Do I need a passport or not

Knickearth

23 hours ago, ldubs said:

If without a passport and I missed the ship I would contact the port agent as a first step for guidance.  If I was put off due to a medical issue, I think my status would be pretty clear.  Granted, might need to jump thru a hoop or two.   

And who knows how long that would take, especially if your sick. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

My son just went by car to Canada with this same situation (less than 6 month expiry) and he was able to get into Canada and return to the USA no problem

Car is one thing plane is another 

10 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

A passport is required to board a flight to the US from Canada unless they have a Nexus card https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3618?language=en_US

IMG_7275.thumb.jpeg.284c60a8d09eba9b8679236ac68e2743.jpeg

A I have stated in previous posts, a) on the itinerary under discussion flying is not required, and b) exceptions can be granted in emergency situations. 

It is unreasonable to insist that a US citizen would not be able to repatriate by air simply because she did not have a passport. Some hoop jumping may be required, but it can be accomplished.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, broberts said:

I'm all for travelling with a passport when out of the country. I even use it when flying in country. I just believe people should not be scared into getting documents they may only ever use once. 

But this poster says they have a valid passport. Why in the world would you disagree with the advice they have received to bring it?

• Like 2

Just now, broberts said:

A I have stated in previous posts, a) on the itinerary under discussion flying is not required, and b) exceptions can be granted in emergency situations. 

It is unreasonable to insist that a US citizen would not be able to repatriate by air simply because she did not have a passport. Some hoop jumping may be required, but it can be accomplished.

The hoop jumping involves getting a passport.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

But this poster says they have a valid passport. Why in the world would you disagree with the advice they have received to bring it?

I wasn't disagreeing with that advice. I was simply pointing out that using it for the itinerary was not strictly necessary.

5 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

The hoop jumping involves getting a passport.

Not necessarily. A call to the emergency number of the US Consulate in Vancouver will establish what is actually required. US Preclearance at YVR suggests there may be some non passport options.

36 minutes ago, broberts said:
46 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I wasn't disagreeing with that advice. I was simply pointing out that using it for the itinerary was not strictly necessary.

As others have pointed out, we don’t have enough information to know that. For example, if they are traveling alone with a minor, both individuals would need a passport to board the ship

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Not necessarily. A call to the emergency number of the US Consulate in Vancouver will establish what is actually required. US Preclearance at YVR suggests there may be some non passport options.

And you really want to do all of that, and jump through all of those hoops when you or a family member is ill or injured and needs to get back to the US? I don’t think so. See post #28.

11 hours ago, broberts said:

It is unreasonable to insist that a US citizen would not be able to repatriate by air simply because she did not have a passport.

The US border guards are not impressed by arguments about what is or is not "reasonable", they follow their policies.

We really should have the list of people who discovered the hard way that you have to spend days paying out of pocket in foreign countries/hospitals trying to get the emergency passport so they be flown back to the US.

As with everything in life, there are best and worst case scenarios, choose what you want and take your own risks...especially in this case, one's action of having a passport or not won't affect anyone other than oneself.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

As with everything in life, there are best and worst case scenarios, choose what you want and take your own risks...especially in this case, one's action of having a passport or not won't affect anyone other than oneself.

Well said!  Life is so full of personal risks 

We recently took that risk of traveling with our birth certificates and Real ID, as our furthest foreign port was Ensenada.  Thankfully, we didn’t  have any problems.  I would also be comfortable with a call to Vancouver or Victoria.  We recently got our passport renewals but was probably going to take the risk by going to Prince Rupert next month if we didn’t get our new passports in time.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, kemenmanuals2 said:

For a ten-day round-trip cruise from San Francisco to Alaska with a stop at Rupert Island in Canada, having a valid driver's license should typically suffice for your journey. 

A valid drivers license alone is not sufficient.  An original birth certificate is also required at a minimum.  It is at the cruise line’s discretion to require passports instead of the minimum requirement.

3 hours ago, kemenmanuals2 said:

For a ten-day round-trip cruise from San Francisco to Alaska with a stop at Rupert Island in Canada, having a valid driver's license should typically suffice for your journey. This is especially true if you don't plan on disembarking and staying in Canada for an extended period. However, it's always a smart move to double-check with your cruise line and review their specific ID requirements. Rules can vary slightly from one cruise company to another, and it's essential to ensure you have the necessary documents. While you're sorting out your travel details, it's worth mentioning that when it comes to online safety, using virtual fake IDs is a recommended approach. Protecting yourself from online scammers is crucial, as it simplifies all the ID paperwork in the future.

The OP posted in July and was sailing ‘in a month’.  Long gone.  EM

• Like 1

"For a ten-day round-trip cruise from San Francisco to Alaska with a stop at Rupert Island in Canada, having a valid driver's license should typically suffice for your journey."

This thread is very old. For kemenmanuals' information what was mentioned is not sufficient for sea travel. Suggest a review of the CBPs's WHITI requirements for sea travel. Also suggest review of the cruise line's requirements which can require additional documentation specifically when one adult is traveling with a minor. In all cases requirements remain the same no matter if the passenger gets off or stays on the vessel at a port of call. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The OP posted in July and was sailing ‘in a month’.  Long gone.  EM

@Knickearth has been active on the boards since starting this thread.  It would be nice to know what happened when they tried to board without a passport.  It would be helpful to others to know what documents allowed them on to the ship.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, kemenmanuals2 said:

For a ten-day round-trip cruise from San Francisco to Alaska with a stop at Rupert Island in Canada, having a valid driver's license should typically suffice for your journey. This is especially true if you don't plan on disembarking and staying in Canada for an extended period. However, it's always a smart move to double-check with your cruise line and review their specific ID requirements. Rules can vary slightly from one cruise company to another, and it's essential to ensure you have the necessary documents. While you're sorting out your travel details, it's worth mentioning that when it comes to online safety, using virtual fake IDs is a recommended approach. Protecting yourself from online scammers is crucial, as it simplifies all the ID paperwork in the future.

Proof of citizenship is always required. Unless it is an enhanced DL, proving you are licensed to drive will not get you onto the ship. 

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

Proof of citizenship is always required. Unless it is an enhanced DL, proving you are licensed to drive will not get you onto the ship. 

Documentation to prove who you are is required but we’ve cruised with a certified copy of our birth certificates and our regular driver license has worked for us out of San Francisco on a closed looped cruise.  We are US citizens.  

I fully understand that it is expensive, time consuming and a real hassle for most to get a passport (unless you live in a city that has an actual passport office)...but if you have committed to travel why would you not make it as easy as possible and just get a passport?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I fully understand that it is expensive, time consuming and a real hassle for most to get a passport (unless you live in a city that has an actual passport office)...but if you have committed to travel why would you not make it as easy as possible and just get a passport?

I am thinking that probably was not directed at me but even if it was, there are reasons for not having a passport if it’s not required.  
We only used our alternative documentation because our passport was out for processing at the time.  But, in cases like my sister, she’s never had a passport and probably wouldn’t want to spend the money on it as they don’t travel into countries where it is required.  I completely understand that reasoning and the risk of having to get across to the US in a port near the border is low.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

19 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Documentation to prove who you are is required but we’ve cruised with a certified copy of our birth certificates and our regular driver license has worked for us out of San Francisco on a closed looped cruise.  We are US citizens.  

Your birth certificate, assuming it’s from a location in the United Stares, is proof of citizenship. US citizens born outside the US would need a different document. You can see Princess’s document requirements here 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise

4 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Your birth certificate, assuming it’s from a location in the United Stares, is proof of citizenship. US citizens born outside the US would need a different document. You can see Princess’s document requirements here 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise

Yea, we were born in the US.  And that is why I noted we were US citizens but now that we’ve cleared that up, the birth certificates and any government issued picture ID worked for us.  
I did take my marriage license along as I changed my name and they said they didn’t need it.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yea, we were born in the US.  And that is why I noted we were US citizens but now that we’ve cleared that up, the birth certificates and any government issued picture ID worked for us.  
I did take my marriage license along as I changed my name and they said they didn’t need it.  

You’re right, US citizens born in the United States can use a birth certificate as proof of citizenship. That isn’t true for all US citizens though.

Princess also has some specific rules requiring passports for an individual adults traveling with minors. It’s important to check document requirements.

• Like 1