Back on Queen Victoria

Victoria2

27 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Expanding their passenger base is not in itself a bad idea, but any changes or additional facilities unique to the new ship need to be very thoroughly communicated.

Most cruise lines today are operating a fairly wide variety of ships built over a 20-30 year span and what is offered on the newest is not always available on the older units of their fleet.

Communication is key as unrealistic expectations create disappointment.

What Cunard would do well to avoid is offering completely different experiences ship to ship, recall Cunard Crown Dynasty operating simultaneously with QE2 and Sagafjord……

And Seaborne was a Cunard company for a while, too.

39 minutes ago, NE John said:

You have the admit the QM2 has a nicer Aft vs either QV/QE! 
I need to get on QV though and a Norway trip looks perfect to do so. 

In desperation, to spend the obc we had left [rather a lot] part of my spends was on a model of the 'new' QV, It's now nose to nose in our sitting room, with the beautiful pre '17refit version.

Now I haven't made a point of looking at Mary's backside, but Victoria's 'plastic surgery' did her no favours whatsoever so you are probably right there.😄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Not sure which QV  zany panels but the ones I'm thinking of on deck two are Art Deco.

Never been in the lounge on QM2 and I was referring to the general ship ambiance for me and not any particular part of her.

Victorian decor to me is fussy.  but each to their own as is often said.

Our most favourite ship of all companies we have sailed is QM2 and with regards to other Cunard ships we prefer QE to QV unfortunately we can only sail on QV from Southampton currently.

11 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

OOOPs, sorry...not 😄

You are very welcome to your ship and many have to love her for her to be so popular. I'll stick to Aunt Tabitha's more up to date sitting room and leave the Great Aunts to you and those who love 'The Mary'. 😄

Mary 2.....We Love You.!

• Like 3

We have travelled nine times on the QM2 and four on the QE. We were hoping to finally get on board the QV next year for a Norway cruise but sadly that isn't going to happen. I have zero interest in the QA.

I can't say overall whether I prefer the QE or the QM2.  The "Mary" is great for crossings and can handle bumpy seas better than any ship we have been on. There are many aspects of the QE which to me are superior to any ship we have experienced: the Royal Court Theatre, the library, the Commodore Club and the Grand Lobby. 

We don't travel in the Grills all the time, but we find the public areas on the QE are way superior to those on the QM2.  The QM2 does have better staterooms in Princess Grill than those on the QE and, of course, there is a second lounge for the Grills passengers.  Also, even the cheapest QG staterooms on the QE have a separate shower, something lacking on the QM2 except for the small number of Q1 to Q4 suites. The Britannia Club staterooms that were added to the QM2 (Deck 13) in 2016 are considerably more attractive than the other Club cabins. For one thing, there is a glass door on the shower.

I have said to those who have asked me about our Cunard travels: if Cunard could combine the best of the QM2 and the best of the QE (and of course the QV) there would be a perfect ship.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2023 at 3:58 AM, Victoria2 said:

Interesting.

I call it elegant rather than of the Victorian era. Victorian to me is The Mary. 🙂

Oh, no, my dear. QM2 is all art deco. Very early 20th century. It's the era of the elegant designs of Erte, of Lalique's exquisite glass and the Chrysler Building's symmetry. It's really the last great style of design and Mary has it in spades.   

And by the way, I'm a great aunt many times over and  no one has ever accused me of being...comforting. I'm more likely to lead the kids on an adventure. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Aquadesiac said:

Oh, no, my dear. QM2 is all art deco. Very early 20th century. It's the era of the elegant designs of Erte, of Lalique's exquisite glass and the Chrysler Building's symmetry. It's really the last great style of design and Mary has it in spades.   

And by the way, I'm a great aunt many times over and  no one has ever accused me of being...comforting. I'm more likely to lead the kids on an adventure. 

Maybe I should have gone back another generation.

You call Mary elegant and with symmetry. To me the ship is fussy as a Victorian, notwithstanding the art decor interior. I call her fussy, you call her elegant and with symmetry, We won't agree.

Make that two generations as I forget which one I'm in! 😄

Edited by Victoria2