Question for POA1

AV8rix

Brian @POA1, that entire thread was removed for whatever reason (likely some bluenose was offended by the title).   I received notification that you replied to my question but didn't log in until after the thread was censored so I didn't see your answer.

So I'll ask again -- do you residents of Sky Harbour display the banner of each line as one of its ships departs PE, or do you do it only for HAL?  I'm always thrilled to see it.

TIA

• Thanks 1

That's a strange thread to remove... (Here goes this one!) 

We don't see the banner from our side, so I'm not sure which building it's on.  The first building you pass as you start to exit the port in the Shanahan River channel is Sky Harbor. That's where the webcam "lives."  Tucked behind Sky Harbor is Everglades House. It's sort of a quarter circle shape,  Someone there used to fly an NCL flag, but I haven't seen it in years.

The two buildings at the end of the beach are Point of Americas. Our condo faces south, so we wouldn't see any banners on the water side.  I'll ask at the pool or beach next time I'm down. I'm sure there's a nosy neighbor who'd know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You got me thinking - never a good idea - about trying to find a Holland America flag to wave as the ships went by. EBay had one for $7.99. It comes with a wooden pole and everything. Pricewise, that's doable. However, it might be hard to see from the ships.

Img_2023_07_04_13_23_35.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

6 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You got me thinking - never a good idea - about trying to find a Holland America flag to wave as the ships went by. EBay had one for $7.99. It comes with a wooden pole and everything. Pricewise, that's doable. However, it might be hard to see from the ships.

Img_2023_07_04_13_23_35.jpeg

It has the old logo, which I prefer. 🙂 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

The two buildings at the end of the beach are Point of Americas. Our condo faces south, so we wouldn't see any banners on the water side.  I'll ask at the pool or beach next time I'm down. I'm sure there's a nosy neighbor who'd know.

Oh, my error!  I thought you actually lived in Sky Harbour.  MY DUMB!  Your handle is POA and I didn't connect it to your condos until RIGHT NOW!  Sorry about that.

Anyway, since you can't see it, here's what I'm talking about:  Whenever we pass Sky Harbour some of the residents are out on the lawn there facing the channel and holding up a HAL banner.  It's actually not a flag but a banner -- requires people holding it at both ends.  Except in bad weather, they never fail to be out there with the banner. So, having never sailed on another line, I was just wondering if they do that for all the lines.

But thanks for the reply anyway.

BTW, likely there's at least one other neighbor of yours in Sky Harbour who's a U Nebraska alum.  I say that because Copper John @Copper10-8 claimed he sometimes sees a 'Husker flag on a balcony but couldn't be yours if you're in a unit whose view to the channel is blocked, right?  😉😉😉.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AV8rix said:

BTW, likely there's at least one other neighbor of yours in Sky Harbour who's a U Nebraska alum.  I say that because Copper John @Copper10-8 claimed he sometimes sees a 'Husker flag on a balcony but couldn't be yours if you're in a unit whose view to the channel is blocked, right?  😉😉😉.

No, the "banner" John mentioned is my wife's, but it's a blanket. Years ago, he tasked me which condo was ours and her Nebraska blanket was the most visible thing I had available. We do have some little flags that the port gave out to everyone in the area when ships started sailing again. They don't approach banner sized, but they're bigger than the toothpick flag I found on Ebay.

PXL_20210626_215518909.jpg

Edited by POA1
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Whereas I tied it to Pride of America, the ship that circles Hawaii. Always thought it was odd Brian promoted a NCL ship, but hung out on the HAL board!!!

First thing that always came to mind for me as well  😂

• Like 1

No, I was just looking for a username that was short & easy to type. Of course, it couldn't have been in use already. If I recall correctly, I rec'd an email from the building that we had a package. The subjects are along the line of "Message from POA1: You have an Amazon delivery." Or UPS, FedEx or USPS. And I thought, "Let's see if POA1 is available." Kinda boring, but that's how it came about.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

@AV8rix I see people holding the large HAL banner, too, when we leave FLL and always make a point of waving at them. My sister thinks I'm a dork and DH has no idea what I'm talking about, so I wave double to cover theirs, lol. 🙄

I have wondered if they hold up banners for other cruise lines, but since we're special, I've not pursued an answer. 😊

• Like 1