Drink package pricing clarification

heckofagator

Thinking about a last minute cruise this summer…..was quickly trying to find some info on the drink package pricing.

the Premium package appeared to be $109 a day, which seemed crazy to me as it would be over $1000 for a 10 day cruise.  Which is approaching the base price of the cruise.  Although its been a number of years since we’ve been on a ship.

i also know you can prepay before you leave for some discount, i just wasnt sure how much that discount was.

can anyone help clarify the actual pre-cruise discount price for the (alcohol) drink packages?

thanks!

This would only be my 2nd Celebrity cruise, so Captains Club tier is probably as low as you can get…unfortunately.  Let me see if i can verify.

edit to add….I’m not even Classic tier apparently.  Last Celebrity cruise 20 years ago must not be linked to my account.

Edited by heckofagator

They have sales at times, just had a 50% off on it a week ago.  It's hit or miss, but with your cruise being close in might not happen again.  Would look at how much doing the all inclusive route would be since that would also add in the tips.  

• Thanks 1

If you haven’t booked yet the AI pricing is generally a saving as it includes the daily gratuity ($17.50 or  $18 pp pd. ) basic Wi-Fi which you can’t buy and the Classic beverage package including the 20% gratuity on the package.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

If you haven’t booked yet the AI pricing is generally a saving as it includes the daily gratuity ($17.50 or  $18 pp pd. ) basic Wi-Fi which you can’t buy and the Classic beverage package including the 20% gratuity on the package.  

This^^^

• Thanks 1

The current pre-cruise rates showing for premium drink package is: $109 - 20% = 86.99

I agree the All-Included booking rate is probably the way to go, even if you plan to upgrade from the classic drinks package to premium ($20 per guest per day).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks for the thoughts all.

Unfortunate that we just missed the 50% off sale.  And I'm also a bit worried about the AI pricing but I guess we'll have to wait and see what it looks like in the app once we book.  I did see something about the AI package costing like $2000 in another thread (I had to look up what "AI" was) and I just dont know that I'd be able to stomach that cost, to be honest.

how does AI work when you have 2 people in the cabin?  Do they still force the other person to get the drink package if the other gets the AI package?

I do enjoy drinking on vacation and in the past from what I remember, these drink packages were always around $500 so it was just nice peace of mind not to have to worry everytime you went up to the bar.  But the $1000 price is giving me a bit of pause for some reason, that just seems like a lot of money.

also reading some other threads, I see a lot of people upgrading from classic to premium.  Did most of these people get the classic upgrade free as part of some promotion?  and then pre-cruise, they just pay the differences in the packages?

11 hours ago, heckofagator said:

Thinking about a last minute cruise this summer…..was quickly trying to find some info on the drink package pricing.

the Premium package appeared to be $109 a day, which seemed crazy to me as it would be over $1000 for a 10 day cruise.  Which is approaching the base price of the cruise.  Although its been a number of years since we’ve been on a ship.

i also know you can prepay before you leave for some discount, i just wasnt sure how much that discount was.

can anyone help clarify the actual pre-cruise discount price for the (alcohol) drink packages?

thanks!

Hi Gator,

AI is all included , gratuities, Classic drink package , and Wi-Fi.

You may wish to price this out if you have not booked yet.

If you get the classic package and get a premium drink , you only pay the difference in the price and the difference in the gratuity, usually a good way to go .

Hope it works out well for you , keep us posted. 👍🍀🚢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AI is not something you add after booking.  AI is a pricing decision you make when booking a cabin Concierge  class or below.

if you do a mock booking on the website go through and select a cabin then at the next screen you will select Cruise only or All Included.  The difference in fares can be around $ 100 +/- pp pd and for that difference you have paid the daily gratuity, got the Classic beverage package including tips on the drinks in the Classic pkg and the basic wi-fi.

Everyone on the booking must have the same AI or Cruise only.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

Unfortunate that we just missed the 50% off sale.  And I'm also a bit worried about the AI pricing but I guess we'll have to wait and 

how does AI work when you have 2 people in the cabin?  Do they still force the other person to get the drink package if the other gets the AI package?

you both must have the same.  Remember, it includes gratuities.  It isn’t possible for one person to choose gratuities and the other not!

I know the Drink Packages are really expensive but you may wish to do a little research.   Get the App and select a current cruise.   You will then be able to select any bar and see the bar menu and prices.

Consider your drinking habits and calculate what it would cost if you paid for drinks as you consumed them.      Many that only have a couple drinks per day find that it is more reasonable to not have a drink package (especially on a port intensive cruise) and pay as they go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, heckofagator said:

Unfortunate that we just missed the 50% off sale.  And I'm also a bit worried about the AI pricing but I guess we'll have to wait and see what it looks like in the app once we book.  I did see something about the AI package costing like $2000 in another thread (I had to look up what "AI" was) and I just dont know that I'd be able to stomach that cost, to be honest.

I do enjoy drinking on vacation and in the past from what I remember, these drink packages were always around $500 so it was just nice peace of mind not to have to worry everytime you went up to the bar.  But the $1000 price is giving me a bit of pause for some reason, that just seems like a lot of money.

As said by others, AI must be chosen at time of sailing and applies to both cruisers.  Even if you choose not to go the AI route, and choose to add a beverage package later, you will still have to buy it for everyone in the cabin (or zero-proof package for those under 21).  Some have reported getting that requirement waved due to medical or related issues, but it's a case by case basis.

34 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

Are the 50% sales site wide for everyone (announced anywhere?) or are they random and specific to a ship or sailing or something that you have to see in the app? 

In frequent maybe holidays but that was first I seen it at tha price for a while, they do have sales but definitely like others said compare the 2 costs AI vs cruise only and then just do the math with tips 18pp per day and the drink package purchased seperately also with the price you need to add 20% gratuity if you buy it piecemeal for the drink package

Edited by bikerunner

33 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

Are the 50% sales site wide for everyone (announced anywhere?) or are they random and specific to a ship or sailing or something that you have to see in the app? 

The recent   50% off sale hasn’t been a frequent occurrence.  That sale did not apply to all booking it seemed to apply to sailings in a select time frame.  Some of my booking were included others not in luddd.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

The recent   50% off sale hasn’t been a frequent occurrence.  That sale did not apply to all booking it seemed to apply to sailings in a select time frame.  Some of my booking were included others not in luddd.

Same with me, my December 2023 cruise on Reflection was included in the 50% off sale which I took advantage of, my April transatlantic on Ascent was not included so I have no drinks package currently.  If there's another good sale between now and my sail date I'll take advantage of it otherwise I'll just pay for drinks à la carte.

Last minute cruises sometimes have deeply discounted  cruise only fares but the AI fares are the same if not slightly higher than ones you can find when you book early.  This time last month I booked a Alaska cruise and while I missed the memorial day 50/40/30% drinks, internet and excursions I was able to get those on the 4th of July repeat.  I doubt there will be another sale with those discounts until possibly labor day or black friday/ thanksgiving.  Keep up with this forum and check on celebrity at least every few days to see if you can catch a sale.  Don't forget that not only do you have to pay for the beverage package for one passenger, you have to have the same package for both if you are in the same cabin.  In some cases with medical documentation you can get one classic or premium beverage package but you would minimally have to get the zero proof for the other passenger.  If the cost is much higher than what you would drink you  may want to consider for this cruise to forgo the package, Bring a 12 pack of assorted non alcoholic beverages and a decent bottle of wine for each adult and a la carte as you go.  It would likely be less than the $1800+ beverage package for 2.  Hopefully you were able to get $200-$600 in onboard credit that can go toward gratuities, internet  and some drinks.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 10:36 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Consider your drinking habits and calculate what it would cost if you paid for drinks as you consumed them.      Many that only have a couple drinks per day find that it is more reasonable to not have a drink package (especially on a port intensive cruise) and pay as they go.

This is what I always suggest as well.  If you only drink beer and/or only have 1-2 drinks per day, the package is not worth it.  If you're more like me and start the day with 2 mimosas at breakfast and continue from there, it usually (almost) pays for itself.  The ease of not having to sign for drinks is also a consideration.  Enjoy....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey gang, trying to get this booked, wife has been talking with Vacations To Go.  If I did the drink package, I was going to go in the room with my minor son so we didn't have to have my wife buy the alcohol drink package which doesn't make sense for her. 

So we asked about AI package with me and my son in a room and it's $1000 pp, regardless if he's drinking age or not.  Does that makes sense?  I figured a non drinker would bring down the AI price. 

Sales person says AI makes no sense for us as we're getting charged for a 2nd drinker either way regardless if I go on a room wirh my wife or one of my sons. 

Edited by heckofagator

2 hours ago, heckofagator said:

Hey gang, trying to get this booked, wife has been talking with Vacations To Go.  If I did the drink package, I was going to go in the room with my minor son so we didn't have to have my wife buy the alcohol drink package which doesn't make sense for her. 

So we asked about AI package with me and my son in a room and it's $1000 pp, regardless if he's drinking age or not.  Does that makes sense?  I figured a non drinker would bring down the AI price. 

Sales person says AI makes no sense for us as we're getting charged for a 2nd drinker either way regardless if I go on a room wirh my wife or one of my sons. 

With you booked with your son, you can now purchase a drink package for yourself in the cruise planner and it doesn't require the purchase of a zero proof package for him. Forget the AI as you've found out it's not worth it in your scenario. 

On 7/13/2023 at 5:32 PM, mitz18 said:

If you're more like me and start the day with 2 mimosas at breakfast and continue from there, it usually (almost) pays for itself.  The ease of not having to sign for drinks is also a consideration.  Enjoy....

Exactly the logic we used in deciding to go AI or not.  Even if we end up with a net "loss," for me it's the price of peace of mind not having to think about a running drink tab.

Speaking of mimosas, is there such a thing as fresh squeezed OJ other than at Spa Cafe?  Is it included with the premium package?

19 hours ago, Strongbox said:

If the upgrade from classic to premier is $20 it seems us Brits are getting ripped off at £18.70!.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the £18.70 amount includes the 20% gratuity and the $20 amount doesn’t.