Live Seascape YC (7/9-7/16): A Celebrity Loyalist Jumps Ship

GenerationX

2 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I did book it through MSC.  I did notice that closer to my sail date, a few more excursion options popped up in the cruise planner, so if you’re sailing in September maybe check again at the end of this month?

Here’s the title and code for our excursion if it helps.

Overall though, I think for me MSC doesn’t have the same volume/variety of excursion options that Celebrity offers.  But MSC’s non-sale excursion pricing is a little better.

D4C4EE40-3E13-4DD0-BB5E-9E2F88199177.thumb.jpeg.cb0be4ce491e09de73f63047faf32d2b.jpeg

Thank you!

Quick Update from Seafood Extravaganza lunch buffet on Seascape:

This is one of those places where, sorry Celebrity, there is no comparison. 

I believe there is a passenger who sailed in YC on Seascape about a month ago who is being very vocal right now on social media about there being a serious issue with non-YC guests crashing in the YC on Seascape and staff being unable/willing to address the problem.

I certainly can’t speak to what went on on other sailings. However, when we got to the deck for lunch (after Gen Z got her junior environmental ambassador award in kids club, which was personally signed by the captain, and had a Virtual Reality theater play date) I noticed a stronger presence of butlers and officers on the pool deck and I didn’t see many people who I don’t recognize from the past few days.  There have been no lines or waits to get through the buffet, plenty of everything stocked and loungers and tables were plentiful.  Honestly the only thing I saw that may not belong was some guest’s Bluetooth boom box parked and cranking out tunes next to the pool.  I don’t know the rule on MSC but that’s definitely a no no on Celebrity.

Perhaps the crashing issue had been seen and MSC is now actively working to address it. 

The deck was busier than it’s been at lunch on other days, but no busier than I’d expect when over 300 people are all offered free lobster and a pool with no port in sight.

BTW, I was happy with all the seafood. I don’t know how you make lobster tails in bulk like that without over or under cooking it, but they pulled it off somehow. However, the suckling pig and roasted chicken were also right on par with it and shouldn’t be ignored.  Just as we were thinking we couldn’t eat anymore, who appeared with the tray of afternoon gelato service, but our own Charles!

The pool, buffet and bar staff are all working their afts off today and somehow managing to do so in amazing spirits.  Now I’m going to do my best to ignore the teatime snacks that just replaced all the shellfish. 

EC4BC559-CF60-488E-A675-A3FEEE93F52C.thumb.jpeg.70992a91c22910659defc77cbef4a392.jpeg

C7DABD5A-6A54-410E-B6C3-A10E503DE399.thumb.jpeg.ed0372b7871ce1a1cf9c9f22ee13579b.jpeg

9B231ACB-CD90-40B4-BC27-2C7A6BF18875.thumb.jpeg.ccea925228e4fa2c6f29e42615365d4a.jpeg

F30D3FCE-1F77-4C8E-A584-38EFCF26D513.thumb.jpeg.d0c25a6c08bdf72db385e76adf16c9cb.jpeg

3BA8B479-691B-4001-BA26-63DCABE919FE.thumb.jpeg.af463c6bd2abc0a3441e29941e69366a.jpeg

A64FAFE6-D80F-44B5-BE4E-9D30F0A74859.thumb.jpeg.dbe9891b26fd8f4c3589aa096024f1e0.jpeg

230ED9CD-FA8C-4097-B3B0-1091DA390939.thumb.jpeg.e4796db27ab7939648cfe62b9ef12be7.jpeg

D2A6798A-DF00-4B50-B1F4-EB870891EB85.thumb.jpeg.1b1c8d16f4fa93a1b788eb188771f160.jpeg

• Like 20

37 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

This is one of those places where, sorry Celebrity, there is no comparison.

Sounds fun, and like Celebrity needs to up its food offerings in Retreat for convenience - at least.

Just an observation from reading Charla's review and others about YC and comparing it to my own Retreat experience, there is a definite distinction when it comes to an abundance of (fun) food throughout the day in YC and space for the guests.  And, it seems planned, well known, and to fit well with the rest of the schedule. 

Whereas in Retreat there's a limited outdoor bar food menu for a limited time of day, maybe some seemingly random cold fruit skewers or small taste of gelato, and then the standard daily continental bfast, tea sandwiches and charcuterie and small cups of chips in the lounge.  For other food options, such as they may be, one has to leave the Retreat, and either carry it back (not practical) or relocate.  And, E-class Retreat probably can't accommodate all guests at one time on the outdoor deck, or lounge.  So, how Retreat could provide more food may not work, as it inherently relies on guests utilizing other parts of the (nice) ship throughout the day. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, catgirl411 said:

As usual, I am really enjoying your posts. Thanks for doing them. It seems like the only way that someone like me would enjoy MSC is if I could book YC class whereas on Celebrity we’ve enjoyed regular balcony cabins and Aqua Class. In Oct we are having our first Retreat experience (got an amazing deal on a TA) so we will see how it goes. We don’t travel with any kids so the things that are enhancing Gen Zs experience have no appeal to us.  In any event, it is great to have someone like you describing your experience on Seascape so that I can evaluate the fit for us.

Thank you! Yes I think if Celebrity is your preferred “vibe” for cruising, you would definitely want to be in YC on MSC.  

Based on my conversations with MSC regulars , the Aurea “spa class” on MSC doesn’t come close to Aqua on Celebrity. Everyone I’ve spoken to in the club on this cruise has agreed on how very different the experience and service level is between YC and the rest of the ship.  I haven’t experienced it personally, but a few people have even shared accounts of non YC crew being apathetic, dismissive and/or downright rude.

One man from the UK who said he’s done a number of cruises but was on his first MSC said to me “when we’re in Yacht Club I feel like I’m on Celebrity, then we go out the club doors and it’s like we just switched ships to Costa or Carnival.”

I’ve never sailed on either of those lines so can’t comment on the accuracy of the statement, but I agree it really is different.

• Like 6

When I was in April I went out later in the evening outside of YC, it was really packed but I do like having the option of being in YC or going outside when I want to. But I don't think I would book outside YC but that's because I can get a little overwhelmed (neurodiversive with anxiety issues).

I haven't sailed in retreat on celebrity yet so can't comment (also probably can rarely afford it with the way interest rates are going and my mortgage coming up for renewal unless I win the lottery). I do know the lobster on celebrity was no where near as good as what I had on MSC 🤣

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GenerationX said:

As a member of the same minority group as the crashing couple who hasn’t had a single issue with such questioning, and neither have any of the other diverse YC guests that I’ve met so far (because it seems the staff seems learns incredibly quickly who belongs and who’s a random new face), I felt so bad for the crew member and went over to thank him for doing his job and added him to my end of cruise tip envelope list.  

Having experienced my fair share of true racism and prejudice (thus far never on an MSC or Celebrity ship), it’s an issue I take very seriously and it’s sadly still a very real issue in the world, and it really makes me mad when people like that throw such a serious allegation around when they know they’re in the wrong to begin with.

Very well said.

Most-Interesting-Man-Applause.gif.97d1eb5b272ed4006b943e379123307a.gif

• Like 2

On 7/9/2023 at 8:17 AM, Essiesmom said:

Loving those black patent Mary Janes.  Did you have a matching starry night dress?  EM

That dress! @GenerationX I also have a 10 year old. She would be all over that dress!! 

we are on Seaside and Seascape over the next couple of weeks. I’m so excited. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Sounds fun, and like Celebrity needs to up its food offerings in Retreat for convenience - at least.

Just an observation from reading Charla's review and others about YC and comparing it to my own Retreat experience, there is a definite distinction when it comes to an abundance of (fun) food throughout the day in YC and space for the guests.  And, it seems planned, well known, and to fit well with the rest of the schedule. 

Whereas in Retreat there's a limited outdoor bar food menu for a limited time of day, maybe some seemingly random cold fruit skewers or small taste of gelato, and then the standard daily continental bfast, tea sandwiches and charcuterie and small cups of chips in the lounge.  For other food options, such as they may be, one has to leave the Retreat, and either carry it back (not practical) or relocate.  And, E-class Retreat probably can't accommodate all guests at one time on the outdoor deck, or lounge.  So, how Retreat could provide more food may not work, as it inherently relies on guests utilizing other parts of the (nice) ship throughout the day. 

I completely agree with this observation.  

As it currently stands, even if/when YC and Retreat are evenly priced, Retreat is becoming a tougher sell for me because I feel like I’m getting less amenities for the same money. It’s even tougher to convince myself to pay 50-100% more to get less, even though I do enjoy the other non suite areas of the ship on Celebrity.much more.

I know Celebrity is dealing with financial recovery challenges that MSC isn’t, so it may not be feasible financially, but just expanding options to open Luminae for lunch on port days and offer some time of breakfast on the retreat pool deck would make a big difference.  

I think Celebrity’s original thinking was that demand for those types of options wouldn’t be high enough to justify cost, but especially on E class and the revolutionized ships where the number of suites has been increased (and are regularly being sold out do to move ups), it may be time to reassess that thinking.

I am proceeding with caution though as my MSC TA has cautioned that MSC may be proceeding down a similar path regarding volume of space/amenities for YC guests vs. number of guests.  She is hearing that on the new World class ships being built, the number of YC cabins is being increased significantly, but the square footage of the lounge, restaurant and pool deck is staying fairly consistent with Seascape.

I’m currently booked on one of the first Caribbean sailings for the World America in April 2025 (oops! Spoiler!) so will get to see first hand how it’s working out.  My agent got me a good price (several thousand dollars less than the current pricing for Retreat on Ascent for the same week), so even if it turns out to be less of an experience than what I’m starting to come to expect from YC I don’t think I’ll be too put out.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

As it currently stands, even if/when YC and Retreat are evenly priced, Retreat is becoming a tougher sell for me because I feel like I’m getting less amenities for the same money. It’s even tougher to convince myself to pay 50-100% more to get less, even though I do enjoy the other non suite areas of the ship on Celebrity.much more.

I know Celebrity is dealing with financial recovery challenges that MSC isn’t, so it may not be feasible financially, but just expanding options to open Luminae for lunch on port days and offer some time of breakfast on the retreat pool deck would make a big difference.  

I think Celebrity’s original thinking was that demand for those types of options wouldn’t be high enough to justify cost, but especially on E class and the revolutionized ships where the number of suites has been increased (and are regularly being sold out do to move ups), it may be time to reassess that thinking.

I am proceeding with caution though as my MSC TA has cautioned that MSC may be proceeding down a similar path regarding volume of space/amenities for YC guests vs. number of guests.  She is hearing that on the new World class ships being built, the number of YC cabins is being increased significantly, but the square footage of the lounge, restaurant and pool deck is staying fairly consistent with Seascape.

I’m currently booked on one of the first Caribbean sailings for the World America in April 2025 (oops! Spoiler!) so will get to see first hand how it’s working out.  My agent got me a good price (several thousand dollars less than the current pricing for Retreat on Ascent for the same week), so even if it turns out to be less of an experience than what I’m starting to come to expect from YC I don’t think I’ll be too put out.

What date for April did you book? Curious as I have World America for April also booked

Good morning from our sail into Nassau!

While Gen Z slept off the pajama party in the kids club I took in the sea breeze on our veranda.

Another perk of YC:  the espresso machine! On Celebrity, I’ve only had access to self help caffeine sailing in Celebrity Suites or higher.

Last night we had an early Italian Night dinner in YC with our Austrian friends.  Gen Z went with her favorite again and had grilled salmon from the adult menu and chicken nuggets and fries from the kids menu. I started with the mixed fried seafood (which was much better than it was on Divina) then had the lamb chops and the asparagus risotto.  The lamb chops were more done than I like but tender and the red wine sauce on them was very good. The risotto was a little under seasoned but nothing a little salt and pepper and an extra sprinkle of Parmesan couldn’t fix.  

Our server, Benedict was great with the kids and made them some origami animals to entertain them between courses.

For dessert Gen Z had ice cream and I had the lemon cake with limoncello cream…with ice cream on the side.  

The adults finished up the meal with a round of limoncello…ok fine, TWO rounds of limoncello.  Then we took the kids to the PJ party and came back to the Top Sail to listen to some music and have more, you guessed it, limoncello.  (Hey, it was Italian night. When in Roma…)

We’ve had live music in Top Sail every night from around 5:30 till 11pm.  It’s been the same gentleman who plays guitar and piano and sings, but he’s very talented and has done great diverse sets.  Because the restaurant balcony overlooks the lounge you can hear him playing at dinner when the restaurant isn’t crowded which adds to the ambience for me.

When Gen Z and I got back to the room, she  was halfway into fresh pajamas when she told me her stomach was growling (after all that dinner, growth spurt strikes again) and asked about getting pizza from the buffet.  As I walked back past the concierge desk to go fulfill this request, the concierge asked if Gen Z forgot something at kids club. When I told her where I was going she said “oh no madam, please let me call and have them make one fresh for you and we’ll bring it to your room right away.”

15 minutes later it was fresh hot brick oven pizza in pajamas in bed…this child is being spoiled beyond belief.

Gen Z and I are taking Nassau as a bonus sea day and won’t be going into port. We’re just finishing a late breakfast at the one pool bar (the pool does breakfast till 10am thankfully, and the made to order pancakes are perfection) then she wants to try out the Robotron ride and look in the Lego shop onboard.

After lunch, we plan to meet up with a couple of other YC families to take the kids to try and check out the water park and water slides while people are in port and it may be less crowded (and we’ll hopefully get less hissing from the villagers at our yacht club wristbands and towels).

Then Gen Z is going to the afternoon kids club session while I enjoy the pool. Then we’re having an early dinner in Butcher’s Cut specialty with our Austrian friends.

Happy Friday!

39E94CF0-1F1D-413B-B26D-324D270FE930.thumb.jpeg.552867d330ba3e54114f0d748b97fbad.jpeg

321C2342-757F-4966-9041-B2EC7E4B166A.thumb.jpeg.6b4765d025faa6a7f47238af839e6e95.jpeg

616DAB11-ADF3-4792-856C-1CD5C99475A1.thumb.jpeg.0b448e92957cbfd9326ab83ccba8c9d9.jpeg

FF9ADB0F-0F5D-4E91-A8E7-94E532A95B1A.thumb.jpeg.46579013e81d3435bbf5756d99f126e4.jpeg

ACE8E139-795D-4C5A-B97D-03E1B97273F9.thumb.jpeg.9ab95e0dd1b75d724f4c5e87f64b09f0.jpeg

1A6A82DD-6686-47C3-AF03-C1A93E126BE1.thumb.jpeg.1ffc7135ad04f4b1f3e1cd6c2ab187df.jpeg

90E352DB-1A9F-40AE-91F0-07C0BB9D6866.thumb.jpeg.9f63b40280a56e6156c7d06a559edd37.jpeg

BD6F0556-4C53-4C8C-BB8C-CF95ED255CD8.thumb.jpeg.f8641cbca4383cf611c73af25cd47738.jpeg

6267B331-D3C9-4D5B-836D-CE8ED66139C6.thumb.jpeg.1b9e371c2ba48235a360f5540d8f1259.jpeg

1622F54E-6F2C-424E-9F2C-5D139C032DC7.thumb.jpeg.58bc754d82977046de682fbb8509266f.jpeg

2B30639E-8F65-498F-8D30-5B2F2AF5EE67.thumb.jpeg.66e6fe4f1bcb5f3ab2b7161616450e8c.jpeg

C5B452FB-96A2-47B8-9B55-E102859361DF.thumb.jpeg.0424eb0e1512f35cffcdedd111143e69.jpeg

564C5885-2753-4916-B96E-642E17277D6B.thumb.jpeg.6d0947b4beb0b50325ff30979bc420a9.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Major props for the in room espresso machine!  That's a big improvement over Retreat suites that don't have them until above the Celebrity Suite level, which ends up being a small number of rooms.  

Celebrity Retreat's lack of an in room espresso or coffee pod machines for Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites and reliance on either room service (by butler if seeking anything other than base level drip coffee) or having guests travel to the OVC, plaza or the often back logged machine in the Retreat Lounge is an issue. 

(The Retreat lounge machine, like many lounges with a machine, isn't up to high volume, becomes a bottle neck with passengers reading instructions and selecting pods, and often in a cleaning cycle when needed.  The machine "in the back" requires waiting for the staff to engage, travel, and deal with the same issues just behind the swinging door). 

We can all name budget hotels that do a better job with making caffeine available on demand.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Carla, you are convincing me more and more, with your once again excellent review, to make the switch from Celebrity to MSC. I am paying so much more and getting less for the Retreat than what you are describing. The personal service you are receiving and the food in YC is superior to Retreat. Thanks for taking the time to do this! 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, CruisinBanka said:

Carla, you are convincing me more and more, with your once again excellent review, to make the switch from Celebrity to MSC. I am paying so much more and getting less for the Retreat than what you are describing. The personal service you are receiving and the food in YC is superior to Retreat. Thanks for taking the time to do this! 

Sorry for the typo…..CHARLA! 

3 hours ago, GenerationX said:

This is what is tipping the balance for us as well, although you get the whole ship with Celebrity there isn't actually all that much we find attractive that is easily available without a queue, or having to deal with a shortage of seating... and on the flip side a lot of things that are there in YC that are missing from the Retreat.

• Like 3

Just caught up on your review, thanks for doing it! I've read a couple of your other ones and love your writing and parenting style. I love how you include plenty of detailed information without making it dry. Your storytelling narrative really makes each post light, fast and fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

When I was in April I went out later in the evening outside of YC, it was really packed but I do like having the option of being in YC or going outside when I want to. But I don't think I would book outside YC but that's because I can get a little overwhelmed (neurodiversive with anxiety issues).

I haven't sailed in retreat on celebrity yet so can't comment (also probably can rarely afford it with the way interest rates are going and my mortgage coming up for renewal unless I win the lottery). I do know the lobster on celebrity was no where near as good as what I had on MSC 🤣

Celebrity is my preferred cruise line. I, like Lena, have never sailed in Retreat on Celebrity so, I am not making a comparison. Pre-pandemic we sailed in YC on Seaview in Europe. We LOVED YC. The only negative - it is much too sedate in the evenings. The music is lovely but some nights I needed a different vibe to mix it up. Once you leave the YC there is a lot of fun to be had on the other side of the door. The event staff threw great parties at different bars and lounges throughout the ship, silent discos and the White party just to name a few. The Europeans party late into the night. So much fun!!! More fun than I have had on any evening on a Celebrity ship. But the beauty of YC is when you can't play any longer you can go back to your quiet, little enclave. I would probably not book outside YC either, as I need that happy place to recover from the times that I venture out. 

On another note, thanks to Charla for posting such amazing reviews!!! I have enjoyed all of them. I am longtime lurker but this is the first time that I have chimed in. Please enjoy your last few days on board!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For as much thought that has gone into Retreat, and it's fixed protocols that don't seem to be moveable when common sense would suggest a change, how it fits with the rest of the ship, and so on, someone at Celebrity should be developing a list of easy fixes and moving forward to match or exceed the YC experience given the higher price being charged. 

There's a lot to like about Celebrity Retreat and the overall ship experience that is nice, but MSC YC seems to be ahead on the overall experience for its passengers even if other parts of the ship and vibe are inconsistent (and possibly to be avoided). 

I'll post somewhere else so improvements can be discussed.  Had a long list, but don't want to hijack the lovely report.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

For as much thought that has gone into Retreat, and it's fixed protocols that don't seem to be moveable when common sense would suggest a change, how it fits with the rest of the ship, and so on, someone at Celebrity should be developing a list of easy fixes and moving forward to match or exceed the YC experience given the cost. 

There's a lot to like about Celebrity Retreat and the overall ship experience that is nice, but MSC YC seems to be ahead on the overall experience even if other parts of the ship and vibe are inconsistent (and possibly to be avoided). 

I'll post somewhere else a place where improvements can be discussed.  Had a long list, but don't want to hijack the lovely report.  

Thank you! I would be very interested in seeing and participating in this discussion!  I agree there are probably quite a few relatively easy/lower costs improvements Celebrity could make to stay more competitive.

The in-room espresso machines and an full espresso service at the Retreat lounge and pool come to mind. 

I will keep an eye out for this thread on the Celebrity board.

• Like 3

Thank you for this fantastic review! 

I'm heading on the seascape July 30 with just myself and my boys 8 and 5! My oldest is similar to your genZ in that he gets overwhelmed with too much sensory input, he loves legos and minecraft, and is a pretty cool kid who is also ND. My younger is also not neurotypical, but is more flexible than his brother. 

Both have enjoyed the kid's club on Carnival and I'm hoping they will on MSC as well. I'm glad to hear you can ask for a phone for the club to contact!

Any additional tips or helpful info for a solo mom with neuro-spicy kids in tow? We will also be in YC for this cruise. 

Hi Gen X,

Loving your review, as usual! I find myself wanting to book YC now…would you mind sharing what kind of a suite you are in? I know on X you often do Celebrity (or higher). Is there a similar ‘tier’ of suites in YC where those in higher suites get more amenities?

7 hours ago, GenerationX said:

After lunch, we plan to meet up with a couple of other YC families to take the kids to try and check out the water park and water slides while people are in port and it may be less crowded (and we’ll hopefully get less hissing from the villagers at our yacht club wristbands and towels).

Snicker at the villagers comment; when we were in the 3 bedroom suite, the living room overlooked the pool deck, I believe.  We called it looking at the masses.

• Haha 2

I'm really enjoying this, and thinking maybe we should consider switching, but for us, it comes back to one thing.

When we're on a cruise, one of our most frequent, and favorite things to do is ballroom dance.  The older Princess ships have great venues, and their newer ships, like Celebrity S class offer it in the atrium.  

The sense I'm getting from this is that MSC should be avoided if you're not in YC, and I don't get the sense that they have ballroom there.

5 hours ago, abbydancer said:

The sense I'm getting from this is that MSC should be avoided if you're not in YC

From my point of view this is totally wrong. It is like to take from a first class flyer report that econony or even business class should be avoided. The huge success of MSC is not based on the surely great YC product, it is based on what they offer for the other 95 percent on the ship. 

• Like 2