Phone call from Executive office on Redeployment of Beyond

bikerunner

8 hours ago, BlackLion 213 said:

Rather odd comments...

The following has been posted elsewhere, but for your perusal, I'll share the email I received from Celebrity...

Do you believe it now?

Do you still feel it is a misunderstanding?

Sheesh!

IMG_5252.jpeg

Sorry that my posting was confusing.  I did not mean to suggest that I did not believe what you were saying.  I was just shocked that Celebrity was not being more generous, especially because they were forcing you to book at the prevailing rate for a cancelled cruise with less than a year’s lead time.  I agree with you and IMO that is total BS from Celebrity.  It does not affect me personally, but I am still very disappointed in Celebrity for the cancelled cruises less than one year away.  $100 OBC is an insult.  I would book with a different cruise line if it happened to me.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Sorry that my posting was confusing.  I did not mean to suggest that I did not believe what you were saying.  I was just shocked that Celebrity was not being more generous, especially because they were forcing you to book at the prevailing rate for a cancelled cruise with less than a year’s lead time.  I agree with you and IMO that is total BS from Celebrity.  It does not affect me personally, but I am still very disappointed in Celebrity for the cancelled cruises less than one year away.  $100 OBC is an insult.  I would book with a different cruise line if it happened to me.  

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 2:43 AM, mac_tlc said:

I don’t know about the OP, but I want X to price protect the booking I made on the Beyond TA in November. 

Curiously, the suite prices on Ascent, which was one of the “options”, have increased since the Beyond cancellation. It was already $4K more than Beyond for one less day, and now it’s up another $400.

I don’t find that curious at all.

It’s basic supply & demand economics. Celebrity lowered the supply by redeploying Beyond. Therefore, demand for the "options" increased.

Since they gave us limited time to do so, I am sure a lot of people scrambled to rebook as soon as they learned of the changes. The increased bookings continued to drive prices higher. For those that didn’t immediately jump at the bait and switch, and need to take the time to review their very sudden options (ships, itineraries, dates, extenuating plans both for the trip AND at home, etc), the potential pricing is now even more ridiculous.

Which is just one of the arguments of this. If Celebrity had offered price protection, there would, imho, be fewer complaints, such as mine…

Knowing how this was handled by Celebrity, I would not be surprised to learn they planned ahead and increased pricing in the days just before their big announcement. Thus, their rebook at “prevailing” rates…

As you have stated, I just want X to price protect the booking I made on the Beyond.

• Like 6

On 7/1/2023 at 10:50 AM, bikerunner said:

My goal is to get banned from cruising with them as I have 2 friends who work for Condé Nast group as writers and also contacting other travel guides etc.  Dont really care at this point.  

I get it you’re upset.  A planned special cruise for you has changed. I don’t get trying to get banned.  What does this prove?  What point are you actually making?  Why would Celebrity care? What hill are you dying on with getting banned? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlackLion 213 said:

I don’t find that curious at all.

It’s basic supply & demand economics. Celebrity lowered the supply by redeploying Beyond. Therefore, demand for the "options" increased.

Since they gave us limited time to do so, I am sure a lot of people scrambled to rebook as soon as they learned of the changes. The increased bookings continued to drive prices higher. For those that didn’t immediately jump at the bait and switch, and need to take the time to review their very sudden options (ships, itineraries, dates, extenuating plans both for the trip AND at home, etc), the potential pricing is now even more ridiculous.

Which is just one of the arguments of this. If Celebrity had offered price protection, there would, imho, be fewer complaints, such as mine…

Knowing how this was handled by Celebrity, I would not be surprised to learn they planned ahead and increased pricing in the days just before their big announcement. Thus, their rebook at “prevailing” rates…

As you have stated, I just want X to price protect the booking I made on the Beyond.

I don’t disagree with the fact that supply was reduced but they also artificially increased demand, by making such few options. It must be nice to control both sides of the equation. 

I agree with you that price protection is all I want. 

mac_tlc

• Like 6

1 hour ago, crusinthrough said:

I get it you’re upset.  A planned special cruise for you has changed. I don’t get trying to get banned.  What does this prove?  What point are you actually making?  Why would Celebrity care? What hill are you dying on with getting banned? 

Yeah, that part seems odd to me.  I would put my efforts to use into finding a suitable replacement for the planned trip. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Just another reason for our saying "BYE" to Celebrity.   

Having followed your posts for many years I really hope you don’t say goodbye…I have always found your posts both useful and interesting…If you do move to an alternative line let us know your opinions…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chemmo said:

Having followed your posts for many years I really hope you don’t say goodbye…I have always found your posts both useful and interesting…If you do move to an alternative line let us know your opinions…

Thank you for that, and I have found the same in yours. 

We have nothing with Celebrity booked at this time and have no plans to right now which is the first time since 1998 that I can say that.  Even during the pandemic we would book something and cancel(like so many) but I can't find anything now that I want to book.  Itineraries don't change, prices are crazy expensive and there really doesn't seem to be any incentive for loyal customers.  

Have been looking around and some of Princess itineraries are intriguing. Their full suites are lovely and with their "plus" package include a lot of the same perks that X offers and some that are better (in our opinion).  We'll see what the future brings... happy cruising to you.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Didn't we sail together on the AZ Baltics cruise pre pandemic?

No have never sailed AZ and we tried to do the Baltics on Celebrity several times the last being April of 2020.....we all know what happened then. 😨

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

I don’t disagree with the fact that supply was reduced but they also artificially increased demand, by making such few options. It must be nice to control both sides of the equation. 

Yeah, that's quite convenient, huh?

I believe that had a lot to do with the lack of price protection.

Hey, given everything else we have going on, look at the chance we have to increase revenue... Sure, we'll piss off a few, but there's plenty of other suckers in the sea that will fill our ships.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, BlackLion 213 said:

Hey, given everything else we have going on, look at the chance we have to increase revenue... Sure, we'll piss off a few, but there's plenty of other suckers in the sea that will fill our ships.

Is that what they call chum?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Thank you for that, and I have found the same in yours. 

We have nothing with Celebrity booked at this time and have no plans to right now which is the first time since 1998 that I can say that.  Even during the pandemic we would book something and cancel(like so many) but I can't find anything now that I want to book.  Itineraries don't change, prices are crazy expensive and there really doesn't seem to be any incentive for loyal customers.  

Have been looking around and some of Princess itineraries are intriguing. Their full suites are lovely and with their "plus" package include a lot of the same perks that X offers and some that are better (in our opinion).  We'll see what the future brings... happy cruising to you.  

We have an Infinity cruise booked for next Autumn…

After that nothing. I the past we often had 2/3 cruises booked and would then sneak in an extra! Like you we are finding prices eye watering….Also E class is now cruising from Southampton and the RS and PH are very expensive and I don’t like the layout as much as the S class! Paying more for less…

In addition to looking at other cruise lines we are also (like many I think) still enjoying some staycations. So many nice cottages and chalets available at a fraction of the cost of a cruise with just a couple of hours drive and no airports and flying!

Whatever cruise line you try next keep us informed, definitely interested in your opinion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I am new to this topic, but what I haven't read is any mention of whether travel insurance helps here?

I imagine insurance would cover any non refundable amounts paid. They will probably need the cancellation notice and will probably make you jump through hoops to prove your items claimed.  But then it might also be dependent on the trip insurance policy you purchased.  Read the fine print.

That's why I always buy trip insurance on any cruise and now airline tickets.  I use Steve at Trip Insurance Store.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

@ChucktownSteve I am not affected. I am just surprised not one person has said "You should have gotten travel insurance" so I thought maybe there was something making it inapplicable. Seems like all types of those comments happen when people have flights cancelled due to weather, or they get sick after final payment or whatever. I can't imagine all these posters whom I recognize as experienced cruisers didn’t get insurance for their expensive ancillary plans.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 7:05 PM, BlackLion 213 said:

For reasons not quite readily clear, we are attempting to stay loyal to Celebrity, at this moment. Hear me out…

We have also dispatched a letter to the executive office, and await a reply before moving forward.

To use, and slightly modify, the adage; “Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me.

For those that may not have followed along, I will preface that our argument is purely the lack of price protection for Celebrity’s other "options" after redeploying Beyond, and thus their expectation that we have to rebook the "options" at the higher prevailing rates that have increased significantly since we first booked.

I have no argument with the decision to redeploy Beyond to the Caribbean and CocoCay. Just the manner surrounding some of the factors involved in doing so.

We received a phone call inside of 24 hours from sending the executive office an email late Sunday evening. I have kicked around how I wanted to present this here for a few days…

Suffice to say, my email got me nowhere, I received the anticipated "No" that I was expecting, and got a "corporate mandated" (a term quoted verbatim by them) response. Our complaint has been recorded, but there will be (again, as quoted verbatim by them) "NO changes to this decision!"

We actually had two cruises booked. Both had been open bookings (made aboard previous X cruises) and converted to these sailings. Despite originally being open bookings, and both still less than a year old (so they should still be valid for other bookings), both bookings will cancel, with NO option whatsoever to extend them or use them after July 11th. I suspect a lot of this has to do with the new deposit requirements recently put in place. After all, why allow us to use $400 worth of future deposits when they can exploit so much more from us with their new deposit policies.

As I have stated, this is a callous disregard for their customers. If they are this insensitive in this situation, I shudder to think what other things are coming down the road. I don’t really want to be affected by their next blunder.

Oh wait, I already have, they’re allowing vaping as a test experiment aboard Eclipse & Equinox. Gee, I’m so thrilled to have Eclipse scheduled in less than two weeks. Ugh!

Sadly (or maybe not so sadly), I don’t believe X can be trusted with our vacations any longer. Admittedly, I don’t doubt this can happen on other lines. I will be reading other sections of cc with new enthusiasm as we look for options to our canceled Beyond sailings, and all other future cruise vacations.

First world problems, I suppose.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, bikerunner said:

Had a phone call today from the letter I had sent to the Executive office conveying my feelings on the Redeployment of the Beyond and screwing me over and offering no compensation in any sense.  

Just some background, I was on the TA on the Beyond on Apr 24.  The window for air had opened and had purchased my return flight from Rome.  We were meeting friends in Rome who had also purchased roundtrip air to meet us on the 6th of may when we disembark. Was also planning on celebrating my Birthday in Eden and had precooked the date on the beyond.  Vrbos booked Some tours pre booked etc.  Also my travel mate and I work together and we had to put in and get permission for both of us to be off for a month April 22 to May 20th.  Not easy, as our friends had to request the time in Rome off also etc.  We have no flexibility in moving because of various projects going on wiith our jobs.  

In general Celebrity will be doing nothing for loyal customers, Person mention ohhh you can go to ascent, different dates, shorter cruise, would have cost more and also I had an SV on Beyond not even comparable.  They gave the stock answers "will share this with management etc", In general they are doing nothing.  I love the shipboard experience and crew, but how corporate has dealt with this redeployment I am no longer going to consider Celebrity moving forward. See no reason to give RCG my money anymore.  I do have 2 future cruises with them booked but trying to find substitutions that work but will probably do my nov one as not blaming the shipboard staff but the other will be replaced as there are other options.  

My goal is to get banned from cruising with them as I have 2 friends who work for Condé Nast group as writers and also contacting other travel guides etc.  Dont really care at this point.  Moving the Beyond when itineraries were released 8 or so months ago and doing nothing at all for affected customers is about as bad customer service that can be done.  Sorry Rant over.  Just p/o with the call I had this morning with them

They at least should have done a lift and shift to a comparable cruise like they did during covid cancellations so you are protected from price increases and maybe thrown in a nice OBC. Keep fighting for that.  I completely understand about the SV. I’m sure they’re all gone on Ascent in April 2024 and it’s definitely late to be booking an April 2024 TA if you are picky like I am (want no part of IV)I would be upset too, but I’d probably still stick with Celebrity because there’s nothing else like it, imo. So please don’t get yourself banned (however that works) it won’t hurt them and you might change your mind when this is more in rear view. I’m on Beyond going westbound TA in October. Looks like she won’t be returning to Europe for quite some time. 😥 She seems nicer than a ship that only cruises around the Caribbean 

1 hour ago, BlackLion 213 said:

For those that may not have followed along, I will preface that our argument is purely the lack of price protection for Celebrity’s other "options" after redeploying Beyond, and thus their expectation that we have to rebook the "options" at the higher prevailing rates that have increased significantly since we first booked.

I have no argument with the decision to redeploy Beyond to the Caribbean and CocoCay. Just the manner surrounding some of the factors involved in doing so.

We received a phone call inside of 24 hours from sending the executive office an email late Sunday evening. I have kicked around how I wanted to present this here for a few days…

Suffice to say, my email got me nowhere, I received the anticipated "No" that I was expecting, and got a "corporate mandated" (a term quoted verbatim by them) response. Our complaint has been recorded, but there will be (again, as quoted verbatim by them) "NO changes to this decision!"

We actually had two cruises booked. Both had been open bookings (made aboard previous X cruises) and converted to these sailings. Despite originally being open bookings, and both still less than a year old (so they should still be valid for other bookings), both bookings will cancel, with NO option whatsoever to extend them or use them after July 11th. I suspect a lot of this has to do with the new deposit requirements recently put in place. After all, why allow us to use $400 worth of future deposits when they can exploit so much more from us with their new deposit policies.

As I have stated, this is a callous disregard for their customers. If they are this insensitive in this situation, I shudder to think what other things are coming down the road. I don’t really want to be affected by their next blunder.

Oh wait, I already have, they’re allowing vaping as a test experiment aboard Eclipse & Equinox. Gee, I’m so thrilled to have Eclipse scheduled in less than two weeks. Ugh!

Sadly (or maybe not so sadly), I don’t believe X can be trusted with our vacations any longer. Admittedly, I don’t doubt this can happen on other lines. I will be reading other sections of cc with new enthusiasm as we look for options to our canceled Beyond sailings, and all other future cruise vacations.

First world problems, I suppose.

They’re going to test out allowing vaping? There is all kind of everything not known about inhaling 2nd hand vape and there’s no regulation.🤦🏼‍♀️ I’m sure it’s about appealing to a younger crowd. Sadly they may all have no lungs by 40, but back on point, you are right, we do need to keep our eyes open for what else might happen as they sweep out the old for the young. Beyond floating around Caribbean going to coco cay is sad to me although PERHAPS they have seen error of their ways with the IV. Caribbean cruisers might not be as opposed to them as those that prefer other itineraries. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GenXer85 said:

They’re going to test out allowing vaping? There is all kind of everything not known about inhaling 2nd hand vape and there’s no regulation.🤦🏼‍♀️ I’m sure it’s about appealing to a younger crowd. Sadly they may all have no lungs by 40, but back on point, you are right, we do need to keep our eyes open for what else might happen as they sweep out the old for the young. Beyond floating around Caribbean going to coco cay is sad to me although PERHAPS they have seen error of their ways with the IV. Caribbean cruisers might not be as opposed to them as those that prefer other itineraries. 

Yikes... don't get me started on the IVs...

Yes, you can read all about the vaping here...

• Thanks 1

I really feel for those of you who are affected. We're new to cruising in general and have our first Celebrity cruise in 2 months (second cruise overall). Our third is with a different cruise line in January, so we're definitely testing out different lines to see what we like. As much as I prefer to be a loyal customer, stuff like this makes me wary of booking Celebrity in the future or committing to any one line, even if we think we've found a good match.

This situation reminds me of an issue from way back in law school about changing what numeric scores constituted A's/B's'/C's, etc. The student body was generally supportive of the change, but the administration decided to apply it retroactively to the classes still in school. We argued that it was a betrayal of those currently in school who were working under the current grading rules that were in affect at the time we enrolled, and that they should apply to it incoming classes who would be on notice of the change before starting school. A number of us told the school point blank, if you apply this to us, you won't see a dime in donations in the future. They went ahead with it, we appealed it through the school administrative process, won, and... I haven't given a cent to my law school in 27 years.

They may not be true to their word, but I am!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

This sadly sums up most executive office communications. They just don’t care anymore. It’s sad but true I am afraid.  If your cruise was cancelled they used to offer a form of lift and shift, but not anymore. 
There is no longer any point being loyal to the company as they don’t show much loyalty back.  
I am booking more and more princess cruises in the future, for far more sensible prices.  
happy cruising 

• Like 3