Phone call from Executive office on Redeployment of Beyond

bikerunner

Had a phone call today from the letter I had sent to the Executive office conveying my feelings on the Redeployment of the Beyond and screwing me over and offering no compensation in any sense.  

Just some background, I was on the TA on the Beyond on Apr 24.  The window for air had opened and had purchased my return flight from Rome.  We were meeting friends in Rome who had also purchased roundtrip air to meet us on the 6th of may when we disembark. Was also planning on celebrating my Birthday in Eden and had precooked the date on the beyond.  Vrbos booked Some tours pre booked etc.  Also my travel mate and I work together and we had to put in and get permission for both of us to be off for a month April 22 to May 20th.  Not easy, as our friends had to request the time in Rome off also etc.  We have no flexibility in moving because of various projects going on wiith our jobs.  

In general Celebrity will be doing nothing for loyal customers, Person mention ohhh you can go to ascent, different dates, shorter cruise, would have cost more and also I had an SV on Beyond not even comparable.  They gave the stock answers "will share this with management etc", In general they are doing nothing.  I love the shipboard experience and crew, but how corporate has dealt with this redeployment I am no longer going to consider Celebrity moving forward. See no reason to give RCG my money anymore.  I do have 2 future cruises with them booked but trying to find substitutions that work but will probably do my nov one as not blaming the shipboard staff but the other will be replaced as there are other options.  

My goal is to get banned from cruising with them as I have 2 friends who work for Condé Nast group as writers and also contacting other travel guides etc.  Dont really care at this point.  Moving the Beyond when itineraries were released 8 or so months ago and doing nothing at all for affected customers is about as bad customer service that can be done.  Sorry Rant over.  Just p/o with the call I had this morning with them

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

It is really unfortunate that this happened.  However, all items you listed are really not the responsibility of Celebrity to make you whole.  They were your choices to make those arrangements knowing that things can change with cruises.  You just gambled that everything would go as planned and it didn’t.  I’m sure all your writer friends and travel “guides” will have no impact on the future of the company.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

It is really unfortunate that this happened.  However, all items you listed are really not the responsibility of Celebrity to make you whole.  They were your choices to make those arrangements knowing that things can change with cruises.  You just gambled that everything would go as planned and it didn’t.  I’m sure all your writer friends and travel “guides” will have no impact on the future of the company.

It is more getting it out there that Celebrity does not care about impacted customers.  I am aware its my choices I made.  Trust me I see their side and the reasoning of the generating of the revenue that they willl gain in the long run.  But not even offering price protection, along with purchasing various items at good sale prices, premium pkg upgrade wifi upgrade etc, there's a reason I booked when the cruise was first released as most of the time this Is when the best rates are available.  In truth I would have been upset but okay if Celebrity had done the redeployment before air prices were released.  This situation just caused more headaches than should have occurred.  Do I feel that reaching out to the various travel sites etc will lead to anything, probably not but who knows.  I stay optimistic overall that a single person can have an affect on things.  

Edited by bikerunner
added context
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Maybe they don't have the "legal" requirement to "make you whole" but they absolutely should be obligated to bend over backwards to help. THEY made the change within booking windows and you should not bear the brunt of handling the fallout. 

We've had similar changes from cruise lines (including Celebrity) quite a few times and the response was always MUCH more customer friendly. Even when the changes were 1+ years out. 

You have every right to your response. 

• Like 32

2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Maybe they don't have the "legal" requirement to "make you whole" but they absolutely should be obligated to bend over backwards to help. THEY made the change within booking windows and you should not bear the brunt of handling the fallout. 

We've had similar changes from cruise lines (including Celebrity) quite a few times and the response was always MUCH more customer friendly. Even when the changes were 1+ years out. 

You have every right to your response. 

Agree, legally they have no obligation at all.  I know Im not only one affected etc. and others are also You nailed in saying they made the changes and in past have done much more, 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Moving the Beyond when itineraries were released 8 or so months ago and doing nothing at all for affected customers is about as bad customer service that can be done.  Sorry Rant over.

I agree wholeheartedly with your rant.

We were booked on Beyond on one of her Italy, Greece & Croatia cruises. To receive notice that the ship is being moved, we're being given 2 weeks to scramble and find an alternative (of which there is NOTHING comparable), and be advised there is literally NO price protection (when prices have skyrocketed since we booked), is just appalling!

That is horrible customer service.

I will only address the individual arrangements to say this... I absolutely believe there should be some understanding from Celebrity for those items, as well. You booked their cruise itinerary in good faith, expecting the ship to sail as published, by them. Now, if there had been other circumstances as to why it didn't or couldn't, that's a different story, of course.

But that's not the case here. Celebrity canceled the published itineraries only to redeploy the ship to the Caribbean, and is doing NOTHING for those affected.

Celebrity is showing a complete disregard for their customers.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Not offering at least a couple price protected similar sailings is where they are really "missing the boat".  Historically that's what they have done and what I think the customer should be able to expect in these cases. 

Yes these re-deployments happen but it's certainly not something you should be expected to plan for when making your travel plans.

• Like 9

European airlines have an obligation to ‘put right’ any delays or cancellations and I find it shocking about the way you have been treated.

I hope your writer friends take notice of your plight.

There’s a few heartbreaking stories out there about the effect this has had on people who have saved thousands for the trip of a lifetime only to have it dashed and no compensation given. 

Shoddy service.

Edited by swjumbo
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

European airlines have an obligation to ‘put right’ any delays or cancellations and I find it shocking about the way you have been treated.

I hope your writer friends take notice of your plight.

There’s a few heartbreaking stories out there about the effect this has had on people who have saved thousands for the trip of a lifetime only to have it dashed and no compensation given. 

Shoddy service.

Exactly this was going to be a special trip especially meeting friends over in time I understand many many others affected also.  Maybe focusing on myself as individually too much but we all have stories, but I know many others feel the same. The silent ones.  Speaking up and pushing this and making it well known overall to the general public needs to be done on how corporate treated its customers poorly.  As said who knows what will happen.  Shipboard great, corporate nope.   

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bikerunner said:

My goal is to get banned from cruising with them as I have 2 friends who work for Condé Nast group as writers and also contacting other travel guides etc.  Dont really care at this point.  Moving the Beyond when itineraries were released 8 or so months ago and doing nothing at all for affected customers is about as bad customer service that can be done.  Sorry Rant over.  Just p/o with the call I had this morning with them

I get that you are frustrated. I would be too. But they made a purposeful decision and are not going to pull back on it. IMO there is no point in blasting them with these emails. The decision is made. Either move on or spend your money elsewhere. I don't think Condé Nast is going to get involved in customer service matters but good luck in your efforts to get banned. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Agree, legally they have no obligation at all.  I know Im not only one affected etc. and others are also You nailed in saying they made the changes and in past have done much more, 

I agree with all you've said and with the frustration you're feeling. We, too, were caught up in this mess, having our Adriatic cruise cancelled. We had an SV booked at a great rate (nonj-refundable deposit), and had applied several FCC's to the booking. I was stunned when the gentleman on the phone said "Ill see if I can get the cancellation fees waived." You've got to be kidding me. It has been 4 days now, and I still haven't received any type of confirmation or refund (which I know can take some time). However, the reservation no longer appears on my Celebrity account. What a mess for everyone affected by this.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

I get that you are frustrated. I would be too. But they made a purposeful decision and are not going to pull back on it. IMO there is no point in blasting them with these emails. The decision is made. Either move on or spend your money elsewhere. I don't think Condé Nast is going to get involved in customer service matters but good luck in your efforts to get banned. 

Ohh I know.  Slim chance on things but sorry if anyway can get it out there in any way how this was dealt with would be good. My background is service industry related, hotel gm etc.  to me customer is most important.  They drive the product.  And customer has ultimate say in service industry.  In general it is what it is.  But I’m going to push it best I can.  I I’ll it get anywhere who knows.  

Edited by bikerunner
  • Like 2

Sorry but definitely do not agree that customers are just supposed to live with decisions that a big corporation makes, well,  just because...

I'm not affected by this but would be doing exactly what the OP is doing. 

Never have been in this position since every time we've been in this situation the cruise lines--Celebrity. Royal, Princess, Azamara, NCL and Oceania--have treated us like valued customers and worked to make it right. 

But I guess that since bookings and prices are booming,  they feel they can call the shots. Especially when some support what I consider a bit of hubris. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Sorry but definitely do not agree that customers are just supposed to live with decisions that a big corporation makes, well,  just because...

I'm not affected by this but would be doing exactly what the OP is doing. 

Never have been in this position since every time we've been in this situation the cruise lines--Celebrity. Royal, Princess, Azamara, NCL and Oceania--have treated us like valued customers and worked to make it right. 

But I guess that since bookings and prices are booming,  they feel they can call the shots. Especially when some support what I consider a bit of hubris. 

Makes sense.  There are many aspects to this.  Like I said I understand that the financial reasons on the move.  But I hope they alienated thousands of customers 

44 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

There are many aspects to this.  Like I said I understand that the financial reasons on the move.  But I hope they alienated thousands of customers 

The financial aspects are all well & good. I am not disputing the decision to have X go to CocoCay. I am not disputing sending Beyond to CocoCay. If you want to go to CocoCay as a pax of X, great, here is your chance to do so, especially on the beautiful Beyond. If you don't like it, for whatever reason, don't book those itineraries. It's that simple.

The burning sensation I feel is for them choosing to do so while disrupting So Many of their customer's plans. I cannot fathom the number, but 19 sailings (by my count) were canceled. Even at conservatively half-booked, that's in excess of 100k passengers. Sure, plenty scrambled and rebooked, others shrugged their shoulders and moved on...

But there has got to be a large number of customers feeling what we feel.

Why do that now! Why not wait and add CocoCay to the list of itineraries that have not yet been published? Finish what you have published, and have been offering for months...

We board Eclipse in 2 weeks. I am somewhat sick to my stomach thinking about this cruise now with the utter disdain I have for this company at this time. If I could pull my booking without it costing anything, I would do so in a heartbeat. But I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. I am not going to lose more over their repulsive decision. However, the chance of me visiting the future cruise desk on board (as we have done on almost every one of our previous 20 Celebrity cruises) is less than zero.

Sadly, I doubt the list of alienated customers will hurt them much, if at all.

Edited by BlackLion 213
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Celebrity shouldn't be trusted. They canceled thousands of bookings or push people into paying more for possibly less, and did so with a goal of making the same or more money (not technical reasons, or a force majeure event).  It's the hallmark of unfair, deceptive and abusive business practices.  They very well could do this again and again. 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, BlackLion 213 said:

The financial aspects are all well & good. I am not disputing the decision to have X go to CocoCay. I am not disputing sending Beyond to CocoCay. If you want to go to CocoCay as a pax of X, great, here is your chance to do so, especially on the beautiful Beyond. If you don't like it, for whatever reason, don't book those itineraries. It's that simple.

The burning sensation I feel is for them choosing to do so while disrupting So Many of their customer's plans. I cannot fathom the number, but 19 sailings (by my count) were canceled. Even at conservatively half-booked, that's in excess of 100k passengers. Sure, plenty scrambled and rebooked, others shrugged their shoulders and moved on...

But there has got to be a large number of customers feeling what we feel.

Why do that now! Why not wait and add CocoCay to the list of itineraries that have not yet been published? Finish what you have published, and have been offering for months...

We board Eclipse in 2 weeks. I am somewhat sick to my stomach thinking about this cruise now with the utter disdain I have for this company at this time. If I could pull my booking without it costing anything, I would do so in a heartbeat. But I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. I am not going to lose more over their repulsive decision. However, the chance of me visiting the future cruise desk on board (as we have done on almost every one of our previous 20 Celebrity cruises) is less than zero.

Sadly, I doubt the list of alienated customers will hurt them much, if at all.

This is the real story, not whatever the meaning of CocoCay is for the future of the brand.  The brand basically stands for crapping on thousands of customers. 

2 hours ago, MustBCruzn said:

I agree with all you've said and with the frustration you're feeling. We, too, were caught up in this mess, having our Adriatic cruise cancelled. We had an SV booked at a great rate (nonj-refundable deposit), and had applied several FCC's to the booking. I was stunned when the gentleman on the phone said "Ill see if I can get the cancellation fees waived." You've got to be kidding me. It has been 4 days now, and I still haven't received any type of confirmation or refund (which I know can take some time). However, the reservation no longer appears on my Celebrity account. What a mess for everyone affected by this.

I am definitely on your side on this , I always print a copy of my cruise statement the moment I get it, yes I know it’s old fashioned , but at least you have some documentation to back your claims..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Has anyone posted to the company's social media feeds or to spokesperson "Captain Kate" ?

Yup, to their social media!

ZERO response.

Captain Kate is not the person to be directing this to. While she has become quite the brand ambassador, her position is quite far and detached from having anything to do with this.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry Celebrity has decided to screw 10s of thousands of customers!

This is a horrible way to treat your customers. We are B2B on Summit the month of August, but those are the only X cruises we have booked at this time, our others are RCCL and Cunard. I will definitely remember this when I think of future bookings.

• Like 1

Absolutely highlight it with Captain Kate! And every other media platform available.

She’s happy to enjoy the limelight when things are good so she also needs to address the bad.

I’m not affected by these cruises directly but, as a loyal Celebrity cruiser with 3 cruises booked for the coming year, I am now looking to book elsewhere as this could happen to any of us.

• Like 4

I’m not affected by this but it’s making me wary of booking future cruises with X.

My grandad always said treat people how you would like to be treated. 

Id have thought annoying loyal customers isn’t the way to go about things but seemingly Celebrity aren’t bothered.

I wonder if there’s been a negative feedback in the media.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bikerunner said:

It is more getting it out there that Celebrity does not care about impacted customers.  I am aware its my choices I made.  Trust me I see their side and the reasoning of the generating of the revenue that they willl gain in the long run.  But not even offering price protection, along with purchasing various items at good sale prices, premium pkg upgrade wifi upgrade etc, there's a reason I booked when the cruise was first released as most of the time this Is when the best rates are available.  In truth I would have been upset but okay if Celebrity had done the redeployment before air prices were released.  This situation just caused more headaches than should have occurred.  Do I feel that reaching out to the various travel sites etc will lead to anything, probably not but who knows.  I stay optimistic overall that a single person can have an affect on things.  

What do you actually want Celebrity to do, what would appease you?

• Like 2