"Live" Emerald Princess, 16-Day Hawaii, July 6th to July 22nd

LACruiser88

17 minutes ago, theloo said:

Does anyone know the "real" hours for laundry?  I had a problem with the machines and was told the machines don't work until 8am, but the rooms are open before that.  I didn't want to put my clothes and tokens in just to have the machines not work.

Debbie did some laundry yesterday and she was ready at 8 am but they didn't open until around 8:20.  No problems with the machines.

Btw, Elite laundry has been returning in less than 48 hours.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, WoodstockGirl said:

The Polynesian Cultural Center is on the opposite side of the island from the port. A long, slow drive; and only one road that gets you there. 

The bus system - "The Bus" - is cheap and a common form of transportation on the island. You'd have to figure out the schedule and stops and all.

Yes, the bus will get you from the ship to the PCC.  It's the return that is rather iffy (before the ship sets sail).  Nice ride out.  Also yes to only one road (Kamehameha Highway) out there.  I would never do this on my own (bus, car rental).  The "highway" is known for being shut down because of an accident.  Plus it is really dark on the way back.  

18 minutes ago, theloo said:

I went once and they served tea from a large tea pot, so no choice of flavors.  There were 2 trays of sweets and one tray of mini sandwiches circulating.  One type of scones (in my case, with raisins).  Clotted cream and jam came shortly after.  My spouse and one child went the next day and it was similar, but with a different selection of sweets.

You can ask for different tea flavors.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theloo said:

I went once and they served tea from a large tea pot, so no choice of flavors.  There were 2 trays of sweets and one tray of mini sandwiches circulating.  One type of scones (in my case, with raisins).  Clotted cream and jam came shortly after.  My spouse and one child went the next day and it was similar, but with a different selection of sweets.

Perfect! This is exactly what we were  hoping for. 

2 hours ago, theloo said:

Does anyone know the "real" hours for laundry?  I had a problem with the machines and was told the machines don't work until 8am, but the rooms are open before that.  I didn't want to put my clothes and tokens in just to have the machines not work.

The only time we've found the laundry rooms unavailable was in Glacier Bay. Otherwise we've never had an issue. Of course we tend to do the laundry in the middle of the day on a sea day... The only real issue we've had was on Royal Princess last fall. I tried 5 different decks and the token machines were out of order on all of them. I went to Customer Service and they didn't care at all. They said they would have someone get right on it but an hour later nobody had done squat. I finally decided to check again anyway and a woman in the laundry told me there was a machine that worked on (I forget which deck) so I went there and got tokens and we were able to do laundry. Some of the crew on that cruise were excellent as usual but a few were real turds. It was not at all what we are used to with Princess.

6 hours ago, chamima said:

Did you do this as an excursion form the ship?

I wonder if it's possible to just get a cab and go there on your own.

the issue is if your cruise is only in Honolulu for one day you have to be back to the ship in time to sail & the PCC is minimum 1 1/2 hours away but closer to 2 & might be longer if there is traffic or construction, also I don't know how easy it would be to get a taxi out in Laie, you could try taking the shuttle from the PCC & a taxi from the drop off point to the ship but it might be close or miss your sailing...we did a ship excursion because of the guarantee that the ship won't leave you (but then we ended up staying an extra day so it wasn't an issue)...it is a tough decision & you would need to do your research & decide what fits your personal risk tolerance & priorities (someone on another thread suggested that there might be other tour companies that would pick up at the pier & return you there so you could check that out too)...all the best & have a wonderful trip whatever you decide is best

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, the bus will get you from the ship to the PCC.  It's the return that is rather iffy (before the ship sets sail).  Nice ride out.  Also yes to only one road (Kamehameha Highway) out there.  I would never do this on my own (bus, car rental).  The "highway" is known for being shut down because of an accident.  Plus it is really dark on the way back.  

You can ask for different tea flavors.  

5 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

the issue is if your cruise is only in Honolulu for one day you have to be back to the ship in time to sail & the PCC is minimum 1 1/2 hours away but closer to 2 & might be longer if there is traffic or construction, also I don't know how easy it would be to get a taxi out in Laie, you could try taking the shuttle from the PCC & a taxi from the drop off point to the ship but it might be close or miss your sailing...we did a ship excursion because of the guarantee that the ship won't leave you (but then we ended up staying an extra day so it wasn't an issue)...it is a tough decision & you would need to do your research & decide what fits your personal risk tolerance & priorities (someone on another thread suggested that there might be other tour companies that would pick up at the pier & return you there so you could check that out too)...all the best & have a wonderful trip whatever you decide is best

We have no interest in the luau and would just be going for the day.

I don't love ship excursions because of the hurry-up-and-wait and overcrowded aspects but I'll look into private tour companies.

We've been to Honolulu multiple times and I was just looking for something we haven't done already.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, chamima said:

I don't love ship excursions because of the hurry-up-and-wait and overcrowded aspects but I'll look into private tour companies.

We've been to Honolulu multiple times and I was just looking for something we haven't done already.

IF you've been to Honolulu multiple times, and IF you've seen the wide spectrum of other things to see and do on Oahu besides a luau - then IMHO the PCC would be a pleasant diversion. I'm not sure what is being offered on this particular excursion - extra time on the grounds for exploring? - but the PCC is more than food and luau. It offers introduction to and (fully "real" - not "museum like) displays of many different island cultures of the South Pacific that you can stroll around and enjoy.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 10:44 AM, LACruiser88 said:

@chubbypiggy  The sauna/steam (The Enclave) is no longer free.  It is $299 pp for the entire voyage.

Hi @chubbypiggy, I believe your original query was regarding the steam and saunas that were in the changing rooms by the fitness center, not The Enclave which is on Royal class ships but I believe on the Emerald they have what is called the Thermal suite, which is a separate venue with heated stone beds and aromatherapy saunas in an area by the Spa, which you can purchase a cruise pass to have access to this venue.

The ‘free’ steam and saunas were removed when the Emerald Princess was last in dry dock last year. I believe the space was remodeled for accessible treatment rooms for the Spa, meaning for passengers needing extra space for possible mobility devices, not just ‘access’ to these treatment rooms.

The changing room still has larger showers in case you want to freshen up after a workout or use a shower that is larger with better water pressure than you might have in your particular cabin.

The sister ‘Grand Class’ ships being the Crown, Ruby, Caribbean, and Sapphire I believe still have the ‘free’ steam and sauna in the fitness center changing rooms. Not sure about the Diamond.

I was on the Crown in May,  so I can confirm the steam and sauna are still available in the fitness changing room. Was also on the Emerald last month, but already knew the steam and saunas were removed from the fitness center changing rooms from previous threads and friends confirming when they sailed on the Emerald this past February.

Hello to @LACruiser88, Debbie and Rafael, I will board on July 22 when you disembark and then board again for the  Hawaii sailing on August 5. I imagine we will be on the same ship again in the future. Did you pack any of your Panama hats for this sailing?

Just off the 14 day Sapphire Princess roundtrip Vancouver and future cruise had a 3 page list of select voyages till Spring of 2024 that are 50% off, must be booked on board to receive the discount. Check future cruise as I believe this promo is still in effect, but was told they do not know for how long. Restrictions are you cannot use a FCD or combinable with any TA ‘group’ OBC, but eligible for shareholders and or military if applicable. Also deposit is $100 non refundable , with final payment due at normal schedule.

As of end of June, solos can no longer receive shareholders and military if they qualified for both, but a couple in a cabin can each get one of these if they qualify so one getting military and the other getting shareholders, as 2 in a cabin are not always in a relationship/related or only one in cabin qualifies for military.

Really enjoyed your previous live from Buenos Aires to LA, fyi, all of the Sapphire South America sailings from December 1 to the March BA back to LA are on the 50% list. I can’t do the 34 day LA to BA or the 32 day BA back to LA in March, but did book both LA to Santiago for December 1, 2023 and the Santiago to LA , March 18, 2024.

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

The only time we've found the laundry rooms unavailable was in Glacier Bay. Otherwise we've never had an issue. Of course we tend to do the laundry in the middle of the day on a sea day... The only real issue we've had was on Royal Princess last fall. I tried 5 different decks and the token machines were out of order on all of them. I went to Customer Service and they didn't care at all. They said they would have someone get right on it but an hour later nobody had done squat. I finally decided to check again anyway and a woman in the laundry told me there was a machine that worked on (I forget which deck) so I went there and got tokens and we were able to do laundry. Some of the crew on that cruise were excellent as usual but a few were real turds. It was not at all what we are used to with Princess.

Pro Tip - if you "know" you are going to be doing washing/drying - get your tokens/detergent ahead of time to avoid that - and yes we take our own pods/sheets ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chamima said:

IF you just want to walk around the villages, then this is very doable by the city bus.  Senior bus rates went up slightly, but still the best bargain of the day.  Get an early start….it’s a really long bus ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/12/2023 at 6:39 PM, Teechur said:

According to medical professionals, sanitizers have no effect on viruses. They only work on bacteria. Hand washing is the only way to get viruses off of your hands.

With that said, I do the same thing because then it feels like I've done something😷

For information purposes, this is not quite correct.                                                                                While sanitizers don't work on norovirus because it is encased in a capsid,  sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol are effective on coronaviruses.                                                                       

Taken from New Jersey Covid-19 information hub: "If used properly, alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol is an effective way to kill the COVID-19 virus. Hand sanitizer is often faster and easier, however if you have the option, you should wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds. This is overall the most effective way to get rid of the coronavirus and other viruses."                     

https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/coronavirus-information/slowing-the-spread/is-hand-sanitizer-effective-against-the-virus

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wallyj said:

Hi @chubbypiggy, I believe your original query was regarding the steam and saunas that were in the changing rooms by the fitness center, not The Enclave which is on Royal class ships but I believe on the Emerald they have what is called the Thermal suite, which is a separate venue with heated stone beds and aromatherapy saunas in an area by the Spa, which you can purchase a cruise pass to have access to this venue.

The ‘free’ steam and saunas were removed when the Emerald Princess was last in dry dock last year. I believe the space was remodeled for accessible treatment rooms for the Spa, meaning for passengers needing extra space for possible mobility devices, not just ‘access’ to these treatment rooms.

The changing room still has larger showers in case you want to freshen up after a workout or use a shower that is larger with better water pressure than you might have in your particular cabin.

The sister ‘Grand Class’ ships being the Crown, Ruby, Caribbean, and Sapphire I believe still have the ‘free’ steam and sauna in the fitness center changing rooms. Not sure about the Diamond.

I was on the Crown in May,  so I can confirm the steam and sauna are still available in the fitness changing room. Was also on the Emerald last month, but already knew the steam and saunas were removed from the fitness center changing rooms from previous threads and friends confirming when they sailed on the Emerald this past February.

Yes, my original question was about the steam and sauna in the Fitness center. Thank you for the explanations.  

4 hours ago, wallyj said:

Did you pack any of your Panama hats for this sailing?

@wallyj  Aloha!  Yes, I packed one of my Montecristi Panama hats, won't leave home without one! 

We are going to book the 51 day, 12/01/24, LA to Ft Lauderdale, Discovery voyage.  It will be available to book for Elites on July 26th.  None of the 50% off cruises worked for us.

See you onboard soon!

17 hours ago, gt1701a said:

I know you said the cake decorating was for kids, do you know if it's also offered for the teen group to sign up.  Thanks!

@gt1701a   Our daughter said that she did not see any teens in our granddaughter's group.  She will try to ask at the Kids Club.

17 minutes ago, SaltwaterDaffy said:

I missed the show last night but I did these the girls getting pizza, sodas and ice cream. 

20230713_195327.jpg

We made it to the 8:45 show, it was really good.  Our granddaughter loved it!

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

@gt1701a   Our daughter said that she did not see any teens in our granddaughter's group.  She will try to ask at the Kids Club.

Thanks so much!  No worries, she doesn't have to ask at Kids Club.  I am sure we can find out when we sail in December.  We have never done a cruise with kids on Princess (we have sailed Carnival mainly with them), so just trying to get an idea of activities to tell them about.  But not a huge deal if they can't participate in cake making - it does look fun, though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lolane1 said:

For information purposes, this is not quite correct.                                                                                While sanitizers don't work on norovirus because it is encased in a capsid,  sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol are effective on coronaviruses.                                                                       

Taken from New Jersey Covid-19 information hub: "If used properly, alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol is an effective way to kill the COVID-19 virus. Hand sanitizer is often faster and easier, however if you have the option, you should wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds. This is overall the most effective way to get rid of the coronavirus and other viruses."                     

https://covid19.nj.gov/faqs/coronavirus-information/slowing-the-spread/is-hand-sanitizer-effective-against-the-virus

This is one case where I am more than happy to be wrong...😄 I just repeated what I've read.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theloo said:

Was on the first tender off the ship and am in the shade at Kaanapali Beach already!  🌴

Under the trees in front of the Sheraton at Black Rock? We were there yesterday, then had dinner at Duke's.

It's pretty awesome to live here. 😊

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

@wallyj  Aloha!  Yes, I packed one of my Montecristi Panama hats, won't leave home without one! 

We are going to book the 51 day, 12/01/24, LA to Ft Lauderdale, Discovery voyage.  It will be available to book for Elites on July 26th.  None of the 50% off cruises worked for us.

See you onboard soon!

Any idea about the 51 day cruise itinerary on the Majestic? Thanks for the heads up!

Doug

9 minutes ago, echoshipmate said:

Any idea about the 51 day cruise itinerary on the Majestic? Thanks for the heads up!

Doug

Here's the itinerary, no info on fares yet.  It is on the Majestic, on my previous post I said the Discovery, sorry...

Screenshot_20230714_094212_Firefox.thumb.jpg.ffee4c1a874863b2e87a8a23e2c59349.jpg

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 3