Dinner attire on Greek cruise

On 7/17/2023 at 6:29 PM, CynBeth6 said:

We were recently on a Med cruise not to Greece and saw everything in the MDR from shorts and t-shirts to dresses and nice shirts and pants.

Same here. First RC since 2019 (Med) and I was surprised how many people were casually dressed for the evening. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 11:29 AM, CynBeth6 said:

We were recently on a Med cruise not to Greece and saw everything in the MDR from shorts and t-shirts to dresses and nice shirts and pants.

Wow!  So different than when we went in 2008!!!  Regular nights were business casual and up, formal nights were definitely formal!  Glad to know it's different now, because we prefer to no longer book the DH suitcoat...

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 1:40 PM, Joseph2017China said:

Just so you know, it is extremely rare to see an adult male, wearing shorts at dinner in Greece and many European countries.  

Also, the temperature has nothing to do with what to wear.....I'm wearing long pants and it is now in the upper 90's.  I have no issue with it.  

I'm pointing both items out, because on a USA based message board, you will always get the same answer and that is wear what you want.  

Personally, I follow the general local area and follow what is normal for the area out of a level of respect for local customs.  However, we all know, Caribbean wearing shorts etc is normal.  So I dress per local area, and not what a message board says.

Not true at all.  I just spent 22 days on Odyessy visiting many Greek islands.

There are no 'local customs' for Americans on any cruise.

Edited by steveru621
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Not true at all.  I just spent 22 days on Odyessy visiting many Greek islands.

There are no 'local customs' for Americans on any cruise.

There will always be local customs, traditions or routines you encounter when travelling. If you cruise out of my home country (UK)  there is nothing to say that you as Americans have to drink tea but a lot of us 'locals' will be 😄.

For us embracing a bit of the local way of doing things is part of the enjoyment of travel around the world. We visit the States probably 3-4 times a year and I'm sure if we didn't follow the local custom of tipping there would be considerable upset. Its totally alien to us in the UK but we accept and embrace it as part of the experience of travel.

Edited by Tin can
  • Like 2

Just finished up a cruise on Enchantment and at least this week with record Temps there were a lot of adult Greek men wearing shorts all hours of the day. Our luggage was and still us lost so I had to make due with 2 pairs of shorts and 3 shirts for the week, never had any problems other than the near impossibility of finding cloths in my size here.

• Like 1