Alaska - Haven Cabin Preference

jkbec101

Looking at booking either the Encore or Bliss for Alaska in the Haven.

What is your preference?

Forward facing balcony

Rear facing balcony

Why is this your preference?  

I realize that the rear facing balcony cabins are outside of the Haven proper (that's a non-issue for us).  

We were on the Bliss in a rear facing Haven for Alaska last year. It was amazing. I had a very recent back injury so the walk to the Haven area in the front of the ship was pretty daunting- but the balcony and the views were great. The cabin was so spacious. We had a bar a couple decks below us as well as a bottle of wine, so without too much effort sitting on the deck with a cool drink (or coffee with a shot of baileys) and the yummy hors d’oeuvres went a long way toward easing my pain.

12 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Forward facing cabins, depending on balcony location, also tend to get more wind. You might not want that in Alaska.

For both Encore and Bliss, the only real forward-facing balconies are the Deluxe Owner's Suites. The other "forward-facing" Haven suites actually have the balcony on the side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

What is your preference?

Forward facing balcony

Rear facing balcony

I realize that the rear facing balcony cabins are outside of the Haven proper (that's a non-issue for us).  

Penthouse close to the Horizons Lounge. Starboard will have better views for the Dawes glacier day. And port better for glacier bay. Alaska is one of the cruise destinations where you want to be in the Haven with fast access to the horizons lounge and sundeck. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

For both Encore and Bliss, the only real forward-facing balconies are the Deluxe Owner's Suites. The other "forward-facing" Haven suites actually have the balcony on the side.

Yeah, I wasn't sure. That's why I said "depending". Thanks.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Penthouse close to the Horizons Lounge. Starboard will have better views for the Dawes glacier day. And port better for glacier bay. Alaska is one of the cruise destinations where you want to be in the Haven with fast access to the horizons lounge and sundeck. 

I second this!  Horizon Lounge is where it's at, and Courtyard = right there.

16 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

What is your preference?

Forward facing balcony

Rear facing balcony

Both ships have a Haven Observation lounge which is perfect for scenic viewing in Alaska.

Book either a  penthouse in the Haven proper or a Family 2bdr on deck 17.

Either will have a magnificent view from the Haven Observation lound.

Neither will have wind/cold issues since the Haven Observation lounge is fully enclosed.

Snacks are  usually available in the Haven Observation lounge.

Both are just steps from the Haven Bar.

Go to you tube and search for Harr Encore Haven Two Bedroom.  Harr has some excellent videos.

Biss and Encore are almost identical.

BTW, there are two observation lounges.  One is exclusive for Haven.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

What is your preference?

Forward facing balcony

Rear facing balcony 

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I don't have a real basis for comparison in terms of forward facing or aft facing. We indulged for our bucket list Alaska cruise in May on the Encore and got a courtyard penthouse. On glacier bay day, we spent time moving among the sundeck, the horizon lounge, and our balcony. The location worked really well for us in terms of ease of shifting locations. The views were truly majestic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Id want to be in the haven complex so would be looking at a courtyard penthouse.  Both sides are will have great views in Alaska.  I love the AFT too, but I need to be close to the haven.  On the Prima, the AFT is doable, but I still like the room layout of the regular haven penthouse.

We have the DOS on the Encore coming up in about 80 days… The few videos online look amazing, and we booked it for the crazy extended balcony which gives you the best of the front and the side of the ship.

I definitely plan on taking a lot of photos to post - we have been waiting two years to sail in this room on this itinerary in Alaska. We booked this particular room because of the reviews on cruise critic and the videos of a similar room for the Bliss that we saw on Harr travel’s YouTube channel. Apparently @Sthrngary has some DOS videos of the Joy as well on YouTube.

Listen… It’s the Haven. You have your private observation area in some of the best balconies on the entire ship. It’s a win win situation whatever you choose!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

You'll love it! Not great when sailing (probably north) because of wind, but we had hoped to book it for our Alaskan trip, but my brother dropped out and that changed the math. We had the port DOS on Bliss last year for a Mexican Riviera and there was more than enough room for 6 (3 adults, 3 kids) of us even with a Roll-away in the living room. (And don't discount the nice walk-in closet with a raised platform for an open suit-case. No more stuffing things under the bed...)