Can they do this: Lower cruise fare but raise taxes and fees?

Did a mock-booking last week and another today and cruise fares for 1&2 went down (3 & 4 stayed same) but 'taxes and fees' for all raised?  I thought taxes and fees were CONNECTED to the the fare and location and the port locations have not changed?

We’ve occasionally had the taxes/fees go down from the time we booked  to the time we sailed. Occasionally we would get some odd amount of onboard credit (usually less than $5), and when we inquired at guest services, they always tell me it was a decrease in the fees/ taxes. 
m

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We’ve occasionally had the taxes/fees go down from the time we booked  to the time we sailed. Occasionally we would get some odd amount of onboard credit (usually less than $5), and when we inquired at guest services, they always tell me it was a decrease in the fees/ taxes. 
m

And mine went down quite a bit and I got nothing back. I even wrote to mbayley and was told its up to the ship if they decide to refund it's not a policy by rcl. Just saying they can but often do not.

I had grand Cayman and jamaica booked twice, and grand cayman didnt open to cruising last year until later last year. Changed to costa maya and roatan which have lower port fees and taxes. Got nothing twice and it was a significant drop. And we missed costa maya on top of dropped precruise ..got nothing. Mbayley office said if port fees go up they dont charge the extra, same way if they drop we dont automatically refund.

Carnival btw always gives back the port fees if they drop or you miss the port. That's why I was so surprised rcl doesnt have this policy. 

10 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

wow...i am learning something new every day.  My TA enlightened me as well as her booked number did NIOT have the fees/taxes go up?

One more benefit of dealing with a TA

Typically, if you're doing a mock booking to check for price drops, you keep your original taxes, even if current taxes are lower or higher, so always just look at the room price and then add your booked fees/taxes to get actual cost to compare.  My upcoming cruise has lower fees right now than when I booked but I can't get those.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

wow...i am learning something new every day.  My TA enlightened me as well as her booked number did NIOT have the fees/taxes go up?

One more benefit of dealing with a TA

It depends on what rate the TA is booking you under.  If they are booking you into a group rate those taxes are locked in.

1 hour ago, Happytime22 said:

Did a mock-booking last week and another today and cruise fares for 1&2 went down (3 & 4 stayed same) but 'taxes and fees' for all raised?  I thought taxes and fees were CONNECTED to the the fare and location and the port locations have not changed?

When is your cruise?  The Bahamas are making a significant raise to their port fees for cruises starting Jan 1st. This could be the difference. 

Once you book the tax and fees stay the same

Taxes are each individual country, not the USA.  It is not a fixed percentage either.  It is entirely controlled by the country.  

Fees are docking fees per passenger.  Again, this can change based on the country that is creating the fees.  

If the ship collects in excess of the fees they are charged you might get an OBC for it.  It might only be a dollar or two.  

You are assuming that taxes are a fixed percent so when the trip goes down, the tax goes down.  This is not that kind of tax.  

Best thing to do, is not look at it since you can't control it.

33 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Typically, if you're doing a mock booking to check for price drops, you keep your original taxes, even if current taxes are lower or higher, so always just look at the room price and then add your booked fees/taxes to get actual cost to compare.  My upcoming cruise has lower fees right now than when I booked but I can't get those.

I am always checking for price drops but don't you have to go through the process (select type of room and actual room) to see the drop and then at that time look at the detailed charges?  Honestly I am totally interested in the 'net out of pocket' for a cruise but didn't realize how are the different sub charges can change and be 'played with' when coming up with the final NET cost  

14 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

I am always checking for price drops but don't you have to go through the process (select type of room and actual room) to see the drop and then at that time look at the detailed charges?  Honestly I am totally interested in the 'net out of pocket' for a cruise but didn't realize how are the different sub charges can change and be 'played with' when coming up with the final NET cost  

Yep, I've gotten so used to just clicking through a few screens to get the price, and since I booked, it's ONLY been going up, but since final payment is next week I'm going to keep checking in case, then just hoping I can score an upgrade even if I have to pay for it!

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

m

This happened to me earlier this month when I was on Carnival Celebration. Everyone in our group had some odd number between $5 - $10 of onboard credit due to a tax/fee change from one of the ports.

38 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

uh-oh!  Yes it goes to the Bahamas we have a cruise scheduled for January and another in March. We are fully reserved and fully deposited. I am wondering how this will be handled. Will RCCL ask for additional fees. Or will we be grandfathered in?