BTimmer's Almost Live Land/Sea Alaska Cruise (7/23/23-8/25/23)

Btimmer

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Would you mind sharing the name of the charter transfer company and location of the Tukwila pick up? Thanks!!

We were never provided the name of the charter bus company.  Our pick up location was the Courtyard by Marriott on the West Valley Highway next to Embassy Suites.

Last year we used a commercial bus company to travel from Vancouver to Seattle and it was equally pleasant. Flix is the name.

• Thanks 1

Today we began our 2023 northbound voyage on the Noordam.  Our day was filled with a long bus ride, a long check in and border control process at Canada Place, excitement of a new cruiser, return to a familiar ship, and 15-20 minutes of sheer terror at the pool with our grandson.  All the details are in my daily blog and the link is:

https://timmer2023alaska.blogspot.com

IMG_4767.thumb.jpeg.f9cb595b9e4c68804b10309c26b6eb22.jpeg

IMG_4771.thumb.jpeg.5748743a15c10b1dec6c006500db9413.jpeg

IMG_4770.thumb.jpeg.7afc91b930752d26daa1f0d1a98232c6.jpeg

IMG_4772.thumb.jpeg.e9606fd36a3873c0f2835c9c8c7a7524.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Best wishes for a smooth trip from here on!  I'm so happy your grandson got unstuck and isn't injured.  What the heck is there to get stuck on?  I'm trying to imagine what it might be.  The pool ladder?

I spent 15 days on the Noordam in 2019 and really enjoyed the ship and with it being spiffed up a bit, I think it must still be very nice.  I love the size of the Vista ships.

~Nancy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

Best wishes for a smooth trip from here on!  I'm so happy your grandson got unstuck and isn't injured.  What the heck is there to get stuck on?  I'm trying to imagine what it might be.  The pool ladder?

I spent 15 days on the Noordam in 2019 and really enjoyed the ship and with it being spiffed up a bit, I think it must still be very nice.  I love the size of the Vista ships.

~Nancy

On the aft end of the aft pool there is a channel used to collect water.  It was under water due to Canadian regulations (not US regulations) and large enough for his bent leg to slip into and get jammed in as he attempted to get out of the pool.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

A few noticeable changes to the ship are:

1. BBKing is now the the Rolling Stone lounge and there are cute little tables.

2. Lincoln Center Stage is now the Explorer Lounge.

The ship is sailing pretty full and there are significant lines in the Lido and challenging to find seating.

• Like 1

Did they put a new library on the Noordam?  Love the new one on Eurodam.

No longer BB King, only Rolling Stone?

I am joining her in September.

Edited by fflyer
more questions

35 minutes ago, fflyer said:

There is a small library of books in the puzzle area in the crow's nest but nothing like the libraries of the past.

BBKING is totally gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Btimmer said:

On the aft end of the aft pool there is a channel used to collect water.  It was under water due to Canadian regulations (not US regulations) and large enough for his bent leg to slip into and get jammed in as he attempted to get out of the pool.

I appreciate you letting us know about the pool design so others with kids, and the ship crew, are aware of the possibility for this to happen.  People with larger legs probably would never encounter this issue, but obviously it's possible for smaller people!!!

Moving on to the fun stuff!!  Any whale sightings yet?  Does the band in the Rolling Stone Lounge play a good mix of types and eras of music?  I have always loved the BB King bands but the fact that they were limited to a set play list was not ideal.  I'm hoping the new, non-affiliated bands have more freedom to play what they like and are good at while keeping the guest's preferences in mind.  

I'm looking at a future Noordam cruise is why I'm asking so many questions!!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

2 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I appreciate you letting us know about the pool design so others with kids, and the ship crew, are aware of the possibility for this to happen.  People with larger legs probably would never encounter this issue, but obviously it's possible for smaller people!!!

Moving on to the fun stuff!!  Any whale sightings yet?

~Nancy

No whale sightings yet.

4 hours ago, fflyer said:

In March- April and just recently there were also books available in the Explorations Cafe area on deck 3 forward starboard.

Rolling Rock band plays pretty much a combination of rock and roll, soul, blues, Mowtown, etc.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

In March- April and just recently there were also books available in the Explorations Cafe area on deck 3 forward starboard.

Rolling Rock band plays pretty much a combination of rock and roll, soul, blues, Mowtown, etc.

Yes I saw a few books in the Explorations  Cafe today.

4 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Yes I saw a few books in the Explorations  Cafe today.

Have they added a separate library on 3 where one of the meeting rooms were? That's what they've done on some other ships, including the Eurodam. 

20230725_014347.jpg

20 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Have they added a separate library on 3 where one of the meeting rooms were? That's what they've done on some other ships, including the Eurodam. 

20230725_014347.jpg

No, but in that blank area to the right of the Hudson room they have installed the Explorations cafe and lots of tables towards the top of the blank area.  There are a few book shelves in that area with more in the Crow's Nest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3