I know I'm an idiot....

But please clarify for me.  I booked an Alaskan cruise for next year but due to not getting some $ I was expecting, I'm considering canceling.    However, to fulfill our urge to go somewhere interesting AND celebrate our 15th anniversary (to a lesser $ extent) I was eyeing Greenland out of Boston.

Are they going to let me move all money I've paid thus far if I switch or am I out the deposit either way? 

Additionally, we'll be on Royal next week. If I'm out the deposit anyway, I'm probably better off doing a Next Cruise while on board.  So all that to say do I cancel outright or do I try to switch from one to the other?

Just a note to add that we'd do Greenland just the 2 of us (not dd since it's during school) and that trip would be CONSIDERABLY less. We'd have to drive to Boston but save on airfare, hotels precruise, and several thousand over the cruise cost alone. 

Edited by sadiwest
Spelling

1 minute ago, sadiwest said:

But please clarify for me.  I booked an Alaskan cruise for next year but due to not getting some $ I was expecting, I'm considering canceling.    However, to fulfill our urge to go somewhere interesting AND celebrate our 15th anniversary (to a lesser $ extent) I was eyeing Greenland out of Boston.

Are they going to let me move all money I've paid thus far if I switch or am I out the deposit either way? 

Additionally, we'll be on Royal next week. If I'm out the deposit anyway, I'm probably better off doing a Next Cruise while on board.  So all that to say do I cancel outright or do I try to switch from one to the other?

If you booked a non refundable deposit then there will be a $100pp fee to change ship and sail date regardless of when it was booked

As to whether you lose all of your deposit it depends.

If you booked after June 1, 2022 and you cancel you lose the entire deposit

If you booked prior to that then you have the $100 pp change fee and you get the rest of the deposit back as a FCC

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you booked a non refundable deposit then there will be a $100pp fee to change ship and sail date.

Genuinely don't recall. Would it specify in the emails I got somewhere? 

1 minute ago, sadiwest said:

Genuinely don't recall. Would it specify in the emails I got somewhere? 

Their system defaults to the non refundable deposit so unless you specified at the end of the booking process and paid a higher fare then you booked NRD.

After the line for the cruise fare you would see an NRD.  Also it will sayin the fine print at the bottom that this booking is subject to xxx penalty.

I did add to my response above

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you booked a non refundable deposit then there will be a $100pp fee to change ship and sail date regardless of when it was booked

As to whether you lose all of your deposit it depends.

If you booked after June 1, 2022 and you cancel you lose the entire deposit

If you booked prior to that then you have the $100 pp change fee and you get the rest of the deposit back as a FCC

Ok sorry I'm dense...I looked and it is non refundable.   If I cancel (since it's nearly a year early) I lose JUST the $200 or I'd have to make a change to keep all but the $200? I think I gave $750. 

Again asking because if I have to change or lose all $750 then I'll do it on the phone rather than Next Cruise.  

Can't call because dh is right here lol. 

Edited by sadiwest

43 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Ok sorry I'm dense...I looked and it is non refundable.   If I cancel (since it's nearly a year early) I lose JUST the $200 or I'd have to make a change to keep all but the $200? I think I gave $750. 

Again asking because if I have to change or lose all $750 then I'll do it on the phone rather than Next Cruise.  

Can't call because dh is right here lol. 

See post number 2.  It depends when you booked this. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am actually surprised to hear the Greenland sailing on Grandeur is cheaper than your Alaska cruise.    I say go for the Greenland cruise!!😄

So am I, but they did mention the airfare is part of the equation. We booked Greenland early this year and the prices have gone up a lot. Should be a blast to see something the new. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

So am I, but they did mention the airfare is part of the equation. We booked Greenland early this year and the prices have gone up a lot. Should be a blast to see something the new. 

Pretend for a minute that excursions aren't a factor and I book a similar type cabin for each.  Just in going from 3 if us to 2 if us the cruise fare is half (well when i say "cruise fare" I had booked a land/sea trip. Not just cruise to Alaska). 

Then add in pre trip hotel, airfare for 3...   all in for the Alaska I had envisioned was well over $10K.   Greenland for 15 nights can swoop in under $4500 including gas money to drive PA to Boston. Not considering parking since we'd have to park either near the airport for Alaska or Boston for Greenland.  

• Like 1

Too bad you’re not on the RT sailing this year from Bayonne. You would save some money. I’m on the Jewel sailing in Sept., and although I’ve been to Qaqortoq, I’m  forward to 2 new ports.

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

Pretend for a minute that excursions aren't a factor and I book a similar type cabin for each.  Just in going from 3 if us to 2 if us the cruise fare is half (well when i say "cruise fare" I had booked a land/sea trip. Not just cruise to Alaska). 

Then add in pre trip hotel, airfare for 3...   all in for the Alaska I had envisioned was well over $10K.   Greenland for 15 nights can swoop in under $4500 including gas money to drive PA to Boston. Not considering parking since we'd have to park either near the airport for Alaska or Boston for Greenland.  

Based on this info then it would definitely be in your best interest to change sailings to Greenland for next year.   I just looked at that sailing the other day as it is one I want to do too!   Looks like a great itinerary.  

In fact, I would probably call royal this weekend to do the switch instead of waiting till next month when prices could be higher.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Too bad you’re not on the RT sailing this year from Bayonne. You would save some money. I’m on the Jewel sailing in Sept., and although I’ve been to Qaqortoq, I’m  forward to 2 new ports.

I never considered Greenland before tbh. We're doing a 9 night next week but the original plan was to give my dh Alaska as a surprise this August to celebrate our 15th. We'd then travel next June.

But as I said I've not gotten some income I was expecting so I'm not sure we'll be able to do Alaska.  

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Based on this info then it would definitely be in your best interest to change sailings to Greenland for next year.   I just looked at that sailing the other day as it is one I want to do too!   Looks like a great itinerary.  

In fact, I would probably call royal this weekend to do the switch instead of waiting till next month when prices could be higher.

Just waiting for him to go to work tomorrow  lol. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Just a note to add that we'd do Greenland just the 2 of us (not dd since it's during school) and that trip would be CONSIDERABLY less. We'd have to drive to Boston but save on airfare, hotels precruise, and several thousand over the cruise cost alone. 

Why not ask while on royal at the next cruise desk. That is what I would do.

Sadi,

It will still cost you the airfare, at least one hotel night in Anchorage and the transfer to Seward, but have you considered just cancelling the land tour portion and just taking the cruise?

2 minutes ago, ngrund said:

t will still cost you the airfare, at least one hotel night in Anchorage and the transfer to Seward, but have you considered just cancelling the land tour portion and just taking the cruise?

Not being argumentative, but I wouldn't do this. We spent 10 days on land before a 7 night cruise southbound in 2018 and the land portion contained even more highlights than the cruise portion.

I'd enjoy any cruise anywhere but I personally wouldn't go all the way to Alaska without spending some time on land.

To the OP, enjoy Greenland... "idiot." 😁

9 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Not being argumentative, but I wouldn't do this. We spent 10 days on land before a 7 night cruise southbound in 2018 and the land portion contained even more highlights than the cruise portion.

I'd enjoy any cruise anywhere but I personally wouldn't go all the way to Alaska without spending some time on land.

True, but in this case, as I know which one this is (I am on the same cruise tour) the land is only 3 days-train to Denali, day in Denali, overnight in Talkneeta and The wildlife conservation center outside Anchorage.

I’d go ahead and switch ships, yes you are charged $100 per person to switch but everything you’ve paid to date does go towards the new cruise, you’ve just “reduced” it by $200 since that amount is added to your invoice.

I switched our sailing for fall 2024 from Galveston to Cape Liberty simply for airfare and all other travel costs (can drive to Cape Liberty). It was easy to switch! I wouldn’t wait to do it on board, there won’t be any additional perks and it may go up in cost. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sadiwest said:

I never considered Greenland before tbh. We're doing a 9 night next week but the original plan was to give my dh Alaska as a surprise this August to celebrate our 15th. We'd then travel next June.

But as I said I've not gotten some income I was expecting so I'm not sure we'll be able to do Alaska.  

To me personally,   a cruise to Greenland would be a greater surprise than a trip to Alaska.   How many people can say they have been to Greenland?    I would even consider sailing with a ship full of New Yorkers to get there, lol.  Alaska will always be there.  Cruises to Greenland may not.  Have fun whatever you decide.  

8 hours ago, ngrund said:

Sadi,

It will still cost you the airfare, at least one hotel night in Anchorage and the transfer to Seward, but have you considered just cancelling the land tour portion and just taking the cruise?

I did but the cost is still prohibitive for us all things considered. 

8 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Appreciate it.  Truth is I ended up not being able to do Greenland either.  Dd would be in school and I couldn't get a set of grandparents to stay at our house for two weeks.

For now, Alaska is on hold (maybe 2025?) But dh and I will do a child free 9 night next year instead.  Dd and pup will go to her grandparents' house. Still a surprise cruise. Child-free is the big ticket gift. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

I did but the cost is still prohibitive for us all things considered. 

Too bad that $ didn't come in as you expected. I'm trying to get the wife to agree to a cruise to Greenland for 2025

• Like 1

For now, Alaska is on hold (maybe 2025?)

Sorry things didn’t go as planned. You’ll have a great time when you go but the fewer limitations the better.

But dh and I will do a child free 9 night next year instead.

And I’m sure you’ll have a great time wherever that takes you.

I think you know from our past interaction we mostly just sail around the Caribbean frugally (or what now passes for frugal with current prices on Wonder at least) and never have a bad cruise. So when I say Alaska is worth spending extra time/money on, it means something.

• Like 1