Help, first time Viking cruise. Need to decide on room

Thegumars8

We are booking our first Viking cruise-the Viking Sky 6/29/2024 to British Isles. My husband is a seasoned cruiser and I am not. We are debating DV1, PV1, Junior suite...we arent as worried about needing the extra space of the suite as we are about  getting excursions we want. I've read that if you aren't in at least the top 1/3 of room types,  you won't be able to get into excursions and dining (dining isn't our worry.) Can someone please help!! I can't imagine spending this kind of money and having to worry up until the time of boarding wether we will be able to actually see the things we want to see! Also, I want to book asap so any quick help would be greatly appreciated!!

29 minutes ago, Thegumars8 said:

We are booking our first Viking cruise-the Viking Sky 6/29/2024 to British Isles. My husband is a seasoned cruiser and I am not. We are debating DV1, PV1, Junior suite...we arent as worried about needing the extra space of the suite as we are about  getting excursions we want. I've read that if you aren't in at least the top 1/3 of room types,  you won't be able to get into excursions and dining (dining isn't our worry.) Can someone please help!! I can't imagine spending this kind of money and having to worry up until the time of boarding wether we will be able to actually see the things we want to see! Also, I want to book asap so any quick help would be greatly appreciated!!

If cost is not an issue, go with the Penthouse Junior Suite or PV.  All PVs are the same as far as booking excursions and specialty restaurants are the same. PV1, PV2, PV3 are all the same - only difference is location on the ship.  I would not worry so much about specialty dining reservations unless you are really picky about when you want to dine.

I wouldn't worry about excursion booking either.  This is a manufactured "perk" for Viking.  We always book DV cabins and have never had issues getting what we want.  If not available to pre book it will probably get worked out by the excellent staff once onboard.  And the British Isles cruise would be very easy to book private tours if you chose to.

39 minutes ago, Thegumars8 said:

You won’t have a problem with the PV or PJS. We have been in both. DV may be difficult for the most “popular” optional excursions, but you can usually work with a Guest Services person on board to get you a spot. With a PV you get liquor/wine/ soft drinks replaced daily and with the PJS you also get free laundry included. Decisions, decisions, decisions, etc. No matter which you choose you will enjoy an outstanding trip!

• Like 1

Not sure where you’re reading this, but don’t worry.  We always book a DV cabin and have no problem booking excursions (67 days out).  As Jim mentioned above, you are free to book private excursions.  Booking dinners are no problem.  Reserve whichever cabin you want, once onboard everyone is treated well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I wouldn't worry about excursion booking either.  This is a manufactured "perk" for Viking.  We always book DV cabins and have never had issues getting what we want.  If not available to pre book it will probably get worked out by the excellent staff once onboard.  And the British Isles cruise would be very easy to book private tours if you chose to.

I agree - we’re in a DV cabin & our excursions opened up last Saturday for our cruise in September, we got what we wanted - granted, we didn’t book non-included excursions for every port but there seemed to be availability. 

Looking at booking on Octantis and was also concerned that if I don’t book a penthouse,  I will miss out on the sub and perhaps other excursions in Antarctic and the Faulklands.  Do the comments above apply to these cruises, also? 

8 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

Looking at booking on Octantis and was also concerned that if I don’t book a penthouse,  I will miss out on the sub and perhaps other excursions in Antarctic and the Faulklands.  Do the comments above apply to these cruises, also? 

We did the Antarctic Explorer in a DN3 (Nordic Balcony) cabin on Octantis.  When we pre-booked excursions it was just a place holder that you were interested in zodiacs, special ops boats, kayaks, or subs.  They were assigned once on board.  There were also waiting lists.  We got everything we wanted and it appeared that everyone else did too.  Great trip.  No worries.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

We did the Antarctic Explorer in a DN3 (Nordic Balcony) cabin on Octantis.  When we pre-booked excursions it was just a place holder that you were interested in zodiacs, special ops boats, kayaks, or subs.  They were assigned once on board.  There were also waiting lists.  We got everything we wanted and it appeared that everyone else did too.  Great trip.  No worries.

Did you end up on the waiting lists for anything?  How many times did you get to land?  

2 hours ago, Thegumars8 said:

We just finished our 8th Viking Ocean cruise (where I heard about this forum!).  We really enjoy their aft ES category.  If you're worried about being able to book all your desired excursions, ES passengers choose second (after the Owners Suite).  There are also DVs at the aft.  The views are amazing.  We have also stayed a couple of times in a PS and once in a PV.  The PS is much more roomy that a PV.  If you choose a PV, you have to be careful about location because photo opportunities under the World Cafe are limited because the balcony is covered.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

Did you end up on the waiting lists for anything?  How many times did you get to land?  

We landed four times in Antarctica.  It was amazing being just a few feet away from penguins and seals.  One day we ran into a ton of ice flows so the Captain announced it wouldn’t be possible to land that day.  We were disappointed but about an hour later he told us they would launch the zodiacs to cruise around the ice.  It turned out to be one of the best days as we floated around the icebergs, seals, and whales, very cool.  Great photos.

Our days were full so didn’t need to get on any of the wait lists.  We talked to a couple who did (some people cancelled or didn’t show up), and they were able to go out multiple times a day.

• Thanks 1

PJS is really nice: extra room everywhere (including shower) - two sinks - extra TV so you don't have to sit on the bed and/or crane your neck (very welcome) - "free" laundry - etc. Whether the extra cost is worth it is your call.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

I suspect that you won't have issues with booking the sub excursions now that Viking is charging $499 pp for those that booked their cruise after 4/1/23. At that price point, I would think demand may drop a bit. That said, sub outings were available on a same day basis on our recent Great Lakes cruise. At boarding they were all booked but freed up as the cruise went on. It may however be related to reports from participants that they didn't see anything. For the Great Lakes it sounds like it's only a check the box for having been in a submarine. I do not have firsthand experience and report what fellow pax told me.

We were on the British Isles Explorer cruise last month in a DV2. We were on a waiting list for the London Monuments excursion and unfortunately never were added to it.  We did very much enjoy Greenwich though. You will love this cruise!

4 minutes ago, Ceegeefl said:

We were on the British Isles Explorer cruise last month in a DV2. We were on a waiting list for the London Monuments excursion and unfortunately never were added to it.  We did very much enjoy Greenwich though. You will love this cruise!

Would you have been able to book a private excursion to see this same thing?

21 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

I’m not so sure the Great Lakes are known for diving, at least that has never been on my radar are a certified diver.  I’m hoping to see jelly fish in Antarctic!   

My husband and kids have been diving in the Great Lakes; usually around shipwrecks.  Of course, the time of year would be important!

16 hours ago, Thegumars8 said:

Would you have been able to book a private excursion to see this same thing?

I really don't know as I never looked. I really thought there was a good chance we would have been added to this excursion since we had good 

luck being  added to an excursion that was sold out on our Viking cruise last year.

I am actually thinking we may book our own excursions anyways-which makes me wonder if we are crazy to pay for Viking. We are 48/55 years old, bodybuilders and very very active. I have read that Viking excursions are heavily bus tours with minimal walking-this is NOT going to work for us. While we love the idea of the age /maturity/laid back vibe of Viking and the luxury (and money isn't a big issue) , we don't love excursions that aren't active.

I believe, depending on the itinerary - there are options for hiking, bike riding, kayaking, etc. but I am sure, just like most tours of any kind, not completely inclusive of all the sites you might want to see.

• Like 1

Just now, Thegumars8 said:

I am actually thinking we may book our own excursions anyways-which makes me wonder if we are crazy to pay for Viking. We are 48/55 years old, bodybuilders and very very active. I have read that Viking excursions are heavily bus tours with minimal walking-this is NOT going to work for us. While we love the idea of the age /maturity/laid back vibe of Viking and the luxury (and money isn't a big issue) , we don't love excursions that aren't active.

On our recent Scenic Scandinavia, the included tour was a walking tour in six of our ports, iirc. We took three and did our own thing in the other three. Two of the other ports had a panoramic (the bus tour), and ne just had one stop, but a nice one. The other had three stops, all good, for three totally different reasons.

There are often shuttles into “town”, which help get you started. We had no trouble being on the first bus, for the two where it was useful. In fact, if you attend the port/shore excursion talk (or watch it on t.v.), it can help you solidify or tweak your plans.

There’s much more to Viking than an included tour every day.

Check out the other differences between stateroom categories, be sure you understand what is and isn’t included in your cruise price, and compare other lines, if that will help you decide. And have FUN … deciding, planning, cruising!