Water bottle Fill ups

barriechris

Yuck to all this. I've seen people filling up their bottles to the top so the water dispenser winds up IN the water in their bottle. How can they not see this if I can?? If they've been drinking from their bottle and they are topping it off, I want no part of those dispensers. This is why we buy bottled water and use that. We all have to make decisions that work for each of us. 

9 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

There is no way a water bottle is going to touch the inside of the dispenser (where the water flows) so if you don’t touch it with your clean cup, you’re good to go, if really worried about this, rinse the dispenser by letting a spoonful or so run out before you fill your glass.

People shove their bottles up so the dispenser in completely inside their opening and fill until the beverages overfill so full contact is made.  

I guess some people just need to worry to be happy. I don’t watch what others do and don’t worry about it. Never gotten sick on a cruise either. I worked in medical research and germs are not nearly as mobile as some would have you believe. Do what works for you and I’ll do what works for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I guess some people just need to worry to be happy. I don’t watch what others do and don’t worry about it. Never gotten sick on a cruise either. I worked in medical research and germs are not nearly as mobile as some would have you believe. Do what works for you and I’ll do what works for me. 

Not worried, just observant.  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 6:57 PM, 2wheelin said:

seriously!  This world is going to be filled with a bunch of people who have NO immune systems because they've used so much hand sanitizer and lysol to kill every living cell around them...  their bodies will have no chance of ever building up any immunities to germs.  I'm just waiting for the reports to come out about how eating hand sanitizer has harmed their organs (cuz if you have "washed" your hands with sanitizer before you eat, you ARE eating that hand sanitizer!)

on the subject of hand sanitizer, did you know that it DOESN'T kill all the germs?  Here's some info direct from the CDC's website!  WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE!

Hand Sanitizer and Wipes. Soap and water remove certain germs that hand sanitizers don't kill, including germs that cause diarrhea such as norovirus, Cryptosporidium, and Clostridioides difficile. Soap and water also remove harmful chemicals like pesticides and heavy metals.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

seriously!  This world is going to be filled with a bunch of people who have NO immune systems because they've used so much hand sanitizer and lysol to kill every living cell around them...  their bodies will have no chance of ever building up any immunities to germs.  I'm just waiting for the reports to come out about how eating hand sanitizer has harmed their organs (cuz if you have "washed" your hands with sanitizer before you eat, you ARE eating that hand sanitizer!)

on the subject of hand sanitizer, did you know that it DOESN'T kill all the germs?  Here's some info direct from the CDC's website!  WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE!

Hand Sanitizer and Wipes. Soap and water remove certain germs that hand sanitizers don't kill, including germs that cause diarrhea such as norovirus, Cryptosporidium, and Clostridioides difficile. Soap and water also remove harmful chemicals like pesticides and heavy metals.

I bought a pump bottle of hand sanitizer at the start of the pandemic. Still have some left I think. Not sure since I don’t know where it is. 🙂 I work in a hospital so was required to wear a mask for too long a time but never wore one where it was not required. And I avoided places they were required. We even changed churches. Had the first set of shots as required to keep my job (many did not) and haven’t been sick since before 2020.

You are right, people destroy their immunity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So who has the statistics on the number of people getting sick from these unhealthy water bottle fill ups?  If it is such a problem surely someone has researched a cause and effect from this type of action?

Edited by Potstech
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 5:57 PM, 2wheelin said:

Amen!  And we probably shouldn't mention what goes on in the kitchens of most restuarants.....😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anybody remember something called norovirus?? Here's a headline from just last week per CBS News, USA Today, CNN, Fox News, WebMD. etc.:  "Norovirus Cruise Ship Outbreaks Already Reach 10-Year High In 2023, At a Record - Setting Pace". Just want to remind everyone that there's a reason to be careful sharing serving utensils, using contaminated drink dispensers, and so on. Personally contracted norovirus on an upscale cruise line years ago. You think it won't happen to you, until it does. 

• Like 3

There are many proven ways to transmit norovirus.  Filling water bottles has never been one of them..Mostly bathroom transmission, food handling and contaminated  tables and railings.

Edited by Potstech

44 minutes ago, Potstech said:

There are many proven ways to transmit norovirus.  Filling water bottles has never been one of them..Mostly bathroom transmission, food handling and contaminated  tables and railings.

Like people who take their water bottles into the restrooms, don't wash their hands and go refill their bottles?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mar214 said:

Anybody remember something called norovirus?? Here's a headline from just last week per CBS News, USA Today, CNN, Fox News, WebMD. etc.:  "Norovirus Cruise Ship Outbreaks Already Reach 10-Year High In 2023, At a Record - Setting Pace". Just want to remind everyone that there's a reason to be careful sharing serving utensils, using contaminated drink dispensers, and so on. Personally contracted norovirus on an upscale cruise line years ago. You think it won't happen to you, until it does. 

Did the article associated with those headlines mention refilling water bottles at drink dispensers. Looks like that is your opinion?

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Like people who take their water bottles into the restrooms, don't wash their hands and go refill their bottles?

I have never seen anyone put their hands inside their water bottle and then touch the dispenser with it. Have you or is that pure speculation. Noro is not transmitted through oral secretions.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Did the article associated with those headlines mention refilling water bottles at drink dispensers. Looks like that is your opinion?

I have never seen anyone put their hands inside their water bottle and then touch the dispenser with it. Have you or is that pure speculation. Noro is not transmitted through oral secretions.

People pick up their water bottles by the spout all the time and germs are mobile.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

People pick up their water bottles by the spout all the time and germs are mobile.  

They are transmitted by touch. They don’t fly. And the spout (top) needs to be removed before water can be added to the bottle.

• Thanks 1

Per CDC website: 

You can get norovirus by:

Having direct contact with someone with norovirus, such as by caring for them, sharing food or eating utensils with them, or eating food handled by them.

Eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus.

Touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus and then putting your unwashed fingers in your mouth.

Just sharing information. No personal opinions or judging needed here. Everyone needs to decide for themselves how to try and stay healthy. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:16 PM, Potstech said:

How many lab studies have been done on filling water bottles? Passengers were not allowed to get their own drinks on one of my cruises earlier this year. They had to be served. and forget water bottles.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:02 PM, Elaine5715 said:

And how many people do that? And how many are thrn documented to have spread noro?

Edited by Potstech
  • Thanks 1

Who here has ever drank from a public water fountain? I have. People have probably had water go back into the dispenser directly from their mouth.

I never understood the extreme fear of using a refillable bottle at the station. Like I get not using a cup on the ones where you have a lever that every cup is touching. However, when there's a separate button that you use to press with the hand opposite of the cup, I don't see a problem. You're probably more likely to touch fecal matter on the button than you are to get noro. 

• Like 4

If you never clean a refillable bottle, you will eventually find things growing in and on it.

Obviously some cruisers don't practice good basic hygiene or there wouldn't be as many or as severe of outbreaks and passengers wouldn't have to be reminded to practice good basic hygiene. Over and over.

These days it is hard to find a garden hose that is rated for potable water. Makes you wonder what they are making them with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1