Do I need a passport or not

Knickearth

We are doing the ten day r/t San Francisco to Alaska in a month.  When we return it will be just six months til it expires.  The only foreign port is Rupert island in Canada.  Can I travel with just the real I’d drivers license or do I need my passport?  Thanks for any help

15 minutes ago, Knickearth said:

We are doing the ten day r/t San Francisco to Alaska in a month.  When we return it will be just six months til it expires.  The only foreign port is Rupert island in Canada.  Can I travel with just the real I’d drivers license or do I need my passport?  Thanks for any help

Yes, you can do this cruise without a passport if you are a U.S. citizen.  You will need a certified copy of your birth certificate as well as a government issued ID, such as a driver license, real ID or passport card, etc.  

your Real ID alone will not be sufficient.  

from the Princess website under FAQs 

image.thumb.png.2627b15903c7029a5c12f093c25193ff.png

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 2

The six-month before expiration passport rule is to enter some but not all foreign countries.

I'm not sure Canada is one of those countries. The US State Department web-site should give you more specifics.

As long as your passport isn't expired, you can use it to get back into the USA, there's no six-month rule for that.

So, you should be able to still use your passport for this particular sailing. However if not wanting to take your passport for other reasons (like sending it out for renewal), yes, you can use a certified birth certificate and a government-issued ID.

Edited by beg3yrs
  • Like 2

Assuming you are a U.S. citizen.

You say your passport will have 6 months validity at the time of sailing. If your passport is valid at the time of sailing I don't see why you are can not use it. 

You can also travel with an original certified birth certificate, one that is issued by the local government authorities where you were born and has an original stamp or embossment AND a government issued photo ID. Real ID has no meaning other than being another form of government issued ID.  

We just got back from very similar cruise (SEA-SEA  Alaska) with only stop in Victoria to meet requirement of stop outside US. I posed the same question since my DW passport in process of renewal and not available. Lots of doom and gloom from this site!!! She travelled with ordinary DL (not enhanced) and certified copy of birth certificate. When we disembarked today in Seattle, the folks at Border Control took one look at her DL and waved her through. Easy Peasy.!! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

i think you have the answer that you can do it.  personally what i would do in your situation is bring my passport and my birth certificate.  I think you will be fine on a  closed loop cruise.and don't forget to renew your passport when you get back.

i'm going in august, and my passport expired next year, so i will look to renew after cruise because i travel to canada and uk for work.

Suppose you or one of your traveling party become ill while in Canada and must return to the US (assuming you are a US citizen). Or must return for any one of a number of other reasons. 

How would you accomplish your return to the US  without a passport?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Knickearth said:

If you're traveling with children and the only adult, you'll need a passport. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

Take your passport.  If you check the State Department's website for country specific information you will discover that Canada only requires that your passport be "valid at time of entry" (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html). Of course you will also need it to be valid at re-entry into the united States.

• Like 2

Don’t listen to the mis-information. YES you will be fine with ID and an original or certified copy of birth certificate. I came off the Discovery Princess today SEA to SEA with a stop in Victoria and some friends of ours only had this for all 5 members of the family without a second glance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cinsu said:

Don’t listen to the mis-information. YES you will be fine with ID and an original or certified copy of birth certificate. I came off the Discovery Princess today SEA to SEA with a stop in Victoria and some friends of ours only had this for all 5 members of the family without a second glance.

But the OP has a valid US passport that meets the criteria for entry into both countries (i.e., it isn't expired).   Why should he/she take an original birth certificate (and driver's license) instead?

• Thanks 1

Document requirements depend on your nationality, itinerary, and other factors. For example, if you are one adult traveling with one or more minors, everyone in your party needs a passport.

You can see Princess’ Travel Document requirements here 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

But the OP has a valid US passport that meets the criteria for entry into both countries (i.e., it isn't expired).   Why should he/she take an original birth certificate (and driver's license) instead?

The answer to the OPs question is that they can travel with ID and birth certificate. I’m not suggesting preference one way or another, only answering the question and trying to dispel false information.

Edited by cinsu

Just now, cinsu said:

The answer to the OPs question is that they can travel with ID and birth certificate. I’m not suggesting preference one way or another, only answering the question.

The OP's concern is that their passport will have just under 6 months of validity remaining. "When we return it (the passport) will be just six months til it expires."

Canada does not have that requirement. So the current passport is fine to use.  After all, he/she paid for it; why not use it?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cinsu said:

The answer to the OPs question is that they can travel with ID and birth certificate. I’m not suggesting preference one way or another, only answering the question and trying to dispel false information.

The poster may very well need a passport. For example, if they are traveling alone with a minor or plan certain excursions, passports are required.

54 minutes ago, cinsu said:

Misinformation?
Simply because something CAN be doesn’t mean it SHOULD be done. 

OP needs to make their own risk tolerance assessment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skynight said:

OP did not mention if they have a U.S. passport, a most important consideration. A passport from a country other than the U.S. can and most likely will have different rules. 

And it appears the OP is one and done. 

17 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Suppose you or one of your traveling party become ill while in Canada and must return to the US (assuming you are a US citizen). Or must return for any one of a number of other reasons. 

US citizens cannot be denied entry into the US.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cinsu said:

Scratching my head.  What false information or misinformation are you talking about?      

18 hours ago, Bgwest said:

21 minutes ago, broberts said:

If without a passport and I missed the ship I would contact the port agent as a first step for guidance.  If I was put off due to a medical issue, I think my status would be pretty clear.  Granted, might need to jump thru a hoop or two.   

We considered cruise to Alaska from Seattle R/T without passports, but our TA advised it was good to have in event of an emergency (ie medical in Victoria, BC).  If we had to fly back into US, we would have to have a valid passport. Also, one of the White Pass Railway/coach excursions (train to White Pass Summit, returning via coach rather than train) required a passport to book.  Nonetheless, we went ahead and got our passports. Then we’ll have for any future adventures outside the US. Maybe the Caribbean next time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broberts said:

You cannot get on a plane from a foreign country to the US without a passport. An American birth certificate is not going to impress security in a lot of countries 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, memoak said:

You cannot get on a plane from a foreign country to the US without a passport. An American birth certificate is not going to impress security in a lot of countries 

In a medical emergency exceptions can and are made. Otherwise one can get from Prince Rupert, the Canadian port I believe, to a US airport using marine and land transportation.

I'm all for travelling with a passport when out of the country. I even use it when flying in country. I just believe people should not be scared into getting documents they may only ever use once.