With Apologies - Extra Tipping for us regular/lower class passengers

Dreamscaper

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Unless you have a drink plan. I can guarantee you that on our 8-10 drinks a day ran the included tip could not be very much

The 18% is baked in there.  However, we are not privy to how much of a PLUS fare of $60, PCL allocates to Crew Appreciation, MedallionNet and the beverages.  I think I would be safe to state that the full amount ($16 typically) for CA gets removed and allocated to the pool.  That leaves $44.  I would hazard a guess that they devalue the amount for MedallionNet, but I have no earthly idea.  Anyway, they could be backing out 18% from approximately $40 beverage package allocation.

If they were generous to the max, they would use the regular bar price for every beverage ordered by a Plus package holder and allocate the 18% to the pool.  In this case, they would be allocating a LOT to the pool for many guests and probably destroying any profit margin.

Perhaps, they expect regular drinkers to tip an extra dollar or two for the bar staff.  Otherwise, the bar staff are better off if guests didn't have a package.  But that is just wild speculation as we don't know the calculations and such (not our business).  But PCL will be donating a certain amount for each Plus and Premier package to the bar pool as well as the CA pool.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

I assume the service charges aren't applied to the Princess Plus portion of my cruise fare, but would be applied to things like specialty dining (I'll have to remember this when we go for our dinner at the Crown Grill) or other add ons. 

See Post #31.  There is a baked in SC for all SD guest fees.  There is bar gratuity baked into the Plus/Premier packages, but we customers have no idea what that might be.

• Like 1

There is no reason to feel obligated to tip extra if you have the princess plus.  Having said that, We will tip a little something extra if we are sitting at a bar for while and order a couple drinks or if our room steward does something over and above the normal (make bed and replace towels). I will also tip room service a couple dollars. Although this is my preference, some tip a lot more than I do and others do not. Either way you will get great service.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

It runs the gamut from the cheapskates who remove the automatic tips on their final night to those who throw money at every crew member who crosses their path.  The only extra money I spend (above the std included in the Plus package) is a little extra cash to bartenders and servers in bars. I like them to remember me and maybe a few bucks upfront helps with that.

I am not watching what other people are doing.  I would suggest that anyone who can tell you what “everyone else is doing” aren’t enjoying themselves on their cruise the way you’re supposed to.  Or possibly have a serious OCD issue.

Oh yes, I don't expect anyone to be watching like a hawk or anything.. just, what they may have noticed :)

• Like 1

Princess' description of how the tips are distributed is what makes me concerned. As stated "The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scene." I take this to mean that my waiter or room steward may get some of my gratuity as part of their salary and then some of it is diverted to a bonus pool that may or may not include the people who directly interact with me.

Seems like it would be better to build proper compensation and a bonus fund into the cruise fare instead of using gratuities to balance the books for those items. This same issue is what is leading to being asked to tip people in service industries in general who were not tipped before (like the guy who makes the food you pick up at a restaurant). It's a way for business owners to pay the staff less and leave it to patrons to bridge the gap between that amount and a reasonable wage. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

OP please don't put yourself down by referring to yourself as cattle class.  Honestly everyone who takes a mass market cruise is cattle class.  Do not tip out of guilt.  You are already tipping the suggested amount that is set up by the company to make everyone happy.   That's all you have to do.  You're done.  Worrying about what others do will drive you crazy.  You are on vacation.   Worry is not part of it.  Bon Voyage. 

Thank you.  I suppose what I meant by that was that perhaps the crew would expect extra tipping from the higher end cruisers that have deeper pockets but maybe not as much from the lower fare cruisers.  Right or wrong, not trying to spark a debate on who "should" and who "shouldn't"!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The 18% is baked in there.  However, we are not privy to how much of a PLUS fare of $60, PCL allocates to Crew Appreciation, MedallionNet and the beverages.  I think I would be safe to state that the full amount ($16 typically) for CA gets removed and allocated to the pool.  That leaves $44.  I would hazard a guess that they devalue the amount for MedallionNet, but I have no earthly idea.  Anyway, they could be backing out 18% from approximately $40 beverage package allocation.

If they were generous to the max, they would use the regular bar price for every beverage ordered by a Plus package holder and allocate the 18% to the pool.  In this case, they would be allocating a LOT to the pool for many guests and probably destroying any profit margin.

Perhaps, they expect regular drinkers to tip an extra dollar or two for the bar staff.  Otherwise, the bar staff are better off if guests didn't have a package.  But that is just wild speculation as we don't know the calculations and such (not our business).  But PCL will be donating a certain amount for each Plus and Premier package to the bar pool as well as the CA pool.

Good to know.  $16 per day does seem a bit low shared among everyone, so I'm glad to read that they do get an allocation from the Princess Plus packages as well :)

8 minutes ago, ravenjls said:

There is no reason to feel obligated to tip extra if you have the princess plus.  Having said that, We will tip a little something extra if we are sitting at a bar for while and order a couple drinks or if our room steward does something over and above the normal (make bed and replace towels). I will also tip room service a couple dollars. Although this is my preference, some tip a lot more than I do and others do not. Either way you will get great service.

That is pretty much what we plan on doing as well.  Thank you to everyone who's assured me there's no need or expectation to tip even more than what we had planned on :)

12 hours ago, mnocket said:

No you will not see people leaving tips on the table left and right.  For instance, I would estimate that when I'm sitting in a bar I only notice 5-10% of the patrons leave a tip.  A small minority. It's totally a personal choice.

Generally agree on @mnocket observations. On my cruise last week I saw less than 5% leaving any tip at bar or dining.

So, to OP: you will not stand out in any way if you choose not to tip.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

Princess' description of how the tips are distributed is what makes me concerned. As stated "The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scene." I take this to mean that my waiter or room steward may get some of my gratuity as part of their salary and then some of it is diverted to a bonus pool that may or may not include the people who directly interact with me.

Seems like it would be better to build proper compensation and a bonus fund into the cruise fare instead of using gratuities to balance the books for those items. This same issue is what is leading to being asked to tip people in service industries in general who were not tipped before (like the guy who makes the food you pick up at a restaurant). It's a way for business owners to pay the staff less and leave it to patrons to bridge the gap between that amount and a reasonable wage. 

This concerns me as well.  I'd like my tips to go to the people who actually provided me with great service, not to some pool where a slacker on a ship I've never been on gets just as much as my fantastic waiter or bartender.  Unfortunately I don't think there's anything we can do about that.

It's been suggested that we name our fantastic servers in the post-cruise survey, and I'll make sure to do so.  Hopefully the comments make them smile and maybe even earn them extra bonuses/promotions, that's probably the best thing we can do for them :)

• Like 2

Well here's another thought...

Does anyone know if the staff get to keep their extra cash tips, or if they're forced to pool them with other staff members?  I've heard of other places (non-cruiseline) where staff pool their tips.

Your first hunch/thought was correct. There is no expectations of tipping further if gratuities are included in the package. Having said that, we only tipped our cabin steward at the end of the cruise. Each cruise we were on we were extremely impressed with the service and interactions. In the end it's at your discretion. I think there is too much overthinking on tipping.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

Thank you.  I suppose what I meant by that was that perhaps the crew would expect extra tipping from the higher end cruisers that have deeper pockets but maybe not as much from the lower fare cruisers.  Right or wrong, not trying to spark a debate on who "should" and who "shouldn't"!

I don't think they have a right to expect anything.  How much money one has is no one's business.  I don't think they expect a tip beyond the daily gratuity.  But they do appreciate them. But I don't think they are  disappointed if they don't get extra. Also they type of room you book is not indicative of how much money you have.  Plenty of people with money cruise inside.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TN-Mountains said:

I didn't realize they weren't part of the tipping pool.   Where did you learn this? 

Always been this way, as far as I can remember.  

Except, if your room service delivery is from the bar, then they add 18% gratuity to the bill.  Unless, you have the beverage package, then the 18% is already Included.

Basically, this is for room service for meals or snacks we order. 

Edited by PacnGoNow

5 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

I don't think they have a right to expect anything.  How much money one has is no one's business.  I don't think they expect a tip beyond the daily gratuity.  But they do appreciate them. But I don't think they are  disappointed if they don't get extra. Also they type of room you book is not indicative of how much money you have.  Plenty of people with money cruise inside.   

I apologize.  I meant those who book the more expensive cabins may tend to spend more (including on extra tipping) than those who book lower category.  Of course this doesn't apply to everyone and those who book higher category shouldn't be expected to tip more or more often, but I would guess that it happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreamscaper said:

Well here's another thought...

Does anyone know if the staff get to keep their extra cash tips, or if they're forced to pool them with other staff members?  I've heard of other places (non-cruiseline) where staff pool their tips.

This question comes up frequently on the board. Best post I read on that said, in a nutshell, that at one time Princess collected cash tips for the pool, but no they longer do that.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreamscaper said:

been suggested that we name our fantastic servers in the post-cruise survey, and I'll make sure to do so.  Hopefully the comments make them smile and maybe even earn them extra bonuses/promotions, that's probably the best thing we can do for them 🙂

To carry this a bit further, we have written letters of commendation to the corporate office many times.  This has definitely helped crew members with promotions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

This question comes up frequently on the board. Best post I read on that said, in a nutshell, that at one time Princess collected cash tips for the pool, but no they longer do that.

thank you!  good to know :)

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

You are already automagically charged an 18% gratuity on every drink you order...

An 18% gratuity is charged to your on board account  even if you have one of the packages (plus or premium)?  

After years of tipping extra (remember white envelopes?) I did not tip any extra on my last 3 cruises. Felt strange in April but normal by the end of June. 

I'm burnt out by everyone asking for extras. In fact I'm even cutting back on tipping at home. Just raise their wages and bill me if $18.07 minimum wage isn't enough. 

(Now you can flame me 🔥 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, smelmel said:

An 18% gratuity is charged to your on board account  even if you have one of the packages (plus or premium)?  

No, the gratuity is included in the Plus or Premium packages.  No need to tip twice.

3 minutes ago, smelmel said:

No, some flat amount from your package goes to gratuities per day.  It's not disclosed what it is, though. 

With the old drink packages it was obvious, 18% of 59.99, which resulted in your package actually costing $70.79/day, so you knew exactly $10.80 went to the gratuity pool.  This happened regardless of how many drinks you actually consumed, whether zero or the 15 max - same gratuity. From the staff perspective, if this was priced properly, they did better on some guests and worse on others but it probably averaged out to a reasonable amount across all package users.   $10.80 of tips on 15 drinks is pretty skimpy but it's pretty good on 5...I'd imagine it averaged out OK for them over the long haul.

The same is true now in terms of some portion of your daily package price going to gratuities I'm sure but we don't know what the amount is like we did before.  Probably safe to assume it's a similar dollar amount, but we don't know...the package is a lot cheaper and covers a lot more than just the beverages, so it's tough to say if or how much the gratuities got reduced from the original beverage package.