Cruising vs All Inclusive Resort

I am trying to get my brother to book a 4-night RCCL.  His kids are 17 and 13. I think they would have a better time on a cruise than on a resort. However, my brother is stuck on drinks not being included in the price. Is there a way to have some idea of the cost of the drink package before he commits so he can tally that into the cost?  

We do both.  Have found that wonderful all inclusive are more cost effective.  We love the Resorts in playa Mujeres Cancun.  The ships aren't really all inclusive.  You pay additional for drinks, specialty restaurants, and ship tours etc.  The AI resorts that I have gone to include airport transfers,  drinks, tips, specialty restaurants.  Only spa services and if you want extra tipping aren't included.  Sometimes kids like the idea of a beach vacation with pool access.  Drink package prices vary, can cost as much a $80 plus pp. per day.  Plus when we cruise, we fly in the day before and the hotel rate has to be added to the cost of the cruise. Also, unless you are in suite, the cabin typically vs. the hotel room is much smaller.  

Like the variey. Love the entertainment on the cruise ships and visiting various ports.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, LivLove2Cruise said:

I am trying to get my brother to book a 4-night RCCL.  His kids are 17 and 13. I think they would have a better time on a cruise than on a resort. However, my brother is stuck on drinks not being included in the price. Is there a way to have some idea of the cost of the drink package before he commits so he can tally that into the cost?  

The first post in this thread will walk you through how to access the cruise planner for any sailing and you can see the exact price of the drinks package if purchased today.

• Like 3

Figure $300 to 400 (max) for a drink package for 4 nighter and then compare total price to a resort.  Most everything else is included onboard unless you want specialty restaurants.  I’ve done an all inclusive and much prefer cruising.   Others feel differently.  

I personally wouldn’t leave my teens on their own nowadays in most of the counties these all inclusive resorts exist. 

• Like 2

We used to do both but haven’t done a AI resort in several years, we did higher end resorts and you get what you pay for. Big thing is entertainment is far superior on ships. The better resorts have better food than cruise mdr . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We do both.  Have found that wonderful all inclusive are more cost effective.  We love the Resorts in playa Mujeres Cancun.  The ships aren't really all inclusive.  You pay additional for drinks, specialty restaurants, and ship tours etc.  The AI resorts that I have gone to include airport transfers,  drinks, tips, specialty restaurants.  Only spa services and if you want extra tipping aren't included.  Sometimes kids like the idea of a beach vacation with pool access.  Drink package prices vary, can cost as much a $80 plus pp. per day.  Plus when we cruise, we fly in the day before and the hotel rate has to be added to the cost of the cruise. Also, unless you are in suite, the cabin typically vs. the hotel room is much smaller.  

Like the variey. Love the entertainment on the cruise ships and visiting various ports.

All inclusive best bang for your buck

• Like 5

I am also not an AI guy anymore, even though better pricing over cruising, really just found AI didn’t offer enough as 8m not a beach guy and we had to wander off to find stuff to do, so always easier to find  stuff to do on a cruise, but if the drink package is a deal breaker, might have to be AI

2 hours ago, George C said:

We used to do both but haven’t done a AI resort in several years, we did higher end resorts and you get what you pay for. Big thing is entertainment is far superior on ships. The better resorts have better food than cruise mdr . 

Agree.  Entertainment at night is superior on ships.  I went with a big group when I did an all inclusive.   But I could see how folks could be bored at night without a group to hang out with.  

• Like 2

I do both and like both. What I like about cruises over the AI resorts is being able to spend a day in a different place every day or just a day at sea. What I like about the AI’s is “Everything” is included as advertised! What would be considered a specialty restaurant on the ship would be included with the various restaurants at the resorts. Having to pay for the drink package on the cruise is not a deal breaker for me. So as I said I do both and like both. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The first post in this thread will walk you through how to access the cruise planner for any sailing and you can see the exact price of the drinks package if purchased today.

Thank you so much! This provided me with exactly the information I needed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, topnole said:

Figure $300 to 400 (max) for a drink package for 4 nighter and then compare total price to a resort.  Most everything else is included onboard unless you want specialty restaurants.  I’ve done an all inclusive and much prefer cruising.   Others feel differently.  

I personally wouldn’t leave my teens on their own nowadays in most of the counties these all inclusive resorts exist. 

I agree. I have done both and I also prefer cruising. My brother hasn't so I wanted to give him a different option. 

3 hours ago, George C said:

I do more all-inclusive than cruises (about 3 AI's to every 1 cruise). But I have to agree here. Cruise entertainment is far superior, even to the most high end expensive all-inclusives. Especially for kids and teens. 

For teens, a cruise is absolutely a better option. Now, if the dad getting unlimited drinks for the least money is this family's #1 vacation priority, by all means, go with the all-inclusive, but if he's open to suggestions, then I'd suggest he pay up for the drink package and let his family have the most fun. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, FastShip24 said:

We were talking about value for money, not because you were bored. You can get bored on any trip

Entertainment is part of the value for the money and all inclusive resorts absolutely lack what Royal ships provide in this aspect.  Your replies to her are really confusing.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, topnole said:

Entertainment is part of the value for the money and all inclusive resorts absolutely lack what Royal ships provide in this aspect.  Your replies to her are really confusing.  

You can get bored on any venue.  Entertainment is subjective