I wouldn't want to test the process to find out what extra steps might be required at Brooklyn if you can't show a boarding pass.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Also required for muster station to scan it.

Our Cruise Cards were scanned at muster station last year. We didn't use our boarding cards for anything after we boarded.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, D&N said:

Our Cruise Cards were scanned at muster station last year. We didn't use our boarding cards for anything after we boarded.

Our cruise cards were in our fan outside our cabin and we collected them after registering at our muster station immediately we boarded.

• Like 3

@Victoria2

That was 29 May 2022.

It was of course our first Cunard trip on QM2. Likewise our cards were outside the cabin and we read our muster instructions there.

The same bar code is on the boarding card. I suppose we could have gone there first had we been in the know. In practice we were going directly to deck 12 with our bags, one of the very few times we used a lift.

2 minutes ago, D&N said:

@Victoria2

That was 29 May 2022.

It was of course our first Cunard trip on QM2. Likewise our cards were outside the cabin and we read our muster instructions there.

The same bar code is on the boarding card. I suppose we could have gone there first had we been in the know. In practice we were going directly to deck 12 with our bags, one of the very few times we used a lift.

No need to be in the know now. You'll be directed to check in with muster first. 🙂

edit

Well that was Victoria, last August and this May.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

Interesting discussion about registering at the muster stations. I had no idea either that they accepted boarding passes at the muster stations. Perhaps it's different procedures on different ships. My experience on QM2 has been the same as @D&N's. My assumption has been that Cunard wanted us to collect out keycards and watch the safety video on our stateroom TV before attending the muster station. That's the procedure we've followed on QM2 but that's apparently not necessary. I can tell you when we last boarded QM2 in May in Southampton with the first group of diamond guests, we noticed the staff weren't at attendance at the muster stations to register anyone until about half an hour after we boarded.

Edit to add: We were booked on separate back-to-back cruises in May, so it's possible my recollection about when staff were at attendance at the muster stations in Southampton might have been for the second half of our voyage when we were in-transit. Sorry, I can't say for sure at this point.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

I suppose this is a good example that we should never assume that safety policies are always the same. They may be updated when reviews dictate that a process could be carried out in a better way. Or they may be updated due to something like Covid.

We didn't receive any instruction, verbal or written, to check into muster station first.

We'll watch carefully for changes next time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, D&N said:

I suppose this is a good example that we should never assume that safety policies are always the same. They may be updated when reviews dictate that a process could be carried out in a better way. Or they may be updated due to something like Covid.

We didn't receive any instruction, verbal or written, to check into muster station first.

We'll watch carefully for changes next time.

Which is why I added the edit.🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

No need to be in the know now. You'll be directed to check in with muster first. 🙂

edit

Well that was Victoria, last August and this May.

I don’t even think it was universal in May. I’m almost certain we went to our cabin first.

Another subtle hint: take a real picture of yourself for self check in, not a picture of a picture like I did!  They’ll have to stop and take your picture for the ship. 
Not a huge delay but worthwhile knowing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, larryandregina said:

We are checked in but boarding pass shows up in “code”.  Unreadable.  Anyone else have this issue?

The boarding pass should be in Adobe Acrobat ".pdf" format. Does your platform have support for reading ".pdf" files?