An overview of our 14 Day Ovation cruise to Norway departing 11th June 2023

John117

Our flight to Copenhagen was 1.5 hours late due to Danish ATC strike issues. The transfer to the ship went smoothly as did check in. There is no need to print or down load your boarding pass or uploading photos as they take another at the port. Our luggage arrived as we got to our suite plus a bag labelled to our suite which was not ours.

We totally missed the safety drill but we watched the video on the TV though no-one prompted us to do so. Didn’t visit our muster station either so for newbie cruisers (not us) there could be a safety issue.

We had a few minor issues with cabin on boarding. The toilet pan was not clean and there was no water in it. It wouldn't flush either. The toilet seat was loose and ready to fall off. We didn't have any soap. The balcony door handle was almost seized so difficult to access balcony. The shower door was stuck closed so our first shower had to be using the handheld shower in the bath. The in suite drinks were not what we asked for. We did call Seabourn in Southampton to organise that but it didn’t work. These issues were corrected very quickly but didn’t someone check the suites before boarding?

A few days into the cruise our mini fridge packed up and there was water all over the bottom of the fridge. The fridge was replaced the same day but 2 days later we had the same problem again and once again the fridge was replaced within 12 hours.

We only used room service once for a cooked breakfast but the food food was cold on a cold plate so we stuck to the Collonade.

Night lights have been installed under the bedside cabinets and dressing table but they are way too bright and wake your partner up if you visit the small room. If the sensor is taped over perhaps with a piece of paper the problem is solved but I didn't tell you!!

Someone had a small fluffy dog on board and we saw it in the Colonade being fed under the table and walked through the buffet and on one occasion it had its front paws on the table eating food from the table. The owner walked it on the upper deck on a flexible lead and didn't seem to care about others trying to walk without tripping over the lead. The dog was sniffing guests, chairs, towels as it walked along so all this raises a few hygene issues. I raised these issues with the hotel director and the maitre d of the collonade but I got the same answer that it was a service dog and lots of paperwork had been completed. It was quite clearly not a service dog. I have written to guest services to complain about their non compliance with their own protocols regarding dogs.

There was some evidence of cost cutting as there were no tote bags available on board. Apparently a supply issue. No pens or notepaper in the suite either so take your own.
Are laundry bags getting smaller? Or is it my imagination?

The food was generally better than our 2 cruises with Seabourn in 2022. The service is better too but some staff from warmer climates were very reluctant to serve tables outside so one day we had to help ourselves to the wine with lunch in the collonade.

The Included wine list was not available although several times we were promised a copy would be sent to our suite which didn’t happen but we always found something drinkable. No Oyster Bay on board unusually but they had Yealands and Map Maker which has improved since the last time we tasted it. Then Yealands run out!! Quite a few reds were ok too. We found the table waiting staff generally more helpful in getting us an alternative wine. The "sommeliers " always seemed too busy unless you wanted to purchase a specialty wine.

Most wait staff were very good but some could use a bit more training/supervision especially in table clearing and their attitude to the customers who pay their salary.
There was lots of conversations in little groups in their native tongue. At least one luxury cruise line bans this beyond the staff areas.

I found the meat in TK very good and well cooked but over seasoned with salt. I was disappointed in Earth and Ocean but perhaps I chose the wrong night and wrong dishes?

The MDR got very busy most nights. The scheduling of some talks meant a large group descended on the MDR and on one night at least and they ran out of tables.

The Cruise director is now called the entertainment director apparently but we didn't see much of her except at the deck parties. She gave very little info on the best times to view the fjords

Disembarkation was fairly chaotic. We heard nothing from destination services so made enquiries and were told we didn't have a transfer booked. I produced the final document downloaded before we left and emailed it to them. Then I had a voicemail message to say we would be transferred to the Marriott Hotel for lunch. A few hours later I received another voicemail saying it would be a different hotel. Then a letter arrived saying we were going to the Marriott! On the day the bus left 15 mins late and we had to get our luggage off the bus into the hotel. The Marriott is undergoing major refurbishment in the reception area and the reception area was full before we arrived so it got majorly full. The rep at the hotel announced lunch was at 12.30 in the restaurant. No day room was provided and there were few seats in reception so a lot of us set off for a walk. Thank goodness it wasn't raining.

We sat down for lunch at 12.30 but the burger and fries (no choice even for vegetarians) didn't arrive until 13.00. The burger meat was raw, the bun was soggy but the large basket of French fries were good. Iced water included but anything else was extra.

Summing up this cruise was much better than the 2 we had in 2022 but still not up to the standard we had pre covid. We have cruises booked with Regent on Splendor (end July)  and Silversea on Nova in September so we will be able to see who have got the best package and decide on our cruises for next year

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, John117 said:

Our flight to Copenhagen was 1.5 hours late due to Danish ATC strike issues. The transfer to the ship went smoothly as did check in. There is no need to print or down load your boarding pass or uploading photos as they take another at the port. Our luggage arrived as we got to our suite plus a bag labelled to our suite which was not ours.

We totally missed the safety drill but we watched the video on the TV though no-one prompted us to do so. Didn’t visit our muster station either so for newbie cruisers (not us) there could be a safety issue.

We had a few minor issues with cabin on boarding. The toilet pan was not clean and there was no water in it. It wouldn't flush either. The toilet seat was loose and ready to fall off. We didn't have any soap. The balcony door handle was almost seized so difficult to access balcony. The shower door was stuck closed so our first shower had to be using the handheld shower in the bath. The in suite drinks were not what we asked for. We did call Seabourn in Southampton to organise that but it didn’t work. These issues were corrected very quickly but didn’t someone check the suites before boarding?

A few days into the cruise our mini fridge packed up and there was water all over the bottom of the fridge. The fridge was replaced the same day but 2 days later we had the same problem again and once again the fridge was replaced within 12 hours.

We only used room service once for a cooked breakfast but the food food was cold on a cold plate so we stuck to the Collonade.

Night lights have been installed under the bedside cabinets and dressing table but they are way too bright and wake your partner up if you visit the small room. If the sensor is taped over perhaps with a piece of paper the problem is solved but I didn't tell you!!

Someone had a small fluffy dog on board and we saw it in the Colonade being fed under the table and walked through the buffet and on one occasion it had its front paws on the table eating food from the table. The owner walked it on the upper deck on a flexible lead and didn't seem to care about others trying to walk without tripping over the lead. The dog was sniffing guests, chairs, towels as it walked along so all this raises a few hygene issues. I raised these issues with the hotel director and the maitre d of the collonade but I got the same answer that it was a service dog and lots of paperwork had been completed. It was quite clearly not a service dog. I have written to guest services to complain about their non compliance with their own protocols regarding dogs.

There was some evidence of cost cutting as there were no tote bags available on board. Apparently a supply issue. No pens or notepaper in the suite either so take your own.

The food was generally better than our 2 cruises with Seabourn in 2022. The service is better too but some staff from warmer climates were very reluctant to serve tables outside so one day we had to help ourselves to the wine with lunch in the collonade.

The Included wine list was not available although several times we were promised a copy would be sent to our suite which didn’t happen but we always found something drinkable. No Oyster Bay on board unusually but they had Yealands and Map Maker which has improved since the last time we tasted it. Then Yealands run out!! Quite a few reds were ok too. We found the table waiting staff generally more helpful in getting us an alternative wine. The "sommeliers " always seemed too busy unless you wanted to purchase a specialty wine.

Most wait staff were very good but some could use a bit more training/supervision especially in table clearing and their attitude to the customers who pay their salary.
There was lots of conversations in little groups in their native tongue. At least one luxury cruise line bans this beyond the staff areas.

I found the meat in TK very good and well cooked but over seasoned with salt. I was disappointed in Earth and Ocean but perhaps I chose the wrong night and wrong dishes?

The MDR got very busy most nights. The scheduling of some talks meant a large group descended on the MDR and on one night at least and they ran out of tables.

The Cruise director is now called the entertainment director apparently but we didn't see much of her except at the deck parties. She gave very little info on the best times to view the fjords

Disembarkation was fairly chaotic. We heard nothing from destination services so made enquiries and were told we didn't have a transfer booked. I produced the final document downloaded before we left and emailed it to them. Then I had a voicemail message to say we would be transferred to the Marriott Hotel for lunch. A few hours later I received another voicemail saying it would be a different hotel. Then a letter arrived saying we were going to the Marriott! On the day the bus left 15 mins late and we had to get our luggage off the bus into the hotel. The Marriott is undergoing major refurbishment in the reception area and the reception area was full before we arrived so it got majorly full. The rep at the hotel announced lunch was at 12.30 in the restaurant. No day room was provided and there were few seats in reception so a lot of us set off for a walk. Thank goodness it wasn't raining.

We sat down for lunch at 12.30 but the burger and fries (no choice even for vegetarians) didn't arrive until 13.00. The burger meat was raw, the bun was soggy but the large basket of French fries were good. Iced water included but anything else was extra.

Summing up this cruise was much better than the 2 we had in 2022 but still not up to the standard we had pre covid. We have cruises booked with Regent on Splendor (end July)  and Silversea on Nova in September so we will be able to see who have got the best package and decide on our cruises for next year

Wow.  We were on your same cruise and did not have the difficulties you have shared.  It is a shame your suite was not thoroughly checked before you embarked.  Which deck were you on?  We noticed that there was no pen or paper and requested some which was duly delivered.  I did wonder if the laundry bag was slightly smaller.  Everything we needed washed still fit inside of it.  We qualify (the two of us) for a total of four free laundry bags washed now (two per week each)--and only used three.  Since we never dined in the Colonnade during the two weeks, I didn't see groups of waiters talking.  I only encountered one crew member that I thought was lacking in demeanor/training.  He delivered our room service breakfast one morning and complained nonstop about this and that.  I tried to be sympathetic and encouraging.  He later was one of our waiters at the TK Grill.  I think it is a case of life at sea not being for him.  Hopefully he will find other employment.  

You observed the dog being even less appropriate than I observed.  The dogs owners truly did not care who they inconvenienced.  The staff member who told you about all the paperwork they had to comply with was giving you the spiel they were instructed to give.  I'm sure no one on staff or crew believe this was a service dog.  

All the wait staff (save that one) that we encountered had outstanding attitudes and were always smiling.  We were so fortunate in that regard.  

I did find the food in The Restaurant to be wanting--in very subtle ways.  I just read in a FB group that the chef has changed since we disembarked a week ago today.  Our room service breakfasts were always warm to hot.  

We found disembarkation to be very smooth and well organized.  We were on a Seabourn transfer bus straight to the airport.  I am always a bit nervous about transfers so I went down to Guest Services three days before the end of the cruise to inquire.  I find I get better service if I go to Guest Services in person--or maybe that is just my perception. 

The only muster drill was walking to your muster station and being checked off a list there.  The rest was done by video on the suite TVs.  It WAS announced---several times.  Perhaps you missed the announcements?  

This is another example of being on the same cruise---with different results.  It happens!

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

Wow John, it sounds like nothing went right for you on this cruise and you had a miserable time. We are about to have our first Seabourn cruise, I hope we don't experience all the issues you had.

Well it wasn't as good as it could have been but overall the cruise was good. We are Gold members with Seabourn so remember what they were like pre covid and they have a bit of work to do to get back there. I hope your cruise goes well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

Wow.  We were on your same cruise and did not have the difficulties you have shared.  It is a shame your suite was not thoroughly checked before you embarked.  Which deck were you on?  We noticed that there was no pen or paper and requested some which was duly delivered.  I did wonder if the laundry bag was slightly smaller.  Everything we needed washed still fit inside of it.  We qualify (the two of us) for a total of four free laundry bags washed now (two per week each)--and only used three.  Since we never dined in the Colonnade during the two weeks, I didn't see groups of waiters talking.  I only encountered one crew member that I thought was lacking in demeanor/training.  He delivered our room service breakfast one morning and complained nonstop about this and that.  I tried to be sympathetic and encouraging.  He later was one of our waiters at the TK Grill.  I think it is a case of life at sea not being for him.  Hopefully he will find other employment.  

You observed the dog being even less appropriate than I observed.  The dogs owners truly did not care who they inconvenienced.  The staff member who told you about all the paperwork they had to comply with was giving you the spiel they were instructed to give.  I'm sure no one on staff or crew believe this was a service dog.  

All the wait staff (save that one) that we encountered had outstanding attitudes and were always smiling.  We were so fortunate in that regard.  

I did find the food in The Restaurant to be wanting--in very subtle ways.  I just read in a FB group that the chef has changed since we disembarked a week ago today.  Our room service breakfasts were always warm to hot.  

We found disembarkation to be very smooth and well organized.  We were on a Seabourn transfer bus straight to the airport.  I am always a bit nervous about transfers so I went down to Guest Services three days before the end of the cruise to inquire.  I find I get better service if I go to Guest Services in person--or maybe that is just my perception. 

The only muster drill was walking to your muster station and being checked off a list there.  The rest was done by video on the suite TVs.  It WAS announced---several times.  Perhaps you missed the announcements?  

This is another example of being on the same cruise---with different results.  It happens!

We were on deck 6 midships so good location. I am pretty sure the suite crew did not look after our suite on the previous cruise as they were shocked when we told them of our issues. We were pretty late boarding so we probably missed the announcements but from previous experience we knew to watch the video. We didn't check in at the muster station however as it was all over by the time we watched the video.

1 hour ago, Sixgems said:

Wow John, it sounds like nothing went right for you on this cruise and you had a miserable time. We are about to have our first Seabourn cruise, I hope we don't experience all the issues you had.

You won't 

I'm sure.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John117 said:

We were on deck 6 midships so good location. I am pretty sure the suite crew did not look after our suite on the previous cruise as they were shocked when we told them of our issues. We were pretty late boarding so we probably missed the announcements but from previous experience we knew to watch the video. We didn't check in at the muster station however as it was all over by the time we watched the video.

Don't be late next time John.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, imescaping said:

What would be considered late? Our hotel is 15-20 minute cab ride from the cruise terminal and we were planning of leaving the hotel at noon. Departure time 5:00 pm

My two cents worth on this point (and we were on the June 11 Ovation sailing as well) is:  Plan to arrive a bit later.  Our sailing, and I suspect most later in the season, was essentially full.  I think the actual count was somewhere around 555 (we heard two figures, 538 and 568 don't know which was correct, but "full") nearly everyone descended on the pier between noon and 1pm with actual boarding starting about 12:30. Boarding was very efficient and orderly but the result was the Colonnade was jam packed, few chairs indoors, I'm told there was space outside though we didn't find any.  Cabins were released promptly at 1:00 and by 1:15 Colonnade was a pleasant ghost town.

Lesson learnt we're planning to move towards the terminal at 1:00 for our Odyssey sailing in August.  So much more pleasant.  Who needs that rush as a first memory of your cruise.

9 minutes ago, jondfk said:

My two cents worth on this point (and we were on the June 11 Ovation sailing as well) is:  Plan to arrive a bit later.  Our sailing, and I suspect most later in the season, was essentially full.  I think the actual count was somewhere around 555 (we heard two figures, 538 and 568 don't know which was correct, but "full") nearly everyone descended on the pier between noon and 1pm with actual boarding starting about 12:30. Boarding was very efficient and orderly but the result was the Colonnade was jam packed, few chairs indoors, I'm told there was space outside though we didn't find any.  Cabins were released promptly at 1:00 and by 1:15 Colonnade was a pleasant ghost town.

Lesson learnt we're planning to move towards the terminal at 1:00 for our Odyssey sailing in August.  So much more pleasant.  Who needs that rush as a first memory of your cruise.

Who needs to go to the Colonnade especially as that is where the majority go.

I find the sky bar or patio grill much more civilised 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Who needs to go to the Colonnade especially as that is where the majority go.

I find the sky bar or patio grill much more civilised 

I couldn't agree with you more, and now, with one sailing under our belts we plan to do exactly as you suggest.  However, on our first cruise, staff actively "herded" us toward the Colonnade.  After we finished and moved towards our room we had our first encounter with the Patio and yes I agree a much superior alternative which we will certainly exploit next month.  Thanks though for the clarification.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2023 at 6:22 AM, John117 said:

Is this the Copenhagen Marriott that you're referencing that is "undergoing a major refurbishment in the reception area"? I plan on spending 3 nights there in August - and will definitely not order a burger, only the fries!

I was on Ovation in May and can't agree with you about your staff complaints. But a dirty bathroom and broken fridge are inexcusable. Sooo glad I missed the dog and its nasty owners!

14 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Is this the Copenhagen Marriott that you're referencing that is "undergoing a major refurbishment in the reception area"? I plan on spending 3 nights there in August - and will definitely not order a burger, only the fries!

I was on Ovation in May and can't agree with you about your staff complaints. But a dirty bathroom and broken fridge are inexcusable. Sooo glad I missed the dog and its nasty owners!

Yes it was the Copenhagen Marriott. Looked as thought the reception was less than half the normal size. They may have finished their work by August but you could email the hotel.

I guess the staff issues largely depend on where you eat, the time, and where you sit. Most of the problems we had were sitting outside at the Collonade. No issues in MDR or TK.

Still waiting for a reply from guest services about the dog!

55 minutes ago, John117 said:

Yes it was the Copenhagen Marriott. Looked as thought the reception was less than half the normal size. They may have finished their work by August but you could email the hotel.

I guess the staff issues largely depend on where you eat, the time, and where you sit. Most of the problems we had were sitting outside at the Collonade. No issues in MDR or TK.

Still waiting for a reply from guest services about the dog!

We stayed in the Copenhagen Marriott on June 6th and 7th.  At that time, there did not seem to be  construction work going on in the reception area.  The reception desk is a small area with a large entry way adjacent to it. Lines did form there from time to time.  It is a large hotel with a small reception desk area.  Has construction begun since then?  The hotel looks quite fresh and new and not a place slated for renovation.  We only had breakfast  in the main dining area--a buffet, and while not my favorite way to be served/serve yourself a meal, it was a very good breakfast.  No complaints.  We had one meal in the small dining area next to the bar one night.  It was ok.  Service was a bit slow, but nothing worth noting.  I DID appreciate that on Saturday night, the hotel gave priority to hotel guests for seating  in the bar area over people who were not guests who were enjoying the canal side patio of the hotel.  How did they do this?  They put a reserved sign on every table.  At first I was puzzled, but then asked if the reserved tables were for hotel guests.  They were indeed--so we were able to sit and have a glass of wine after returning from the Tivioli Gardens around 9pm.  I would love to see US hotels reserve space for hotel guests.  Several times, while staying at the Four Seasons in Austin, Texas, we could not enjoy their lovely bar due to non hotel guests who arrive only for the bar.  It is a bit annoying to be a guest at a hotel with no place to sit.  So,  I applaud the Copenhagen Marriott for this.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SDuckers said:

Oh, one of my favorite hotels I have ever stayed at.  I call it "Summer camp for grown-ups."  

Same here…it’s been a few years since we stayed there, our visits were wonderful

Nancy

• Like 1

I have received a reply from Seabourn Guest Services on the issue of dogs onboard. It is the same NON reply other cruisers have received previously. I have gone back to them to express my disappointment.

Here is my email and below it is the reply for information

"

I wish to protest in the strongest possible terms about Seabourn’s failure to comply with its own protocols regarding allowing dogs on its ships.

One of the main reasons we love cruising is not having to worry about dogs in rooms unlike many hotels and self catering accommodation which are increasingly becoming dog friendly

I sailed on the seabourn ovation cruise on 11th June 2023 from Copenhagen and one passenger had her dog with her which was clearly not an assistance dog. It wore a flexible lead with no harness and was obviously not properly trained...a spoiled pet. I observed the owner several times around the ship without her dog so not requiring assistance. I believe the owner also boasted to another passenger that this was the dogs second cruise so obviously Seabourn’s system for preventing such dogs being on board is not working on more than one cruise.

The definition of an assistance dog on your Web site is quite clear to me and I have no problem with that other than perhaps suites used for such dogs need to receive a deep clean afterwards to prevent following passengers having an allergic reaction.

I have no doubt that someone in the Seabourn organisation monitors Facebook and Cruise Critic and I am sure they will have seen many posts on this subject so I am not alone in complaining about this issue. There have also been several photos posted of the offending dog but I enclose my photos for your reference.

This dog raised many issues in my mind

1. Breach of Seabourns own protocols 

2.Preventing allergic reactions on those susceptible to dog hair (including my wife)

3.Hygene issues as the dog was allowed to enter restaurants and feed under the table and even eat from some tables in the Collonade. I am not sure how the dogs bodily functions were catered for?

4. Tripping hazard as the owner walked the dog on deck with a flexible lead and basically let the dog roam at will sniffing all the Guests, seats, loungers and towels as it went!!

I raised this issue with the maitre d of the Collonade and then with the hotel director. Both obviously followed the party line and gave almost identical answers.."there is lots of paperwork and it is an assistance dog". I am not sure who approves this paperwork but I am pretty sure the Hotel Director had not seen it? According to one of my fellow passengers from the USA $50 will get you a “medical certificate” with no questions asked so maybe this needs to be investigated in more detail? Seabourn could also draw attention to the definition of an assistance dog in the documents sent to guests.

I have reached gold status with Seabourn but I am afraid I will not be boarding another of your ships unless I receive some firm assurances that this issue will be dealt with in an appropriate manner even if it means upsetting some of your privileged passengers who think they can flout your protocols (and at present they obviously can)."

"

Thank you for the letter regarding your Seabourn Ovation sailing. We appreciate the further opportunity to assist.

We hear your concern and thank you for sending in the photographs and bringing our attention to the ongoing Facebook discussion. In accordance with ADA rules we allow service animals that meet the U. S. Department of Justice definition for a service animal. We require guests who travel with service animals to provide the appropriate information about the task or work the dog has been trained to do to assist with a disability prior to their service animal being approved to travel with them. All guests, with or without disabilities, are expected to adhere to appropriate code of conduct & behavior. Additionally, we have policies regarding the behaviors expected of service dogs and of their owners which include ensuring the dog does not pose a direct threat to guests and team members as well as the dog being under the control of the owner at all times. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you once again for contacting Seabourn Guest Relations. We look forward to our next opportunity to assist and until then wish you all the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, John117 said:

Additionally, we have policies regarding the behaviors expected of service dogs and of their owners which include ensuring the dog does not pose a direct threat to guests and team members as well as the dog being under the control of the owner at all times. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Gee, I'd like to see the policies they refrence!

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Gee, I'd like to see the policies they refrence!

And, the dog in question was not always under the direct control of the owners.  Against instructions, they let the dog off leash outdoor in Norway while on excursions with other guests.  I saw this (twice) myself in two difference locations.  In the second location, there was even a sign (with words AND illustration) saying that dogs were not allowed off leash in that area. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John117 said:

I have received a reply from Seabourn Guest Services on the issue of dogs onboard. It is the same NON reply other cruisers have received previously. I have gone back to them to express my disappointment.

Here is my email and below it is the reply for information

"

I wish to protest in the strongest possible terms about Seabourn’s failure to comply with its own protocols regarding allowing dogs on its ships.

One of the main reasons we love cruising is not having to worry about dogs in rooms unlike many hotels and self catering accommodation which are increasingly becoming dog friendly

I sailed on the seabourn ovation cruise on 11th June 2023 from Copenhagen and one passenger had her dog with her which was clearly not an assistance dog. It wore a flexible lead with no harness and was obviously not properly trained...a spoiled pet. I observed the owner several times around the ship without her dog so not requiring assistance. I believe the owner also boasted to another passenger that this was the dogs second cruise so obviously Seabourn’s system for preventing such dogs being on board is not working on more than one cruise.

The definition of an assistance dog on your Web site is quite clear to me and I have no problem with that other than perhaps suites used for such dogs need to receive a deep clean afterwards to prevent following passengers having an allergic reaction.

I have no doubt that someone in the Seabourn organisation monitors Facebook and Cruise Critic and I am sure they will have seen many posts on this subject so I am not alone in complaining about this issue. There have also been several photos posted of the offending dog but I enclose my photos for your reference.

This dog raised many issues in my mind

1. Breach of Seabourns own protocols 

2.Preventing allergic reactions on those susceptible to dog hair (including my wife)

3.Hygene issues as the dog was allowed to enter restaurants and feed under the table and even eat from some tables in the Collonade. I am not sure how the dogs bodily functions were catered for?

4. Tripping hazard as the owner walked the dog on deck with a flexible lead and basically let the dog roam at will sniffing all the Guests, seats, loungers and towels as it went!!

I raised this issue with the maitre d of the Collonade and then with the hotel director. Both obviously followed the party line and gave almost identical answers.."there is lots of paperwork and it is an assistance dog". I am not sure who approves this paperwork but I am pretty sure the Hotel Director had not seen it? According to one of my fellow passengers from the USA $50 will get you a “medical certificate” with no questions asked so maybe this needs to be investigated in more detail? Seabourn could also draw attention to the definition of an assistance dog in the documents sent to guests.

I have reached gold status with Seabourn but I am afraid I will not be boarding another of your ships unless I receive some firm assurances that this issue will be dealt with in an appropriate manner even if it means upsetting some of your privileged passengers who think they can flout your protocols (and at present they obviously can)."

"

Thank you for the letter regarding your Seabourn Ovation sailing. We appreciate the further opportunity to assist.

We hear your concern and thank you for sending in the photographs and bringing our attention to the ongoing Facebook discussion. In accordance with ADA rules we allow service animals that meet the U. S. Department of Justice definition for a service animal. We require guests who travel with service animals to provide the appropriate information about the task or work the dog has been trained to do to assist with a disability prior to their service animal being approved to travel with them. All guests, with or without disabilities, are expected to adhere to appropriate code of conduct & behavior. Additionally, we have policies regarding the behaviors expected of service dogs and of their owners which include ensuring the dog does not pose a direct threat to guests and team members as well as the dog being under the control of the owner at all times. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you once again for contacting Seabourn Guest Relations. We look forward to our next opportunity to assist and until then wish you all the best.

Poppycock 

• Like 1