"Live" Emerald Princess, 16-Day Hawaii, July 6th to July 22nd

LACruiser88

10 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Tonight our neighbors table disappeared.  Maybe it was a short precautionary quarantine or they were moved???

We'll see what happens mañana...

I just spoke to our room steward re: our neighbors.  He said they are no longer in quarantine.  That it was precautionary only.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

I don't know?  This is something we have never done.  I'll ask around with some of our cruise buddies onboard.

Oh…your granddaughter would love this!

I’ve had tea and scones with my little ones at home and they love it!  They want to have it now on the ship.

We do the elite tea in the room on sea days at 330p.  They’ve had it on all the ships we’ve been on in the last year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

Thank you so much for the kind words!  It is very different for us cruising with our granddaughter.  She is such a mature young lady and makes us view the cruise from a different perspective.

A couple days ago, she participated in a kids cake decorating class in the galley.  The cake was really nicely done with a custard filing and topped wth fresh fruit.  The kids assembled the entire cake.  We have had the cake for desert the past two nights in the MDR.

I'll try to get our daughter to post a photo of the cake.  They also let her keep the apron and chef's hat.

received_314207134367468.thumb.jpeg.56c5a54be63dd6c8e975968effc92ae2.jpeg

received_250092734437515.thumb.png.580cd649ec86b8937145e4b03ba72e4f.png

Oh my gosh, my daughter absolutely loves to bake. This is darling! Do you know if this activity was especially for this cruise? If you don’t mind my asking, was there an additional cost?

Has she visited the kids club? It’s something I haven’t come up with much information on during my Google searches other than the age groupings. 

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Thank you so much for the kind words!  It is very different for us cruising with our granddaughter.  She is such a mature young lady and makes us view the cruise from a different perspective.

A couple days ago, she participated in a kids cake decorating class in the galley.  The cake was really nicely done with a custard filing and topped wth fresh fruit.  The kids assembled the entire cake.  We have had the cake for desert the past two nights in the MDR.

I'll try to get our daughter to post a photo of the cake.  They also let her keep the apron and chef's hat.

So cute!!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 1:00 PM, phabric said:

I am cruising to Hawaii Sept 2024 on the Ruby from San Francisco.

I am looking at doing one of the Princess excursions in Honolulu - Polynesian Cultural Center Luau, There are 3 different excursions offered.

If you heard anybody taking one of the excursions, if you can find out how they enjoy it and which one they took.

We don’t want to do a private tour.

we did the Polynesian Cultural Center in March...they sold us a pkg with the luau but then switched to the buffet (which was very good food & a much more extensive menu than at the luau but not the luau experience...it is also much less expensive than the luau package but they did not lower our fare) the problem is by the time the excursion that left a half hour later than our noon scheduled departure got us there there was not enough time to experience even a fraction of what is available...the other problem was that our driver told us to leave the evening show (which was the best part) half way through so that we could get back to the ship (not to divert from this thread, but I did several posts with tons of photos of our excursion on my live from March)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, curlygirlygirl said:

I’m getting ready for a California coastal cruise on the Emerald. Have you been to the afternoon tea onboard recently? I haven’t cruised in over 10 years but remember it being a lovely experience. 

But I also know someone who cruised more recently and she said the tea was like a timeshare talk and you even had to choose a bag of tea from a caddy. 

Do you know if it is still served nicely and with all the fun sandwiches etc?

We tend to do the afternoon tea on most cruises. We've only cruised twice since the restart - Royal Princess last May and Ruby Princess last December - and afternoon tea was offered on both cruises. Tea was served along with a selection of sandwiches, pastries, and scones (with cream and jam). It seemed pretty much the same as it has always been. We have seen scones in the buffet a couple of times but we were just passing through on our way aft. I'm guessing that it may well be a regular occurrence if you visit the buffet during the "afternoon snack" time frame.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Love this so much!  So glad this opportunity is back!  Our kids did this back in 2018, and they had a huge setup in the Piazza for the kids, and they each were able to decorate their own cakes, which were delivered to our staterooms!  Like you, we were able to take home the certificate, chef's hat and apron as souvenirs from the experience. The aprons get a lot of use here at home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, curlygirlygirl said:

Oh my gosh, my daughter absolutely loves to bake. This is darling! Do you know if this activity was especially for this cruise? If you don’t mind my asking, was there an additional cost?

Has she visited the kids club? It’s something I haven’t come up with much information on during my Google searches other than the age groupings. 

The cake decorating was booked at the Kids Club for $10.  They were having two sessions during this voyage, 15 kids per session. 

It was held in the galley for the Michelangelo MDR.  They had to wear long pants, closed toed shoes and were provided latex gloves.  Parents were not allowed in the galley.

The photo does not do the cake justice and it was really tasty!

IMG_20230713_113252.thumb.jpg.2a87ea05cd642af6e967747ca7e09558.jpg

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Oh…your granddaughter would love this!

I’ve had tea and scones with my little ones at home and they love it!  They want to have it now on the ship.

We do the elite tea in the room on sea days at 330p.  They’ve had it on all the ships we’ve been on in the last year.  

We had the Elite tea once.

They delivered enough food for about 10 people!!!

🤣

1 hour ago, travelin.sisters said:

we did the Polynesian Cultural Center in March...they sold us a pkg with the luau but then switched to the buffet (which was very good food & a much more extensive menu than at the luau but not the luau experience...it is also much less expensive than the luau package but they did not lower our fare) the problem is by the time the excursion that left a half hour later than our noon scheduled departure got us there there was not enough time to experience even a fraction of what is available...the other problem was that our driver told us to leave the evening show (which was the best part) half way through so that we could get back to the ship (not to divert from this thread, but I did several posts with tons of photos of our excursion on my live from March)

Did you do this as an excursion form the ship?

I wonder if it's possible to just get a cab and go there on your own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We tend to do the afternoon tea on most cruises. We've only cruised twice since the restart - Royal Princess last May and Ruby Princess last December - and afternoon tea was offered on both cruises. Tea was served along with a selection of sandwiches, pastries, and scones (with cream and jam). It seemed pretty much the same as it has always been. We have seen scones in the buffet a couple of times but we were just passing through on our way aft. I'm guessing that it may well be a regular occurrence if you visit the buffet during the "afternoon snack" time frame.

Did you have to book ahead of time in the app? Do they take walk ups? I just looked and it says it is at capacity for every single date for our upcoming cruise. I had no idea this was how onboard activities were booked now. 

6 minutes ago, curlygirlygirl said:

Did you have to book ahead of time in the app? Do they take walk ups? I just looked and it says it is at capacity for every single date for our upcoming cruise. I had no idea this was how onboard activities were booked now. 

Not really.  It’s not a booking. That just Gives them an idea of attendance and you….a way to mark activities that your interested in.

You can go to any of these,  a lot

of people don’t show for every thing they mark.

It usually is in the midship MDR on sea days.  You’ll see it on the Journey View activity list and on the Patter.  

Edited by PacnGoNow

8 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Not really.  That just Gives them an idea of attendance and you….a way to mark activities that your interested in.

You can go to any of these,  a lot

of people don’t show for every thing they mark.

It usually is in the midship MDR on sea days.  You’ll see it on the Journey View activity list and on the Patter.  

What a relief, thank you! It’s the thing we’re looking forward to the most!

44 minutes ago, curlygirlygirl said:

Ignore that stupid listing of how many people are going. It means absolutely nothing. Just show up for tea and you will be accommodated. That listing is simply another idiotic idea by a marketing person.

• Like 2

Screenshot2023-07-134_24_20PM.png.c3215601195014931ec54293153d9316.png

Here's our group getting a first hand demonstration from the chef. They each had a cake to decorate after the how-to lesson. I believe they held this twice on the cruise, and 12 spots per session. We were offered the sign up in the kids club.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 4

If possible, please let me know how the tendering process goes in Lahaina tomorrow.  We are not priority and I wonder what time my family would realistically be able to get off the ship.  I am enjoying your review so far!  We will be doing 16 night Hawaiian in Crown Princess in December with two teens.  I know you said the cake decorating was for kids, do you know if it's also offered for the teen group to sign up.  Thanks!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, gt1701a said:

If possible, please let me know how the tendering process goes in Lahaina tomorrow.  We are not priority and I wonder what time my family would realistically be able to get off the ship.  I am enjoying your review so far!  We will be doing 16 night Hawaiian in Crown Princess in December with two teens.  I know you said the cake decorating was for kids, do you know if it's also offered for the teen group to sign up.  Thanks!

Are you doing the 12/22/23 cruise?  We'll be on that one as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chamima said:

We had the Elite tea once.

They delivered enough food for about 10 people!!!

🤣

We only order tea, scones with cream & jam for our Elite tea in the room.

3 hours ago, chamima said:

The Polynesian Cultural Center is on the opposite side of the island from the port. A long, slow drive; and only one road that gets you there. 

The bus system - "The Bus" - is cheap and a common form of transportation on the island. You'd have to figure out the schedule and stops and all.

Does anyone know the "real" hours for laundry?  I had a problem with the machines and was told the machines don't work until 8am, but the rooms are open before that.  I didn't want to put my clothes and tokens in just to have the machines not work.

11 hours ago, curlygirlygirl said:

Do you know if it is still served nicely and with all the fun sandwiches etc?

I went once and they served tea from a large tea pot, so no choice of flavors.  There were 2 trays of sweets and one tray of mini sandwiches circulating.  One type of scones (in my case, with raisins).  Clotted cream and jam came shortly after.  My spouse and one child went the next day and it was similar, but with a different selection of sweets.

We had a fun day today!  The five of us shared a taxi to Waikiki ($25).  The kids rented an umbrella and two lounge chairs on the beach next to the Moana Surfrider Hotel (in front of the Hula Grill).  It was $54 for three hours.  They had a great time swimming in the ocean.

I accompanied Debbie on a shopping safari!  She hit Duke's Marketplace, Ross, H&M, and Macy's.  For my reward for carrying all of the bags, we had lunch at the Paia Fish Market.  I highly recommend this casual restaurant.  We had seared ahi burgers and they were Fantastic! It is located behind the Waikiki Beach Comber Hotel.

We reunited in front of the Cheesecake Factory and shared a taxi back to the ship.

20230713_103856.thumb.jpg.44e9c85625e4227cb31ed6f59bf6c155.jpg

20230713_103902.thumb.jpg.0fb5888ef968481438187637964cb3b9.jpg

20230713_105712.thumb.jpg.d61ec5b731be5254844ae0394ac8459e.jpg

20230713_130008.thumb.jpg.6563530f6e5d6f5b380d2310dce877a2.jpg

20230713_111549.thumb.jpg.013f1c69056ba86b6a8414b6e9f18085.jpg

20230713_112328.thumb.jpg.a579eeb81a729c40410864a6676dfb34.jpg

20230713_123500.thumb.jpg.cc97e8ab1d0b0e25737daba8943d1fdc.jpg

20230713_123944.thumb.jpg.5f10b146e6ced0505d52ed8905386d7f.jpg

20230713_125806.thumb.jpg.69ecaca97b05d697c6034b11f21f1843.jpg

20230713_130203.thumb.jpg.72e1dccfbd56d883934c835eda9ab21c.jpg

• Like 12