Do I need a passport or not

Knickearth

This point keeps getting lost... It's one question about what a cruise line will or will not allow you to board the ship with.... It's an entirely different question what happens when something goes wrong and now you need to fly home.

And it can be things entirely out of your control. The normal case is simple accident/illness lands you in hospital. But what happens if there is a fire on the cruise ship while in the foreign port? Something that cancels the rest of the cruise.

Now you are stuck on land in a foreign country with minimal documentation.

The cruise line's help here is often very marginal, sometimes not even help with booking flights/hotels. You are on your own, and in many common cruise countries doing this is very difficult without a valid passport.

2 hours ago, mrmoviezombie said:

Now you are stuck on land in a foreign country with minimal documentation.

This is probably why Princess requires us to have a passport in many situations where the countries you go to don't require it just to do excursions when the ship is in port.

On 7/17/2023 at 8:55 AM, broberts said:

US citizens cannot be denied entry into the US.

The need to prove, however, they are US citizens.  The US accepts a Federal compliant photo ID.  Note many driver's licenses are not compliant.   Mine says clearly- NOT FOR FEDERAL ID.

Not having appropriate ID might cause a hassle. 

Get sick and disembark you cannot fly without a passport.  Long drive to the US

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

12 minutes ago, mrmoviezombie said:

US citizenship not a right to fly in a plane to the US.

I didn't say US citizens have a right to fly the US from other countries.  Was another poster.  There are several rules that could prevent a person from flying.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

On 7/16/2023 at 12:46 PM, Knickearth said:

We are doing the ten day r/t San Francisco to Alaska in a month.  When we return it will be just six months til it expires.  The only foreign port is Rupert island in Canada.  Can I travel with just the real I’d drivers license or do I need my passport?  Thanks for any help

So, Canada doesn’t require the six months validity for US citizens at the completion of your cruise.  Take your passport and all will be fine,  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TxChick51 said:

Our TA advised best to have a passport book on any cruise.  You never know if an emergency, medical or otherwise, forces you to be flown back into the US. Fly in always requires a passport.

You've got that right. If you leave the ship anything other than a passport book is worthless. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My rule of thumb is to start with official government web sites. Only then consult cruise line requirements. The later only apply if more restrictive.

From https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative#:~:text=U.S. citizens can present a valid%3A U.S. Passport%3B Passport Card,maritime business%3B or Form I- I added the bolding.

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

Obviously the last sentence is a misguided assumption that companies are as diligent as the government.

• Like 2