If You Could Have JUST One, What Would It Be For Favorite Port, Favorite Ship and Favorite Room?

amygutman

2 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

@amygutmanWe always stay at the waterfront Marriott. Ivars is good. we usually eat at the Hook and Plow   restaurant in Marriott, if we don't want fish. Everywhere is pretty expensive. 

Breakfast at Hook and Plow

When we stay at that Marriott we enjoy the breakfast next door at Cafe Opla in the World Trade Center.

Edited by The Traveling Man
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 I guess you looked like a swinger🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ya know....I never even thought about that until you just mentioned it.

I need me some pineapple stickers.  

Seriously, I was more embarrassed for him and her than for me.  

I sort of wondered if she knew he was showing me the pictures as the wife wasn't sitting near us when this was transpiring.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

Now I really do feel out of the loop....what are these pineapple stickers you speak of...or shouldn't I ask? 😏

I'm not in that sphere.  And, I can only go by what I read here at Cruise Critic.

So, apparently if you put upside down pineapple stickers on your cabin door, it means you're a swinger.

Now, how that works is a bit of a mystery to me.  Do you knock on the cabin door and tell whomever answers that you're there for the "swinger party"?  Or, do you wait until you see someone leave the cabin and then go in and take their place?

I dunno?

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I'm not in that sphere.  And, I can only go by what I read here at Cruise Critic.

So, apparently if you put upside down pineapple stickers on your cabin door, it means you're a swinger.

Now, how that works is a bit of a mystery to me.  Do you knock on the cabin door and tell whomever answers that you're there for the "swinger party"?  Or, do you wait until you see someone leave the cabin and then go in and take their place?

I dunno?

I always knew that some people liked to put stickers of some sort on their cabin doors (presumably to help them find their cabin) I never knew about the pineapple sticker thing though...presumably where *everyone* can find that cabin. Alllriiiiiightyy then! 🤣

Edited by Red-Sol
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, amygutman said:

Naples is on our bucket list too!!!

Thank you!

Naples! Been there 15 times or more and always find something to see. Even the city just love it❤️

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum are also fantastic.

BTW, if you have on demand and the National Geographic Channel, be sure to watch A Small Light. It is about the Frank family and the people who hid them.

Agree with these recommendations. Will add doing one of the canal cruises at dusk/evening. You will definitely like the Anne Frank House.

• Thanks 1

Port - Toss up between Bermuda and Tortola 

Ship - I’ve only been on one NCL ship, and while the Getaway was a lovely ship, my favorite was the Oasis of the Seas.

Cabin - I have to go with the deluxe balcony in the yacht club on MSC’s Seaside. It was the biggest cabin and baloney we’ve ever had. ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Cabin - I have to go with the deluxe balcony in the yacht club on MSC’s Seaside. It was the biggest cabin and baloney we’ve ever had. ❤️ 

I might have to try that just for the huge baloney.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, chillyw said:

I might have to try that just for the huge baloney.

I wouldn’t call it huge, but it was much larger than typical balconies. The yacht club rocks!  We spoke to a lot of people that preferred it over the haven and retreat. Can’t wait to do it again!!  Next summer we’re doing the NCL Pearl followed by the MSC World Europa. I’m sure my answer for favorite port will change!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I wouldn’t call it huge, but it was much larger than typical balconies. The yacht club rocks!  We spoke to a lot of people that preferred it over the haven and retreat. Can’t wait to do it again!!  Next summer we’re doing the NCL Pearl followed by the MSC World Europa. I’m sure my answer for favorite port will change!  

I've only ever done Haven of those three, but those YC cabins do look awesome.

11 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Melbourne, Australia

Bliss

Garden Villa on the Dawn or Star

Yes, I know that these three are mutually exclusive, although the Star did visit Melbourne in February 2017.  The Bliss has never been to Australia and the Garden Villa stateroom isn't the same on any other ships.

Australia...ya know...sounds wonderful except it seems all of the wildlife wants you dead. 😆

Now - a Garden Villa is something to dream about as well!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Port: New York City. I know many people only consider this an area to sail out of but to me the view of the Skyline on the left, Statue of Liberty on the right, and sailing under the Verrazzano Bridge and finally out into the open ocean can't be beat!

Ship: Tie between Escape and Bliss

Cabin: Aft Balcony viewing the wake..which can be mesmerizing.

That sailaway from the harbor always chokes me up too. It amazing. 

image.thumb.png.4de9908aba51afa3160f88533fa51c5c.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

@amygutmanWe always stay at the waterfront Marriott. Ivars is good. we usually eat at the Hook and Plow   restaurant in Marriott, if we don't want fish. Everywhere is pretty expensive. 

Breakfast at Hook and Plow

Dinner at Hook and Plow Lasagna and Chicken Marsala

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_E2451 (2).JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

Wow! Looks amazing...now we may have to stay longer just to eat at all of the recommended restaurants. 

9 hours ago, vacation44 said:

Port:  Any port in Bermuda (have docked at The Dockyards, Hamilton and St. George)

Ship:  Escape

Cabin:   Haven Penthouse Suite on the Joy

Note:   We have only sailed on the larger ships for the past couple of years and have only done the Caribbean and Bermuda runs.  However, we are sailing a smaller ship (the Jewel) taking our first Alaskan cruise next month so maybe our favorites will change.

Any port in Bermuda sounds like heaven to us!

9 hours ago, justhappy said:

We had to divert to Icy Strait due to the rockslide in Skagway last year. We walked the road into Hoonah Alaska and glad we did. The walk along the water is so beautiful and whales are often seen here. 
It is a town of mostly native Tlingit people 

and a rich history of its own if you strike up a conversation with a local.

Dont rule it out even if you don’t book an excursion for us it was still worth it.

Added some photos of the walk to Hoonah.

IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3594.jpeg

IMG_3592.jpeg

@justhappy Oh...that sky on that sea!!!

7 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Now I really do feel out of the loop....what are these pineapple stickers you speak of...or shouldn't I ask? 😏

@Red-Sol

Let's leave the explanation to cruisemummy 😄

https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/pineapple-on-a-cruise-ship-door-what-do-pineapples-mean-on-a-cruise/

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Port - Toss up between Bermuda and Tortola 

Ship - I’ve only been on one NCL ship, and while the Getaway was a lovely ship, my favorite was the Oasis of the Seas.

@NCteacherlovescruising Tortola! You know it's one of the only Caribbean ports so far mentioned on this thread. Which actually is interesting - the Caribbean is one of the most popular destinations by # ships / # cruisers but does not seem to be the most "favorite" according the the replies on this thread so far. 

I wonder what to make of that? Statistically it may be sample size. Perhaps due to the price of these cruises, the convenience (at least for North American residents), or something perhaps completely different?

16 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We were there in 2017 on a cruise celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary.

OOPS, that should be we were there in 2007 on cruise celebrating our 30th anniversary. My how time flies by. 

In 2017, we celebrated our 40th anniversary with a land trip in Central Europe, visiting Budapest, Vienna, and Prague,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, amygutman said:

@NCteacherlovescruising Tortola! You know it's one of the only Caribbean ports so far mentioned on this thread. Which actually is interesting - the Caribbean is one of the most popular destinations by # ships / # cruisers but does not seem to be the most "favorite" according the the replies on this thread so far. 

I wonder what to make of that? Statistically it may be sample size. Perhaps due to the price of these cruises, the convenience (at least for North American residents), or something perhaps completely different?

I have a feeling my answer will be different next year.  We are doing two cruises in Europe for our 30th anniversary. 😜

My guess is that cost and convenience are the main reasons why most of us do the Caribbean cruises so frequently. For me personally, the air is the main reason. I’m terrified of flying so we tend to cruise out of ports that we can drive to. I will have to be drugged up, legally of course, for those long flights next summer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

OOPS, that should be we were there in 2007 on cruise celebrating our 30th anniversary. My how time flies by. 

In 2017, we celebrated our 40th anniversary with a land trip in Central Europe, visiting Budapest, Vienna, and Prague,

Amazing!!!!! What a wonderful way to spend your anniversaries!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Amazing!!!!! What a wonderful way to spend your anniversaries!

Thank you. And our first cruise was actually on our 25th anniversary, a Western Mediterranean cruise.

Our 20th was the first we felt comfortable leaving our son alone, and we did an all inclusive in Jamaica, actually the one (that no longer exists) that was actually owned by native Jamaicans.

Our upcoming anniversary will be our 46th, and it will fall on a sea day between Norway and Iceland on the Prima.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Like 3