Deployment 2025-26 booking season begins

I think there will be two markets. The young with credit cards looking for the big ships and entertainment and alcohol packages and us the dinosaurs paying with cash in the leaser ships wanting itineraries and decent food. It looks to me like they better be reasonable with the long term cruisers or they will lose a massive guaranteed base. This is the first time in over 20 cruises on Royal that I am looking at options. They are pricing themselves close to Oceana, Virgin and even Disney. They have entered a space of a lot of quality competition.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No different than lots of families with zero interest in sailing Radiance and vision class ships.  Even within the same brand they easily market to entirely different demographics.

Another reason we love Radiance and Vision class ships.  😉 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal is not looking at their traditional cruiser who has been spoiled by low cost vacations for years.  These new ships are being targeted to families who think nothing of spending that kind of money for a week at Disneyland for a week or a week on a Disney cruise.  

I agree, however the people that are going to spend Disney money are not going to be satisfied with the Royal Caribbean cut backs in food quality and once a day cabin service.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Vibe said:

I agree, however the people that are going to spend Disney money are not going to be satisfied with the Royal Caribbean cut backs in food quality and once a day cabin service.

Nor will they have to. Suites get their own dining room, 2 x day cabin services and more.

1 hour ago, tottenhamfc said:

I think there will be two markets. The young with credit cards looking for the big ships and entertainment and alcohol packages and us the dinosaurs paying with cash in the leaser ships wanting itineraries and decent food. It looks to me like they better be reasonable with the long term cruisers or they will lose a massive guaranteed base. This is the first time in over 20 cruises on Royal that I am looking at options. They are pricing themselves close to Oceana, Virgin and even Disney. They have entered a space of a lot of quality competition.

Not sure what cash/credit cards have to do with us. Savy seniors use cc for points to gain free hotel nights, airfare and other perks.

16 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Not sure what cash/credit cards have to do with us. Savy seniors use cc for points to gain free hotel nights, airfare and other perks.

But savvy seniors pay the balance off every month.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal is not looking at their traditional cruiser who has been spoiled by low cost vacations for years.  These new ships are being targeted to families who think nothing of spending that kind of money for a week at Disneyland for a week or a week on a Disney cruise.  

Yes, even what I paid for week at Orlando 5+ yrs ago was more then week on Star. Cost at Disney World now is double and I wouldnt pay for week on either today. People forget even when Royal started rolling out Mega Ships prices were way higher then the existing Ships. Then add to that demand is near record level there is no way there was ever going to be a deal to be had here

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ATG said:

But savvy seniors pay the balance off every month.

True, but most don't. "Baby Boomers have the second highest debt level among all adult generations carrying an average credit card balance of $6,747 and $25,812 in total non mortgage debt, behind only Gen X"

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Morecruisesplz said:

Nor will they have to. Suites get their own dining room, 2 x day cabin services and more.

What about the people that don’t book suites?

People that stay in non suite cabins on Disney get twice a day service and the regular dining is far superior.  
If Royal Caribbean wants to charge Disney rates they need to step it up.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

True, but most don't. "Baby Boomers have the second highest debt level among all adult generations carrying an average credit card balance of $6,747 and $25,812 in total non mortgage debt, behind only Gen X"

If you don’t have the cash to pay the balances when the bill arrives, don’t use your card.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vibe said:

People that stay in non suite cabins on Disney get twice a day service and the regular dining is far superior.  

Haven't cruise Disney in a while but my guess is that their prices are up also. A better comparison is MSC. Beautiful new ships, classic menus in MDR, ask for pasta with your steak... no problem, 2 x day cabin service. The only thing we missed were our 5 free D+ drinks, most of which we use for water.

35 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

They just dont get it. My kids included.

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Those can be very misleading numbers. At any given time I can have near that much CC “debt” even though it’s only current balances which I pay off every month. Travel card users often put their entire spending on points and miles cards, including gas, groceries utilities, insurance, auto repairs and drug stores. The other 25k can easily be an auto loan these days, or the remaining balance on two cars that are a year or two old. Gen Xer here, though to CC companies I’m a deadbeat because I don’t pay any interest 😂

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Blue Eyed Belfast Belle said:

No, Star of the Seas will not be on my agenda at these ridiculous prices! 🤯

But someone will pay it - a Fool and his money are easily parted as the saying goes!

They are marketing to people who are accustomed to buying things with installment payments.  It’s amazing how many people think if they can afford the monthly payment, they can buy it.  They do NOT consider the total cost, potential income decreases, or emergency spending requirements.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vibe said:

Why, you need to realise not everyone thinks the same or values the same things. If any Disney ship or Star were the same price I'm booking Star every day of the week.

4 hours ago, Morecruisesplz said:

If you don’t have the cash to pay the balances when the bill arrives, don’t use your card.

This is a very simple but valid point. But people want things NOW, not save for it later,  be it a car, a cruise or some other material thing. That is why 8 of 10 persons buy things on credit, not to get points or cashback (even if 100% claims that)

7 hours ago, tottenhamfc said:

Damn, I feel old now.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

As a European, I cannot understand how something like credit card debt exists. We get a bill for the credit card in the end of the month which has to be paid to get a zero balance.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, andreasfcb said:

As a European, I cannot understand how something like credit card debt exists. We get a bill for the credit card in the end of the month which has to be paid to get a zero balance.

I'm not sure you know what you are talking about.  Switzerland has the highest per capita consumer debt in the world.  

image.thumb.png.7e22e766bfb1d6b2f52c74ebbb4815dd.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, andreasfcb said:

No, also in Europe there are many Credit Cards where you can chose between paying the full balance or just a part in monthly installments plus interest. This is how they make money.

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Lots of people i know here in the UK have credit cards and lots have lots of debt on them. Most just pay the minimum fee each month rather than the full amount and with interest added monthly the debt rarely goes down. 

I wonder if @andreasfcb may be from Germany where debt is still widely regarded as shameful and credit cards are not very popular (although it’s slowly changing).

In fact the German word for debt, ‘schuld’, also means guilt. Cash is still king there.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 2