SILHOUETTE Oct 22nd TA

Baggy178

Hi all,

Paid £750pp for a balcony cabin with restricted view on Deck 6 from Soton-Fort Lauderale. We plan on spending another three weeks in the States after that.

We're travelling light - hand luggage only - and looking to do it as cheaply as possible. Any advice or observations would be appreciated.

The drinks package is the one thing we're not sure about particularly as we don't know bar prices on board - if we're light drinkers is it worth just getting one package and sharing it between two ?

And what sort of weather/crossing can we expect in late Ocotber ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, unfortuntately you're not able to share a drinks package, you will both have to buy one if you want a package. If you're not big drinkers, it's not worth buying in my opinion though.  there will be tea/coffee making facilities in your room and free tea/coffee, water etc in the buffet area you can access. I've done the crossing many times and it can be varied, we usually pack layers and a waterproof. They usually offer a laundry bag option, fit as much as you can into a laundry bag for a wash, dry and fold (note not ironed) for a reasonable price also after a few days on board. I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip!

Edited by sammyboots

Technically, you are not supposed to share the drink package between the two of you although if you're discrete (e.g. order one drink at a time) you can probably get away with it. Having said that, we are very light drinkers and as such it is not worth even buying one drink package. Perhaps someone will post drink prices so you can do the math. 

Weather and crossing conditions are highly variable. Generally the closer your cruise gets to Fort Lauderdale, the warmer it will be. 

Edited by mahdnc

15 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Hi all,

Paid £750pp for a balcony cabin with restricted view on Deck 6 from Soton-Fort Lauderale. We plan on spending another three weeks in the States after that.

We're travelling light - hand luggage only - and looking to do it as cheaply as possible. Any advice or observations would be appreciated.

The drinks package is the one thing we're not sure about particularly as we don't know bar prices on board - if we're light drinkers is it worth just getting one package and sharing it between two ?

And what sort of weather/crossing can we expect in late Ocotber ?

Thanks in advance.

Sharing packages is not allowed.  

assuming that you booked a “simply sail” rate with no drinks packages included, you are probably looking at buying your drinks one at a time.

8 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Technically, you are not supposed to share the drink package between the two of you although if you're discrete (e.g. order one drink at a time) you can probably get away with it. Having said that, we are very light drinkers and as such it is not worth even buying one drink package. Perhaps someone will post drink prices so you can do the math. 

Weather and crossing conditions are highly variable. Generally the closer your cruise gets to Fort Lauderdale, the warmer it will be. 

I'm pretty sure you cant do that on Celebrity. Everyone in the same cabin has to have the drinks package, they won't allow just one person so that it isn't shared. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Weather and crossing conditions are highly variable. 

We did the crossing for the first time in 2005 from Rome to Galveston in Texas.

The Captain had to alter the course, to miss hurricane Katrina.

We also missed Key West.

We did have an excellent lecturer on board, who took on a couple of extra lectures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sammyboots said:

I'm pretty sure you cant do that on Celebrity. Everyone in the same cabin has to have the drinks package, they won't allow just one person so that it isn't shared. 

You are correct. I just tried to purchase a drink package for our cruise-only sailing and it's either everyone gets a package or nobody gets one. I did recall someone a month ago posting that they were able to buy one package because their spouse did not drink via the phone. It took some convincing. 

I believe in the case you refer to, and others like it, one passenger got the alcohol package and the other passenger wanted only the non alchohol package for health reasons and that was granted.  But the second passenger was not able to do without some sort of drinks package altogether.

• Like 1

You may wish to download the Celebrity App an then look under your booking for different bars.   They have the menu and pricing for all the bars on the ship.   Wine selection may be limited to what is listed.

At least it will give you a general feel of the prices of Coffee, Wines, Beer and Liquor by the drink to help calculate if a drink package makes sense.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I believe in the case you refer to, and others like it, one passenger got the alcohol package and the other passenger wanted only the non alchohol package for health reasons and that was granted.  But the second passenger was not able to do without some sort of drinks package altogether.

And I suspect those cases are tagged and checked behind the scenes and if the amount of alcoholic beverages seems extreme, they could be at minimum flagged...or you could be forced to upgrade the non-alcoholic package on board at prevailing rates. AND the exception for medical reasons could be removed all together if they figure out enough people are doing it.

(Not to mention, that would preclude ordering any alcoholic beverages at dinner unless one of you only is drinking because the servers are clearly going to see drinks at both places - especially if you order them at dinner.)

On 7/8/2023 at 10:54 AM, mahdnc said:

All persons in the cabin must purchase the drink package.  You can't buy just one to share.

We are on the same TA, booked without all the add ons, and quite comfortable with our decision. On deck 6, mid ship, and have $475 OBC. We are Elite, so we'll utilize that evening drink benefit in the Sky Lounge and respective bars. We'll pick up a few bottles of wine on our way to Southampton which we'll have in our room.to enjoy on the verandah. Neither of us drink to the level of needing a package, in fact the two drinks I may order in the Sky Lounge are far more than I drink normally. Age, wisdom and medication  control the alcohol intake.

We each get a free bag of laundry, though I plan to rinse/wash small items in the cabin sink. Wish Celebrity were like Princess or Azamara with passenger laundry/ironing rooms. Based on past experience, we only need one wifi connection, which can be pre-ordered at reduced rates. Gratuities can be charged against the OBC and if we exceed the OBC, so be it - the 11-night cruise is far less costly than the air BOS to LHR.

We are flying Virgin on the 18th, car service to hotel not far from Waterloo Rail. DH wants to do London Eye, I prefer the Aquarium. On the 20th, we'll head to Waterloo for 9:am train to Hampton Court.  There, our niece will be meeting us and store luggage in her car. After the Palace tour, we'll head to Southbourne for two nights. On Sunday morning, we'll go to Southampton via the Forest,  stopping for cream tea. 

Crossing via the Azores is interesting because most fall storms originate off the coast of Africa. 

Upon arrival in FL, we'll head to the Hyatt for one night, thus avoiding the need for a connecting flight home late in the day. On the 3rd, we can catch the early non-stop  flight to BOS.

Darcy